[MyAppleMenu] Jun 13, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jun 13 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Apple Store Employee Starts Union <http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/apple-store-employee-starts-union/article2057482/>
Poornima Gupta, Reuters

Cory Moll, a part-time employee at an Apple store in San Francisco, is working to form a union to fight for better wages and benefits and to address what he says are unfair practices in the company’s glass-and-steel retail showrooms.

“The core issues definitely involve compensation, pay, benefits,” Mr. Moll said, adding that he decided to go public with the union to encourage other employees to come forward.

**** The iCloud Just Works ... But In Whose Favour? <http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2011/jun/12/icloud-apple-post-pc-era>
Douglas Haddow, The Guardian

Perhaps it's best to ignore all the possible social and political implications of the iCloud and just take Steve Jobs's advice: "You don't even need to think about, it all just works."

**** The Little Red Dot. <http://techcrunch.com/2011/06/12/ios-notifications-fml/>
MG Siegler, TechCrunch

I have a very serious problem with the red dots. When I see one, I have to click on it. I know in my head that the update is likely not important, but I just have to know for sure. Much of my day feels like a game of Whack-A-Mole as a result. Red dot appears, hit the app, clear it. Another one? Hit the app, clear it. Etc.

But it’s manageable because those red dots only appear when I actually unlock my phone. With Apple’s revamped Push Notification system, I see myself going back to the full-on pop-up notifications (which are less pop-ups and more drop-downs). And that means seeing them even when my phone is locked. I foresee it being a mixture of heaven and hell for me.

**** Switched On: Apple's Cloud Conundrum <http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/12/switched-on-apples-cloud-conundrum/?a_dgi=aolshare_twitter>
Ross Rubin, Engadget

The company derives relatively little revenue from iTunes music sales, less from free iPhone apps, and no direct revenue for the iLife software when it bundles them with Macs. But they all contribute to a user experience monetized through its hardware products. Such is the near-term promise of iCloud. Apple users won't pay for it, but they will buy it anyhow.

**** Acclivity AccountEdge 2011 <http://www.macworld.com/article/160307/2011/06/accountedge2011.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Jeffery Battersby, Macworld

**** Create A Sports Highlight In iMovie '11 <http://www.macworld.com/article/160003/2011/06/teamspirit.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Jeff Carlson, Macworld

Baseball season is here in the United States, and in addition to the professionals, little league teams and community leagues are also swinging for the fences. If you capture the action using a video camera, iMovie ’11 includes a little-known feature that lets you build a database of team members (of any sport) for creating highlight videos.

**** Mac Malware Still On The Prowl <http://www.amitiae.com/?p=3772>
Graham K. Rogers, Amitaie

Many are so brainwashed into accepting that because someone (or something — the popup) has told them they are infected with a virus there is a knee-jerk reaction and “Click here” is exactly what they do.

**** Time Sink 1.2 <http://www.macworld.com/article/160398/2011/06/timesink1.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Miller, Macworld

**** A Preview Of Future Disk Drives <http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/37771/?ref=rss&a=f>
Tom Simonite, Technology Review

A new type of data storage technology, called phase-change memory, has proven capable of writing some types of data faster than conventional flash based storage. The tests used a hard drive based on prototype phase-change memory chips.

**** The Last Lion <http://www.fictionaut.com/stories/brittany-newmark/the-last-lion--2>
Brittany Newmark, Fictionaut

**** Sell Descartes, Buy Spinoza <http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/2011/05/sell-descartes-buy-spinoza/>
Rebecca Goldstein, Prospect

Thinking of buying shares in a great philosopher? The first question you need to ask is whether you’re interested in long or short-term investment. If you are looking long-term, then prepare yourself for serious scholarship. Alternatively, short-term investment could merely involve comparing the battle over women’s hemlines on catwalks in Milan and New York to Wittgenstein’s language-games. Investors must also keep in mind a philosopher’s obscurity, as this allows room for interpretation. Counter-intuitive shock appeal is also a plus.

**** How Hard Is It To Measure The Distance? <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110613-0000013/How-hard-is-it-to-measure-the-distance?>
Tan Seng Wei, Today

I wrote to the Land Transport Authority several times and the last response I got in April was: "We are currently arranging with the bus operator and the Malaysian Authority for permission to enter Johor to measure the distance. Please bear with us as it will take some time to get the measurement done. We have no jurisdiction in areas under the purview of Malaysia."

It has been two months since and there is still no change to the bus fare. Is it really so hard and so complicated to get the distance measured correctly? As a commuter, I hope this issue can be resolved as soon as possible and refunds can be given to those who have been overcharged.

**** The Anxiety Of The Presidential Election <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=6925>
Wong Wee Nam, Sgpolitics.net

**** HDB Wants More Contractors To Help Ease The Squeeze <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110613-0000049/HDB-wants-more-contractors-to-help-ease-the-squeeze>
Teo Xuanwei, Today

To realise the government's commitment to ramp up the supply of flats over the next few years, the Housing and Development Board (HDB) is looking to woo more contractors to bid for public housing projects.

