[MyAppleMenu] Aug 30, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Aug 30 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Two Important Screen Sharing Changes In Lion <http://tidbits.com/article/12443?rss>
Glenn Fleishman, TidBITS

Mac OS X 10.7 Lion’s marquee features hide some of the fine subtle changes to existing capabilities. A good case in point is Screen Sharing, the software and underlying service used to provide remote control and viewing of other computers on your local network or out on the Internet. One Lion-wide feature and one improvement in the Screen Sharing application make controlling remote Macs far more fluid.

**** More Ways To Master Mission Control <http://www.macworld.com/article/161892/2011/08/more_ways_to_master_mission_control.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

Once you enter Mission Control in Lion—either by swiping up with three or four fingers, hitting Control-Up arrow, clicking on the Dock icon, or any other means—there are a lot of secrets hiding away in Apple’s new mash-up of Exposé and Spaces.

**** The iPad Takes On Manufacturing <http://www.macworld.com/article/162017/2011/08/the_ipad_takes_on_manufacturing.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Beth Stackpole, Computerworld

Now the Apple iPad—and, to a lesser extent, emerging competitors in the burgeoning tablet market—are starting to pop up on the plant floor and in distribution centers and warehouses, promising to wring efficiencies and cost savings out of industrial operations by offering mobility and real-time data visibility to workers in manufacturing.

**** The Big Apple <http://davidgalbraith.org/uncategorized/the-big-apple/2619/>
David Galbraith

It would be a fitting cap to an illustrious career and the achievement of a long term goal that Fosters never quite pulled off (even if you include the Hearst Tower in NY) to re-import his quintessentially American style from Europe, repeating what Jonathan Ive did for product design under Jobs, and to produce something that becomes an American cultural landmark, something which Silicon Valley lacks.

**** Review: Perfect RSS Reader Brings The Full Google Reader Experience To The iPad <http://thenextweb.com/apps/2011/08/29/review-perfect-rss-reader-brings-the-full-google-reader-experience-to-the-ipad/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheNextWeb+%28The+Next+Web+All+Stories%29>
The Next Web

**** New Lion Bug May Trouble Windows File Sharing <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/new-lion-bug-may-trouble-windows-file-sharing/10956?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+zdnet%2FApple+%28ZDNet+The+Apple+Core%29>
David Morgenstern, ZDNet

According to a reported bug, Apple Mac OS X Lion client and server have trouble with Windows Sharing for flies including extended attributes. The issue extends to Windows 7 and Windows XP.

**** Adobe Releases CreatePDF For iOS <http://www.macstories.net/news/adobe-releases-createpdf-for-ios/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

According to Adobe, “CreatePDF brings the same high-quality PDF creation as Adobe Acrobat” to iOS devices, with PDF documents that look “exactly” like the original files they were generated from; the app uses Adobe’s online services for performance and quality, creating PDFs that preserve quality and accessibility standards with the inclusion of links, images, footnotes, and more.

**** How To Arrange And Sort Files In Lion Finder <http://www.macworld.com/article/162008/2011/08/arrange_sort_files_lion_finder.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

The three sorting tools do have three distinct functions: Arrange By lets you organize files into groups. The new Sort By option does much of what Arrange By did in the past. And Clean Up By is a kind of impermanent Sort By. But the three options aren’t always available in all Finder views. Sometimes you can combine them; sometimes you can’t. There are multiple ways of invoking them. In other words, they aren’t Apple’s smoothest bit of interface design. But here’s a rough guide to the way they work.

**** “Shrine Of Apple” Wants To Photograph Every Apple Product Ever Made <http://www.macstories.net/news/shrine-of-apple-wants-to-photograph-every-apple-product-ever-made/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

**** A Look At Apple's Handling Of Customer Emails To Executives As Tim Cook Takes Charge <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/30/a-look-at-apples-handling-of-customer-emails-to-executives/>
Eric Slivka, MacRumors

**** Jobs Made Apple Great By Ignoring Profit <http://blogs.reuters.com/great-debate/2011/08/29/jobs-made-apple-great-by-ignoring-profit/>
Clayton Christensen And James Allworth, Reuters

As paradoxical as it is that the pursuit of profit is what causes the long-term failure of companies, I believe that Apple’s lack of focus on profitability has actually made it one of the most successful companies in the history of capitalism.

