[MyAppleMenu] May 16, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon May 16 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** In This Sky, The Planes Fly Alone <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/16/technology/16drones.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Malia Wollan, New York Times

**** Lee Hsien Loong Scores A Nought For Political Nous <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/05/15/lee-hsien-loong-scores-a-nought-for-political-nous/>
Au Waipang, Yawning Bread

When a politician has the right instincts, he can sense the moment and seize it. He can say what the crowd wants to hear even before the crowd knows what it wants. When a politician has a vision, decisions are easier to make. He simply asks himself, does this event take me nearer to my goal or further from it? And most of the time, the answer is fairly obvious.

The abject failure of Lee Hsien Loong to make capital of the opportunity just shows how second-rate he is. He failed to see the moment and thus fluffed it. He has no vision to measure events by, and is thus flummoxed by the resignations, wondering whether it’s for the better or worse. Perhaps he’s asking for a spreadsheet showing the pros and cons of this and that.

**** A House Divided <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2011/05/house-divided.html>
Singapore Notes

**** Trimmer, Slimmer, Leaner Cabinet: Analyst <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/pm-lee-now-fully-charge-analysts-072712048.html>
Alicia Wong, Yahoo!

PN Balji, who is the director of the Asia Journalism Fellowship and former editor-in-chief of Today newspaper told Yahoo! Singapore that he expects other older ministers to follow in MM Lee's and SM Goh's footsteps. Compared to the US which has 17 full ministers, Singapore is "over-sized" with 21 full ministers, he noted.

**** 为何女儿难以继续升学? <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/yl110516_007.shtml>
凌秀娴, 联合早报

教育部长曾说:“每个新加坡人都有机会求学。”我想请问部长,为何我的孩子只有一个简单的要求,就是想继续升学,却是如此艰难?

**** Danny The Democracy Bear Speaks Out <http://www.cnngo.com/singapore/life/danny-democracy-bear-speaks-out-239741>
Elaine Ee, CNNGo

You can't tell, meh? I am as Singaporean as MP for Pasir-Ris Punggol Dr Janil Puthucheary ... oops, not a good example.

**** Singapore Finds Its Roar: It's Goodbye Sober Living And Hello Gambling, White-knuckle Rides And Endless Partying <http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-1387298/Singapore-City-celebrates-Singapore-Biennale-Merlion-Hotel-art-installation.html>
Frank Barrett, Daily Mail

This new attitude means that a city that was once content to make a reasonable living as an unspectacular stopover place for senior citizens en route to Sydney to see the grandchildren is now establishing itself as a world-class destination in its own right. Not exactly naughty, perhaps - but very nicely exciting.

**** 西方对新加坡“选择性”遗忘背后的迷思 <http://world.people.com.cn/GB/57507/14642338.html>
丁刚, 人民网

这些西方媒体遗忘了什么?是新加坡近年来经济发展的成果。

**** SDP Calls On Supporters To Prepare Road To 2016 <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4831-sdp-calls-on-supporters-to-prepare-road-to-2016>
Singapore Democratic Party

**** Lee’s Party Aims To Renew Image After Singapore Vote <http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-05-15/singapore-ruling-party-seeks-to-renew-image-with-lee-kuan-yew-resignation.html>
Shamim Adam, Bloomberg

The political party that has ruled Singapore since independence in 1965 is seeking to overhaul its image with voters after the narrowest election victory on record signaled a shortfall in support among younger voters.

**** Long Goodbye <http://piaroh.wordpress.com/2011/05/15/long-goodbye/>
Words Of The Cze

As their final contribution to national politics, I ask that before their respective mortality catches up, they completely eradicate all traces of personality cults within the PAP, and within the civil service.