[MyAppleMenu] Mar 31, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Mar 31 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.6.7 Supplemental Update For Late 2010 13 Inch MacBook Air <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/03/30/apple_releases_mac_os_x_10_6_7_supplemental_update_for_late_2011_13_inch_macbook_air.html>
Daniel Eran Dilger, AppleInsider

Just over a week after releasing Mac OS X 10.6.7, Apple has issued a subsequent patch aimed at users of the new Late 2010, 13 inch MacBook Air to fix a system crash related to iTunes.

**** iPad Wireless HD Mirroring Hack Makes For Better Presentations <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/03/ipad-wireless-hd-mirroring-hack-makes-for-better-presentations.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Chris Foresman, Ars Technica

Teachers and corporate presenters alike begged Apple for video mirroring capabilities for the iPad, and the company delivered the feature in the iPad 2. Apple's solution still leaves users tied to a cord, however, so two employees at networking service provider Straight Up Technologies developed a simple hack to give their client wireless HDMI output and freedom of movement while sharing the iPad's screen.

**** How To Capture Menus And Windows <http://www.macworld.com/article/158931/2011/03/screenshots_shortcuts.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** Firefox 4 Improves, But Not Radically <http://tidbits.com/article/12077?rss>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

Should you switch to Firefox 4? If you’re using Firefox 3.6 on an Intel-based Mac, yes, you should, so you can take advantage of its performance and standards improvements (though I recommend re-enabling the Browse By Name feature immediately so Firefox 4 works the way you expect). But if you’re happy with Safari or Chrome, I don’t see the changes in Firefox 4 making such a difference that you’ll feel compelled to switch. That said, there’s nothing wrong with downloading a copy and checking it out; if nothing else, it can be helpful to have a different browser around in case you have trouble with a particular site, and who knows, perhaps you’ll find that Firefox 4 fits your needs perfectly.

**** Airfoil For Mac 4.0.2 <http://www.macworld.com/article/158912/2011/03/airfoil_4_review.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

Airfoil for Mac remains a solid and unique utility. It's a very clever and affordable way to stream all of your Mac’s audio throughout your home and to your iOS devices.

**** Music Artists, Labels Create Enhanced Albums For iPad <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/30/music-artists-labels-create-enhanced-albums-for-ipad/>
Kelly Hodgkins, TUAW

**** Does Apple Hate Enterprise Developers? <http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/Does-Apple-Hate-Enterprise-Developers-466319/>
P. J. Connolly, eWeek

After the first-day sellout of this year’s Worldwide Developer Conference, I’m beginning to wonder if Apple holds some kind of grudge against enterprise developers.

**** Skype 5 For Mac <http://ignorethecode.net/blog/2011/03/30/skype_5/>
Lukas Mathis, Ignore The Code

Skype is a tool used both by casual users, and by experienced users who use it every day in a professional context. It’s incredibly hard to get this kind of user interface right. The old version did an admirable, elegant job serving both audiences. The new version, unfortunately, is a huge step backwards.

**** Thunderbolt MacBook Pro: The Last Notebook You'll Ever Need <http://www.infoworld.com/d/computer-hardware/thunderbolt-macbook-pro-the-last-notebook-youll-ever-need-169>
Tom Yager, InfoWorld

After more than two weeks of continuous testing, it's hard for me to imagine what I'd want in a notebook in three to five years that MacBook Pro doesn't deliver right now. Whatever I want, I'll plug into Thunderbolt, the game-changing 10-gigabit peripheral interconnect that deserves (and gets) its own section in this review. I have no lingering doubt that a PC notebook maker might trump MacBook Pro. What Apple has done requires metal, glass, genius, and OS X. It can't be replicated with plastic and Windows.

**** As Gecko Scurries Away, Camino Looks To WebKit To Save Itself <http://techcrunch.com/2011/03/30/camino-webkit/>
MG Siegler, TechCrunch

As the team lays out in a post on their blog, a major change is needed to keep Camino going. Why? Because throughout its existence, the browser has been built using Mozilla’s Gecko rendering engine — the one built for Firefox. But now that engine will no longer be embeddable in other browsers — even other Mozilla browsers, like Camino.

