[MyAppleMenu] Oct 20, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Oct 20 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** iOS App 'Translates' PowerPoint For iPad Viewing <http://www.macworld.com/article/163113/2011/10/ios_app_translates_powerpoint_for_ipad_viewing.html#lsrc.rss_main>
John Cox, Network World

A new iOS app from Brainshark lets Apple iPad users accurately view full-blown PowerPoint presentations on the tablet.

**** Celebration Of Steve Jobs' Life <http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/10/19October-19-Employee-Celebration-of-Steve-Jobs-Life.html>
Apple

**** About Data Security With Safari-only Mode In OS X Lion <http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20122799-263/about-data-security-with-safari-only-mode-in-os-x-lion/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

The second reason for Safari mode is its main purpose, which is to provide a means for the system to be used without potential damage or access to your data in the event your system has been stolen.

**** Dragon Adds Recorder App For Time-shifted Desktop Dictation <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/10/19/dragon-adds-recorder-app-for-time-shifted-desktop-dictation/>
Michael Rose, TUAW

Dragon Recorder is a free and straightforward voice recording app designed to pair with the company's transcription software; on the Mac, that means the $150 MacSpeech Scribe application. You can use Recorder to record your voice (only yours; Scribe and its Windows sister product are speaker-dependent) on the go, and then easily transfer the recordings via sync or Wi-Fi browser sharing for later transcription.

**** Just Kids <http://nymag.com/print/?/arts/books/features/jeffrey-eugenides-2011-10/>
Evan Hughes, New York

Jeffrey Eugenides insists his new novel is not a roman à clef. But it might have been: The writers of his generation had youths tangled enough for ten novels.

**** The Future Of Time <http://www.npr.org/blogs/13.7/2011/10/12/141217278/the-future-of-time?ps=cprs>
Adam Frank, NPR

What does it mean to be a time-bender? It begins by recognizing that the creation of new human times is a creative act. It means using whatever opportunities our lives afford (limited as they may be) to opt out of the old time-logic and create a new one.

**** Govt Open To Suggestions From Private Sector, Volunteers: Law Minister <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1160473/1/.html>
Evelyn Choo, Channel NewsAsia

Mr Shanmugam said: "We don't, as the government, have a monopoly on ideas - nor expertise, nor resources in every field. And there's a clear recognition that to achieve the best possible policies for Singapore, we have to tap on the private sector and volunteers. This ensures a range of perspectives and diverse, and often better ideas."

**** NCMP's Call For 'Right Sizing' Stirs Debate In Parliament <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC111020-0000177/NCMPs-call-for-right-sizing-stirs-debate-in-Parliament>
Ong Dai Lin, Today

Mr Yee, whose speech prompted rebuttals from a number of People's Action Party MPs, said the Government has adopted a free market approach by outsourcing critical sectors such as public housing and transport to the private sector.

**** Connecting Politically: What's Changed <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_725089.html>
Kwan Jin Yao, Straits Times

Considering the electorate's growing awareness, MPs must also be prepared to communicate and share perspectives on national policy concerns.

**** Train Faults: Ease Worries Of Students Sitting Exams <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_725046.html>
Mak Seck Hong, Straits Times

To ensure that such students are not disadvantaged, the Ministry of Education should work out a contingency plan with all examination centres to allow these candidates to sit their exams with no time penalty.

Perhaps it's time to have students take national examinations near their homes.

**** Why Congestion Pricing Will Always Be Unpopular <http://blogs.reuters.com/felix-salmon/2011/10/19/why-congestion-pricing-will-always-be-unpopular/>
Felix Salmon, Reuters

If you want to implement a system which keeps traffic below maximum capacity, then you need to apply significant pressure on drivers to keep them away from the roads. And that means not just implementing a congestion charge, but also regularly increasing the amount of the charge over time.

**** Singapore Prepared To Build 100,000 Flats To Meet Demand <http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hGWUomYWiVzT4tdI0uIEOamV6snw?docId=CNG.ec1cd1bbaf28dd037ab57c6e16087dc5.861>
AFP

The remarks by national development minister Khaw Boon Wan came amid complaints from citizens about runaway housing prices, a major issue in parliamentary and presidential elections this year that saw the ruling party lose significant popular support.

