[MyAppleMenu] Nov 26, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Nov 26 18:59:00 EST 2011

**** With Siri, Technology Finds Its Voice <http://www.macworld.com/article/163845/2011/11/with_siri_technology_finds_its_voice.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Michael deAgonia, Computerworld

This is what makes Siri different—and better—than earlier voice technology. With Siri, the syntax—that is, the way you phrase an inquiry—doesn’t always have to be exact. For the most part, when you make a request for information, dictate an email or issue a command, the technology behind Siri parses out what is meant and responds accordingly. As noted, most phones understand a “dial” command followed by a string of numbers, but Siri knows exactly what to do when told to “create a reminder for every Thursday morning at 7:08 to take out the trash.”

**** Review: Parallels Desktop 7 For Mac <http://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/review/2121718/review-parallels-desktop-mac>
Dave Bailey, Computing

**** Why Are Male Writers So Bad At Sex Scenes? <http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/the-womens-blog-with-jane-martinson/2011/nov/25/male-writers-bad-writing-sex?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Rowan Pelling, The Guardian

I can only posit a theory, but I tend to blame the higher rate of mortifying sex scenes in novels by men on the nature of their fantasies.