[MyAppleMenu] Jun 15, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Jun 15 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Cyberduck 4.0 <http://www.macworld.com/article/160399/2011/06/cyberduck4.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Moren, Macworld

Once upon a time, moving files from one computer to another via a network was an arduous task that often required delving into the word of the command line. But these days, any number of FTP clients for the Mac make it as easy as interacting with the documents on your own computer. Among them, the open-source Cyberduck 4.0.2 is an excellent option: It’s got a friendly interface, compatibility with a wide variety of protocols, and a number of useful and powerful features.

**** It’s All Software <http://daringfireball.net/2011/06/its_all_software>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

As with MobileMe, there will be web app interfaces for iCloud for those times when all you have is a web browser on someone else’s machine, but Apple’s vision for “access anywhere” is “iPhone everywhere”.

**** Brain Behind Apple Stores, Genius Bar Poached By J.C. Penney <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/06/brains-behind-apple-stores-genius-bar-to-be-poached-by-jc-penney.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

Johnson originally came to Apple from Target back in the year 2000 when the company was just beginning to get its retail operations off the ground. The first retail store officially opened at Tysons Corner in Virginia in 2001, and Johnson is often cited as the brains behind Apple's Genius Bar operations.

**** How To Use ColorSync Utility To Assign Color Profiles In OS X <http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20071099-263/how-to-use-colorsync-utility-to-assign-color-profiles-in-os-x/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

Apple's ColorSync Utility is built in to OS X. ColorSync profiles are used in image-rendering devices so colors will match across different devices. For instance, if you have two monitors attached to your system that are of different makes or models, then it is likely their pixel response ranges are slightly different. As a result, reds may be more vivid on one monitor than on another one, or the blues may be deeper. These variations can be allowed for by creating a color profile for each device, so when image data is passed between them they will display it accurately.

**** What Makes Apple Really, Really Different <http://kensegall.com/blog/2011/06/what-makes-apple-really-really-different/>
Ken Segall

The fact is, Apple has become one of the most amazing success stories in business history, and it’s done that in the most human way — by sticking to its morals.

**** Unlocked iPhones: What Are They Good For? <http://www.macworld.com/article/160532/2011/06/unlocked_iphone.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Philip Michaels, Lex Friedman, Macworld

For users who can’t stand the thought of being bound to one carrier for two years, $649 to $749 will seem like a small price to pay. Travelers who hop from one end of the globe to another—particularly on business—might also find the flexibility of an unlocked iPhone to be worth the price. Most other people will prefer the low initial cost of an iPhone to a month-to-month agreement with a carrier.

**** Opinion: Why Apple Scrapped MobileMe For iCloud <http://www.macworld.com/article/160459/2011/06/mobileme.html>
Jackie Dove, Macworld

**** BBC Developing New iPhone App For Field Reporters <http://www.journalism.co.uk/news/bbc-developing-new-iphone-app-for-field-reporters/s2/a544714/>
Journalism.co.uk

The BBC is developing an app that will allow its reporters in the field to file video, stills and audio directly into the BBC system from an iPhone or iPad.

**** Secrets From Apple's Genius Bar: Full Loyalty, No Negativity <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304563104576364071955678908.html>
Yukari Iwatani Kane And Ian Sherr, Wall Street Journal

With their airy interiors and attractive lighting, Apple's stores project a carefree and casual atmosphere. Yet Apple keeps a tight lid on how they operate. Employees are ordered to not discuss rumors about products, technicians are forbidden from prematurely acknowledging widespread glitches and anyone caught writing about the Cupertino, Calif., company on the Internet is fired, according to current and former employees.

**** “Web” Vs. “Native” <http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/201x/2011/06/14/Native-vs-Web>
Tim Bray

It’s about tooling and culture. The Android and iOS frameworks are built by elite, energized teams working with a laser focus on making it real easy for developers to build snazzy native apps.

