[MyAppleMenu] Nov 24, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Nov 24 18:59:00 EST 2011

**** How To Share A Family iPad <http://www.macworld.com/article/163347/2011/11/how_to_share_a_family_ipad.html>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** Five Unexpected Uses For The Control Key <http://www.macworld.com/article/143648/2010/11/controlkey.html>
Sharon Zardetto, Macworld

When you add it to common key combinations it lets you access all sorts of unexpected commands.

Adam Satariano, Bloomberg

“We were notified that the app was removed,” said Paul Thelen, founder of Big Fish, a game publisher in Seattle. The app had been available since Nov. 18, he said. “We’re trying to follow up with Apple to try to figure out what happened.”

Thelen said he was surprised by the move because Big Fish had worked with Apple for several weeks to ensure that it met the requirements for recurring monthly charges made through the App Store, a method most commonly used by magazines and newspaper publishers.

**** Nudge Thyself <http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/78fef17e-0f8a-11e1-88cc-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1eGSG95lf>
Stephen Cave, Financial Times

Economists have more to learn from the natural sciences if they are to claim a realistic model of human behavior.

**** The Extraordinary Syllabi Of David Foster Wallace <http://www.slate.com/articles/life/roiphe/2011/11/david_foster_wallace_s_syllabus_is_there_any_better_.single.html>
Katie Roiphe, Slate

What his lesson plans teach us about how to live.

**** Yahoo! Southeast Asia To 'Vigorously Defend' Itself Against SPH Suit <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC111124-0000105/Yahoo!-Southeast-Asia-to-vigorously-defend-itself-against-SPH-suit>
Today

In comments carried on the Yahoo! Southeast Asia website, its managing editor Alan Soon said yesterday: "We intend to vigorously defend ourselves against this suit. Our editorial business model of acquired, commissioned and original content is proven."

**** Another Round Of Monopoly Anyone? <http://sonofadud.com/2011/11/23/another-round-of-monopoly-anyone/>
Kenneth Jeyaretnam, Reinventing The Rice Bowl

Are these proposed changes to the Telecommunications Act anything other than a public relations charade designed to give the appearance of opening up the domestic economy to more competition? In fact they do nothing to reduce the power of government-owned or controlled cartels which dominate many of the key consumer sectors of the economy?

**** Graffiti As Art In Order-conscious Singapore <http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/23/uk-singapore-graffiti-idUSLNE7AM01220111123>
Cerelia Lim, Reuters

**** Weak Singapore Dollar A Reason Inflation's High <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_737453.html>
Aaron Low, Straits Times

A combination of persistently high car prices and a weaker Singapore currency is keeping inflation stubbornly high, even as economic growth slows down.

**** Hawkers Pay Up To $300k To Take Over Prime Stalls <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_737491.html>
Huang Lijie, Straits Times

Hawkers paying subsidised rents have been reaping huge payouts of up to $300,000 when they hand over their stalls to the new tenants.

**** Asian Values Or Apeing The West? <http://www.yoursdp.org/index.php/perspective/special-feature/5050-asian-values-or-apeing-the-west>
Singapore Democratic Party

We must wise up and see that the PAP has in fact foisted the Western system indiscriminately upon our society, a system that has reaped untold riches for the ruling class in Singapore but has left the rest of us impoverished, not just economically but poltically and morally as well.

**** Singapore Artists Fight For ‘Old School’ Landmark <http://blogs.wsj.com/scene/2011/11/23/singapore-artists-fight-for-old-school-landmark/>
Justin Zhuang, Wall Street Journal

Like the journey to Old School, it will be an uphill climb to preserve it. Ms. Tay is grateful for the Save campaign, but said they only have till December to convince the authorities to do so. If not, she’ll have to serve her tenants notice so that they can get the premises restored and returned by June.

“To make Singapore a creative center in Asia, we need a robust ecosystem that Old School has built up over the years,” she said. “Shutting us down means all these people have to start all over again.”

**** NSP's Goh Meng Seng Leaves Party <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC111124-0000150/NSPs-Goh-Meng-Seng-leaves-party->
Today

In a blog post entitled Journey Forward, NSP's former Secretary General Goh Meng Seng told his supporters he will be leaving the party.

See Also: Journey Forward [http://singaporealternatives.blogspot.com/2011/11/journey-forward.html], by Goh Meng Seng.

**** 1.75 Months' Year-end Bonus For Civil Servants <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/Singaporeinbrief/EDC111124-0000174/1,75-months-year-end-bonus-for-civil-servants>
Today

**** Additional Public Transport Capacity: Hard To Estimate Benefit <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/11/24/additional-public-transport-capacity-hard-to-estimate-benefit/>
Alex Au, Yawning Bread

**** Disappearance <http://piaroh.wordpress.com/2011/11/24/disappearance/>
Words Of The Cze

The URA doesn’t seem to get that at all. They have no idea what they’re demolishing, just like how the European colonials didn’t know what they were destroying when they deforested vast tracts of Asia and Africa. Unlike those colonists however, this knowledge is within the grasp of the URA – they need only realize it and seize it.

**** AMD Layoffs Hit Singapore <http://www.zdnetasia.com/amd-layoffs-hit-singapore-62303002.htm>
Liau Yun Qing, ZDNet

Chipmaker AMD has confirmed reports that planned job cuts have hit its Singapore operations, but declined to give more information other than reiterating that Singapore remains a "vital part" of its global operations.

**** SPH Sues Yahoo! – A First Here For Old Media Versus New Media? <http://www.techgoondu.com/2011/11/24/sph-sues-yahoo-a-first-for-old-media-versus-new-media/>
Alfred Siew, Techgoondu

To be sure, there is nothing illegal about reporting on what is already in the newspapers. Indeed, if you follow the news on most online sites today, you’d see that the reputable ones often do cite their sources, especially when it comes to news articles that originate from other news outlets.

**** Respecting Personal Choice Or Washing Off Our Hands? <http://singaporegirl.wordpress.com/2011/11/24/respecting-personal-choice-or-washing-off-our-hands/>
Food Fuels Me To Talk...

And just as we don’t leave people who want to commit suicide to execute their desire — if we can prevent it! – by shrugging it off as a “personal choice”, I think we can’t, mustn’t, leave those who are desperately poor to shift for themselves, just because they say it’s what they want!