[MyAppleMenu] Dec 20, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Dec 20 18:59:01 EST 2011

**** When iCal No Longer Accepts Reminders <http://www.macworld.com/article/164382/2011/12/ical_no_reminders.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** Apple Now Replacing Recalled First-Gen iPod Nanos With Current-Gen Models? <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/20/apple-now-replacing-recalled-first-gen-ipod-nanos-with-current-gen-models/>
Eric Slivka, MacRumors

It now appears, however, that Apple may have run out of refurbished first-generation iPod nano units and may now be shipping out current-generation units as replacements. Several users have reported over the past few days that they have received emails acknowledging shipment of their replacement device's and checking the serial numbers of the replacement devices on Apple's support site has shown them to be sixth-generation models.

**** Photo Booth Power User Features <http://www.macworld.com/article/164383/2011/12/photo_booth_power_user_features.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

While Photo Booth’s feature set is still pretty simple, there are a few power user tricks to the software that may help you get more out of it.

**** Put Your Audiobooks In The Cloud With iTunes Match <http://www.macworld.com/article/164237/2011/12/put_your_audiobooks_in_the_cloud_with_itunes_match.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

**** EyeTV Mobile Review <http://www.macworld.co.uk/digitallifestyle/reviews/?reviewid=3326164&olo=rss>
Nick Spence, Macworld UK

Under good reception conditions, Elgato’s EyeTV Mobile is a great way of watching and recording Freeview on your iPad 2. And as analogue signals are switched off across the UK, reception should improve as digital signal strength increases. For now, however, local reception issues could dictate if this dinky TV tuner is the right choice for you.

**** Check App Store Updates With Just A URL <http://www.macgasm.net/2011/12/20/check-app-store-updates-url/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macgasm%2Fmain+%28Macgasm%29>
Jared Erondu, Macgasm

So the next time you want to alert users of an update, just send them a URL that’ll open the App Store and go directly to the updates page.

**** Goodnight iPad Rewrites Classic Bedtime Story For Digital Era <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/dec/20/goodnight-ipad-rewrites-bedtime-story?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Alison Flood, The Guardian

A parody of the classic children's bedtime story Goodnight Moon, dragging the simple tale into the modern age by replacing moons, kittens, mittens and bears with iPads, e-readers and a "huge LCD Wifi HDTV", is taking off in America this Christmas.

**** Apple Rolls Out 'Complete My Season Pass' For TV Shows <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/20/apple-rolls-out-complete-my-season-pass-for-tv-shows/>
Eric Slivka, MacRumors

**** iPhones, iPod Touches Still On iOS 3.1.3 Can't Download New Apps Directly From The App Store <http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/20/iphones-ipod-touches-still-on-ios-3-1-3-cant-download-new-apps/>
Richard Lawler, Engadget

**** When The Price Is Free(mium) <http://www.technologyreview.com/business/39223/?ref=rss>
Aaron Levie, Technology Review

How cloud startups are disrupting enterprise giants with a business model.

**** Fire In The Library <http://www.technologyreview.com/article/39317/?ref=rss>
Matt Schwartz, Technology Review

Once, we stored our photos and other mementos in shoeboxes in the attic; now we keep them online. That puts our stuff at the mercy of companies that could decide to throw it away—unless Jason Scott and the Archive Team can get there first.

**** Should The Finger Be Pointing At The CEO? A Moleview Of The SMRT Saga.... <http://gigomole.blogspot.com/2011/12/should-finger-be-pointing-at-ceo.html>
The Gigamole Diaries

It seems clear at the moment that the SMRT CEO did all she could within her capabilities. Unfortunately though her experience was principally in retail and marketing. Was she someone who had a good insight into the technical/engineering and operation needs of the SMRT? Should we blame her for lapses in areas outside her expertise. Yes, as she is CEO; but not entirely, as the Board should account for why they did not think operational/service skills were critically important for a train and transport company. Transport Minister Lui was spot on when he picked up the phone to speak with Chairman SMRT. This is a problem squarely shared by the Board and Management.

**** A Slow Day On The Tracks <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC111220-0000064/A-slow-day-on-the-tracks>
Today

SMRT told Channel NewsAsia that the withdrawal of the faulty train was done in less than 15 minutes and would not have "caused a system-wide delay".

