[MyAppleMenu] May 31, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue May 31 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Review: Bento 4 <http://apple.it-enquirer.com/2011/05/30/review-bento-4/>
Alphons Brookson, IT.Enquirer

**** Reason 5 Review <http://www.macworld.co.uk/digitallifestyle/reviews/index.cfm?reviewid=3282770&olo=rss>
Peter Kirn, Macworld UK

Reason 5 is a must-have upgrade for anyone who uses audio inputs or samples, or wants to program beats. And Kong’s superior sound-design power coupled with elegant, efficient editing makes for one of the most accessible, fun-to-use drum machines in software yet.

**** Apple Initiates MacBook Bottom Case Replacement Program <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/05/30/apple_initiates_macbook_bottom_case_replacement_program.html>
Josh Ong, AppleInsider

Apple has initiated a case replacement program for MacBooks shipped between October 2009 and April 2011 to resolve an issue where the rubber separates from the bottom of the case.

**** Gaming On The Mac: Still Playing Second Fiddle <http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-20066891-248.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
Josh Lowensohn, CNET

So why are Mac users still treated like second-class gamers? The simplest answer is that the Mac is still a smaller market, at less than a tenth of the size of machines running Microsoft's Windows. For a development house, putting resources into a Mac version may not bring back the kind of returns you get on the PC side, which itself now plays second fiddle to game consoles.

**** Syncing Your Google Account With An iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/article/160078/2011/05/sync_google_docs_iphone.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Tony Bradley, PCWorld

**** Apple To Unveil Next Generation Software At Keynote Address On Monday, June 6 <http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/05/31wwdc.html>
Apple

Apple® CEO Steve Jobs and a team of Apple executives will kick off the company’s annual Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) with a keynote address on Monday, June 6 at 10:00 a.m. At the keynote, Apple will unveil its next generation software - Lion, the eighth major release of Mac OS® X; iOS 5, the next version of Apple’s advanced mobile operating system which powers the iPad®, iPhone® and iPod touch®; and iCloud®, Apple’s upcoming cloud services offering.

**** Automator Workflow Of The Month: Create To-do Items Anywhere <http://www.macworld.com/article/160106/2011/05/to_do_automator.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** Seven Mac Gems For A Steal <http://www.macworld.com/article/160176/2011/05/productive_macs_bundle.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

**** Apple Rolls Out iWork For iPhone, iPod Touch <http://www.macworld.com/article/160180/2011/05/iwork_iphone_ipod_touch.html>
Dan Moren, Macworld

More than a year after Apple released the iPad versions of its iWork productivity suite, the company has finally announced an update that brings Pages, Numbers, and Keynote to the iPhone and iPod touch. Now you can finally crunch numbers, prep your presentations, and update your family newsletter no matter where you go.

**** Update Brings Enhanced Malware Protection For Snow Leopard <http://www.macworld.com/article/160191/2011/05/snow_leopard_malware_protection.html>
Dan Moren, Macworld

Weighing in at 2.36MB, it requires Mac OS X 10.6.7 and it tackles Mac Defender from three angles.

**** The Quantum Computer Is Growing Up: Repetitive Error Correction In A Quantum Processor <http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-05-quantum-repetitive-error-processor.html>
Physorg

A team of physicists at the University of Innsbruck, led by Philipp Schindler and Rainer Blatt, has been the first to demonstrate a crucial element for a future functioning quantum computer: repetitive error correction. This allows scientists to correct errors occurring in a quantum computer efficiently. The researchers have published their findings in the scientific journal Science.

**** Poem Of The Week: The Cuckoo Song <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2011/may/30/poem-week-cuckoo-song?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Carol Rumens, The Guardian

Have a murie bank holiday. You might hear a cuccu, if you're luccy. And if the weather's really awful, sing along with Ezra Pound instead.

**** What's Behind America's Love Of Barbecue? <http://www.salon.com/food/feature/2011/05/30/memorial_day_barbecue/index.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+salon-food+%28Salon%3A+Food%29>
Felisa Rogers, Salon

As a Yankee, I wouldn't dare to pontificate on the contentious history of barbecue as a food -- better leave that to the Southerners. But as an enthusiast of grilled meat and backyards, I certainly feel qualified to hold forth on that other use of the word "barbecue": the outdoor cookout.

