[MyAppleMenu] Sep 22, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Sep 22 18:59:01 EDT 2010

**** Apple Sues 'HyperMac' Accessory Maker Over MagSafe, iPod Cables <http://feeds.appleinsider.com/click.phdo?i=1b107f8a4d338b2ecce459ad1e1abe6e>
AppleInsider

**** Google Earth Updated For iPhone 4 Retina Display, Includes Ocean Topography <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/09/21/google-earth-updated-for-iphone-4-retina-display-includes-ocean/>
Josh Helfferich, TUAW

**** Delete iPad Documents In iTunes <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=a64ae160e65e5d9f7ebbb3757f211d8c>
Rick Broida, PC World

Note to Apple: Hellooooo? Can we get a Delete button, please?

**** Steve Jobs: The Man Who Makes Apple Tick <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/steve-jobs/8016635/Steve-Jobs-The-man-who-makes-Apple-tick.html>
Claudine Beaumont, Telegraph

Messianic, evangelistic and utterly devoted to the art of making beautiful products that ‘just work’ – it’s no wonder Apple’s founder and chief executive is seen as a demi-god in some technology circles.

**** Is Apple Tuning Out Audiophiles? <http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/music/la-fi-hiltzik-20100921,0,1395904.column>
Michael Hiltzik, Los Angeles Times

By failing to upgrade the iPod Classic, the tech giant seems to have left in the lurch the customers who made the music player a huge success.

**** A Love-hate Relationship With iPad And iOS <http://blogs.computerworld.com/17004/a_love_hate_relationship_with_ipad_and_ios?source=rss_blogs>
Scot Finnie, Computerworld

I'm just not that jazzed about iOS. It's fine on the iPhone because the tiny screen of the iPhone limits you anyway. The problem is, with only a little bit of invention, I can easily imagine the iPad being my full-fledged travel machine -- no notebook needed. But Apple has, it seems, intentionally hobbled the iPad. There are so many things it can't do.

**** Apple's MagSafe Lawsuit Tests Limits Of First-sale Doctrine <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/09/apples-magsafe-lawsuit-tests-limits-of-first-sale-doctrine.ars>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

Sanho says it's reusing Apple's own connectors in the sale of its own products, and the same goes for the 30-pin iPad connector. If that is in fact the case, Apple may find itself butting up against the patent version of the first sale doctrine (commonly called the "exhaustion doctrine"), which limits the patent owner's control over patented items after it has been sold the first time.

**** Apple Opens Metrocentre, Gateshead Retail Store ... <http://www.macworld.co.uk/business/news/index.cfm?newsid=3240510&pagtype=allchandate>
Nick Spence, MacWorld UK

Apple will open a new store on Saturday 25 September 2010 at the Metrocentre, Gateshead at 10am. Plenty of free t-shirts and high-fives from staff should help ensure the opening is a success.

**** Apple And Facebook Talked For More Than A Year -- Then Apple Launched Ping Without Facebook's Help <http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-facebook-ping-2010-9>
Dan Frommer, Business Insider

Before Apple launched Ping, its iTunes team was in talks with Facebook for 18 months or more, a source with knowledge of the talks tells us.

While we don't know the details of their discussions, it makes sense that Apple may have wanted to build Ping as a music-tracking and sales service on top of Facebook's social graph. This could have allowed Apple to get what it wanted out of the relationship -- more iTunes and iPod sales -- without having to build a social network from scratch.

**** Apple's Game Center Playing Nice With Others <http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-20017176-248.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
Josh Lowensohn, CNET

One question that was raised almost immediately when Apple announced Game Center, the company's first-party social gaming service, in April was what would happen to existing social game networks on the platform? The early answer, surprisingly, is comfortable cohabitation.

**** FileMaker Go Update Adds PDF Creation, Photo Import <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/09/22/filemaker-go-update-adds-pdf-creation-photo-import/>
Michael Rose, TUAW

The latest revision to FileMaker's two mobile database apps, FileMaker Go 1.1 for iPhone and for iPad (two separate products), gives the Go team a few vital new features for users on the move.