**** Transport Woes: Manifestations Of The Singaporean Rot <http://mollymeek.wordpress.com/2011/12/19/transport-woes-manifestations-of-the-singaporean-rot/>
Molitics

In Singapore, the first, and usually only, impulse when a problem that is significant enough is uncovered in Singapore is to make sure that it does not happen again. For the sake of The Greats. There is a rule that The Greats must never lose face. The greater you are, the less your face can be compromised. SMRT is now told that it must make things right. But what if SMRT only operates under a system that the PAP has made wrongly? Even if problems are systemic, we address them as though they are not. We are then pressured never to let manifestations of systemic inadequacies arise again although the same problematic system does not change. The lowest life forms thus get the most stress, and we are generally an unhappy and fearful population.

**** SMRT's Problems Are Puzzling <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC111220-0000067/SMRTs-problems-are-puzzling>
Oun Hui Peng, Today

This state of affairs makes me ponder the justification for the fare hikes, which were to defray higher costs, such as maintenance, arising from higher ridership. There is definitely a contradiction here.

I was equally taken aback to read that 61 rail defects and 13 faulty trains were discovered. Since there is regular maintenance, why were these problems not discovered prior to last week?

**** Show Us You Empathise, SMRT <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC111220-0000069/Show-us-you-empathise,-SMRT>
Chlorin Chew Pei Wah, Today

SMRT should take a profit cut and reduce its fares for all its shortcomings instead of expecting commuters to pay and suffer all the inconvenience.

**** What Has Gone Wrong With SMRT, LTA, And The Entire System <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=7273>
Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

SMRT has turned the train stations into profit centres that cater not just to commuters, but to a whole host of businesses and commercial enterprises. It is lucrative, no doubt. But given the apparent lack of attention paid to issues like train reliability and robustness, perhaps its time for SMRT to go back to basics and re-focus on its core responsibilities to all Singaporeans commuters — providing a safe, reliable and efficient train network.

**** Regaining Aljunied GRC <http://blogging4myself.blogspot.com/2011/12/regaining-aljunied-grc.html>
Blogging For Myself

Aljunied was lost over national issues. I am afraid it can only be won in the same way. The WP is neither stupid or incompetent to run municipal services badly. If anything they are bringing in a breath of fresh air to the stifling PAP.

**** Grassroots Gripped By Stockholm Syndrome Over SMRT Fiasco While Shareholders Lose Confidence <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/12/grassroots-gripped-by-stockholm-syndrome-over-smrt-fiasco-while-shareholders-lose-confidence/>
Kumaran Pillai, The Online Citizen

What I found most disturbing was that they somehow found justifications for these breakdowns, said that it was ok, it is all part of the ‘new normal,’ giving it a completely new spin. Back in 2002, Tharman compared Singapore with New York; the grassroots have now started comparing Singapore with Sub-Saharan Africa and the ulu jungles of Amazon. Their statement normally goes something like this, “You know people in Africa ride on camel backs – consider yourself fortunate!”

**** SMRT: Hoax Calls Spread Monday Evening False Alarms <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/trains-on-n-s-line-slow--sometimes-stall.html>
Jeanette Tan, Yahoo!

It said in a statement that hoax calls were to blame for spreading false alarms about lengthy delays and train disruptions along the rail network.

However, the train operator's claims that all was well contradicts several eyewitness accounts.

**** SMRT - A Public Transporter That Went Terribly Wrong With Its Business Model <http://de-leviathan.blogspot.com/2011/12/smrt-public-transporter-that-went.html>
De Leviathan @ SG

The 2 recent SMRT outages certainly illustrate that the "profit and market mechanism" isn't working, definitely not when the "corporate culture and business model" is all wrong. How long could it last to hide under the "skirt" of the PTC to deliver a never-ending stream of incremental profits annually? Certainly, the Workers' Party should raise questions over train disruptions , as it is the only opposition party capable to highlight the needs of a "nationalised transport system", which is not purely motivated by pure profits alone.

SMRT should think about "service delivery" first as a public transporter and forget about becoming another corporate giant motivated solely by profits and at the expense of the general fare-paying public and its shareholders. We certianly do not need any enhancement of "shopping experience" at the expense of a safe ride.

**** Compensate Commuters Better <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_746715.html>
Chia Kok Chin, Straits Times

What is the value of all the lost time and additional costs incurred due to the disruptions? Shouldn't SMRT compensate people for this? Offering a sum of, say, $100 per commuter would show that SMRT is truly remorseful and wishes to make restitution for the losses incurred by commuters.

**** Trains Should Have Passenger Limits <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_746714.html>
Shirley Woon, Straits Times

Were the carriages packed beyond capacity so passengers could not feel the air coming from the ventilators? Are carriages too heavy, so the weight destroys the collector shoes?

