[MyAppleMenu] Jul 22, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Jul 22 18:59:01 EDT 2011

**** Cuddling Up With Lion <http://kensegall.com/blog/2011/07/cuddling-up-with-lion/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+observatory+%28observatory%29>
Ken Segall's Observatory

Even with so many critics looking for another chance to pounce, Mac OS X Lion is getting a very warm reception — which is a pretty good indicator of what a solid product it is.

**** Bare Bones Software's BBEdit 10 Re-writes The Text Editor <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/bare-bones-softwares-bbedit-10-re-writes-the-text-editor/10594?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+zdnet%2FApple+%28ZDNet+The+Apple+Core%29>
Jason D. O'Grady, ZDNet

**** Nine Things You Should Do After Installing OS X Lion <http://techcrunch.com/2011/07/21/os-x-lion-new-features/>
Greg Kumparak, TechCrunch

**** Adobe Caught With Pants Down, 5 Months After Lion Released To Developers <http://obamapacman.com/2011/07/adobe-caught-with-pants-down-5-months-after-mac-os-x-lion-released-to-developers/>
Obama Pacman

Wow. Again, Adobe’s original rant was: “based on tests with a pre-release version of Mac OS X Lion that related to only one particular Mac GPU configuration.”

**** The Variegation Of The Species: Fake Apple Stores Abound In China <http://techcrunch.com/2011/07/22/the-variegation-of-the-species-fake-apple-stores-abound-in-china/>
TechCrunch

**** Glissando: A Neat New iPhone Music Player App <http://www.mcelhearn.com/2011/07/22/glissando-a-neat-new-iphone-music-player-app/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

A neat new app for playing music on an iPhone and iPod touch came across my radar today. The 99¢ Glissando brings a new take to playing music from your library.

**** Apple Updates Standalone Keyboards For OS X Lion <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/22/apple-updates-standalone-keyboards-for-os-x-lion/>
Eric Slivka, MacRumors

**** Farewell Front Row <http://www.macworld.com/article/161284/2011/07/farewell_frontrow.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** Security Flaw Found On Mac Retail Packaging <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/government/security-flaw-found-on-mac-retail-packaging/10631?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ZDNetBlogs+%28ZDNet+All+Blogs%29>
David Gewirtz, ZDNet

On the outside of the shipping box for the Mac mini server (and I presume this is the case for other Apple products), the serial number of the server was prominently displayed. This means that everyone in the shipping chain between Apple and my home had access to the serial number of my new computer.

**** 24 Hours With Lion, 'It Just Works' (Mostly) <http://blogs.computerworld.com/18673/24_hours_with_lion_it_just_works_mostly>
Jonny Evans, Computerworld

Apple may not have changed the tech landscape with this release -- yet -- but it has set down an important foundation stone which will enable it to drive that change in future.

**** Making Desktop Webapps In Lion <http://ihnatko.com/2011/07/22/making-desktop-webapps-in-lion/>
Andy Ihnatko's Celestial Waste of Bandwidth (BETA)

It’s a little like the “Web Clippings” feature of Dashboard. Except this isn’t Dashboard, so there’s actually a chance in hell that you’ll ever use this thing.

**** Use Lion's FileVault 2 To Encrypt Your Mac's Internal Drive <http://www.macworld.com/article/161258/2011/07/filevault2internal.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Roman Loyola, Macworld

**** David Bowie, The Cool Chameleon From Mars <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/22/books/david-bowie-starman-by-paul-trynka-review.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Dwight Garner, New York Times

I’ve since caught up, a bit, with Mr. Bowie’s earlier and best music, and I looked forward to “David Bowie: Starman” to hit the reset button on my sense of the man and his work.

**** Speaking Clock: Why Are People Still Dialling For The Time? <http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14198506>
BBC Magazine

At the third stroke, the Speaking Clock will be 75 years old. But why in an era of laptops and mobiles do many people still get the precise time from a recording of a well-spoken woman?

**** Singapore: Murdochian Democracy? <http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3334&Itemid=164>
John Berthelsen, Asia Sentinel

What that statement betrays is that Rupert Murdoch appears to have no basic understanding of either independent journalism or democracy itself.