Construction companies, however, are urging the Government to postpone its tightening on the influx of imported labour.

**** Singapore Officials Rue Low Understanding Of Islamic Finance Among Investors <http://arabnews.com/economy/islamicfinance/article453485.ece>
Mushtak Parker, Arab News

**** 东南亚各国两边下注 <http://news.163.com/11/0613/03/76DAKJ6S00014AED.html>
济南时报

**** Police Harassed Singaporeans At Wisma Atria Starbucks <http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/06/12/police-harassed-singaporeans-having-a-drink-at-wisma-atria-starbucks/>
The Temasek Review

More than thirty Singaporeans turned up in black at Wisma Atria Starbucks to meet up for an informal chit-chat session as well as to register their unhappiness at the PAP ministers’ obscene salaries.

**** 为政策把脉 给外来Pmet人数设顶限? <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110613_007.shtml>
林慧慧, 联合早报

过去,担心被外国人抢走饭碗的主要是低收入蓝领工人,现在就连“专业人士、经理、执行人员及技师”(PMET)级的白领也感到不安。有工会领袖反映,一些金融业PMET申诉,占据了高层职位的外来人员导致他们的擢升机会受限。是否也应考虑给外来PMET人数设顶限的建议于是在这样的情况下浮现。

**** Disassociating Party Activism From Grassroots Volunteerism <http://guanyinmiao.wordpress.com/2011/06/13/disassociating-party-activism-from-grassroots-volunteerism/>
Guanyinmiao's Musings

Progressively, the CCC mechanism needs to become more accessible and inclusive, so that it can expand in critical mass, awareness and capacity levels. If it remains oblivious to the perceptions harboured by a significant segment of the society, it risks being gradually sidelined in time to come.

**** ‘It’s Not Just About The Reserves’ <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/not-just-reserves-014228747.html>
Andrew Loh, Yahoo!

As we prepare for the upcoming contest in the Presidential Elections and consider the candidates, let us look for one who would not only be capable of safeguarding our financial kitty but one who would, more importantly, be capable of inspiring Singaporeans to higher ideals.

The Elected President contest is not just about protecting the reserves. It is also about things just as, if not much more, important. Let's not lose sight of this.

**** Historic Lighthouse Guards Modern Singapore <http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5h4g7nXeup8DxvUuhqTMQt-mB2few?docId=CNG.f169239a64c47d7cad7ea040cceb08be.2f1>
Simin Wang, AFP

Standing off the southern tip of Singapore is a white granite lighthouse built more than 150 years ago to guide ships entering a sleepy tropical outpost of the British empire.

**** Buses And Trains Make Policy U-turn <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/06/13/buses-and-trains-make-policy-u-turn/>
Au Waipang, Yawning Bread

No doubt the details will be picked apart and argued over, but the significance is still worth noting. At long last, the government is paying more heed to its social responsibility. Finally, it realises it cannot go on prioritising the concerns of the big corporations, the rich and the powerful. But this is only just the beginning. It is very easy, after giving a few sops to the angriest of the citizens, to revert back to form, since its powers of coercion and muzzling remain in place. It still has not embraced the idea of greater competition for government-linked companies; it has not even begun to question amakudari and the distortions this practice brings.

**** ‘Black Sunday Movement’ Under Police Investigation <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/06/black-sunday-movement-under-police-investigation/>
The Online Citizen

A group of about 30 individuals may be under investigation by officers of the Singapore Police Force for gathering at Wisma Atria yesterday, to express their dismay at the Ministers’ high salaries.

**** Travellers Thinking Twice About Johor Trips <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1134886/1/.html>
Joanne Chan, Channel NewsAsia

The traffic snarl plaguing the Causeway and the Second Link on weekends is causing some frequent travellers to hold back on trips up north. With Singaporeans avoiding the hassle of crossing the Causeway, businesses in Johor Bahru are reporting a drop in sales.

**** Call Off June 30 Last KTM Rail Ride Party <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/6/13/focus/8888837&sec=focus>
Karim Mahsood, The Star

The move by KTM to Woodlands will signal the beginning of the transfer to Singapore not only of the historic station building in Tanjung Pagar but also some 175.7ha of railway land which may be worth billions of dollars, in exchange for joint development of six small pieces of land in Marina South and Ophir-Rocher in the southern part of Singapore island whose value is not known.

It is difficult to imagine how KTM can effectively use the Woodlands checkpoint as it new terminus in Singapore. It does look like KTM will be forced to pull back to Johor Baru, sooner rather than later. When that happens, a glorious chapter in the history of KTM operations in Singapore would finally be closed.

That is why June 30 is a very sad day indeed, certainly not an occasion to celebrate.

**** HDB: 18 Appeals And Still Homeless <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/06/hdb-18-appeals-and-still-homeless/>
Leong Sze Hian And Ko Siew Huey, The Online Citizen

**** Ministers Turn To Web To Connect With Citizens <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/connecting-netizens-online-way-094244453.html>
Faris Mokhtar, Yahoo!