[MyAppleMenu] Dec 15, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Dec 15 18:59:00 EST 2011

**** Did You Know This Particular Ribbon Is A Button? <http://www.macgasm.net/2011/12/14/ribbon-button/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macgasm%2Fmain+%28Macgasm%29>
Joshua Schnell, Macgasm

This makes no sense to me. Does it make sense to you? Did you know that ribbon was a button? If it is, it sure doesn’t look or act like one.

**** Apple Updates Logic Express To 9.1.6 <http://www.macworld.com/article/164283/2011/12/apple_updates_logic_express_to_9_1_6.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Serenity Caldwell, Macworld

Apple rolled out an update for Logic Express, with version 9.1.6 of the digital audio workstation promising a variety of fixes and app stabilization.

**** Stolen iPhone? Your iMessages May Still Be Going To The Wrong Place <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/12/stolen-iphone-your-imessages-may-still-be-going-to-the-wrong-place.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

Some unlucky iPhone owners are beginning to discover that, despite their best efforts to remove all information from their stolen phones, thieves and unsuspecting buyers are still able to send and receive iMessages as the original owner—even after the device is registered under a new account. Almost nothing seems to work—remote wiping, changing Apple ID passwords, or even moving the old phone number to a new phone—and users are becoming more than frustrated that thieves are so easily able to pose as them.

**** Macworld's 2011 App Gems Awards <http://www.macworld.com/article/164236/2011/12/macworlds_2011_app_gems_awards.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Macworld

Here are our favorite iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad apps from the past year.

**** Apple Begins International Launch Of iTunes Match <http://www.macstories.net/news/apple-begins-international-launch-of-itunes-match/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>
Cody Fink, MacStories

**** Tech Journal: Testing iPhone’s Siri In India <http://blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/2011/12/15/tech-journal-testing-iphones-siri-in-india/>
Amit Agarwal, Wall Street Journal

**** Perfect Photo Suite 6 Review <http://www.macworld.co.uk/digitallifestyle/reviews/?reviewid=3325243&olo=rss>
Michael Burns, Macworld UK

Lightroom or Aperture users will find this suite a useful addition to their image-editing toolset if they don’t have Photoshop, or at least a recent version of it. Most creatives will also welcome the options offered by FocalPoint and PerfectPortrait, though some of the other components are a bit mixed in their appeal.

**** Three Quick iMessage Tips <http://www.macworld.com/article/164247/2011/12/three_quick_imessage_tips.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

**** Apple Releases Apple TV Software Version 4.4.4, Tweaks iOS 5.0.1 For iPhone 4S <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/15/apple-releases-apple-tv-software-version-4-4-4-tweaks-ios-5-0-1-for-iphone-4s/>
Eric Slivka, MacRumors

**** Uses For A "Blind" MacBook Pro <http://www.macworld.com/article/164326/2011/12/blind_mac.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

If tests indicate that the graphics chip is on the way out but the MacBook can carry on an otherwise productive life—and be seen via a vnc connection (discussed later)—using it as a server is an excellent idea.

**** Tan Jee Say Pens His Experiences <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC111215-0000068/Tan-Jee-Say-pens-his-experiences>
Tan Weizhen, Today

He added that courage and maturity are the underlying themes of the book - both that of those who entered the political fray as well as that of ordinary voters.

**** Public Transport Should Be Our Strength, Not Achilles' Heel <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC111215-0000062/Public-transport-should-be-our-strength,-not-Achilles-heel>
Frederick Tay Han Choon, Today

Singapore's lifeblood is trade and commerce; mobility of people is a crucial enabler. Our transport infrastructure should be a competitive advantage, not Achilles' heel. It should rank close to national defence as one of our priorities.

**** In Singapore, Peeling Back The Years <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/15/greathomesanddestinations/in-singapore-new-life-for-a-dusty-gem.html?_r=3&pagewanted=all>
Naomi Lindt, New York Times

The rundown penthouse apartment that Mike Tay and Eugene Yip fell in love with in 2009 was in such a sorry state that more than 80 potential buyers had walked away from it. But Mr. Tay and Mr. Yip saw beyond its dark, claustrophobic atmosphere, the uneven floors and the frosted windows that obscured the view of the city’s skyline.

**** Free Wi-Fi Service Only Requires Single Set-up: IDA <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_745029.html>
Sheo S. Rai, Infocomm Development Authority Of Singapore, Straits Times

**** A Little Reflection On RAR <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2011/12/little-reflection-on-rar.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

The whole shit boils down to citizens not being able to buy affordably priced flats. If this is catered for, who cares if non citizens want to buy what and how high private property prices can go?

**** Manpower Ministry Warns 2 Repatriation Companies <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_745163.html>
Lin Wenjian, Straits Times

The Ministry of Manpower (MOM) is coming down on companies which repatriate foreign workers, warning them against wrongful confinement, following a raid it conducted on some of them last month.

