[MyAppleMenu] May 11, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed May 11 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Drives In OS X Appearing With '-1' Appended To Their Names <http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20061498-263.html>
Topher Kessler, CNET

**** Karelia Software Launches Sandvox 2 <http://www.macworld.com/article/159782/2011/05/sandvox2.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Jackie Dove, Macworld

Karelia Software has released Sandvox 2.0, an upgrade to its visual Website design software. The new version includes more than 60 new features and enhancements designed to make the Website builder more flexible.

**** Palua 1.0 <http://www.macworld.com/article/159799/2011/05/palua.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

This simple utility adds a systemwide menu for toggling between standard F-key functionality (“Function Mode”) and the special Apple functionality (“Apple Mode”).

**** Make Your Mac Tell The Time <http://www.macworld.com/article/159781/2011/05/terminal_say_command.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

**** Ballmer: We Won't Drop Skype Support For Mac, iOS <http://www.macworld.com/article/159807/2011/05/ballmer_skype.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Gregg Keizer, Computerworld

Ballmer was adamant that the new Microsoft Skype division would not ditch owners of iPhones, Android smartphones, Macs and more.

“A, I said it and I meant it,” said Ballmer when a reporter asked for assurances that Skype would continue to be available for operating systems and devices not sold by Microsoft. “B, we’re one of the few companies with a track record of doing this,” he added, citing Microsoft’s work on Mac OS X, where it develops and sells a Mac-specific version of its Office suite.

**** Apple iMac 27-inch (3.1GHz, Spring 2011) <http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/apple-imac-27-inch/4505-3118_7-34662591.html?tag=cnetRiver#reviewPage1>
Rich Brown, CNET

We recommend Apple's new 27-inch iMac to digital media editors and others with serious performance needs on the strength of its impressive speed, its connected device potential, and its market-leading 27-inch display.

**** 21.5- And 27-inch iMacs (Mid 2011) <http://www.macworld.com/article/159765/2011/05/imac2011.html#lsrc.rss_main>
James Galbraith, Macworld

The $1199 entry-level 21.5-inch 2.5GHz Core i5 iMac offers the most bang for the buck, keeping up with its more expensive siblings in most tasks. Its drawbacks include the lowest capacity hard drive, slower 3D game performance at higher resolutions, and a lack of customization options. The $1499 21.5-inch 2.7GHz Core i5 iMac offers a larger hard drive and modest processing and 3D game performance gains compared to the $1199 model. It’s the model you must choose if you want to customize your machine with a faster processor or different sotrage options.

**** Apple, Google Detail Mobile Privacy Policies Before US Senate Subcommittee <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/05/10/apple_google_detail_mobile_privacy_policies_before_us_senate.html>
Neil Hughes, AppleInsider

Apple Vice President of Software Technology Guy L. "Bud" Tribble spoke to members of the U.S. Senate on Tuesday, and reiterated his company's position that it makes user privacy one of its highest priorities. He also revealed methods the company uses to ensure developers follow the rules, including random audits of App Store software.

**** Apple Looking Into Senate Request For DUI Checkpoint App Removals <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/05/10/apple_looking_into_senate_request_for_dui_checkpoint_app_removals.html>
Josh Ong, AppleInsider

During a U.S. Senate subcommittee hearing on Tuesday, Apple vice president of software technology Guy L. "Bud" Tribble told senators that the company is in the process of "looking into" the legality of apps that broadcast police DUI checkpoints.

**** How To Create An External Boot Disk In OS X <http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20061565-263.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=MacFixIt>
Topher Kessler, CNET

**** Parallels: Run Windows, Linux Servers On Mac Mini <http://www.macworld.com/article/159778/2011/05/parallels_server_mac_mini.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Miller, Macworld

**** How To Convert Audio To Other Formats <http://www.macworld.com/article/159773/2011/05/convert_audio_to_other_formats.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

**** Apple Pulls iAds From iOS Software Geared Toward Children <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/05/11/apple_pulls_iads_from_ios_software_geared_toward_children.html>
Sam Oliver, AppleInsider

Citing a lack of interest from advertisers, Apple has decided it will not display advertisements from its iAd network in applications for the iPhone and iPad that are meant for children, according to one developer.

