[MyAppleMenu] Dec 9, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Dec 9 18:59:00 EST 2011

**** Thunderbolt: How Devices Affect Each Other On A Daisy Chain <http://www.macworld.com/article/163773/2011/12/thunderbolt_how_devices_affect_each_other_on_a_daisy_chain.html#lsrc.rss_main>
James Galbraith, Macworld

After testing dozens of scenarios, we found that—for the most part—the two available bi-directional 10Gbps channels in the MacBook Pro (Late 2011) were more than able to keep up with the demand of multiple storage devices on a Thunderbolt daisy chain. However, if you add multiple displays to that chain, the throughput of some drives can be severely limited.

**** Twitter Reveals New Design, Revamped iPhone App <http://www.macworld.com/article/164135/2011/12/twitter_reveals_new_design_revamped_iphone_app.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

The microblogging service unveiled a new version of its online interface Thursday, with a focus on simplifying the design and making the service easier to use. The new look will roll out on the website in the next few weeks, but it’s available now at Twitter’s mobile website, along with a just-updated Twitter app for iPhone.

**** The New Twitter (R.I.P. Tweetie) <http://daringfireball.net/2011/12/new_twitter>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

Twitter 4.0 for iPhone lacks the surprise, delight, and attention to detail of a deserving successor to Tweetie, offering instead a least common denominator experience that no one deserves.

**** LaCie's Thunderbolt SSD Combines Speed, Portability <http://www.macworld.com/article/164041/2011/12/lacies_thunderbolt_ssd_combines_speed_portability.html#lsrc.rss_main>
James Galbraith, Macworld

It only works with Thunderbolt-equipped Macs, but for those who can use it, the LaCie Little Big Disk Thunderbolt Edition 240GB SSD packs a big performance punch in a small package.

**** Logic Pro And Main Stage Land On The Mac App Store <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/12/09/logic-pro-and-main-stage-land-on-the-mac-app-store/>
Matt Tinsley, TUAW

**** Grand Central Terminal Packed For Apple Retail Store Opening <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/09/grand-central-terminal-packed-for-apple-retail-store-opening/>
Eric Slivka, MacRumors

**** Trial Of The Will <http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2012/01/hitchens-201201>
Christopher Hitchens, Vanity Fair

Reviewing familiar principles and maxims in the face of mortal illness, Christopher Hitchens has found one of them increasingly ridiculous: “Whatever doesn’t kill me makes me stronger.” Oh, really? Take the case of the philosopher to whom that line is usually attributed, Friedrich Nietzsche, who lost his mind to what was probably syphilis. Or America’s homegrown philosopher Sidney Hook, who survived a stroke and wished he hadn’t. Or, indeed, the author, viciously weakened by the very medicine that is keeping him alive.

**** Now That Books Mean Nothing <http://www.themorningnews.org/article/now-that-books-mean-nothing>
Nell Boeschenstein, The Morning News

When you’ve long been identified as a “literary type,” how can it be that receiving books as get-well gifts leaves you feeling empty, angry, and determined to chug YouTube straight?

**** Of Course It's Price-Fixing! <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2011/12/of-course-its-price-fixing.html>
Singapore Notes

**** Ex-MP Choo Wee Khiang Charged With Corruption <http://everythingalsocomplain.com/2011/12/08/ex-mp-choo-wee-khiang-charged-with-corruption/>
Everything Also Complain

**** Citizens Of 5 Countries To Pay Same Stamp Duty As Singaporeans <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_743006.html>
Jonathan Kwok, Straits Times

Citizens of five countries that have free trade deals with Singapore, including the United States and Switzerland, will be treated as Singaporeans for the purposes of the new stamp duty measures.

**** Black And White Proof <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2011/12/black-and-white-proof.html>
Singapore Notes

The question on everyone's lips is how such a shady character was admitted into parliament. Well, he was the MP for Marine Parade and Jalan Besar GRCs from 1988 to 1999, another shining proof of the failings of the GRC system.

**** Prick <http://piaroh.wordpress.com/2011/12/09/prick/>
Words Of The Cze

The explicit foreigner-targeting of the new stamp duty taxes on property purchases are, shall I say, bound to be immensely popular, at least with citizens. It is also fairly difficult to criticise negatively. Try as I might, I find little reason to object, except of course for the obvious drawback of making the country a less attractive destination for non-PR foreign professionals. That however isn’t that much of a big deal, since short-term stays are a lot less important to our growth plans then those who do stay long enough to attain PR status.

**** The Insult From REDAS <http://blogging4myself.blogspot.com/2011/12/insult-from-redas.html>
Blogging For Myself

I am appalled how shameless and guilty looking Redas is. I am even beginning to wonder what Redas relationship with MND top leaders were like before Khaw Boon Wan took over.

**** Partial Acquisition Of Upper Paya Lebar Rd To Ease Congestion <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1170396/1/.html>
Joanne Chan, Channel NewsAsia

A part of Upper Paya Lebar Road will be widened by 2014 to improve traffic flow between the residential areas in the Northeast, and the industrial parks in Aljunied, Ubi and Eunos.