[MyAppleMenu] Nov 29, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Nov 29 18:59:00 EST 2011

**** The Best System Tweaker For Mac <http://lifehacker.com/5862462/the-best-system-tweaker-for-mac>
Adam Dachis, Lifehacker

Our favorite is OnyX for its exhaustive feature set that provides both basic and easy options for any kind of user.

**** Mission Control In OS X: Don't Forget The Pinch <http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57332213-263/mission-control-in-os-x-dont-forget-the-pinch/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

**** Quickly Remove Finder Sidebar Items With A Keyboard & Mouse Trick <http://www.cultofmac.com/131630/quickly-remove-finder-sidebar-items-with-a-keyboard-mouse-trick-os-x-tips/>
David W. Martin, Cult Of Mac

The old drag-to-remove option still works, but not without the Command key.

**** iTether App Offers Internet Tethering On Your iPhone For One Time Fee <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/29/itether-app-offers-internet-tethering-on-your-iphone-for-one-time-fee/>
Arnold Kim, MacRumors

Tether.com has somehow gotten App Store approval for their iPhone companion application "iTether". The $14.99 App Store app allows users to share their iPhone's internet connection with their Mac or PC computer over USB.

**** ShareMouse Review <http://www.macworld.co.uk/macsoftware/reviews/?reviewid=3321061&olo=rss>
Karl Hodge, Macworld

ShareMouse is an easy-to-use virtual keyboard and mouse sharing program. Simply plug a keyboard and mouse into one computer on your network, and you’ll be able to use them on any other local machine that has the program installed.

**** Start Dictation By Lifting Your iPhone 4S To Your Ear <http://www.macworld.com/article/163872/2011/11/start_dictation_by_lifting_your_iphone_4s_to_your_ear.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

Whenever your iPhone 4S displays the on-screen keyboard, there’s a microphone icon at the bottom left; if you tap that icon, Siri will begin transcribing whatever you dictate. But you can save yourself that tap by lifting your iPhone to your ear when the keyboard appears on the screen. A single tone will sound (as opposed to Siri’s more traditional double-beep) to indicate that your 4S is listening and ready to transcribe. When you’re finished dictating, simply lower the phone again.

**** Macworld Guide To AppleCare <http://www.macworld.com/article/163758/2011/11/macworld_guide_to_applecare.html?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+%28The+Loop%29>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

Is it worth paying for the extra coverage? What exactly does AppleCare cover, and how does it work? Here's a guide to AppleCare to help you decide if you should buy this extended warranty with your next Apple product.

**** Apple Approves, Then Pulls, iTether App <http://www.macworld.com/article/163888/2011/11/apple_approves_itether_app_for_ios.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

The company behind iTether published a statement on Tuesday in light of the app's removal, claiming that Apple cited the fact that the app “burdens the carrier network” in explaining the decision to unapprove it—even though, Tether claims, Apple understood the app’s primary function before it was released.

**** Startup Hopes To Hack The Immigration System With A Floating Incubator <http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/11/startup-hopes-to-hack-the-immigration-system-with-a-floating-incubator.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Timothy B. Lee, Ars Technica

Blueseed plans to buy a ship and turn it into a floating incubator anchored in international waters off the coast of California.

**** Food For Thought But No Makan <http://singaporesojourn.blogspot.com/2011/11/food-for-thought-but-no-makan.html>
Singapore Sojourn

**** PRs Who Do Not Serve NS May Not Be At A Disadvantage <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC111129-0000043/PRs-who-do-not-serve-NS-may-not-be-at-a-disadvantage>
Sreedharan Sechachalam, Today

>From a pragmatic viewpoint, I do not suggest a blanket ban for all who renounce their PR status prior to serving NS. However, I would like to be assured that there are valid reasons for allowing them to study and work here.

And if they are permitted to do so, they must be put at a relative disadvantage, in some manner, for not having performed NS. This will further strengthen the mindset of those who serve NS that they do have an edge in applying to study or work here.

**** Storms In Teacups Over Hurt, Not Harm <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/11/storms-in-teacups-over-hurt-not-harm/>
Benjamin Cheah, The Online Citizen

Feelings were hurt, but no harm has been done or will be done. This means that it should not be a police matter.

**** Discrimination Online And The MICA Verdict <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/11/discrimination-online-and-the-mica-verdict/>
Howard Lee, The Online Citizen

We have passed that critical point where we hide behind policies, rules, laws and yes, even codes of conduct to express our differences. Talking about more regulation will bring us no nearer to the information society that MICA aims to advance. We will only grow narrower as a society.

**** S'pore Can Do Better Than Hong Kong <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_739051.html>
Tham Pui Ying, Straits Times

I have seen how tiny the flats are in Hong Kong. The living room sofa often has to double up as a regular bed. And people there do not enjoy going home, because it is so cramped and there is no privacy. As a result, Hong Kongers tend to stay out and return home only to sleep.

If this is going to happen here, how does that improve family life? That surely will mean a decline in the quality of living.