**** A Fruit With A Future <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/11/dining/dragon-fruit-has-a-knack-for-getting-noticed.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Jeff Gordinier, New York Times

If there is one thing the dragon fruit has mastered, it’s the art of the Hollywood entrance.

**** The iPad In Your Hand: As Fast As A Supercomputer Of Yore <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/09/the-ipad-in-your-hand-as-fast-as-a-supercomputer-of-yore/?smid=tw-nytimesbits&seid=auto>
John Markoff, New York Times

**** Death To High School English <http://www.salon.com/life/feature/2011/05/10/death_to_high_school_english/index.html>
Kim Brooks, Salon

My college students don't understand commas, far less how to write an essay. Is it time to rethink how we teach?

**** Calling It Quits <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2011/05/calling-it-quits.html>
Singapore Notes

**** “From Whence We Came”: A Young Singaporean’s Reponse To MM Lee’s Comments. <http://kirstenhan.me/2011/05/10/from-whence-we-came-a-young-singaporeans-reponse-to-mm-lees-comments/>
Funny Little World

So you see, I did not forget “from whence we came”. I remembered it, and voted so that not only would we be able to honour the good things we received “from whence we came”, we would also be able to make sure that things will be better where we are headed.

**** Can The SDP Become A Mainstream Opposition Party? <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=6814>
Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

The SDP can articulate its values with a kind of precision and intellectual rigour that no other opposition party, not even the WP, can duplicate as yet.

Furthermore, the quality of candidates that the SDP attracts can easily match those of any political political party — PAP or opposition.

**** One Party But Not Just One Outcome <http://blogs.forbes.com/timferguson/2011/05/10/one-party-but-not-just-one-outcome/>
Tim Ferguson, Forbes

U.S.-style democracy has its flaws and is not the only legitimate way to govern, especially in a fractious or fragile society. A system under long-term political dominance can be conducive to prosperity and good character, if it operates under general openness and rule of law. It is possible for a one-party state to evolve into something better. It can also degenerate into something worse. Right now we see Singapore on one end and Syria on another, moving apart. China is the puzzle in between.

**** The Nature Of Representation In Singapore <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703864204576314051828881110.html>
Ker Sin Tze, Consul-General Of The Republic Of Singapore, Wall Street Journal

**** Expect No Change, Singapore <http://mollymeek.wordpress.com/2011/05/10/expect-no-change-singapore/>
Molitics

Change for Singapore is an unattainable possibility that has to be taken as an attainable impossibility. More than ever, Singaporeans have to struggle harder for change because the static has now grafted the mask of change onto its face.

**** No Room For Proper Debate In anti-PAP New Media <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_667142.html>
Tan Chi Heng, Straits Times

Much of the political discussion we see in the new media today is stridently anti-PAP. There is no room for a proper discussion, as anyone who tries to correct errors of perception or facts are simply flamed. Until those who are calling for more opposition in Parliament can give credit where credit is due, and from there move on to properly considered proposals to improve and build on what we have already achieved, we cannot arrive at a mature political system.

**** Sacked Due To Opposition Involvement? <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1128074/1/.html>
Cheow Xin Yi, Today

In an emailed reply to Channel NewsAsia on Tuesday, town council general manager Ho Thian Poh said 25-year-old former customer service officer Geraldine Soh was terminated by JTC's managing agent, EMASCO Township Management, "for reasons of under-performance over a period of several months".

Ms Soh denied that she had attended counselling sessions because of her work. She had been called into the office "about four to five times over the last three years" following complaints from residents. But this was a "common occurrence" among colleagues, she said. She did not receive any feedback about having to improve her services.

