[MyAppleMenu] Jul 14, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Jul 14 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Keys To Easier iPad Typing <http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/13/keys-to-easier-ipad-typing/?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Roy Furchgott, New York Times

**** Managing Overheating External Hard Drives In OS X <http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20079279-263/managing-overheating-external-hard-drives-in-os-x/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

To prevent overheating of your hard drives, try some of the following tips.

**** An Easier Way To Find Files Using Time Machine <http://mac360.com/index.php/mac360/comments/an-easier-way-to-find-files-using-time-machine>
Ron McElfresh, Mac360

**** How To Log Out Of Your Mac Immediately With The Keyboard <http://lifehacker.com/5820655/how-to-log-out-of-your-mac-immediately-with-the-keyboard>
Lifehacker

**** Apple Tweaks International App Store Pricing <http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-20079308-248/apple-tweaks-international-app-store-pricing/?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
Josh Lowensohn, CNET

An Apple spokeswoman told CNET the "minor" price adjustments are due to changes in foreign exchange rates and local tax laws in those countries. Those changes are limited to the App Store and the Mac App Store, and not the company's hardware, the person said.

**** Make Custom iPhone Ringtones, Alerts With GarageBand <http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-20079181-285/make-custom-iphone-ringtones-alerts-with-garageband/>
Jason Cipriani, CNET

Tired of hearing the same old boring ringtone? We know the feeling--so we decided to make an easy-to-follow guide for making a ringtone using the music you already own. Making a ringtone on OS X is a simple process. You will just need to have have GarageBand 4.1.1+ and iTunes 7.5 or above installed on your Mac.

**** Apple Introduces Volume App Purchasing For Business And Education Including Discounts <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/13/apple-introduces-volume-app-purchasing-for-business-and-education-including-discounts/>
Arnold Kim, MacRumors

According to Apple, the App Store Volume Purchase Program allows businesses and educational institutions in the U.S. to purchase apps in volume and distribute them within their organizations.

**** After Final Cut Pro Debacle, Does Apple Still Care About Creative Pros? <http://arstechnica.com/apple/guides/2011/07/does-apple-still-care-about-creative-pros.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Dave Girard, Ars Technica

The FCP X launch, and the discontent surrounding the new product, fed into a larger anxiety about Apple's intentions for the pro Mac market. Was FCP X just a single, poorly handled event or was it an indication of Apple's direction from now on, media pros be damned?

Apple doesn't answer such questions about future plans, but it's not hard to read Apple's palms if you look hard enough. The company won't ditch creative pros—but that doesn't mean there won't be serious rough spots ahead.

**** iPad Power: How To Print <http://www.macworld.com/article/160312/2011/06/ipad_printing.html>
Joe Kissell, Macworld

**** Keyboard Maestro 5 Adds Programming Logic And More <http://tidbits.com/article/12321?rss>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

But in the end, just as I considered Keyboard Maestro 4 essential for my everyday Mac usage, I think Keyboard Maestro 5’s new features will merely make the application all the more essential. You may not be as addicted to automation as I am, but I’m confident in saying that without macro-based automation, I’d be a far less productive Mac user.

**** Hey! You! Get Off Of My iCloud <http://tidbits.com/article/12305?rss>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

My guess, and it’s just a guess, is that Apple has realized that multi-user Internet services aren’t the company’s strong suit, and they have intentionally focused iCloud on providing a data conduit for apps running on multiple devices owned by a single individual. That’s certainly Apple’s prerogative, and it’s likely that iCloud will solve a particular set of data synchronization problems that have long caused headaches for developers (assuming, of course, that iCloud synchronization works better than MobileMe calendar and contact synchronization has, historically speaking).

Nonetheless, at least as I understand what iCloud will make available to developers initially, we won’t be seeing iCloud-enabled apps that let us share data with one another, or collaborate in real-time, or publish anything for the world to see. That may simply be out of scope for what Apple is hoping to achieve, but I remain disappointed.

**** A Bookshop Going Places <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/jul/13/bookshop-book-barge?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Lee Rourke, The Guardian

First we had slow food, then slow writing and now, quite naturally it seems, we have slow bookselling. Slow bookselling? I hear you ask. We're all aware of what's happening to the average independent book shop in today's accelerated, one-click internet-led environment: they are closing down by the score, and it's becoming a major struggle for the average independent bookshop to survive. I've written before about what my ideal bookshop would be like, but I have to admit my ideal wouldn't stand a chance today.

**** Say 'Non' To Phrasebook Foreign Language In Fiction <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/jul/13/phrasebook-foreign-language-fiction?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Daniel Kalder, The Guardian

Is there anything in this sorrowful world worse than books written in English where foreign words with everyday meanings appear untranslated in italics? Well yes, obviously. But that does not mean that the untranslated word is not an evil worthy of severe condemnation.

**** Weekend At Kermie's: The Muppets' Strange Life After Death <http://www.theawl.com/2011/07/weekend-at-kermies-the-muppets-strange-life-after-death>
Elizabeth Stevens, The Awl

Who but the Muppets could get away with calling Mickey a rodent? Who else could turn Prince Charming into a corny joke?

