[MyAppleMenu] Mar 23, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Mar 23 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Apple Showers Love On Mac Malware Protection <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/03/22/apple_mac_malware_update/>
Dan Goodin, The Register

For only the second time in 19 months, Apple has updated the signatures used to protect Mac users against malware attacks.

**** WSJ To Begin Selling Single Issues For iPad Wednesday, Apple To Take 30% Cut <http://mashable.com/2011/03/22/wsj-ipad-single-issues/>
Lauren Indvik, Mashable

Full issues will be available for $1.99 through the WSJ‘s existing app for the iPad. Non-subscribers can continue to get the same limited range of free content through the app, but now users who want to access all of the morning’s content can do so without committing to a subscription.

**** Apple Releases Aperture 3.1.2 Update <http://www.macworld.com/article/158714/2011/03/aperture312update.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Heather Kelly, Macworld

Aperture 3.1.2 has the usual "overall stability and performance" improvement touted in every Aperture update, along with specific fixes for iPhoto compatibility, image importing, library, and adjustment issues. There are 14 fixes total on Apple's list, seven of which are for processes that caused Aperture 3 to freeze or quit unexpectedly.

**** Open Source Chameleon Project Aims To Ease Porting iOS Apps To Mac <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/03/open-source-chameleon-project-aims-to-ease-porting-ios-apps-to-mac.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

Ever since the launch of the App Store in 2008, developers have been looking for ways to bring some of the cool features they implemented for the iPhone back to the Mac. Then, with the 2010 launch of the Mac App Store, a whole new group of developers began looking for ways to port their iOS apps to the Mac for the first time. Now, two prolific developers have teamed up to create Chameleon, an open source project that aims to make it simpler to bring iOS work over to the Mac.

**** Back To The Front Of The Pack: Ars Reviews Firefox 4 <http://arstechnica.com/open-source/reviews/2011/03/ars-reviews-firefox-4.ars>
Ryan Paul, Ars Technica

The 4.0 release catapults Firefox back to the front of the pack, bringing parity in performance, features, usability, and support for Web standards.

**** How To Extract Media Files From Your iPod Or iOS Device <http://www.macworld.com/article/158677/2011/03/extract_media_files_from_ipod_ios_devices.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

But if disaster does strike and you lose everything, you may not be completely out of luck—assuming you’ve synced a good portion of your library to an iPod, iPhone, or iPad. In most cases, unless you’ve purchased something on one of your devices, Apple’s iTunes syncing is a one-way street—computer to device. But with some tricks and software, you can recover your music, videos, and more.

**** Mac Software VP Bertrand Serlet Leaving Apple <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20046137-37.html>
Lance Whitney, CNET

Known for his role in creating and developing the Mac OS X software, Serlet will hand over the reins of his job to Craig Federighi, currently the vice president of Mac software engineering, Apple announced today.

"I've worked with Steve for 22 years and have had an incredible time developing products at both NeXT and Apple, but at this point, I want to focus less on products and more on science," Serlet said in a statement. "Craig has done a great job managing the Mac OS team for the past two years, Lion is a great release and the transition should be seamless."

**** Celebrating Betrand Serlet And Craig Federighi <http://blog.wilshipley.com/2011/03/celebrating-betrand-serlet-and-craig.html>
Wil Shipley, Call Me Fishmeal

Today Bertrand Serlet announced he was stepping down as senior vice president of Mac Software Engineering, and that Craig Federighi will step into his spot. I know both these dudes a little bit, since we all used to work at/near/around/for NeXT, so I figured I’d share my impressions with the world (as one does on a blog).

**** Who Would Dare? <http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2011/mar/22/who-would-dare/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nybooks+%28The+New+York+Review+of+Books%29>
Roberto Bolaño, The New York Review Of Books

The books that I remember best are the ones I stole in Mexico City, between the ages of sixteen and nineteen, and the ones I bought in Chile when I was twenty, during the first few months of the coup. In Mexico there was an incredible bookstore. It was called the Glass Bookstore and it was on the Alameda. Its walls, even the ceiling, were glass. Glass and iron beams. From the outside, it seemed an impossible place to steal from. And yet prudence was overcome by the temptation to try and after a while I made the attempt.

