[MyAppleMenu] Jun 6, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jun 6 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** WWDC: A MacTech Service Aims To Match Up Mac & iOS Developers With 'Great Ideas' <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/wwdc-a-mactech-service-aims-to-match-up-mac-ios-developers-with-great-ideas/10264>
David Morgenstern, ZDNet

MacTech Match will comprise a network of developers and consultants that can, respectively, program an iOS or Mac app, and to help clients figure out what will be needed to get an idea programmed.

**** Adobe Issues New Flash 10.3 Security Warning <http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/06/06/adobe.issues.new.warning.and.patch.for.flash.103/>
Electronista

**** Are Your Malware Definitions Up To Date? <http://www.macworld.com/article/160318/2011/06/malware_definitions_update.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

**** Portal 2 <http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=1131>
Ted Bade, Inside Mac Games

The puzzles are thought provoking and the interactions and story line are very entertaining. The cooperative aspect of Portal 2 lets you play with friends and has a story all its own. The graphics in this game are frankly stunning! I highly recommend spending your precious gaming cash on this game. It is well worth the price and will provide hours of entertaining game play.

**** Why Windows Users Should Care About Malware On Macs <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/why-windows-users-should-care-about-malware-on-macs/3430>
Ed Bott, ZDNet

Apple, Google, and Microsoft should be working together to respond to this problem, but that doesn’t appear to be happening.

So how effective has Apple’s response been so far? Not very.

**** WWDC: Lion Revealed, Will Ship In July For $30 <http://www.macworld.com/article/160327/2011/06/wwdc_2011_lion_revealed.html>
Serenity Caldwell, Macworld

Apple engineers have been hard at work in the eight months since Apple CEO Steve Jobs first previewed Lion at last October’s Back to the Mac event, and the next version of Mac OS X got a thirty-minute spotlight—led by Apple executives Phil Schiller and Craig Federighi—at Monday’s Worldwide Developers Conference keynote. That preview focused primarily on expanding on features previously showcased (during October’s event and on Apple’s Website), but Schiller also revealed three brand-new bits of information: the new OS’s ship July date, $30 price tag, and Mac App Store exclusivity.

**** WWDC: Apple Unveils iOS 5 <http://www.macworld.com/article/160322/2011/06/ios5.html>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

Apple on Monday gave users their first glimpse at iOS 5, the next iteration of the company’s mobile operating system for iPhones, iPads, and iPod touch models. During the keynote address at the Worldwide Developers Conference, Apple senior vice president Scott Forstall covered 10 of the over 200 new consumer-level features planned for iOS 5. With iOS 5, Apple introduces a couple brand new apps, revamps many others, rethinks notifications, and finally severs the cord between iOS and the Mac.

**** WWDC: Apple Introduces iCloud <http://www.macworld.com/article/160325/2011/06/apple_introduces_icloud.html>
Jonathan Seff, Macworld

During the keynote address at Monday’s Worldwide Developers Conference, Apple CEO Steve Jobs unveiled iCloud, Apple’s new wireless data sync service for iOS devices, Macs, and PCs.

The free iCloud takes the place of Apple’s $99-a-year MobileMe service, which Jobs admitted, “wasn’t our finest hour.” Like MobileMe, iCloud offers the ability to sync contacts, calendars, and mail across devices. Create a new contact on your iPhone, for example, and it gets automatically pushed to the cloud and synced to all of your devices and computers.

**** Leopard Users Must Purchase Snow Leopard Before Lion? <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20069379-37/leopard-users-must-purchase-snow-leopard-before-lion/?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
Sharon Vaknin, CNET

**** Seven Things iPhone Users Should Know About Today's Announcment <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/06/06/seven-things-iphone-users-should-know-about-todays-announcment/>
Richard Gaywood, TUAW

**** Bandwidth Caps May Obscure iCloud <http://tidbits.com/article/12227?rss>
Glenn Fleishman, TidBITS

Because OS updates will range from hundreds of megabytes to several gigabytes, and iCloud could potentially move many gigabytes to and from the Internet every month, crossing bandwidth limits could suddenly become a costly or difficult issue. If you’re already running close to bandwidth limits with your current usage (such as streaming movies from Netflix or playing bandwidth-intensive games), adding iCloud could put you over the top.