**** Writing For Love <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2011/may/31/writing-for-love-a-l-kennedy?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
AL Kennedy, The Guardian

And it's a reminder – Dum-dah-dum, da dah-dum dah-dum – of a deep pleasure in being a writer: the permanent music it provides.

**** Silent Manners <http://www.slate.com/id/2295563/?from=rss>
Carl Dennis, Slate

**** Chiam On Closure Of Void-deck Office <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_674309.html>
Chiam See Tong, Straits Times

In 1992, the HDB swiftly demolished my MP's office within a day. This occurred a year after my former party (Singapore Democratic Party) won three seats in Parliament. I was then forced to use the void deck, and this was where I conducted my MPS.

**** Consequence Of Hire-fire Policies: Unhappiest Workers In The World. <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2011/05/consequence-of-hire-fire-policies.html>
Diary Of A Singapore Mind

Singapore workers were once ranked number 1 in the word in the 80s and early 90s.....now they are ranked number 1 in unhappiness and have one of the lowest productivity growth among workers in developed nations.

**** Dr Tan Cheng Bock Will Be The Next President, Thanks To Lim Boon Heng & Inderjit Singh... <http://anonymousxwrites.blogspot.com/2011/05/dr-tan-cheng-bock-will-be-next.html>
Anonymous X

Aww, Dr Tan is being an underdog now? We love underdogs!

**** The Elected Presidency: We Need Real Options <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110531-0000030/The-Elected-Presidency--We-need-real-options>
Daniel Koh Kah Soon, Today

Although Dr Tan has on a few occasions been an outspoken MP when he took a view contrary to that put forward by the Government, we need real options and not what may be perceived as cosmetic choice.

**** Running Dogs Of Tan Cheng Bock. <http://udders.blogspot.com/2011/05/running-dogs-of-tan-cheng-bock.html>
I Have Succumbed To Peer Pressure

And at the end of the day, if Tan Cheng Bock is really sincere about serving the people, he should do something that no member of the PAP government has done up till now: apologise to the poor, innocent victims of Operation Spectrum.

**** The Crime Of Earning $10k <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2011/05/crime-of-earning-10k.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

No one must be forced to eat sharksfins and force to pay for it. The $10k ceiling is another mean testing that is wicked to the core, like its parallel in healthcare. It only serves to fatten the pockets of speculators and developers at the expense of the young people. Just go and build the flats that the people need, and stop the silly reasoning.

**** There You Go Again <http://lohandbehold.com/2011/05/31/there-you-go-again/>
Loh And Behold

**** 林瑞莲:向建屋局了解细节才决定建办事处 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110531_010.shtml>
顾功垒, 联合早报

林瑞莲说:“我们将同建屋局联络,了解一些目前并不十分清楚的环节,过后再花点时间来考虑是否建办事处。

**** PM Lee Defends His Own Grassroots Activists From Internal Flak <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2011/05/pm-lee-defends-his-own-grassroots.html>
Gilbert Koh, Mr Wang Says So

I don't know how much the PAP MPs rely on their grassroots activists to give them feedback about the ground. I do wonder if the PAP MPs are aware of the inherent weaknesses of such a feedback mechanism.

**** Supplement To May 17 Commentary ‘The GE 2011 Political Demise Of Lee Kuan Yew: A Supreme Irony’ <http://catherinelim.sg/2011/05/31/supplement-to-may-17-commentary-the-ge-2011-political-demise-of-lee-kuan-yew-a-supreme-irony/>
Catherine Lim

So did Mr Lee’s resignation show that he was accepting responsibility for the PAP’s worst performance at the polls in 40 years, and by extension, admitting, even if only tacitly, that some of his past deeds had indeed caused great unhappiness to the people who were only able to show their resentment in GE 2011?

In the new post-GE 2011 atmosphere of healing and starting afresh, the answer is no longer important. Indeed, it may even be unhelpful, in the light of the new situation that Mr Lee is now in. Almost immediately after GE 2011, he returned with renewed energy and enthusiasm to his role as traveling world consultant and statesman. With his enormous experience and expertise, he will continue to benefit Singapore, but no longer in the old controversial role. If he is clearly putting that part of the past behind him, it would be most unseemly for Singaporeans to continue debating about it. Indeed debate about whether or not he deserves gratitude may even be distasteful to him. Therefore, in recognition of and respect for his new position, the acrimonies surrounding him should be laid to rest once and for all, as part of the closing of the old era, and the welcoming of a new one.