**** Apple iDevices Take Over Yamaha Home Theatre <http://smarthouse.com.au/Home_Cinema/Receivers/X8C3V9S2>
Matthew Lentini, Smarthouse

**** How To Build Your Own AirPlay Audio System <http://www.macworld.com/article/160417/2011/06/how_to_build_your_own_airplay_audio_system.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

Here’s a look at what you need to do, either using an existing audio system or by building a new one from scratch.

**** Microsoft Issues Updates For Office 2011, 2008, And 2004 <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/15/microsoft-issues-updates-for-office-2011-2008-and-2004/>
Eric Slivka, MacRumors

Microsoft yesterday released several updates for users of its Office for Mac productivity suites, bringing security and stability improvements to Office 2011, 2008, and 2004, as well as a pair of ancillary updates.

**** Improving The Security Of Cloud Computing <http://www.technologyreview.com/business/37683/?ref=rss>
David Talbot, Technology Review

**** Does Anything Matter? <http://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/singer75/English>
Peter Singer, Project Syndicate

Can moral judgments be true or false? Or is ethics, at bottom, a purely subjective matter, for individuals to choose, or perhaps relative to the culture of the society in which one lives? We might have just found out the answer.

**** The Trouble With Ayn Rand <http://www.firstthings.com/article/2011/05/the-trouble-with-ayn-rand>
David Bentley Hart, First Things

Civilization teeters on the brink: they’ve made a movie of Atlas Shrugged.

**** Chiam See Tong – The Man With Dogged Determination <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/06/cst-man-with-dogged-determination/>
Ravi Philemon, The Online Citizen

Dogged determination which made him fight on, only to win in the fourth attempt in Potong Pasir. Dogged determination which made him continue to keep Potong Pasir a beacon of hope of opposition politics in Singapore. Dogged determination, which made him come back after suffering from the stroke. And dogged determination, which makes him say that he will come back to fight another day in Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC.

**** Still Business As Usual For PAP Grassroots Members In Aljunied <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110615-0000076/Still-business-as-usual-for-PAP-grassroots-members-in-Aljunied>
Esther Ng, Today

For now, PAP grassroots leaders are focused on meeting their key performance indicators, such as how many activities they organise and whether the turn-out is good and multi-racial.

**** Fish Farmers Caught In The Net <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110615-0000071/Fish-farmers-caught-in-the-net>
Lynda Hong Ee Lyn, Today

Fish farmers in the eastern straits of Singapore, who have to produce a minimum amount of fish each year to maintain their licence, are finding it harder to keep their farms going.

In particular, they lack proper loading and unloading facilities for their fish, as the jetty at Changi Creek designated for their use was found to be dangerous by the manpower ministry.

**** President 'Has No Executive Powers, But Important Duties' <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_680106.html>
Tessa Wong, Straits Times

"My statement makes clear that the President does not have executive powers. But that does not mean that he does not have very important duties."

**** 携带上车的物件不得超越限定尺寸 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/yl110615_005.shtml>
张玉莲,Smrt企业有限公司, 联合早报

“快捷交通系统条例”(Rapid Transit Systems Regulations)规定,过于笨重庞大的物品是不能携带上地铁列车的。

See Also: 为何乘地铁不能携带电视机? [http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/yl110609_008.shtml]: 为什么其他大小相等的旅行箱都能通行无阻,而装有电视机的箱子就不能通过?

**** Returning To Sensibility <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2011/06/returning-to-sensibility.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

How many young couples were forced against their wills, to buy bigger flats? How many people were forced to pay for more expensive hospital wards against their wills? And how many young couples were forced into the private housing markets and forced to take up big housing loans against their wills?

**** Receptionist <http://piaroh.wordpress.com/2011/06/14/receptionist/>
Words Of The Cze

I want a philanthropist. Preferably someone with experience managing a large charity.