**** SugarSync <http://www.macworld.com/article/158909/2011/03/sugarsync.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Glenn Fleishman, Macworld

SugarSync’s desktop sync software needs a rethink, with too many separate pieces unaligned into a consistent interface. However, its ability to specify which folders on each computer will sync to other machines is quite useful. Its business services offer little advantage over individual accounts.

**** Boxcar Pushes Its Way Onto The Mac <http://techcrunch.com/2011/03/31/boxcar-for-mac/>
MG Siegler, TechCrunch

The app resides in your toolbar and when clicked shows a drop-down with all of your notifications as they come in in realtime. You can set it so a sound goes off with every new message and if you have Growl installed you can get a visual notification as well.

**** PairShare Offers Music Streaming Between iOS Devices <http://www.macworld.com/article/158955/2011/03/pairshare.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Joel Mathis, Macworld

The app lets users stream music via Bluetooth from one iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to another. The app is being pitched at joggers, bikers, and other folks who exercise together.

**** Tina Fey's Tough Girl Feminism <http://www.slate.com/id/2289892/?from=rss>
Katie Roiphe, Slate

The rough humor in Fey's new book Bossypants is exactly what the movement needs.

**** Bloodlust <http://chronicle.com/article/article-content/126865/>
Russell Jacoby, The Chronicle Of Higher Education

Why we should fear our neighbors more than strangers.

**** Ocean Acidification <http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/04/ocean-acidification/kolbert-text>
Elizabeth Kolbert, National Geographic Magazine

The carbon dioxide we pump into the air is seeping into the oceans and slowly acidifying them. One hundred years from now, will oysters, mussels, and coral reefs survive?

**** Durian: The King Of Fruits Is An Angry King <http://www.salon.com/food/francis_lam/2011/03/30/durian_taste_test/index.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+salon-food+%28Salon%3A+Food%29>
Francis Lam, Salon

Beloved in Southeast Asia, famously stinky, I've avoided the "King of Fruit" for decades ... until now.

**** I've Seen Every Woody Allen Movie <http://www.slate.com/id/2289181/?from=rss>
Juliet Lapidos, Slate

Here's what I've learned.

**** Group Think <http://nymag.com/arts/books/reviews/tina-rosenberg-2011-3/>
Kathryn Schulz, New York Magazine

Once you burn off a lot of definitional fog, the “social cure” reveals itself as nothing more than peer pressure applied toward ends that Rosenberg supports. That raises a question that, bafflingly, she never addresses: Who gets to decide what constitutes acceptable peer pressure? Your idea of a good peer group might be my idea of a cult. Your worthy goal might be my worst nightmare. Rosenberg cherry-picks positive outcomes, but the process she describes as “the social cure” is fundamentally neutral—equally useful to ­Samaritans and to Stalin.

**** Let The People Decide: Mrs Lina Chiam <http://ge2011.theonlinecitizen.com/2011/03/let-the-people-decide-mrs-lina-chiam/>
Vicki Yang / Benjamin Cheah, The Online Citizen

The bedrock of her political activity, however, is to address the problems faced by the marginalized and the poor. The specific issues she wants to take up: dental care for the poor, education, and government-run baby drops.

Mrs Chiam sees a need for greater support for single mothers. She shudders at the macabre solution of abandoning babies in garbage bins, by mothers who see no other ways of caring for their infants. “It’s fear that makes them do it,” she says. “You’re not a mother, you don’t know yet. As a mother, you know, giving up your baby is so hard to do already.” She pauses, evidently pained by the mere thought of a mother abandoning her child.

**** GE: Young Candidates Bring New Perspectives <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1119771/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Minister for education Ng Eng Hen has said young candidates are necessary to bring in new perspectives to the government.

"They too are daunted by the fact that they are young, but if you look at how our previous candidates, who were brought in their late 20s or early 30s, I would say on balance, they have been a very useful feature of our political renewal because they bring in first-hand perspectives from that generation," Dr Ng said.