**** They Were So Drunk <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2011/05/they-were-so-drunk.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

If the WP could show the people of Aljunied and the rest of the island that they could manage the estate well, if they could show that they are responsible and as able as the PAP in Parliament, the next GE will see a sea of change that the people have been waiting for all these years.

**** Politics In The Lion City: Toward An “Orchid Evolution”? <http://cogitasia.com/politics-elections-in-singapore-the-lion-city-an-orchid-evolution-democracy/>
Ai Ghee Ong, cogitASIA

The casting of the ballot is merely an external act. What is more important is the decision-making process that occurs within each voter to arrive at that decision. There was an awakening, a desire for their voices to be heard, and if I may venture, this was the first time that a strong Singaporean identity was forged. This election achieved a strong sense of national unity that National Day parades each year have not achieved. There was pride in being Singaporean, to know that each and every citizen has a stake and a say in the country’s future. This is truly a watershed and a turning point.

**** PAP Membership Of Jurong TC Manager Who Sacked NSP Supporter Censored By State Media <http://www.temasekreview.net/2011/05/11/pap-membership-of-jurong-tc-manager-who-sacked-nsp-supporter-censored-by-state-media/>
The Temasek Review

What was not revealed is that Geraldine has been working at the Town Council for three years without receiving a single complaint or warning from her employer and that a staff of the Town Council actually informed her father that she was suspended for ‘passing confidential information to the opposition.’

Even more glaring is the fact that Mr Ho Thian Poh is a PAP member and a branch secretary of Bukit Batok East which was not mentioned in any of the papers.

**** Police Stop Potong Pasir Petition Signing Session <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/police-stops-potong-pasir-petition-151925065.html>
Ion Danker, Yahoo!

**** Update From Aljunied Resident: Challenging Times <http://thinkhappiness.blogspot.com/2011/05/update-from-aljunied-resident.html>
Think Happiness

When the Workers' Party won by a margin that was more than they probably dreamt of, the only member of the winning team who knew what to expect was Mr Low Thia Khiang. By this, I mean that he and only he alone knew what the PAP would be doing next.

In a lot of places, rubbish has not been cleared. Cleaning contractors do not don their familiar t-shirts bearing the Aljunied Town Council logo any more. A lot of them (those who I saw working) were wearing their own clothes. The posters of the PAP have been removed. In their places, bare rostrums of steel gleam brightly awaiting their next banners.

There is work for everyone my dear friends. And we need to turn out in numbers to aid those who are need our help. To ensure that no one will be left behind. Even in these trying times.

**** Mending A Broken Potong Pasir <http://newnation.sg/2011/05/mending-a-broken-potong-pasir/>
Fang Shihan, New Nation

Put it this way. Sitoh Yih Pin is a difficult man to like. Especially if you’ve been a longtime resident of Potong Pasir. After the results were announced, he thanked the residents for giving him a “strong mandate of more than 50%”, and subsequently went on to deride Chiam supporters by saying “for those who didn’t vote for me, please cooperate” in another speech.

**** Send Message To Leaders Of Holland-Bukit Timah GRC <http://thinkhappiness.blogspot.com/2011/05/send-message-to-leaders-of-holland.html>
Think Happiness

This year, I will make it a point to attend Pink Dot because a message must be sent to some of our leaders, in particular the freshly elected leaders of Holland-Bukit Timah GRC.

I was very ashamed to know that a fellow lawyer, in the pursuit of political office, attempted to politicise the issue of what one is and to use that as a tactic to cast doubts on a person’s ability to act in the interests of our country.

**** The Ugly Side Of Pragmatism <http://laicite.wordpress.com/2011/05/11/the-ugly-side-of-pragmatism/>
Laïcité

But pragmatism is simply a means to an end, not an end in itself. Pragmatism has succeeded in bringing our country from third world to first (economically, at least,) but then…. what? Is this all there is? Money?

