[MyAppleMenu] May 18, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed May 18 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Apple's Legal Department 'Actively Investigating' Lodsys Threats <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/05/17/apples_legal_department_actively_investigating_lodsys_threats.html>
Sam Oliver, AppleInsider

**** Apple Adds Raw Support For Nikon D5100 <http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20063749-264.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
Stephen Shankland, CNET

**** Gauging Craziness: Why I Own An iPod Classic <http://blog.michaelsinanian.com/2011/05/15/gauging-craziness-why-i-own-an-ipod-classic/>
Michael Sinanian, The Humble Thought Peddler

**** How To Protect The iPad In The Kitchen <http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/17/how-to-protect-the-ipad-in-the-kitchen/?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Damon Darlin, New York Times

**** Using Google Docs On The iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/article/159907/2011/05/googledocs_iphone.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Tony Bradley, PCWorld

**** Mac App Store Exposes Users To Security Risks, Claims Researcher <http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011/05/18/mac-app-store-security-risks/>
Graham Cluley, Sophos

Put in simple terms, Apple seems to be falling short of the promise it makes in its promotion of the App Store that it "keeps track of your apps and tells you when an update is available" and that "you'll always have the latest version of every app you own."

**** Lawsuit Accuses Apple Of Violating Patented Wi-Fi Antenna Designs <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/05/18/lawsuit_accuses_apple_of_violating_patented_wi_fi_antenna_designs.html>
Sam Oliver, AppleInsider

The latest patent infringement lawsuit against Apple takes issue with Wi-Fi-enabled products, including the company's entire MacBook lineup.

**** App Store Approvals Frozen On In-app Purchase Products? <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/05/18/app-store-approvals-frozen-on-in-app-purchase-products/>
Victor Agreda, Jr., TUAW

**** iOS Apps With In-app Purchasing Being Approved By Apple Again <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/05/18/ios_apps_with_in_app_purchasing_not_being_approved_by_apple.html>
Katie Marsal, AppleInsider

Though in-app purchases were problematic for some developers for a week now, the issues in the system have reportedly been addressed, suggesting that any holdup was not related to the patent infringement suit.

**** Organizing Clippings And Cruft <http://www.macworld.com/article/159954/2011/05/organize_cruft.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** Mac OS X 10.6.7 Changes Finder Sidebar Behavior <http://tidbits.com/article/12183?rss>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

Now, instead of just dragging items out, you must either Command-drag them out or Control-click them and choose Remove from Sidebar.

**** TapeDeck 1.4 <http://www.macworld.com/article/159952/2011/05/tapedeck.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

Today’s Gem, TapeDeck, streamlines the process of making and organizing audio recordings—and does it with a user interface that will bring a smile to those of us who used an actual cassette deck back in the day.

**** An AppleCare Support Rep Talks: Mac Malware Is "Getting Worse" <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/an-applecare-support-rep-talks-mac-malware-is-getting-worse/3342>
Ed Bott, ZDNet

**** Why You Can't Really Anonymize Your Data <http://radar.oreilly.com/2011/05/anonymize-data-limits.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+oreilly%2Fradar%2Fatom+%28O%27Reilly+Radar%29>
Pete Warden, O'Reilly Radar

Accepting that anonymization is not a complete solution doesn't mean giving up, it just means we have to be smarter about our data releases.

**** 'The Woman Who Could Not Forget' <http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/05/15/RVHG1J9TAP.DTL>
Ianthe Brautigan, San Francisco Chronicle

Ying-Ying Chang, Iris Chang's mother, makes a brave strike by breaking this silence. Her intent, stated clearly in the book's title, "The Woman Who Could Not Forget: Iris Chang Before and Beyond The Rape of Nanking," is to ensure that her daughter's legacy won't be defined by its final act.

**** The Case For Shameful Fantasies <http://www.salon.com/life/feature/2011/05/17/masturbation/index.html>
Tracy Clark-flory, Salon

Masturbation has by no means conquered all social taboos -- will it ever, really? -- but when it comes to fantasy, we could all use some loosening up.

**** Roast Chicken For Two, A Recipe <http://www.slate.com/id/2294849/?from=rss>
Michael Ruhlman, Slate

Step 1: Preheat your oven. Step 2: Wash chicken. Step 3: Have sex with your partner.

**** Can Recipe Search Engines Make You A Better Cook? <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/18/dining/can-recipe-search-engines-make-you-a-better-cook.html?_r=2&ref=global-home>
Julia Moskin, New York Times

With 10 million recipe searches a day on Google alone, the results surely influence what Americans eat. But when you idly type in “cookies” — the most common recipe search, according to Google — do these systems evaluate recipes the way a good cook would, by the clarity of their directions, the helpfulness of their warnings, the tastiness of the results?