**** Ng Eng Hen : PAP Not Looking For Yes-men...(or Yes-women) <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2011/03/ng-eng-hen-pap-not-looking-for-yes.html>
Diary of A Singaporean Mind

Looking at the type of candidates they have chosen, it looks like they are looking to preserve the status quo at a time when many Singaporeans can see the need to remake and reshape our future. We have seen the outcome of PAP policies for the past 10 years. Voting for the PAP will mean we will continue along the same trajectory for the next 10 years. The income gap will continue to widen, the cost of living will continue to go up with housing going up faster than wages, poverty will continue to spread, pace of life (stress) will keep going up, quality of life down and the quality of retirement will keep going down that is if retirement does not become history.

**** PAP Not Looking For Yes-men: Ng Eng Hen <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110331-0000077/PAP-not-looking-for-yes-men--Ng-Eng-Hen>
Ong Dai Lin, Today

Twelve new People's Action Party (PAP) candidates so far, and all said they do not disagree with the fundamentals of government policy.

Education minister Ng Eng Hen, who is also the PAP's organising secretary (special duties), is not surprised, as it is "very hard to disagree with the fundamentals", such as meritocracy and a multi-religious society.

**** 'I Just Want Things To Be Done The Right Way': Mrs Chiam <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110331-0000020/I-just-want-things-to-be-done-the-right-way--Mrs-Chiam>
Loh Chee Kong, Today

"My husband and I have gone through trials and tribulations. So to us, it's just one part of political life ... It's not easy in politics," said Mrs Chiam, when asked if she could have avoided the controversies on hindsight.

Describing herself as "very forthright and strong-willed", she readily concedes that her style might not be everyone's cup of tea: "I don't know if you call it domineering but I just want things to be done the right way ... You got to be cruel to be kind."

**** Maid Carry NSman’s Backpack, Chok Tong Carry General <http://onesingaporean.wordpress.com/2011/03/30/maid-carry-nsmans-backpack-chok-tong-carry-general/>
One Singaporean

So the question is: When it comes to the crunch, who will remain? The general who needs to be shielded and allowed to waltz into Parliament?

And another question, even more pertinent in my opinion: Why should I respect someone who is shooed in from the back door, especially when he is a general in the army – the very same army with which I am suppose to lay down my life, and the army which he is suppose to lead?

**** Field Tin Pei Ling In An SMC And Let Voters Decide <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=6491>
Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

If the PAP fields Tin Pei Ling in a GRC like Marine Parade, for instance, it would only serve to intensify the already strong criticism that inexperienced PAP candidates enter Parliament merely by riding on the coat-tails of ministers or senior MPs, creating a very unfair and playing field.

If such an untested and unproven young candidate like Tin Pei Ling were to enter “through the backdoor” rather than have her mettle tested in a straight fight against an opposition candidate, it would also be a shame, because voters did not have a chance to judge and decide for themselves who they want as their representative.

**** Singapore's Corrupt Cabinet <http://theowlcritic.blogspot.com/2011/03/singapores-corrupt-cabinet.html>
The Owl

Handing out seven-figure sums to Ministers, does not neccessarily make them less corrupt. The more someone has, the more they will want. We know they are not averse to giving out bribes, as in the case of this S$800, so they are unlikely to have the moral fibre, to resist taking them as well.

**** The Maid, The NSF, His Backpack - And The SAF's Image <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110331-0000021/The-maid,-the-NSF,-his-backpack---and-the-SAFs-image>
Norman Vasu And Bernard FW Loo, Today

Nonetheless, in an age of citizen journalism and the ubiquity of photographic and video equipment, one might question whether the SAF can continue to be merely reactive to such incidences in an attempt to win the image battle.

As the sceptics can never be convinced, perhaps an alternative, more sustainable response by the SAF would be to continue professionally doing its mission, emphasising to its troops they carry the responsibility of maintaining the army's image and - when incidences like this happen - be confident enough to be able to laugh at itself.