I want someone who doesn’t stinge when the purse needs to be opened. Someone who doesn’t hesitate to extend a hand to those truly in need, and knows where to look to find such folks. I want someone with integrity and understands that every dollar collected isn’t his. Someone who also understands that everyone has to work within constraints, that some things just can’t be helped, that there’s no point fighting the universe, but that there’s a lot to be said in devoting effort in alleviating the pain which comes with progress. I want someone with enough humility and dignity for an entire country of people. Someone who believes that it’s more important to focus on what he can do, rather than what others should be or aren’t doing. I want someone who knows that the job’s never finished, that it is never adequate, that you just do the best you can and not blame anyone for the cracks. Someone who can stand with the government and be truly distinct from it.

**** B Class Patients Deserves 2nd Class Service? <http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/06/14/b-class-patients-deserves-2nd-class-service/>
Serene X M Cai, The Temasek Review

After all the anxiety and pain that I have gone through for 2 anguishing days at SGH, they failed to diagnose my condition, which eventually resulted my condition to deteriorate in my left leg. If they have treated my condition promptly, I would have been given timely treatment. I would not need to seek treatment from another hospital and incur huge hospital bill if the doctors at SGH could provide the professionalism, respect and compassion it valued itself upon in its mission and core values.

Or was it because I was staying in Class B2 ward and hence I deserved to be treated as a 2nd class citizen since I was told my case was not urgent?

**** Labour Market, First Quarter 2011 <http://www.mom.gov.sg/newsroom/Pages/PressReleasesDetail.aspx?listid=368>
Ministry Of Manpower, Singapore Government

The labour market tightened further, amid healthy economic growth in the first quarter of 2011. Fewer workers were laid off and unemployment improved to a three-year low. With strong manpower demand, the ratio of job openings to job seekers rose to pre-recessionary levels.

**** Hospital Bed Supply Trailing Far Behind Increase In Elderly Numbers <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/06/14/hospital-bed-supply-trailing-far-behind-increase-in-elderly-numbers/>
Au Waipang, Yawning Bread

**** Singapore Airlines Website Develops Engine Trouble And Other ‘How Not To Be An IT Hub’ Tales <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/06/15/singapore-airlines-website-develops-engine-trouble-and-other-how-not-to-be-an-it-hub-tales/>
Au Waipang, Yawning Bread

**** The Homeless In Singapore And Berkeley <http://asiancorrespondent.com/57462/the-homeless-in-singapore-and-berkeley/>
Tng Ying Hui, Asian Correspondent

Instead of providing social services, the government’s refusal to accept responsibility while clamping down on the homeless to retain the façade of its efficacy meant that homeless people were marginalized and seen as unworthy of any space. It is a dismal thought on twofold: that one is not given a second chance in life, and the government in its urgency to create a simulacrum of perfection has lost its heart.

**** Seek Justice At World Court, Lawyer Urges M’sian Govt <http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/2011/06/15/seek-justice-at-world-court-lawyer-urges-msian-govt/>
G Vinod, Free Malaysia Today

Human rights lawyer M Ravi appeals to the Malaysian government to intervene on behalf of convicted drug trafficker Yong Vui Kong on death row in Singapore.

**** S$5.5m Spent On GE2011 <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1135321/1/.html>
Hetty Musfirah Abdul Khamid, Channel NewsAsia

The 170 candidates who took part in the General Election 2011 spent some S$5.5 million on the polls, mostly on publicity and advertising materials.

The People's Action Party (PAP) spent an average of about S$1.786 per voter, while the opposition's average was about S$0.57 per voter.

**** George Yeo Opts Out Of Presidential Race <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/06/breaking-news-george-yeo-opts-out-of-presidential-race/>
The Online Citizen

In his latest Facebook entry, Mr Yeo said that: “After considering all factors, I have come to the conclusion that, in this phase of my life, I can better contribute to the Singapore we all love in other ways. I have therefore decided not to run for the Presidency this August.”

**** Most S'poreans Expect To Have Less Than S$150,000 In CPF On Retirement <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1135326/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

People in Singapore who plan for their retirement will have about S$153,000 in retirement savings and investments, according to a survey by HSBC.

**** HDB Downgrading And Financial Stress FAQ <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/06/hdb-downgrading-and-financial-stress-faq/>
Leong Sze Hian, Alex Lew, Ko Siew Huey, The Online Citizen