**** Automatic Downloads Now Live For iOS Devices <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/06/06/automatic-downloads-now-live-for-ios-devices/>
Samuel Gibbs, TUAW

WWDC has just kicked off for 2011, but you can get a little bit of the Apple iCloud newness right now in the form of automatic Application, Music and Book downloads.

**** iOS 5 Cuts The Cord, Among Much Else <http://tidbits.com/article/12230?rss>
Michael E. Cohen, TidBITS

But of that list, the one that represents the most radical change to the entire iOS platform: iOS 5 is going to cut the (USB) cord and allow iOS devices to operate entirely separately from a Mac or PC.

**** How I Failed, Failed, And Finally Succeeded At Learning How To Code <http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2011/06/how-i-failed-failed-and-finally-succeeded-at-learning-how-to-code/239855/>
James Somers, The Atlantic

**** Social Darwinism <http://lareviewofbooks.org/post/5797806056/social-darwinism>
Michele Pridmore-Brown, Los Angeles Review Of Books

The number is highly debatable, but it turns out that, Facebook aside, the average person has about 150 friends — people he or she might actually recognize and be recognized by at a random airport, 150 people he or she might feel comfortable borrowing five dollars from. As for how many friends we have evolved to “need” in a more intimate sense, that is a different matter.

**** The Nature Of E.B. White <http://chronicle.com/article/The-Nature-of-EB-White/127630/>
Michael Sims, The Chronicle Of Higher Education

During my research into the inspirations for and the writing of Charlotte's Web, which took me back to White's early childhood, I was intrigued by many aspects of his personality: his anxieties and hypochondria, his passionate defense of free speech and civil liberties, his one-man campaign for world government. But nothing else about him caught my own imagination more than his attitude toward animals.

**** Singapore Loosens Reins To Encourage Artistic Creativity <http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/art-and-design/singapore-loosens-reins-to-encourage-artistic-creativity-20110605-1fn4k.html>
Kylie Northover, The Age

Creativity is rarely the word evoked when one thinks of Singapore, the city-state once famously described by author William Gibson as ''Disneyland with the death penalty … [where] conformity … is the prime directive, and the fuzzier brands of creativity are in extremely short supply''. But in the past two years, Singapore's annual arts festival has tried to tackle this under the leadership of a new general manager, Low Kee Hong, a former dancer keen to change the annual event into a ''creation festival''.

**** Two Singapore Doctors’ Views On Expat Foreign Doctors <http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/06/05/two-singapore-doctors-views-on-expat-foreign-doctors/>
The Temasek Review

**** The Singapore Crunch <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2011/06/singapore-crunch.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

The crunch is on. Is this what the Singaporeans want? Is this what growth and prosperity is all about? Can the standard of living be maintained or be betterer without having to live to the brim in all things? Why must every activity or place be bulging and congested and people in a constant state of stress, fighting for fresh air?

**** Singapore's PAP Needs To Address Its Image Problem <http://www.chinapost.com.tw/commentary/the-china-post/special-to-the-china-post/2011/06/04/304867/p1/Singapore's-PAP.htm>
The China Post

**** Singapore Moves Ahead Of Hong Kong <http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/news/singapore-moves-ahead-of-hong-kong/story-e6frg90x-1226069940375>
Peter Stein, Wall Street Journal

While Hong Kong's economic gains would inspire envy in developed Western economies, Singapore's is impressive enough to inspire envy even in Hong Kong. Both, however, might do better to focus less on quantity of growth, and more on quality.

**** RI Hasn’t Ratified Extradition Treaty: Singapore <http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2011/06/06/ri-hasn’t-ratified-extradition-treaty-singapore.html>
The Jakarta Post

Singapore denies criticism it was a safe haven for Indonesian graft suspects, saying Indonesia and Singapore had signed an extradition treaty but the former had not ratified it.

Ratification of the long-awaited extradition treaty, however, is stalled at the House of Representatives, which refused to approve both the treaty and the defense agreement.

A member of the House Commission I overseeing foreign affairs, defense and intelligence, Muhammad Najib, said the terms in the agreements favored Singapore and could compromise Indonesia’s security.