**** For Want Of A Better Name, StanChartGate? <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2011/03/for-want-of-better-name-stanchartgate.html>
Singapore Notes

**** PAP To Fight For Singaporeans <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2011/03/pap-to-fight-for-singaporeans.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

So who is the PAP going to fight against for the future of Singaporeans? Don’t have leh, can’t think of anyone to fight with. The foreigners are here to help the Singaporeans also. The new citizens are already regarded as one of us. So good for them, good for Singaporeans. The PRs are also regarded as part of us and helping us also.

Can someone enlighten me please. I am so dull. Who is going to take away the future of Singaporeans that the PAP has to fight to keep it for the Singaporeans. Can’t be a red herring right, that there is really no one to fight against.

**** 陆续被网友挖出多年前生活照片 陈佩玲:把精力放在基层事务上 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110331_019.shtml>
顾功垒, 联合早报

她昨晚表示,目前首要任务是把精力放在基层事务上,好好向导师姚智学习,了解与帮助居民。

一名曾经和陈佩玲共事的林姓女网民就挺身表示,陈佩玲不像网民说的那般如此追求名牌和物质享受;不过也有网民认为,既然是要出来竞选的候选人,就该接受公众人物被检阅的过程。

**** 刘程强: 陈硕茂即将和媒体见面 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110331_017.shtml>
顾功垒, 联合早报

对于连日来行踪扑朔迷离的工人党“王牌”候选人陈硕茂,工人党秘书长刘程强昨晚总算透了点口风,证实陈硕茂日前在阿裕尼一带活动,还暗示他或许是该党最先推出的几名候选人之一,并且马上就会和媒体见面。

**** 昨晚证实引退 顾蔡矶要助新候选人赢得大选 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110331_018.shtml>
刘丽仪, 联合早报

丹戎巴葛集选区议员顾蔡矶副教授昨晚证实引退,表示他现下目标是要积极进行传承,协助该区新候选人顺利赢得将在不久后举行的大选。

**** Would Inderjit And Lily Neo Still Be Around <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2011/03/would-inderjit-and-lily-neo-still-be.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

I have heard rumours that these two MPs will make way for new blood. These are the two strongest voice in the PAP that spoke out for the underclass, the less privilege in our society. They are the conscience of the party as well as the conscience of the nation. It will be a sad day if they were replaced.

Replacing these two MPs will speak loud and clear that their views are not welcomed in Parliament. What will Parliament become without them?

**** 选前报道 洪鼎基自认“咸鱼翻身” 却更能助居民解决困难 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110331_015.shtml>
何惜薇, 联合早报

**** Confessions Of A Foreigner <http://laicite.wordpress.com/2011/03/31/confessions_of_a_foreigner/>
Laïcité

As a Singaporean student living in the UK, never in my life have I felt more conscious of how a country’s locals treat its foreigners. It’s not because I’m treated any differently here. It’s because I’m not treated any differently here.

**** I Am My Own Person: Lina Chiam <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/am-own-person-lina-chiam-20110330-220240-277.html>
Alicia Wong, Yahoo!

**** A Quintessence Of Dust <http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2011/03/a_quintessence_of_dust.html#more>
Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times

None of this immensity is affected by what I think about it. It doesn't depend on being thought about. If it is true that our galaxy alone might contain 30 to 80 million earth-like planets, and if every one of them were occupied by sentient beings, it doesn't depend on what they're thinking, either. It all simply exists.

That is why the process of evolution is so compelling to me. On this planet, and probably countless more, inanimate atoms became molecules which formed cells and over billions of years those cells evolved into complex organisms which finally became viruses, plants, animals, salamanders, banyan trees and human beings. Without giving it any thought, with no way to think it, the universe brought into existence a way of making itself seen.

