[MyAppleMenu] Aug 8, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Aug 8 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Review: Mac Mini 2011 <http://www.electronista.com/reviews/mac-mini-2011.html>
Sanjiv Sathiah, Electronista

Our view is based mostly on the addition of the discrete graphics card in the 2.5GHz edition, which turns it into more of a 'grown up' system that can handle more than just the basics. The Mac mini is a well-built and distinctive system, and a good gateway into the Mac universe if you're a typical Windows user. The only real hitch is that it isn't meant for everyone.

**** Apple Unveils $999 Education-only iMac <http://www.macworld.com/article/161611/2011/08/apple_unveils_999_education_only_imac.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

Apple on Monday unveiled a new, $999 “education only” 21.5-inch iMac. The new iMac—which is available only to authorized education purchasers, not educational customers buying through Apple's public-facing education store, is cheaper but less powerful than the $1200 base 21.5-inch iMac offered to all consumers.

**** Hype 1.0.3 Lets You Create HTML 5 Animations Without Coding <http://www.macworld.com/article/161334/2011/08/hype103.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Adam Berenstain, Macworld

With Tumult’s Hype 1.0.3, you can create interactive HTML 5 animations without typing a single line of code. It’s simple enough to use that even novices will get great-looking results quickly, although there’s room for improvement. Limited design tools and an inflexible interface can interfere with building complex projects.

**** Apple MacBook Air - Excellent Performance And Portability <http://www.arnnet.com.au/article/396367/review_apple_macbook_air_-_excellent_performance_portability/#closeme>
Ross Catanzariti, ARN

Apple's latest MacBook Air may look virtually identical to the previous model, but it's under the hood that most of its improvements lie. Faster Intel Core i5 and optional Core i7 processors gives Apple's ultra portable notebook a huge performance boost. The Air is still an expensive proposition on the whole, but the extra grunt combined with a thin and light design, fast, flash-based storage, and excellent battery life make it a worthy option for road warriors.

**** When Knowledge Isn’t Written, Does It Still Count? <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/08/business/media/a-push-to-redefine-knowledge-at-wikipedia.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Noam Cohen, New York Times

Some critics of Wikipedia believe that the whole Western tradition of footnotes and sourced articles needs to be rethought if Wikipedia is going to continue to gather converts beyond its current borders. And that, in turn, invites an entirely new debate about what constitutes knowledge in different parts of the world and how a Western institution like Wikipedia can capitalize on it.

**** Storytelling: Digital Technology Allows Us To Tell Tales In Innovative New Ways <http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/aug/07/digital-media-storytelling-internet>
Aleks Krotoski, The Guardian

But the tools they use to tell tales are evolving, becoming more modular and tailored, more participatory and more engaging than just the printed word or the moving image. The new form of storytelling that's coming from a digitally enabled cabal moves beyond reinterpreting a text for radio or screen.

**** Brute Force Or Intelligence? The Slow Rise Of Computer Chess <http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/08/force-versus-heuristics-the-contentious-rise-of-computer-chess.ars>
Matthew Lasar, Ars Technica

But what's most fascinating about "Mastering the Game," the Computer History Museum's computer chess exhibit, is that it frames the rise of the automated chess playing as a debate between two philosophies of computing. One emphasized the "brute force" approach, taking advantage of algorithmic power offered by ever more powerful processors available to programmers after the Second World War. The other has foregrounded the importance of teaching chess computers to select strategies and even to learn from experience—in other words, to play more like humans.

**** Indonesia Looks To Tighten Rules On Bank Ownership <http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14437037>
Karishma Vaswani, BBC

"When we want to open our banks in Malaysia or Singapore, we aren't given such easy access to those markets," says politician Maruarar Sirait.

"Why should Indonesia be the only country in [the region] with such a relaxed attitude to the banking sector? It's our citizens' money that's at stake here, after all. We must protect them."

**** Why Nature Reserve Carparks Are Closed At Night <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_699686.html>
Wong Tuan Wah, National Parks Board, Straits Times

Night visitorship to the nature reserves can negatively impact the forest and its wildlife, especially the nocturnal animals. We do not provide night lighting in the nature reserves and abutting nature parks. For safety reasons, the public is strongly discouraged from visiting at night.

**** Elites <http://coollylogical.wordpress.com/2011/08/07/elites/>
Sweet Insanity

But the observation is that for the Elites, whenever anyone question their credentials, question their capabilities, they will never back down. They will defend their position vigorously, no matter how flimsy their defense is, no matter how shaky the evidence is. They will draw on everything they have within them. Past achievements, past glory, past certifications. Everything. To Win.

