[MyAppleMenu] Aug 10, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Aug 10 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** The Growing User And The Perennial Beginner <http://ignorethecode.net/blog/2011/08/09/the_growing_user_and_the_perennial_beginner/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+IgnoreTheCode+%28ignore+the+code%29>
Lukas Mathis, Ignore The Code

How you balance simplicity and depth depends on who you want your audience to be.

**** Todo For Mac Manages And Syncs Your Tasks <http://www.macworld.com/article/161621/2011/08/todo_for_mac_manages_and_syncs_your_tasks.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

If you manage complex projects, a program such as OmniFocus is probably a better, though more expensive, choice—Todo’s limitations make it impractical for complex projects. But if your needs are somewhere in between complex project management and simple lists, Todo is a fine program. Its limitations won’t affect most users, though I’d like to see better documentation and font and style options.

**** Tweet Marker Shows Twitter Client Developers Still Innovating <http://www.macworld.com/article/161655/2011/08/tweet_marker_shows_twitter_client_developers_still_innovating.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Moren, Macworld

**** Ars Reviews The 2011 Mac Mini As An HTPC <http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2011/08/ars-reviews-the-2011-mac-mini.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Ryan Paul, Ars Technica

In short, the new Mac mini is a strong update that brings a lot more credibility to Apple's entry-level Mac. The decent performance, compact form factor, and minimal energy consumption add up to make the mini a winner.

**** Coders Choosing Mac OS Over Linux Environment <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13846_3-20090145-62/coders-choosing-mac-os-over-linux-environment/?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
Dave Rosenberg, CNET

Apple's Mac operating system has surpassed Linux in popularity as a development environment in North America, according to an Evans Data survey.

**** Back Up Your iTunes Media Files <http://www.macworld.com/article/139138/2011/08/back_up_media.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

**** Limit Your Kids' Internet Access <http://www.macworld.com/article/161672/2011/08/limit_internet_access.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** Hands-on With Kindle Cloud Reader: Can It Replace A Native iPad App? <http://arstechnica.com/media/news/2011/08/hands-on-with-kindle-cloud-reader-an-ipad-app-replacement.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

Apart from the inclusion of the built-in Kindle Store, users have little reason to use Cloud Reader on a smartphone or a tablet over a native app. The store is the Web app's major highlight, and I can see people using Cloud Reader to buy content more than actually reading the content there. For reading, I still prefer either the native iPad app or the Kindle hardware itself, but the availability of the Web app does make it easy to read from anywhere. I don't believe Amazon will ditch its apps for iOS or Android, either—users like options, after all, and the experience is a bit more smooth—but Amazon has clearly seen the benefits of using the Web to get around app store rules.

**** Gizmodo Cleared As Charges Finally Brought In Lost Prototype iPhone 4 Case <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/10/gizmodo-cleared-as-charges-finally-brought-in-lost-prototype-iphone-4-case/>
Eric Slivka, MacRumors

**** Hands On With Lion Recovery Disk Assistant <http://www.macworld.com/article/161664/2011/08/hands_on_with_lion_recovery_disk_assistant.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

**** Apple Releases Migration Assistant Update For Mac OS X Leopard <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/10/apple-releases-migration-assistant-update-for-mac-os-x-leopard/>
Eric Slivka, MacRumors

**** New Options For Starbucks Wi-Fi Squatters <http://www.technologyreview.com/business/38176/>
Erica Naone, Technology Review

A new crop of apps helps a mobile workforce find office space anywhere, anytime.

**** All The Time In The World By EL Doctorow: Review <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/8681530/All-the-Time-in-theWorld-by-EL-Doctorow-review.html>
Tim Martin, The Telegraph

The stories in All the Time in the World, his latest volume, seem to confirm that Doctorow works best not only in the long form, but when he has a definite historical mould into which to pour his inspiration.

**** ‘Pass The Ketchup’ Could Bring Surprises <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/10/dining/building-respect-for-ketchup.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Julia Moskin, New York Times

The chef José Andrés says that it’s time for America to face a hard truth, one that all of Alice Waters’s goat cheese salads and Thomas Keller’s fried chicken cannot change. “Everyone else in the world still thinks of American food as ketchup,” said Mr. Andrés, who was born in Spain but has been living and cooking in Washington for 20 years.

Now he is on a quest for redemption. He (and a few other chefs and entrepreneurs) are challenging the hegemony of the red, corn-syrup-sweetened product. “It is time to embrace and celebrate ketchup, not be ashamed of it,” he said.

**** Khaw Boon Wan Espousing Self-Righteous PAP Leadership <http://mollymeek.wordpress.com/2011/08/09/khaw-boon-wan-espousing-self-righteous-pap-leadership/>
Molitics

It seems that our political leaders are more interested in telling us what great leaders they are than in leading well. Admittedly, this is itself very rational because so long as the people believe that they are led by the best leaders in the world, they will be good and grateful citizens despite their misery. They will know that they only have their lack of prudence and their sheer incompetence to blame when they have financial problems. What else should matter? Successful propaganda counts more than substance.