**** Breaking The Link – Cutting And Removing The KTM Railway Line <http://otterman.wordpress.com/2011/07/22/breaking-the-link-cutting-and-removing-the-ktm-railway-line/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+OttermanSpeaks+%28Otterman+speaks...%29>
Otterman Speaks...

A symbolic scene greeted me on my field trip yesterday morning. The Malaysian (Keretapi Tanah Melayu or KTM) railway I crossed each time I ventured into Mandai mangroves since 1987 has been cut. The fastening clips have been removed and collected in canvas bags along the railway.

**** Calls For Video Recording Have Been Considered: MinLaw <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1142336/1/.html>
Teo Xuanwei, Today

In response to Today's queries, MinLaw said the suggestion had been considered during the review - which involved representatives of relevant Government agencies, the Law Society, the Association of Criminal Lawyers of Singapore, academia and lawyers.

It was eventually not incorporated in the revised CPC because "the Government decided that video recording would not be really effective in ensuring that statements were voluntarily given", said MinLaw.

**** Govt Borrowings: Benefit S’poreans? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/07/govt-borrowings-benefit-s’poreans/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

**** Nationalising Public Transport Not Fair <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_693083.html>
Daniel Yew, Straits Times

We should draw a clear line between state money, which funds basic infrastructure (which benefits the country as a whole) and state money subsidising transport operations (which benefit only users).

Mr Giam does not differentiate between the two. Using taxpayers' funds to subsidise public transport users is an ongoing, open-ended contribution which is unfair to those who do not use it.

**** Offer An Alternative Better Than Nationalisation <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_693294.html>
Toh Cheng Seong, Straits Times

**** The Void Deck Question. <http://unbiasedelectorate.wordpress.com/2011/07/22/the-void-deck-question/>
Unbiasedelectorate

**** Statement From Tan Kin Lian - Public Transport Fares <http://tankinlian.blogspot.com/2011/07/statement-from-tan-kin-lian-public.html>
Tan Kin Lian

I echo the views of the public and wish to ask the Public Transport Council to delay any fare increase until the public transport operators can provide more capacity and improve the standard of service, namely to provide a more comfortable ride with shorter waiting and travelling time.

I also ask the Minister of Transport and the Land Transport Authority to take urgent steps to revamp the public transport system in Singapore by increasing the capacity and encouraging more effective competition among the public transport operators.

**** Roslan Bin Bakar – Are We Sure He’s Guilty? <http://kirstenhan.me/2011/07/22/roslan-bin-bakar-–-are-we-sure-he’s-guilty/>
Funny Little World

When I first heard about Roslan bin Bakar’s case, I couldn’t believe my ears. How can a guy be convicted based on testimony alone, seemingly without any concrete evidence? How is it possible that those who were at the scene have escaped the death penalty, while the guy who was arrested one month later, based on their testimony, be headed for the noose?

It just didn’t make any sense. But it’s real, and it’s happened.

**** Are The 3rd Generation PAP Leaders Not Really Self-serving? <http://singaporerecalcitrant.blogspot.com/2011/07/are-3rd-generation-pap-leaders-not.html>
Singapore Recalcitrant

**** Interchangeable <http://piaroh.wordpress.com/2011/07/22/interchangeable/>
Words Of The Cze

Think about it. FairPrice is as far as I know also run as a cooperative. Can anyone honestly say that it’s lost its business instinct in the meantime? I think not. Has it achieved its objective of keeping grocery bills affordable in a competitive environment? Imperfectly, but yes.

**** Singaporeans Need A President They Can Trust, Says Tan Cheng Bock <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1142426/1/.html>
Favian Ng, Sharon See, Channel NewsAsia

The President is the only Singaporean leader voted by all Singaporeans and as such, they need a president whom they can trust and who will put the nation above politics, said Dr Tan Cheng Bock.

"They want to know if they can trust him to put the nation above politics, to look after their money, to make special appointments of top civil servants whose policies will affect their lives. He must make good and wise decisions, without fear, without favour," said Dr Tan.

**** Teachers Slammed For Mocking Special Needs Student Online <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/teachers-slammed-mocking-special-needs-student-online-061338158.html>
Faris Mokhtar, Yahoo!

**** PAP Must Start To Prepare For Next GE's Leadership Renewal: PM Lee <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1142481/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

He said the party must start to identify potential new candidates now, and the sooner they are found, the earlier they can start to work the ground.