**** Singapore Defends Security Law As Terror 'Shield' <http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5h131gj-NO9RlQfkSwZut4oMWWkqQ?docId=CNG.ec1cd1bbaf28dd037ab57c6e16087dc5.9a1>
AFP

Singapore on Wednesday defended a tough British colonial-era law allowing detention without trial as a "shield" against terror attacks and rejected calls for its abolition.

**** Singapore Is 7th Most Expensive Office Location Worldwide <http://sbr.com.sg/commercial-property/news/singapore-7th-most-expensive-office-location-worldwide>
Singapore Business Review

**** My Speech At Parliament Debate On President’s Address, 19 October 2011 <http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150354586549601>
Baey Yam Keng

Whether we like it or not, civic engagement in cyberspace has to be treated with the same level of respect and care, planned and delivered with the same competence we wish to achieve in our physical domain. Netizens expect their government to engage with finesse, diplomacy and sincerity. This is no different from face to face interactions.

The government must be able to differentiate among different areas in cyberspace, customise its communications strategies and apply the appropriate treatment.

**** Mindef Gets It Again From AG <http://pratapolitics.blogspot.com/2011/10/mindef-gets-it-again-from-ag.html>
Prata Politics

**** Failed To Do Your Job? Well Just Put Others Down. <http://javertworld.blogspot.com/2011/10/failed-to-do-your-job-well-just-put.html>
Javet's World

Instead of doing his job improving the life of Singaporean and making Singapore a nice place to live in, Khaw Boon Wah has to gunned down Bhutan as they are measuring their people happiness index.

**** 为本地剧 把脉开方 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/fk/fk111020_001.shtml>
洪铭铧, 联合早报

整理出大家的意见与观点,不难看出,本地剧素质下滑的问题盘根错节,如一些悲观的人所说已是病入膏肓,如要治愈不能单靠病者自疗。来到这个临界点,若不再破釜沉舟,会否永远太迟了。然而,谁是破釜的人?用什么方式沉舟?这些问题,相信只有当局或站在某个高度的人才有答案吧。

**** Question For Charles Chong <http://atans1.wordpress.com/2011/10/20/question-for-charles-chong/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor

**** Equal Treatment For All NSmen: Ng Eng Hen <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1160642/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

Replying to questions in Parliament on the disruption of NS by Dr Patrick Tan, the son of President Tony Tan Keng Yam, Dr Ng said the disruption was in accordance with prevailing policies to obtain his medical degree. In addition, a longer period was granted to those admitted to US medical schools.

Dr Ng said: "There was no preferential treatment given to Patrick Tan, or any other individual who has disrupted, because of their 'connections'. Let me emphasise to all, including commanders on the ground, that no NS man should be accorded preferential treatment.

"I would like to further assure Singaporeans that Mindef implements a policy of selective disruption for university studies fairly and openly, in accordance with existing criteria. Mindef shall henceforth publish the list of all those disrupted for university (education) annually on a routine basis for public scrutiny."

**** Pritam Singh’s Speech (Debate On President’s Address) <http://wp.sg/2011/10/pritam-singhs-speech-debate-on-presidents-address/>
The Workers' Party

Mr Speaker Sir, there is a lot of scope for this government to take good governance to the next level and divert the focus from misinformation or disinformation online towards building institutions that promote communication, transparency and accountability between the state and all Singaporeans. Any sincere effort by the government is likely to have significant knock-on consequences online. Each of these proposals, a freedom of information act, public release of official information, the office of the Ombudsman and whistleblower protection are key nodes in a system of trust that would give Singaporeans the tools necessary to rely less on the government for solutions and play their part in active citizenship.

**** Happiness: Bhutan Vs Singapore <http://blogging4myself.blogspot.com/2011/10/i-enjoyed-khaw-boon-wans-speech-on.html>
Blogging For Myself

Truly, the fashion we pursued growth over the last few years were not sustainable. So it is wise to layer over what we have new indicators for happiness however rough, raw and imperfect it might be. Let's just get going.

**** PM Confident Of 'Providing A Better Life For All' <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC111020-0000482/PM-confident-of-providing-a-better-life-for-all>
Today