**** Let’s Play: Shanmugam’s Clarifications On The Elected Presidency <http://mollymeek.wordpress.com/2011/08/10/lets-play-shanmugams-clarifications-on-the-elected-presidency/>
Molitics

**** S’pore’s Private Education In A Tizzy <http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/2011/08/10/spores-private-education-in-a-tizzy/>
Maxwell Coopers, Free Malaysia Today

Having regulations are just a single aspect of tackling the private education “mess”. How to promote quality education was perhaps the least of priorities as it now seems and puzzlingly hardly mentioned in parliamentary deliberations.

The other is having enough of those inspectors and assessors to vet schools and award all those deserving of licences to be granted their desserts.

Alas, none seems to be coming to pass.

**** Tan Kin Lian Defends Record At NTUC Income <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_700329.html>
Andrea Ong, Straits Times

In a post on his blog, Mr Tan said he could have run Income in a 'more professional way', which he equated with spending more on things like advertising, hiring management consultants, first-class air travel and corporate image. But he chose instead to 'be frugal' and keep expenses low, so that Income could give a better return to its policy holders.

**** Losing Focus On Social Obligations <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2011/08/losing-focus-on-social-obligations.html>
Singapore Notes

**** PE: President Is Not Separate Power Centre, Says Dr Tony Tan <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1146160/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Presidential hopeful and former deputy prime minister Dr Tony Tan said candidates in the Presidential Election on August 27 should run for the office that exists, not for the one they wish to have.

**** Tiger Airways Can Fly Again <http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/8/10/business/20110810141655&sec=business>
Bernama

Singapore-owned Tiger Airways Australia has been cleared to resume flights, about six weeks after it was grounded by the air safety regulator.

**** Singapore Q2 Contraction Stokes Recession Risk: Analysts <http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/international-business/singapore-q2-contraction-stokes-recession-risk-analysts/articleshow/9552041.cms>
The Economic Times

Economists said the drop raised the prospect of a second technical recession in three years for export-dependent Singapore, the first Asian economy to suffer negative growth during the last global downturn.

**** Transport Minister’s Logic <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/08/transport-ministers-logic/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

I fail to understand the Minister’s logic as introducing more transport operators does not mean that the existing two operators will be released from their current obligations under the USO – universal service obligations – to run buses on non-profitable routes, so that there is a certain amount of cross subsidy that is taking place from the profitable routes to the non-profitable routes.

**** How Much Of The Reserves Has Been Really Used? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/08/how-much-of-the-reserves-has-been-really-used/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

**** Shanmugam And His Not-so-veiled Threats <http://thesatayclub.net/2011/08/shanmugam-and-his-not-so-veiled-threats/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=shanmugam-and-his-not-so-veiled-threats>
Tanya Wei, The Satay Club

However, Mr Shanmugam’s remarks could potentially be a cause for concern. It might mean that the PAP will adopt an antagonistic approach towards any President who is not of its choosing – meaning that it will seek to stonewall and frustrate all of the candidates, if they are elected, with the exception of Dr Tony Tan.

**** The Stop Cooking Indian Curry Story Upsets Me <http://singaporeactually.com/2011/08/10/the-indian-curry-story-annoys-me/>
Singapore Actually

**** Cooling-Off Day "Breaches" Come To A Close <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1146254/1/.html>
Alvina Soh, Channel NewsAsia

Police will take no further action against newly-elected Member of Parliament (MP) for Marine Parade Group Representation Constituency (GRC) Tin Pei Ling and National Solidarity Party (NSP) member Nicole Seah.

**** Is Singapore The New London For Australians? <http://news.efinancialcareers.com.au/newsandviews_item/newsItemId-33900>
Simon Mortlock, eFinancialCareers

**** Curry Is A Singapore Flavour <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110811-0000027/Curry-is-a-Singapore-flavour>
Frances Ong Hock Lin, Today

Maybe it is timely for us to remember that just as we are given freedom to express our culture and religious customs, we have to co-exist in our common space, such as the air we breathe.

**** How Dare You, Penny? <http://feedmetothefish.blogspot.com/2011/08/how-dare-you-penny.html>
Feed Me To The Fish

I pity the constituents in Punggol/Pasir Ris GRC. They have an arrogant male MP who did not serve NS at all and a lady MP who played with her phone when the National Anthem was sung on the National Day of 2011.

**** MP Low Apologises For NDP Phone Incident <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110811-0000334/MP-Low-apologises-for-NDP-phone-incident>
Today

**** Cash-Over-Valuation Is Here To Stay, Says Minister Khaw <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110811-0000360/Cash-Over-Valuation-is-here-to-stay,-says-Minister-Khaw>
Today

Responding to netizens on his Facebook page on National Day, Mr Khaw said abolishing COV and relying on a professional valuer to set the price of resale flats was tried "years ago". "COV then went underground as 'under counter cash payment'," he wrote.

**** Mediators Are A Neutral Third Party <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110811-0000303/Mediators-are-a-neutral-third-party>
Gloria Lim, Ministry Of Law, Today

The summary of Case 1, in the sidebar to the article, stated that community mediator Marcellina Giam "got the Indian family to agree to cook curry only when the Chinese family was not home". We have checked with Madam Giam and this is inaccurate.

The solution to the dispute was proposed by one of the parties and accepted by the other. Mdm Giam did not propose the solution, neither did she impose it on the parties.