**** The Future Of Gaming: A Portrait Of The New Gamers <http://www.latd.com/2011/08/23/the-future-of-gaming-a-portrait-of-the-new-gamers/>
Kadley Gosselin, Latitude

**** Grub <http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/08/15/110815fa_fact_goodyear?currentPage=all>
Dana Goodyear, New Yorker

Eating bugs to save the planet.

**** Meet The Glamorous Celebrity Tutors Of Hong Kong <http://www.slate.com/id/2302695/?from=rss>
Hillary Brenhouse, Slate

Brutal exams go down easier when your teacher looks like a pop star.

**** The Querent <http://www.themorningnews.org/article/the-querent>
Alexander Chee, The Morning News

Fortunetelling is easy to ridicule, frequently misunderstood, and, for some people, extremely powerful. Unfortunately, what’s very tough to predict is what reading futures will do to the person with the cards.

**** Fewer Complaints Does Not Equal Improved Conditions <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110830-0000202/Fewer-complaints-does-not-equal-improved-conditions>
Jolovan Wham, Humanitarian Organisation For Migration Economics (HOME), Today

However, through our interviews and experience assisting hundreds of them, we believe the problems they face reveal inadequacies in current policies, employment practices and the enforcement of existing laws.

**** Tiger Loses Another Top Cat <http://www.smh.com.au/business/tiger-loses-another-top-cat-20110829-1jid5.html>
Andrew Heasley, Sydney Morning Herald

Tiger Airways Australia has lost its third chief executive in 18 months, just weeks after the airline had its licence restored.

**** No Split In Party, Say PAP Activists And MPs <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_707455.html>
Kor Kian Beng , Tessa Wong And Rachel Chang, Straits Times

Activists and MPs of the People's Action Party (PAP) have dismissed presidential election runner-up Tan Cheng Bock's charge that the narrow margin between him and president-elect Tony Tan reflected a division in the ruling party.

**** Advisers To Grassroots Bodies Should Be Elected MPs <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_707294.html>
Muhammad Yusuf Osman, Straits Times

The perception that the PA is equated with the PAP is inevitable as long as the current practice of appointing PAP MPs and defeated candidates as grassroots advisers is continued.

I hope the PA will stick to its aims of bringing people together based on national rather than partisan interest. Advisers to grassroots organisations should be elected MPs because they have the mandate of the residents to govern their constituencies.

**** Farewell, Singapore. <http://www.ankurb.info/2011/08/30/farewell-singapore/>
Ankur Banerjee, Needlessly|Messianic

So I don’t agree with restrictions in freedom of speech in Singapore. I don’t agree when Singaporean youth say, as they did during elections, “We should not be pointing flaws in what PAP has done because they have made Singapore what it is today” – for elections should be fought on what a party stands for now, and not what it did ten years ago. I don’t agree with strong-arm tactics used to restrict opposition parties from campaigning effectively. And yet, I have much respect for how Singapore’s politicians are logically and rationally leading public spending to ensure its long-term economic growth in the 21st century. I am even proud that it is doing all this ethically and while caring for basic human rights, unlike other places like Dubai which just seems to be throwing cash at trying to solve its future.

**** A Lapse Not Befitting <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/08/a-lapse-not-befitting/>
Howard Lee, The Online Citizen

Sadly, this initial careless decision has routed PA into a corner, such that it can only take two steps to maintain the public service’s position as a defender of the people’s interests. Neither is favourable to PA.

**** Only Half A Loaf <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2011/08/only-half-loaf.html>
Singapore Notes

If pecuniary consideration is an impediment to putting up a robust defence, the lack of a level playing field must surely be more daunting.