**** Why I Write In The Margin <http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/mar/22/notes-in-the-margin-social-networking?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Joe Moran, The Guardian

I am almost neurotically law-abiding, but there is one area of life where I am an outlaw, beyond the pale, a fugitive from justice. I only do it in pencil, and sometimes I remember to rub it out, but … I write in library books. Those spaces down the sides of the page seem so inviting that the impulse to anoint them with scribbles is irresistible. History is on my side: until the 19th century books were often used as scrap paper, and few people had qualms about scrawling on a pristine copy. No jury in the land would convict me. Books are meant to be written on.

**** Masters Of Disguise Among Meatless Burgers <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/23/dining/23meatless.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Jeff Gordinier, New York Times

For meat-lovers, the veggie burger was long seen as a sad stand-in that tried to copy the contours and textures of a classic beef patty while falling pathetically short of the pleasure. And for meat-refusers, the veggie burger served as a kind of penitential wafer: You ate this bland, freeze-dried nutrient disc because you had to eat it (your duty as someone who had forsaken the flesh) and because at many a restaurant or backyard barbecue, it was the only option available.

If that has been your mental framework since the days when Jerry Garcia was still with us, it might be time to take another bite. To borrow a phrase from the culture that produced it, the veggie burger seems finally to have achieved self-actualization.

**** The Wedding Bouquet I Can't Throw Away <http://www.salon.com/life/feature/2011/03/22/the_wedding_bouquet_i_can_t_throw_away_open2011/index.html>
Rebecca Morean, Salon

The bouquet lies inside the little pearl-topped basket tucked in my bottom drawer. There they are, dried and carefully arranged: the yellow roses from my wedding day. All 25 -- the age I was when I married and nearly the number of years before he left. Twenty-five little promises, preserved and vibrant still, for my two daughters and my two sons. He left all five of us one night six months after his own father's death and in fear for his own -- or at least his sanity. That was his excuse.

**** How Carrots Became The New Junk Food <http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/154/the-new-junk-food.html>
Douglas Mcgray, Fast Company

Jeff Dunn believes he can double the $1 billion baby-carrot business -- and promote healthy eating -- by marketing the vegetable like Doritos. His secret weapon? He knows every snack-marketing trick in the book.

**** Singapore's Fourth Prime Minister <http://singaporeshortstories.blogspot.com/2011/03/singapores-fourth-prime-minister.html>
Singapore Short Stories

**** A Rousing Reception For Janil Puthucheary <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2011/03/rousing-reception-for-janil-puthucheary.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

Cyberspace has a rousing welcome for Janil Puthucheary but not the kind that he would have liken. Crossing to the side of his father’s political enemies, breaking a promise to his wife, and quitting his country of birth were the reasons that did not go down well with bloggers. This may be a bit unfair to a talented man who has stepped out to be counted, to sacrifice and to serve the country, and the very people that are not happy with him.

**** Want Your Opinions Distorted And Misrepresented? Write In To The Straits Times! <http://visaisahero.wordpress.com/2011/03/22/more-straits-times-wizardry/>
visaisahero

**** Piping Hot Candidates Roll Off The PAP Assembly Line <http://newnation.sg/2011/03/piping-hot-candidates-roll-off-the-pap-assembly-line/>
Fang Shihan, New Nation

**** Current Affairs – Opposition Disunity <http://www.nowhere.per.sg/?p=1582>
The Lycan Times

Let’s face it, there are no friends forever in politics. Imagine the day when one opposition party comes into power, does anyone think it would actually treasure the past good relationship and so-call ‘camaraderie’ with the other parties?

**** 詹时中妻子被索尼娅感动 要代夫出征守波东巴西 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110323_001.shtml>
游润恬, 联合早报

索尼娅·甘地的丈夫拉吉夫·甘地在1991年遇刺身亡后,印度失去了总理,执政的国大党的影响力也每下愈况。新加坡反对党领袖、波东巴西区议员詹时中的妻子罗文丽为索尼娅丧夫后放弃低调的生活从政,利用尼赫鲁—甘地家族的威望重振国大党所感动,于是决定代夫上阵,在来临大选时出征波东巴西区。