“Singapore tried to tie the extradition treaty to the defense agreement. We would have gladly ratified [the extradition treaty] if not for the other agreement,” he told The Jakarta Post on Sunday.

**** 新柔长堤和第二通道大塞车 12狮城旅巴取消甲州行 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yx/yx110606_003.shtml>
联合早报

一般上,从新加坡入境马来西亚的旅游巴士都会取道第二通道。由于生物识别系统启用,原本每辆巴士通关时间从20分钟延长至90分钟,导致关卡严重大塞车,使游客的游兴大减,连带影响国内的旅游业。

**** <i>Mistake</i> In PAP “Think Tank” Critique On UBS Ranking Of The Purchasing Power Of Singapore Wages <http://singstatistician.blogspot.com/2011/06/mistake-in-pap-think-tank-critique-on.html>
Thoughts Of A Singapore Statistician

**** Singapore's Low-cost Plan Has Rivals Quaking <http://www.smh.com.au/travel/blogs/travellers-check/singapores-lowcost-plan-has-rivals-quaking-20110606-1fo6t.html>
Clive Dorman, Sydney Morning Herald

The decision by Singapore Airlines to take a slice of the no-frills market, when its entire operation until now has been based on customer service, truly shocked most of its competitors and is potentially a “game-changer”.

**** The Expensive Key To Nowhere In Particular <http://desparatebeep.blogspot.com/2011/06/expensive-key-to-nowhere-in-particular.html>
Desparatebeep

Think of it this way, we trust the bank because we get a statement about how much we have with them. Imagine the next time you asked the bank how much you have in your bank account and they told you they couldn’t tell you for your own good. Now, would be inclined to keep your money with such a bank?

**** Govt To Review Drainage After Year's Worst Flood <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_676731.html>
Chua Hian Hou, Straits Times

The government is warning of possibly worse floods this week, even as it ponders the need to relook Singapore's drainage systems and building codes after intense rain caused heavy flooding yesterday.

**** 'How Did PAP Government Miss All The Signs?' <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/mps-change-holier-though-mindsets-044940439.html>
Andrew Loh, Yahoo!

It is ultimately about whether ministers accept that criticisms are important, despite who is making them, and whether it is willing to see and acknowledge that one cannot be right all the time.

**** Hands Up — Those Who Prefer Rigged Presidential Elections <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/06/06/hands-up-those-who-prefer-rigged-presidential-elections/>
Au Waipang, Yawning Bread

**** 'We're Disappointed With PUB' <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1133513/1/.html>
Wayne Chan, Channel NewsAsia

The Orchard Road Business Association (ORBA) has said it is disappointed with national water agency PUB over the Orchard Road flood on Sunday.

"This has caused a big concern because... we suspect the problem's been transferred from the downstream of Orchard Road to the upstream of Orchard Road where Tanglin Mall and Forum are located".

**** Singapore Floods: Google Alerts Where The Danger Spots Are <http://www.cnngo.com/singapore/life/floor-alert-singapore-citizens-are-taking-charge-and-using-google-save-their-shopcarr>
Charlene Fang, CNNGo

A year on since Orchard Road was infamously flooded in 2010, it doesn't look like the Lion City is any better equipped when dealing with flash floods.

Rather than aimlessly waiting for actual "very, very expensive schemes" -- raising roads, big retention pond, flood barriers, using sandbags -- to be installed, perhaps the best precautionary measure is this open source Google Map created by The Straits Times to warn the public about potential danger spots.

**** New System Causes Long Delays At JB Checkpoints <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/system-causes-long-delays-jb-checkpoints-050832546.html>
Liyana Low, Yahoo!

**** MOM Reviewing English Test For Domestic Maids <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1133537/1/.html>
Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

The test is under the spotlight following the death of a 26-year-old Indonesian who hanged herself after failing it three times in as many days.

**** Why Tanglin Mall Didn't Get Flood Alerts <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1133563/1/.html>
Wayne Chan, Channel NewsAsia

[PUB] said this was due to a problem with the system software which will be immediately rectified.

**** Focus On HDB (Part 4): HDB Rental Flats For Singaporeans Only <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/06/focus-on-hdb-part-4-hdb-rental-flats-for-singaporeans-only/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen