[MyAppleMenu] Jun 29, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Jun 29 18:59:01 EDT 2011

**** Designing GitHub For Mac <http://warpspire.com/posts/designing-github-mac/>
Kyle Neath, Warpspire

Clients claiming to be “simple” choose to redefine “simple” as fewer supported Git commands rather than simplifying the interaction with Git.

It blows my mind that no one tried to do anything special. Git (and its DVCS cousins like Mercurial & Bazaar) provide an amazing platform to build next generation clients — and it’s like the entire OS X ecosystem left their imagination at home.

**** A Gateway To Great Books On Your iPhone <http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/28/a-gateway-to-great-books-on-your-iphone/>
Sam Grobart, New York Times

Penguin Classics, that more-than-1,500-titles collection of English-language literary classics, has a new free app for iOS devices available on Tuesday.

**** X Vs. Pro. <http://digitalcomposting.wordpress.com/2011/06/28/x-vs-pro/>
Digital Composting

So if you’re really a professional you shouldn’t want to be reliant on software from a company like Apple. Because your heart will be broken. Because they’re not reliant on you. Use Apple’s tools to take you as far as they can – they’re an incredible bargain in terms of price-performance. But once you’re ready to move up to the next level, find yourself a software provider whose life-blood flows only as long as they keep their professional customers happy. It only makes sense.

**** Adobe Courts Video Professionals In Wake Of Uproar Over Apple's Final Cut Pro X <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/06/28/adobe_courts_video_professionals_in_wake_of_uproar_over_apples_final_cut_pro_x.html>
Josh Ong, AppleInsider

**** Apple Posts Final Cut Pro X FAQ, Promises Updates <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/29/apple-posts-final-cut-pro-x-faq-promises-updates/>
Arnold Kim, MacRumors

Regarding importing from Final Cut Pro 7, Apple says that due to the many changes there was no way to "translate" old projects without losing or changing data. So, Apple suggests that users continue to use Final Cut Pro 7 for existing projects.

As for Multicam editing, Apple again promises that "it will" support it. The "next major release" will provide "great multicam support".

**** A Cheaper Way To Navigate Abroad, No Costly Data-Roaming Required <http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/29/a-cheaper-way-to-navigate-abroad-no-costly-data-roaming-required/?partner=rss&emc=rss>
John Biggs, New York Times

OffMaps allows you to download an entire city’s map at once and store those maps right on your cellphone or tablet. Your phone can access map data offline, as opposed to using the iPhone’s built-in Maps app, which requires data roaming and can cost you an arm and a leg.

**** Last Call For AppleWorks Users <http://www.macworld.com/article/160843/2011/06/last_appleworks.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

And yes, I mean you die-hard AppleWorks users. If you want to use a Mac running Lion, your time has run out. AppleWorks won’t work. So, what to do with those AppleWorks documents?

**** Thunderbolt RAID Dramatically Faster Than FireWire 800 <http://www.macworld.com/article/160819/2011/06/pegasusr6thunderbolt.html#lsrc.rss_main>
James Galbraith, Macworld

Our initial tests with the Thunderbolt-equipped 12TB R6 found that it is considerably faster than similar devices we’ve tested—devices that use FireWire, USB, or both.

**** Apple Posts FAQ For Thunderbolt Cable <http://www.macworld.com/article/160845/2011/06/thunderboltcablefaq.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Roman Loyola, Macworld

**** Review: Forklift 2.0 <http://pcweenies.com/2011/06/29/review-forklift-2-0/>
The PC Weenies

If you are frustrated by the inefficiencies of moving and copying files within the Finder, you owe it to yourself to try Forklift 2.0 out. And if that’s not enough to sell you, the built-in FTP / SFTP tools and file / folder synchronization features should.

**** The End <http://www.thesmartset.com/article/article06281101.aspx>
Kristen Hoggatt, The Smart Set

Advice and insight from a professional poet.

**** For These Chefs, Even Fire Can Be Improved <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/29/dining/for-these-chefs-even-fire-for-grilling-can-be-improved.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Steven Raichlen, New York Times

As burgers and steaks are being flipped on backyard grills all across the United States this weekend, some of the world’s top chefs are finding sophisticated new ways of handling this ancient, elemental cooking method. They are among a new generation of grill masters whose revolutionary techniques are redefining the very notion of grilling.