**** The California Cook: Scrambled Eggs: The Sunny Side Of Dinner <http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-calcook-eggs-20110331,0,142588.story?track=rss>
Russ Parsons, Los Angeles Times

I've always loved Robert Frost's line about home being the place where, "when you have to go there, they have to take you in." Perhaps I'm putting an overly optimistic reading on it, but the idea that even on our coldest, darkest nights, there is always a place with a warm light in the window is reassuring. That's kind of the way I feel about having eggs in the refrigerator.

**** Is Opposition Capable Of Taking Over Government? <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4692-is-opposition-capable-of-taking-over-government->
Singapore Democratic Party

"Under such a system, is it even sane to talk about the opposition taking over as government?"

**** GE: Ho Peng Kee Announces Retirement From Politics <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1119878/1/.html>
Mustafa Shafawi / Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

**** The PAP's Greatest Fear <http://blogs.straitstimes.com/2011/3/30/when-a-clean-sweep-sends-the-wrong-signal>
Chua Mui Hoong, Straits Times

A clean sweep at GE 2011 would thus send a very wrong signal to the rest of the world and to Singapore, about the foibles of the Singapore electoral system.

That should be the biggest fear for the PAP: not a freak election result that sends it out of power, but a freak result that returns it to 87 out of 87 elected seats in Parliament.

**** Why So Mean? Here’s Why <http://onesingaporean.wordpress.com/2011/03/31/why-so-mean-heres-why/>
One Singaporean

In short, he could have set a more humane tone for society. But he did not. And so, we learn from him. We must. Cos that’s what he keeps telling and preaching and boasting and justifying to us.

So, what Tin Pei Ling is going through is nothing compared to what the PAP itself – read: Lee Kuan Yew – did to those he hated.

**** Wake Up To The New Media <http://kaffein-nated.blogspot.com/2011/03/wake-up-to-new-media.html>
Kaffein-nated

**** Yale To Open College In Singapore To Bring Liberal Arts To Asia <http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-31/yale-to-open-college-in-singapore-to-bring-liberal-arts-to-asia.html>
Oliver Staley, Bloomberg

**** Click, Clack, Ding! Sigh ... <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/31/fashion/31Typewriter.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Jessica Bruder, New York Times

Even by Brooklyn standards, it was a curious spectacle: a dozen mechanical contraptions sat on a white tablecloth, emitting occasional clacks and dings. Shoppers peered at the display, excited but hesitant, as if they’d stumbled upon a trove of strange inventions from a Jules Verne fantasy. Some snapped pictures with their iPhones.

“Can I touch it?” a young woman asked. Permission granted, she poked two buttons at once. The machine jammed. She recoiled as if it had bitten her.

**** Get Passionate: Dr Chee Soon Juan <http://ge2011.theonlinecitizen.com/2011/03/get-passionate-dr-chee-soon-juan/>
The Online Citizen

Chee Soon Juan. The name itself, though carrying diverse connotations, still bears a certain weight in Singapore’s political sphere.

**** Even The ST Web Menus Prefer PAP <http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2011/03/even-the-st-web-menus-prefer-pap.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mrbrown+%28mrbrown%29>
mrbrown

**** Congratulations, Mr Koo! <http://onesingaporean.wordpress.com/2011/03/31/congratulations-mr-koo/>
One Singaporean

So, what is it that this great man has done or achieved?

Mr Koo is the only MP who has – in all of his 20 years as MP – never won a single election outright. More remarkable is because he has never fought an election, he also has never won a single vote.

No one in Tanjong Pagar had to cast a single vote for him – in all of 20 years.

**** Scary Thought #3 <http://onesingaporean.wordpress.com/2011/03/31/scary-thought-3/>
One Singaporean

Would you want to pay her for 30+ years for doing absolutely nothing?

**** Citizen Tail Wagging TV Dog <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/04/01/citizen-tail-wagging-tv-dog/>
Yawning Bread

Step back and the interesting thing to note is that this is the first time CNA is even doing anything like this before a general election, for as long as most people can remember, which also explains the trial-and-error approach. Why are they doing it at all? Why not do as they did in previous elections — that is, do nothing.

Without an inside source, I can’t say I know the reason. But perhaps these preceding events are pertinent.