**** 詹时中“二合一”概念 是妻子罗文丽想出来的 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110323_010.shtml>
游润恬, 联合早报

罗文丽自从詹时中在35年前从政以来,一直回避媒体聚焦、宁愿默默地在他背后支持,昨天第一次接受深入的个人专访,让本报读者了解她是个什么样的政治人物。她说:“别以为我只是一名家庭主妇。”

詹时中每一次参加竞选,她都是竞选经理,除了动脑筋帮他出点子,也付出劳力陪他到处去拜票、帮他打点大小后勤事务。

**** Dr Janil Puthucheary From PAP <http://singapore-lighthouse.blogspot.com/2011/03/dr-janil-puthucheary-from-pap.html>
Singapore Social And Political Thoughts

If he can betrayed his father's cause, can he stand for and fight for what is right? After all he is just a 4 years old Singaporean.....

**** Parliament Sits On April 11; Polls By Month's End? <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_648234.html>
Rachel Chang, Straits Times

**** Five MPs Confirm Retirement <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_648236.html>
Li Xueying And Elgin Toh, Straits Times

**** Janil Puthucheary, Please Volunteer For National Service <http://onesingaporean.wordpress.com/2011/03/22/janil-puthucheary-please-volunteer-for-national-service/>
One Singaporean

He is barely two-years old as a new citizen and he now wants to lord it over us as an MP.

He talks big about “fighting”, about being “fully invested”. Yet in all those 10 years in Singapore, he never did any National Service. Nor did he volunteer to do so.

Here we have a big talker, a would-be MP, who’s never done a single minute of National Service, boasting about how he will “fight” and how he is “fully invested”.

If you are “fully invested”, then volunteer for National Service, or for reservist duty.

**** Singapore's Inflation Up 5% On-year In February <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1118302/1/.html>
Chris Howells, Channel NewsAsia

Compared with February 2010, the cost of transport advanced by 15.2 per cent, as a result of higher prices for cars and petrol.

Housing costs increased by 5.8 per cent, arising from higher accommodation and electricity tariffs. Food prices rose 2.6 per cent.

**** PAP Introduces Its First New Woman Candidate For Coming GE <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1118338/1/.html>
S Ramesh/Hetty Musfirah Abdul Khamid, Channel NewsAsia

**** Stepping Forward – Part 1 <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/03/stepping-forward-%E2%80%93-part-1/>
Andrew Loh, The Online Citizen

**** DPM Wong Kan Seng Fires Salvo At The Opposition <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_648307.html>
Cassandra Chew, Straits Times

'Some say they are doing it for party renewal, some want to be the first ones to do so, but what is the election about? Is it about the ambitions of a political party or individuals to make history?' said Mr Wong, who is also Coordinating Minister for National Security, and an MP in Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC.

**** Four Political Parties Face Off In Forum <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1118391/1/.html>
Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

At the forum organised by the NUS Political Science Alumni, two issues dominated the discussions - the need for alternative voices in Parliament and a perceived culture of fear among Singaporeans to speak on politics.

**** SDP To CNA: Let Chee Soon Juan Debate PAP Rep <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4679-sdp-to-cna-let-chee-soon-juan-debate-pap-rep>
Singapore Democratic Party

Channel News Asia (CNA) has invited the Singapore Democrats and four other parties (including the PAP) to a “television forum” to discuss political issues facing Singapore.

However, CNA has attached several conditions: One, the representative must be a CEC member; two, he or she must be an office holder; and three, he or she must be eligible to stand for the coming elections.

These conditions effectively rule our Dr Chee Soon Juan's participation. Can a news organisation get any more ridiculous?

**** Flashes Of Promise Amid Flashbacks <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/03/23/flashes-of-promise-amid-flashbacks/>
Yawning Bread

As you can see, there aren’t any new issues in 2011 that were not already in play in 2006. Yet, we got a glimpse that all parties had much more to say about specific issues than there was time for. Perhaps, indeed, as Chee said, there is a movement away from personality politics towards the development of ideas, with possibly exciting insights and proposals among them. If so, Singaporeans are not going to do justice to this evolution, and not doing justice to ourselves, if we simply have one-off forums lasting just two hours covering generalities without engaging in more detail.

It would be much more enlightening if we had a series of debates each focussed on a different area. Best of all, they should be televised. Isn’t that what any national broadcaster is supposed to be for?