**** Singapore Airlines' Budget Carrier A Risky Gamble <http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/singapore-airlines-budget-carrier-a-risky-gamble-20110531-1fds1.html>
AFP

Singapore Airlines' decision to launch a long-haul budget carrier is a risky but necessary gamble as it comes under growing pressure at both ends of the market, aviation analysts said.

**** ‘Slower Growth Means Fewer Job Opportunities’ – Reflections Of Comments By Minister Khaw <http://yeejj.wordpress.com/2011/05/31/345/>
Yee Jenn Jong

Minister Khaw, we do want to grow. But please consider how we can grow with our own timber rather than rely on pumping the economy with steroids as we did in the past.

**** How Long Will The Ponzi Scheme Last? <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2011/05/how-long-will-ponzi-scheme-last.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

**** More Transparency Needed In Our Town Councils <http://article14.blogspot.com/2011/05/more-transparency-needed-in-our-town.html>
Article 14

**** Slower Economic Growth = Lower Starting Pay For Singaporeans? <http://sgpublicpolicy.wordpress.com/2011/05/30/slower-economic-growth-lower-starting-pay-for-singaporeans/>
Scrutinizing The Singapore Government

I view such statements with much discontent as it was cunningly delivered in a threatening tone. Mr Khaw is basically threatening: Support pro-foreigner policy or be prepared to suffer in your take home pay. When, when, when, when, when will the PAP ever really understand that money is not everything and the real reasons for demanding slower influx of foreigners by Singaporeans?

**** Yeo Guat Kwang - PAP MP With 64 Other Jobs <http://singstatistician.blogspot.com/2011/05/yeo-guat-kwang-pap-mp-with-64-other.html>
Thoughts Of A Singapore Statistician

Somehow the word excessive seems grossly inadequate to describe what Mr Yeo is doing. Given that he is PM Lee's team mate in Ang Mo Kio GRC, I would assume PM Lee knows about this and approves of Mr Yeo's 64 other jobs. I would also assume that having 64 other jobs is consistent with the "Rules of Prudence" issued by PM Lee.

**** “Tens Of Thousands Of Rental Flats Needed” <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/“tens-of-thousands-of-rental-flats-needed”/>
Andrew Loh, The Online Citizen

At the end of the day, while building more flats is welcome, ultimately it is the affordability of public housing flats which is at the heart of the matter. Thus, Mr Khaw should look at this and come up with a solution, especially for the low-income and the needy.

**** The ‘O $ P $’ Issue <http://yawshinleong.blogspot.com/2011/05/o-p-issue.html>
Yaw Shin Leong

**** Statement On The Appointment Of The Leader Of The House And The Government Whip <http://www.news.gov.sg/public/sgpc/en/media_releases/agencies/micacsd/press_release/P-20110531-1.html?AuthKey=1ef6b442-8fc2-4749-8978-98404162fba1>
Prime Minister's Office, Singapore Government

**** Inspection Of List Of Non-voters & Restoration Of Non-voters’ Names To Registers Of Electors <http://www.elections.gov.sg/pressrelease/ParE2011/Press%20release%20-%20non-voter%20_31May_.pdf#zoom=100>
Elections Department, Singapore Government

In accordance with Section 43 of the Parliamentary Elections Act, the names of those eligible voters who failed to cast their votes (i.e. non-voters) at the 2011 General Election will be expunged from the Registers of Electors. Voting is compulsory. Non-voters will lose their eligibility to vote or stand as a candidate at future elections if their names are not restored to the Registers of Electors.

(Note: Link goes to a PDF document.)

**** 新加坡大选与政治文化变迁 <http://www.nfcmag.com/articles/2918>
薄智跃, 南风窗

随着新加坡经济、社会的发展,新加坡的老百姓已经不再满足于简单的经济增长,而要求更加注重社会道德价值的回归,更加希望执政党倾听民众的呼声,更加期盼政治的多元化。人心所向,促成了政治文化的转向。