**** Inadequate Back-up By Buses <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_746713.html>
Lim Jia Kai, Straits Times

**** Introduce Parallel Bus Services <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_746710.html>
Tan Kin Lian, Straits Times

I suggest that the fares to be charged by the bus operators should be pegged to the same level as the SMRT fares. While this may appear to be on the high side, it will increase the supply of buses, especially from hard-working private bus operators.

**** Cultural Faults We Must Correct <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_746787.html>
Tan Soon Meng, Straits Times

Two aspects of Singapore culture are relevant. First is the Government's practice of placing top people where they have no experience. Second is the reactive, rather than proactive, nature of organisations and citizens.

**** NEL Train Service Suffers Delay <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1172328/1/.html>
Hon Jing Yi, Channel NewsAsia

Train service on the North-East Line (NEL) between Outram Park and HarbourFront Stations were delayed for about 20 minutes on Tuesday morning due to a signalling fault.

**** North Bound Trains Slower On Tuesday Due To Train Delays <http://www.straitstimes.com/The-Big-Story/The-Big-Story-3/Story/STIStory_746937.html>
Jalelah Abu Baker, Straits Times

Commuters travelling on the north south line towards Marina Bay found themselves packed more tightly than usual at peak hour on Tuesday morning.

**** 我们是道道地地的双语社会吗? <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/yl111220_004.shtml>
章良我, 联合早报

**** How Many Singaporeans Have $131,000 In CPF At 55? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/12/how-many-singaporeans-have-131000-in-cpf-at-55/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

Since the annual inflation rate for 2010 was only 2.8 per cent, why is the MRA increase about six times more than inflation?

**** COI To Look Into Breakdowns, Kudos To The PM <http://www.publichouse.sg/categories/community/item/321-coi-to-look-into-breakdowns-kudos-to-the-pm>
Andrew Loh, Publichouse.sg

After the second security breach at a SMRT depot in Bishan in August, the SMRT convened an “independent” committee to look into the breach. The committee was headed by its chief executive officer (CEO), Ms Saw Phaik Hwa.

It is thus good to know that this time round, the COI will consist of independent members. Singaporeans hope that the COI will, once and for all, get to the root of the matter and act accordingly.

**** 欧南园地铁站厕所预计下月启用 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp111220_023.shtml>
陈紫筠, 联合早报

经过多年等待,欧南园地铁站东西线出口处的新厕所将修建完毕,预计下个月启用。

**** 南北线车程长了3至20分钟 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp111220_001.shtml>
黎远漪 胡洁梅, 联合早报

**** A Lack Of Foresight? <http://www.todayonline.com/Commentary/EDC111216-0000006/A-lack-of-foresight?>
Conrad Raj, Today

It is also not fair for the government to have a land sale one day and put up restrictive measures soon after. The purchase price would have reflected prevailing conditions and almost certainly would not have anticipated the impact of a government action. Could not such sales be interpreted as insider trading?

**** The Irony Of Racism <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/12/the-irony-of-racism/>
He Ruiming, The Online Citizen

**** 4 More Taxi Operators To Raise Fares Following ComfortDelGro, SMRT <http://www.straitstimes.com/The-Big-Story/The-Big-Story-3/Story/STIStory_746961.html>
Leonard Lim, Straits Times

They are Trans-Cab, Premier, Smart Automobile and Yellow Top, whose cabs are owned by individuals with taxi licences.

**** Train Breakdown Calls For Two Commissions Of Inquiry, Not One <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/12/20/train-breakdown-calls-for-two-commissions-of-inquiry-not-one/>
Alex Au, Yawning Bread

I think there should be two Commissions of Inquiry rather than one. The question of technical lapses that led to the massive train breakdowns last Thursday and Saturday are completely separate from that of crisis management. Commissions of Inquiry, while usually led by a judge, need to have enough experts in the necessary fields to be effective. If we try to give a single Commission a double-headed mandate, it would mean having fewer technical experts on it in order to accommodate crisis management experts. Either that, or make the Commission unwieldingly large.

**** Employers To Slow Down Hiring For 1st Quarter Of 2012: Survey <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_746968.html>
Straits Times

In the latest Manpower Employment Outlook Survey results released by Manpower Singapore, employers report considerably weaker hiring prospects in the first quarter of 2012.

**** A Timely Wake-up Call <http://www.publichouse.sg/categories/topstory/item/328-a-timely-wake-up-call>
Publichouse.sg

The episode has made another dent in the Government’s once invincible reputation of competence, but it will now be judged on how it recovers and whether it puts a better, more robust regime in place in operating the MRT.