**** A Circular Argument By Massagos In Favour Of Slave Labour <http://sonofadud.com/2011/12/15/a-circular-argument-by-massagos-in-favour-of-slave-labour/>
Reinventing The Rice Bowl

In economic terms the deployment of NS men in public security roles amounts to a labour subsidy. There is a transfer of value from the NS men to the owners and operators of the transport network.

**** Surrendering One’s Right – Part 3 <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2011/12/surrendering-ones-right-part-3.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

Singaporeans must not easily surrender their rights away, or they will always be the servant to be owned by the masters. Another right that Singaporeans must not surrender and think that there is no other way out is their money in CPF.

**** My Experience Of The Circle Line Fault <http://kkyz14.blogspot.com/2011/12/my-experience-of-circle-line-fault.html>
The Temple Of Thoughts 3

I'm not looking for LTA to fine SMRT. I'm looking for people to get axed. I want public apologies and pay cuts to the management for a job "well done". Having a failure during peak hour is already bad enough. Being unable to tell people promptly of a delay so we can adjust and modify our route, is worse.

**** Singapore : Why We Can't Seem To Innovate.... <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2011/12/singapore-why-we-cant-seem-to-innovate.html>
Diary Of A Singaporean Mind

Wozniak is right to say that strict rules and heavy punishment for breaking rules is what stifles creativity in Singapore. I believe it starts with the political space.

**** Reuse, Reduce, Recycle. What Does That Have To Do With Dolphins? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/12/reuse-reduce-recycle-what-does-that-have-to-do-with-dolphins/>
Elisabelle Aruldoss And Jewel Philemon, The Online Citizen

**** What Britain Can Learn From Singapore's Answer To Eton <http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/drmartinstephen/100123896/what-britain-can-learn-from-singapores-answer-to-eton/>
Martin Stephen, The Telegraph

Instead of damning our centres of excellence for their success, why doesn't our government subsidise children to go to them?

**** ‘Train Disruptions Unacceptable And Unforgivable’ <http://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/-Train-disruptions-yahoofinancesgwp-4224888186.html?x=0>
Andrew Loh, Yahoo!

Yet, in the years that Saw has been in charge, especially the last two to three years, the lapses in security and in service should be a cause for worry. While some failures are perhaps out of her hands to control, surely the more serious ones (which even the PTC agrees to be so, hence the hefty fines of S$200,000 and S$400,000) should entail more serious consequences.

Or will we see Saw handed another record-breaking pay cheque in 2011?

**** Breakdown On North-South MRT Line <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1171573/1/.html>
Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

Train services along the MRT North-South line are down.

Channel NewsAsia is getting reports that services are affected on both directions, from Marina Bay to Braddell. There is darkness reported at some stations.

**** SSC Not Salvaging Motorsports Hub Project <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1171545/1/.html>
Patwant Singh, Channel NewsAsia

**** Democracy Not A Western Product <http://www.yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/5053-democracy-not-a-western-product>
Singapore Democratic Party

Today, we see Asian peoples from India to Indonesia, Mongolia to Malaysia insisting on their human rights. Even the Chinese are becoming increasing restless and speaking out against authoritarian control in their country.

The tragedy for Singapore is that while the PAP paints democracy and human rights as Western, it has enthusiastically embraced Western greed and crass consumerism by turning Singapore into a mindless financial and shopping capital.

**** Desperate Passengers Stuck In Tunnel Smash MRT Window For Ventilation <http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/stomp/sgseen/this_urban_jungle/853976/desperate_passengers_stuck_in_tunnel_smashes.html>
STOMP

**** Thousands Of Commuters Stranded Due To MRT Breakdown <http://www.straitstimes.com/The-Big-Story/The-Big-Story-3/Story/STIStory_745275.html>
Elizabeth Soh, Straits Times

North-bound train service between Marina Bay and Bishan stations will be closed and will not be up for the rest of the night, SMRT said in a statement on Thursday evening.

Preliminary investigations point to about 40m of damaged power rail between City Hall and Dhoby Ghaut stations as the cause for the disruption, which affected thousands of commuters during rush-hour traffic.

**** MRT Breakdown <http://www.facebook.com/notes/lui-tuck-yew/mrt-breakdown/307396835957435>
Lui Tuck Yew, Facebook

We will therefore conduct a thorough health check on our train systems, determine how the faults happened and also whether the maintenance, communication and recovery processes were adhered to and can be further improved.

**** Is This True? SMRTTaxi Sent This Msg: Income Opportunity. Dear Partners, There Is A Breakdown In Our MRT Train Services <https://twitter.com/#!/xinnhuii/status/147309739980763137/photo/1>
XinHui Lim, Twitter