**** Change? <http://article14.blogspot.com/2011/05/change.html>
Article 14

Of all the things that we can say about GE 2011, the one undeniable thing that has stood out for me is the lifting of the fear factor from the minds of so many Singaporeans.

**** Goh Meng Seng Accepting Full Responsibility <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2011/05/goh-meng-seng-accepting-full.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

The principles behind the minister specific strategy is the same as turning weakness into strength, by concentrating the limited fire power on a weak point. Don't ever think of winning a GRC with a weak team.

**** Six Months’ Wait – Just To Do A Scan <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/six-months’-wait-–-just-to-do-a-scan/>
Yvonne Leng, The Online Citizen

More than 6 months to see the doctor, just to do a scan? This is ridiculous, unacceptable and simply insane.

**** Let Lee Lead The Change After Singaporean Elections <http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2011/05/11/insight-let-lee-lead-change-after-singaporean-elections.html>
Jusuf Wanandi, The Jakarta Post

On the defeat of foreign minister George Yeo, we all regretted it because he is such a good friend of Indonesia and the region. But for Singapore’s future interests, the Workers’ Party victory at the most contested Group Representation Constituency (GRC) Aljunied is a victory for Singapore as well. I believe that Minister Yeo understands that fully. I am confident that his service is still needed and he will have other important appointments in store of him.

**** 与李资政商榷一下 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/yl110511_005.shtml>
陈鸣鸾, 联合早报

行动党正是因为党风严谨,才能从当初的反对党变成执政党。任何严肃、认真和诚信的反对党,都有可能成为执政党。李资政应该借此次政治良机,鞭策党内的同志,自我提升,而非在反对党取得突破成绩时,还在固执地非议反对党,这样会使党内的更新难持客观的态度自省。

行动党人如放不下政绩的自恋与自傲,被老经验困住,党内改革将是困难的。

**** Don’t Let Us Down – An Open Letter To All Political Parties <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/don’t-let-us-down-an-open-letter-to-all-political-parties/>
Aziz Bin Ahmad, The Online Citizen

**** Why Singapore's Much-Hyped Elections Won't Mean Much <http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2070603,00.html?xid=rss-fullworld-yahoo>
Neel Chowdhury, Time

Indeed, the extent to which these institutions thrive regardless of who runs the government will determine Singapore's future greatness. Yet in a country where one political party has left so wide and deep a mark on the lives of its citizens, is it any surprise that those citizens should be careful about jettisoning it? Over time, no doubt this caution will erode, as Singapore's institutions mature and assert their own unique identities. Until then, however, Singapore may dance with other political parties but may remain reluctant to take the relationship much further than that.

**** The Recycling Of PAP Ministers And The Fall Of The US Dollar <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2011/05/recycling-of-pap-ministers-and-fall-of.html>
Gilbert Koh, Mr Wang Says So

Ex-PAP ministers never really die, until they are really dead. They just get recycled into other lucrative roles, whereby they still get to control your CPF money, your mainstream media and various other aspects of your life. Sure, their public profile ceases to be so high, but they're not going to give up on the money so easily.

**** Lim Hwee Hua Quits Politics <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1128134/1/.html>
Joanne Chan, Channel NewsAsia

**** How Many Did Not Vote? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/how-many-did-not-vote/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

**** The PAP And The People – A Great Affective Divide (Revisited) <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/the-pap-and-the-people-a-great-affective-divide-revisited/>
Catherine Lim, The Online Citizen

In the process of narrowing this Affective Divide, the Government will learn that lecturing and hectoring are sometimes less effective than a pat on the back, that mistakes may be just as instructive as success and are therefore forgivable, that efficiency and generosity of spirit are not mutually exclusive, that compassion is not necessarily a sign of effeteness.

**** Understand Young Voters Better <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_667144.html>
Muhammad Umar A. Kamaludin, Straits Times

The fact is, the young have not forgotten the struggles of the past. We simply feel that we have been forgotten by MM Lee and other People's Action Party ministers in their quest for GDP growth.