**** Little Things, Not Money Or Upgrading, Matter <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/little-things-not-money-or-upgrading-matter/>
Elaine Ong, The Online Citizen

We can do away with all the pompousness and fanfare. I still do not understand why till this day PAP MPs need such huge gathering of grassroots leaders to pave the way for the MPs’ visits. If it is to impress upon the ordinary folks the importance of their visits, then I for one am clearly not impressed.

**** Lifting The Party Whip: PAP MPs Share Their Views <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110518-0000213/Lifting-the-Party-Whip--PAP-MPs-share-their-views>
Leong Wee Keat, Today

PAP MPs who MediaCorp spoke to were split on the issue. While some called for the Whip to be lifted on more occasions, others reiterated that its use was necessary for party discipline and when tough policies had to be implemented.

**** This Will Not Wash <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2011/05/this-will-not-wash.html>
Singapore Notes

PM Lee made the rules. PM Lee also said at Boat Quay, "if we have to discipline somebody we will do that, and we must learn from the lessons, and never make the same mistake again." The ball is in PM's court.

**** A Singapore Fling With OneSteel <http://www.smh.com.au/business/a-singapore-fling-with-onesteel-20110517-1erdy.html>
Ian McIlwraith, Sydney Morning Herald

**** Out Of The LKY Shadow <http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2011/05/18/out-lky-shadow.html>
The Jakarta Post

LKY’s omnipresence in the Cabinet after 2001 may have given protective shade at the beginning, but his shadow is now starting to impair the vision of Singapore’s future.

**** PM Lee’s New Cabinet <http://blogs.todayonline.com/singaporevotes/2011/05/18/pm-lees-new-cabinet/>
Today

11 of the 14 ministries will have a new minister in charge. The new Cabinet will see 9 ministers stepping down from the previous team.

**** Three Retiring Ministers Reiterated Wish Not To Be Re-appointed: PM Lee <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1129657/1/.html>
Hetty Musfirah Abdul Khamid / Evelyn Choo, Channel NewsAsia

**** Night Of The Long Knives <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2011/05/night-of-long-knives.html>
Singapore Notes

**** Singapore To Preserve Two Historical Railway Stations <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/5/18/nation/20110518120453&sec=nation>
Bernama

According to the Malaysian High Commissioner to Singapore, Datuk Md Hussin Nayan, the move to list both stations as heritage centres is part of the Malaysia-Singapore Points of Agreement (POA) concluded in 1990. Md Hussin said the preparation for KTM services to terminate at WTCP is progressing well and is on schedule.

**** Singapore Prime Minister Announces New Cabinet <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v5/newsgeneral.php?id=587359>
Tengku Noor Shamsiah Tengku Abdullah, Bernama

The Prime Minister told a press conference at the Istana that Lee Kuan Yew was appointed senior advisor to the Government Investment Corporation while Goh Chok Tong was made senior advisor to the Monetary Authority of Singapore and named emeritus senior minister Goh Chok Tong.

**** SDP’s Statement On The Cabinet Appointments <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=6858>
Sgpolitics.net

We look forward to each minister coming out over the next days and weeks to clearly articulate the new policies and policy initiatives which we expect to be significantly different from their predecessors. Otherwise, it is a clear message that it is politics-as-usual from this government.

**** New Cabinet Lineup: Cynicism And Doubts Remain <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=6860>
Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

Until PM Lee as well as the new cabinet appointees announce what changes they would make to existing policies and how poor policies would be overhauled, there will still be many doubts.

**** MK Resident Files Complaint Against Alleged Cooling-off Day Violation <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/mk-resident-files-complaint-against-alleged-cooling-off-day-violation/>
Jewel Philemon, Elliot Aruldoss, The Online Citizen

In his statement, the resident said a female Chinese had knocked on his door and that she was wearing a T-shirt with the words ‘Grow and Share’. She identified herself as a staff from the Ministry of Finance. The Chinese woman then handed him a flyer titled ‘Rising Costs; How The Government Is Helping You’.

**** Bold Cabinet Line-up, Now For The Follow Through <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/toc-editorial-bold-cabinet-line-up-now-for-the-follow-through/>
The Online Citizen

PM Lee has taken an important first step at removing the unpopular ministers behind its proposals, but he needs to understand that a personnel reshuffle without a substantive change in policy delivery would create disillusionment and a backlash far worse than GE 2011.