**** 谁是亚洲艺术中心 香港还是新加坡 <http://collection.sina.com.cn/yjjj/20110713/155332197.shtml>
艺术与投资

香港跑赢了比赛。零税收自然是给香港加分的条件,但香港成功更重要的因素在于,在宽松的氛围中,所有的新生事物都是生机勃勃地自然发展,完全依靠人的主动性和创造力,而不是像新加坡那样由政府规划各种方针。香港模式也许暂时会充满混乱和嘈杂,却是一种更自然、积极和有效的方式。

**** Review Fare Adjustment Formula <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_690237.html>
Leong Sze Hian, Straits Times

By any measure relative to the performance of other listed companies in Singapore, or other public transport companies in the world, SMRT's financial performance has been spectacular.

Shouldn't public transport be a public good and service, rather than a money-making machine for shareholders?

**** Lui Tuck Yew Defending The Privatization Of Public Transport <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2011/07/lui-tuck-yew-defending-privatization-of.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

In my opinion, any able administrator could run the companies without raising fares for the next three years without making losses, unless fuel cost shot up dramatically.

**** Where The Singapore Dollar Is Heading <http://www.minyanville.com/businessmarkets/articles/ews-etf-Singapore-dollar-Straits-Times/7/13/2011/id/35660>
Howard Simons, Minyanville

Singapore has demonstrated that a society committed to free market principles and accepting of a no-nonsense political system -- even though Americans might regard it as authoritarian -- can do very well for itself in this world. It is an economy based on brainpower, some port facilities, oil refining, electronic manufacture, and not much else.

**** Foreigners Eligible For Baby Bonus <http://news.insing.com/tabloid/foreigners-eligible-for-baby-bonus/id-e1dc3b00>
Shin Min Daily News

Many netizens are outraged that foreigners are eligible for Baby Bonuses that they believe should be meant for Singaporeans.

The Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports clarify that this clause for foreigners applies to those who have children of Singaporean nationality. These children are therefore eligible for a Child Development Account.

**** PAP MP wants townhall meetings. Sounds familiar? <http://www.yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4897-pap-mp-wants-townhall-meetings-sounds-familiar->
Singapore Democratic Party

**** The Public Transport <http://unbiasedelectorate.wordpress.com/2011/07/14/the-public-transport/>
Unbiasedelectorate

How can you expect a profit-driven company be efficient when customer have no alternative?

**** Singapore’s Economy Shrank Last Quarter <http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-07-14/singapore-s-economy-shrank-last-quarter.html>
Shamim Adam, Bloomberg

Singapore’s economy shrank for the first time in three quarters as manufacturing fell, adding to evidence of easing Asian growth with global risks rising. The island’s currency weakened from a record.

**** Singapore's GDP Grows 0.5% In Q2 <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110714-0000084/Singapores-GDP-grows-0,5-in-Q2>
Today

Singapore's economy grew by 0.5 per cent on a year-on-year basis in the second quarter of 2011, down from the 9.3 per cent growth in the previous quarter.

The advance estimates released by the ministry said the moderation in growth reflected a slowdown across many sectors.

**** Slowdown In Q2 Won't Have Direct Impact On Re-employment Law: NTUC <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1140866/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

The slowdown in Singapore's second quarter economic growth will not have a direct or significant impact on re-employment laws for older workers which will kick in from January next year. NTUC deputy secretary general Heng Chee How said the re-employment law should be sustainable across economic cycles.

**** Tan Cheng Bock Takes Leave From Medical Practice <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1140838/1/.html>
Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

The former MP told Channel NewsAsia that he had to make sure his elderly patients were taken care of before making the move to do so.

**** Condo Residents Unhappy As Work On MRT Line Resumes <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/condo-residents-unhappy-mrt-line-resumes-055526768.html>
Yahoo!

**** Nationalising Public Transportation – Is It Feasible? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/07/nationalising-public-transportation-is-it-feasible/>
Azhar Khamis, The Online Citizen

Since there is no competition to begin with, why the need to privatise our train and bus services and then have a Public Transportation Council (PTC) with 16 council members, excluding support staffs, to regulate something that can’t be regulated anyway?

**** "Tuck You" Logic <http://feedmetothefish.blogspot.com/2011/07/tuck-you-logic.html>
Feed Me To The Fish

It makes no sense to me that a non-profit organisation will hurt a commuter/taxpayer more than a greedy profit making company. Is it the same old logic of, "If you don't pay your ministers millions, your mother, wife and daughter will end up as maids in other country!"?

**** Neither Law Nor Morality At Manpower Ministry <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/07/15/neither-law-nor-morality-at-manpower-ministry/>
Au Waipang, Yawning Bread

What’s the use of fine words like these, if the reality is that the ministry hardly ever prosecutes anyone, and if in “mediation sessions” officials pretend there is no such legal obligation on employers. Even if the ministry’s press secretary can trundle out one or two prosecutions in a year in an attempt to refute my point, compared to the hundreds or thousands of complaints they get, it’s but a drop in an ocean. From experience, employers can safely count on the ministry turning a blind eye to their infractions, allowing mediation to drag on and on even when they are clearly in the wrong.