**** A Meal With A Message <http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/jun/27/meal-with-a-message>
Tim Chester, The Guardian

I suppose you can't blame them really. In a world of endless criticism, 140 character reviews and a general Urbanspoon-type consensus dictating opinion, perhaps it's only right and fair that restaurants should try to big themselves up. If everyone from the most feared critic to the iPhone-toting enthusiast is sharing harsh words, thoughts, theories and opinions on anywhere flogging food, why shouldn't the sellers try to redress the balance?

The move affects both existing and new subscribers. The cheapest available package will soon cost $26, while the most expensive will be $383, which includes all available channels. All prices listed are before factoring in the goods and services tax.

**** When Government Consultation Is Not Populist Appeasement <http://guanyinmiao.wordpress.com/2011/06/29/when-government-consultation-is-not-populist-appeasement/>
Guanyinmiao's Musings

The proliferation of personal views has only gathered pace even in the previous absence of government involvement; it would be a pity if the departments continue to relish in the comforts of the status quo, and staunchly refuse to acknowledge the value of these points.

**** Some Embarrassing Questions For Parliament <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2011/06/some-embarrassing-questions-for.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

**** An Emotional Goodbye To Tanjong Pagar Railway Station <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/emotional-goodbye-ktm-railway-station-011918252.html>
Faris Mokhtar And Jeanette Tan, Yahoo!

**** What Makes A Successful Politician? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/06/what-makes-a-successful-politician/>
Ghui, The Online Citizen

Be that as it may, wanting to fight for every vote is an essential quality every real politician should possess. Chaim is much older than both Yeo and Lim but his love for Singapore is such that he refuses to give up. JBJ was well into his 80s! To these old political veterans, I salute you. You are the real deal. To George Yeo and Lim Hwee Hua, I feel somewhat let down.

**** Presidential Election Watch Part I - My Initial Impression Of The PE Candidates <http://de-leviathan.blogspot.com/2011/06/presidential-election-watch-part-i-my.html>
De Leviathan @ Sg

**** CPF Keeps 4% Special And Medisave Account Interest Rate <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1137815/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

**** A Season Of Convincing Ahead For Elected President Hopefuls <http://maverickbuzz.blogspot.com/2011/06/season-of-convincing-ahead-for-elected.html>
Maverick's Slice Of Life

**** Lee Kuan Yew Still Has Private And Press Secretaries In Prime Minister’s Office <http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/06/28/lee-kuan-yew-still-has-private-and-press-secretaries-in-prime-ministers-office/>
The Temasek Review

Prime minister Lee Hsien Loong should explain to Singaporeans the rationale behind allocating 8 PMO staff to ‘help’ Lee Kuan Yew and Goh Chok Tong when they no longer hold any official positions in the cabinet. Their salaries do not come cheap and being their ‘masters’, Singaporeans deserve to know the truth: Why are we paying for 8 highly paid senior civil servants to ’serve’ two very ordinary ’servants’?

**** Your Money Worries And Your Democratic Rights <http://www.yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4881-your-money-worries-and-your-democratic-rights>
Singapore Democratic Party

Apart from the right to freely choose our government, democracy also necessitates the people's freedom to express their opinions and to assemble peacefully to articulate their opinions. It is because Singaporeans do not have these freedoms that the PAP is able to manage the election system to ensure a specific outcome.

This is why after the elections, nothing has changed. Save for the musical chairs played in the cabinet everything else has stayed the same: HDB pricing-policy remains, the cost of living continues to go skyward, and our financial reserves are still managed in a non-transparent manner.

**** Tan Kin Lian Hits Back At Netizen's Accusations <http://www.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20110629-286602.html>
AsiaOne

Presidential hopeful Tan Kin Lian has threatened legal action against a netizen who had accused him of "inappropriate behaviour" while he was the CEO of NTUC Income.

According to Mr Tan, the netizen - who he identified as the boyfriend of an NTUC Income employee during his tenure - had posted "malicious statements" about him on several websites, reported The New Paper.

**** Singapore Quiets The South China Sea <http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3283&Itemid=181>
Philip Bowring, Asia Sentinel

**** Naked-squat Claim: Statement Sent To M'sian High Commission <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1137932/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Singapore's Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) says it has sent to the Malaysian High Commission a written statement from two Singaporeans who were allegedly ill-treated while under detention. The MFA says in a statement that it awaits the outcome of the official investigation by the Malaysian authorities.