**** Bringing The Gavel Down On Workers Party I <http://akikonomu.blogspot.com/2011/08/bringing-gavel-down-on-workers-party-i.html>
Illusio

If there's a deadline that the town council can't meet, the most obvious thing to do is to retain the old managing agent temporarily for a year - not replacing the incumbent with a new managing agent!

**** Lee Kuan Yew – Giant Of A Repressive Decade <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/08/lee-kuan-yew-giant-of-a-repressive-decade/>
Siew Kum Hong, The Online Citizen

These events from the 1980s, followed by the defamation suits in the 1990s and criminal prosecution of the civil disobedience activists in the 2000s, did much to silence dissent and instill the much-discussed climate of fear in Singapore. It is only this year, that this climate of fear has been reduced, if not dissipated.

Mr Lee was a driving force, if not the main player in the government, in all of these events. So as I looked back at the 1980s, I could not help but think of Mr Lee. He was truly a giant in Singapore’s history. Sadly, he was also the dominant figure in this repressive decade.

**** Paulson Control Over Hotels Affirmed <http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/e6ea91d8-c0f3-11e0-b8c2-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1UP5ZsOXS>
Financial Times

Paulson & Co, the US hedge fund, has won a US court battle with the Government of Singapore Investment Corp over control of a group of luxury hotels that brings it closer to making potential windfall profits.

**** The Things People Say <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2011/08/things-people-say.html>
Singapore Notes

The irony of of the wordplay in session is that Shanmugam actually proffered this advice to the candidates, "Just make sure that what you say to the people is consistent ... Don't say things you can't do." To which we may add the Clintonesque repartee, "Define consistent".

**** Suspend Transport Hike, Watch And Wait Now <http://newasiarepublic.com/?p=31407>
Chan Jia Hui, New Asia Republic

Now with the latest developments in Europe and US, the possibility of a double dip recession is on the cards. The decision to approve the hike, which will kick in from October came too soon.

**** MOE Clarifies Re-hiring Policy <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1145775/1/.html>
Ambiga Raju, Channel NewsAsia

The Ministry of Education (MOE) said only teachers who were Heads of Department (HOD) who give up managerial responsibilities to become classroom teachers will be offered reduced salaries of up to 30 per cent when re-hired at age 62.

Most others would see an 18 per cent cut in salaries, with some not even having to face a reduction.

**** Please Sir, Can You Not Cook Curry Sir? <http://speakspokewritewrote.wordpress.com/2011/08/08/please-sir-can-you-not-cook-curry-sir/>
SpeakSpokeWriteWrote

By coming up with this sort of solution, CMC is almost sending a message that we need to be gracious hosts and be mindful of our guests. Our guests on the other hand, have every right to complain against us. Why not advice the PRC family about culture and integration instead?

**** The Danger In Clan Endorsement Of Presidential Candidates <http://andrewlohhp.wordpress.com/2011/08/08/the-danger-in-clan-endorsement-of-presidential-candidates/>
Andrew Loh

The People’s Action Party government has always abhorred politics along racial, ethnic or religious lines. Why then is it allowing the Tan federation to lend its weight to Dr Tan in such a fashion?

**** Fare Hike Was Fair, Balanced: Transport Minister Lui <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110808-0000583/Fare-hike-was-fair,-balanced--Transport-Minister-Lui>
Today

"The PTC had a difficult task in balancing between the needs and interests of the different groups," Mr Lui said.

"I was particularly pleased that the concession for the senior citizens has been extended to the whole day," he added, saying that residents "both young and old" he had spoken to since the fare revision had highlighted this point as well.

**** PE: Dr Tan Cheng Bock Rebuts Law Minister On Elected Presidency <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1145798/1/.html>
Ambiga Raju, Channel NewsAsia

In a press statement on Monday, Dr Tan said the President would have been deemed to have the necessary qualities by the Presidential Election Committee which issues the Certificate of Eligibility. And this would have been further endorsed by the people of Singapore who vote for him.

Dr Tan asked if Mr Shanmugam was questioning the decision of the Committee and the voters.

**** Singapore Revises 2011 Growth Forecast To 5-6% <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1145800/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

In his annual televised National Day message on Monday, Mr Lee said gross domestic product is now forecast to expand 5-6 percent, slightly down from the original projection of 5-7 percent.

**** The Subtleness Of Mr Goh Chok Tong <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/08/the-subtleness-of-mr-goh-chok-tong/>
Ravi Philemon, The Online Citizen

His subtle messages of enhancements and inclusivity which were lost to many in that time period, were however so profound that they continue to impact the lives of many Singaporeans even today.