**** Et Tu Mr Khaw <http://speakspokewritewrote.wordpress.com/2011/11/29/et-tu-mr-khaw/>
SpeakSpokeWriteWrote

Ms Tin, no matter how capable she is will find going forward extremely difficult. Mr Khaw’s statement is more damaging than helpful. Her marriage to the principal secretary of the PM already made the public scoff and cry out, “cronyism.” This eg that Mr Khaw cited gave further “proof” for those who love to hate Ms Tin.

**** Jail For Bosses Who Mistreat Workers, Says Judge <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/11/29/jail-for-bosses-who-mistreat-workers-says-judge/>
Alex Au, Yawning Bread

Also evident from the video was the attitude of the police. According to the men interviewed, the police had been called several times; they came, took a look and went off each time. Until someone died.

**** 不满要放弃新加坡公民权被拒 在港出世少年申请司法检讨 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp111129_004.shtml>
郑靖豫, 联合早报

距离办理国民服役登记手续还有一年,在香港出世的少年要放弃新加坡公民权。可是,移民与关卡局以他未满21岁为由,拒绝受理。此外,该局提醒少年在18岁时得入伍服役。少年不满该局的决定,向高庭申请司法检讨。

在服兵役前放弃永久居民资格的新移民第二代在同时期里有4200人。换言之,每三个新移民的儿子当中,有两个履行国民服役,另一个则不要入伍当兵,愿意放弃永久居民的资格。

**** In Singapore, A Tangled Web Of Race And Religion <http://blogs.wsj.com/searealtime/2011/11/29/in-singapore-a-tangled-web-of-race-and-religion/>
Chun Han Wong, Wall Street Journal

Some observers argue social media had less to do with the latest incidents than the government’s own paternalistic and restrictive approach to race and religious relations.

Michael Barr, an academic and Singapore expert at Australia’s Flinders University, said official policies like the establishment of Chinese schools and the focus on ethnicity in public administration have undermined the government’s genuine efforts to promote harmony.

**** Asian Values Or Apeing The West? Part 2 <http://www.yoursdp.org/index.php/perspective/special-feature/5051--asian-values-or-apeing-the-west-part-2>
Singapore Democratic Party

Democracy is our one weapon that enables us to break out from the authoritarian control and secure for ourselves a better and more secure future. By rejecting the democratic system, we are in fact supporting our own oppression.

**** Singapore Chef Tries New Way To Save Rain Forest <http://blogs.wsj.com/searealtime/2011/11/28/singapore-chef-tries-new-way-to-save-rainforest/>
Kaylene Hong, Wall Street Journal

Singapore-based chef Andre Chiang is on a mission to save a rain forest and he’s planning to start by serving what an orangutan eats—wild ferns, orchid leaves and durian flowers, among other plants.

The Taiwan-born, French-trained chef’s concept is simple: Diners who tuck into his “Orangutan Salad,” he hopes, will also think about saving the creature behind the dish’s name.

**** Eurozone Crisis: The View From Singapore <http://www.forbes.com/sites/simonmontlake/2011/11/28/eurozone-crisis-the-view-from-singapore/>
Forbes

**** Singapore Home Prices May Be Poised To Plunge <http://blogs.wsj.com/searealtime/2011/11/28/singapore-home-prices-may-be-poised-to-plunge/?mod=google_news_blog>
Eric Bellman, Wall Street Journal

The city-state’s red-hot residential real estate market could be poised to plummet 20% to 30% over the next three years – at least according to some analysts, who say demand is dampening just as a flood of new flats is hitting the market.

**** MP Irene Ng: I Do Not Get <i>Any</i> Bonus From ISEAS <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/11/mp-irene-ng-i-do-not-get-any-bonus-from-iseas/>
Chong Ai Ling, The Online Citizen

We assured Ms Ng that it was not TOC’s attempt in trying to ‘flame’ anyone, but a genuine and legitimate query to dispel the misinformation (if there were any).

**** The New Light In The Old Harbour <http://thelongnwindingroad.wordpress.com/2011/11/29/the-new-light-in-the-old-harbour/>
Jerome Lim, The Long And Winding Road

**** A New Era? <http://hardhitting-nobs.blogspot.com/2011/11/new-era.html>
Musings From The Lion City

No one want to just hear the right things from the PAP, they are now waiting for the right actions. As they say; talk is cheap! The PAP need to come out with new policies to convince Singaporean they are serious about listening to the people.

**** What The News Of The Numbers Of PRs Owning HDB Flats (And How It Was Reported) Tells Us <http://atans1.wordpress.com/2011/11/29/what-the-news-of-the-numbers-of-prs-owning-hdb-flats-and-how-it-was-reported-tells-us/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor

No surprise then that the government and PAP spin doctors, and ST and MediaCorp staff missed telling us something important. This piece of info shows that minister Mah did not know the numbers, or was fibbing when he said that PRs and FTs had no or little effect on public housing prices. They had an effect because he goofed, and then was in denial. Hence the silence when the local MSM or spin doctors could have rubbished TR’s assertions, and the belief that FTs are the the major cause for HDB price rises?

**** Police Give SlutWalk Event At Speakers' Corner The Go-ahead <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_739256.html>
Tessa Wong, Straits Times

A police spokesman confirmed that the organisers' permit application has been approved. But the organisers are now arguing that they do not need a permit in the first place. They are appealing to Home Affairs Minister Teo Chee Hean to waive the need for a permit.