**** Adobe: Can It Wean Itself Off The Creative Suite Dependence? <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/adobe-can-it-wean-itself-off-the-creative-suite-dependence/39473>
Larry Dignan, ZDNet

Can Adobe go from being a company mostly about the Creative Suite to one focused on enterprise collaboration, a potential growth driver?

**** N.J. Schools Explore Using Ipads As Teaching Devices <http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/09/nj_schools_explore_using_ipads.html>
Tomas Dinges, Star-Ledger

Other Baroque art history high school classes may open with a quiz on famous paintings and artists of the era. But Alex Curtis, headmaster at the Morristown-Beard School, started one recent lesson with a seemingly puzzling question: "Have you got that app yet?"

**** How Business Is Putting The iPhone To Work <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=d99f4c3bb611597dd0b28e3b618d471a>
Joel Mathis, Macworld

Not so long ago, the personalities of the market’s dominant smartphones were clearly drawn: The iPhone, fun and full of flash, was for consumer uses, while Research in Motion’s BlackBerry, sober and spartan, dominated the professional market. But the line between work and play has grown blurry, leaving the iPhone—and a new competitor, Google’s Android—to challenge Research In Motion (RIM)’s long dominance in businesses and among professionals.

**** The Idea Of A University <http://spectator.org/archives/2010/09/17/the-idea-of-a-university>
Roger Scruton, The American Spectator

A reader of Cardinal Newman's book today is likely to agree that the university, as he describes it, would be an institution of irreplaceable value. Newman's university was to be an integral part of the social order. It was to set an example and to help young men to live up to it. It was not the antagonist but the completion of ordinary life, and the great rewards that it offered were to be purchased by social discipline. Newman's university was to be eminently respectable: critical of society only because critical of itself.

**** Time-Travel In A Minor Universe <http://moreintelligentlife.com/blog/jeremy-axelrod/time-travel-minor-universe-31>
Jeremy Axelrod , Intelligent Life

Charles Yu’s debut novel, "How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe", is a brainy reverie of sexbots, rayguns, time travel and Buddhist zombie mothers.

**** I Boycott Singapore <http://teycindy.com/2010/09/boycott-singapore/>
You're Entering Cin City

**** Najib And Hsien Loong: Deal Time <http://dlzj.wordpress.com/2010/09/21/najib-and-hsien-loong-deal-time/>
Icarus Flew Too High

**** Singapore’s Press: A Balancing Act, Which Harmlessly Tilts To One Side <http://thispenismine.wordpress.com/2010/09/22/2209201/>
This Is My Pen

**** Malaysia-Singapore Undersea Tunnel An Option, Says Transport Minister <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v5/newsindex.php?id=529271>
Bernama

An undersea tunnel between Malaysia and Singapore is an option being considered by both countries, transport minister Datuk Seri Kong Cho Ha said Tuesday.

He said the tunnel was being considered to realise the rapid transit system (RTS) between Johor Baharu and Woodlands in Singapore as agreed upon by the two countries at their meeting in May.

**** Minimum Wage, Maximum Impact <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_581205.html>
Chan Chee Leong, Straits Times

Wages determined by "market forces", which later need supplementing from Workfare, send the message that my job is undeserving of a pay required for basic survival. Will this message erode work ethics? Very likely.

**** Not A Moral Calamity... <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_581202.html>
Low Zi Ping, Straits Times

hese days, many children turn to the Internet a lot, utilising networking, gaming and video-sharing sites. Even if R21 content is not made available in the heartland, users can still access this content through Internet file-sharing networks and other avenues.

**** A Sensible Democracy <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_581201.html>
Jolly Wee, Straits Times

To my fellow Singaporeans, let's continue to enjoy the "sensible" democracy we have in this country and reject the kinds that could do us in as a nation.

Afraid to do what is right, that will do us in.

**** What Makes A Democracy <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_581399.html>
Gerald Giam, Straits Times

There is more to democracy than government-led consultation exercises. A democracy not only ensures that citizens are consulted on policies, but gives citizens real bargaining power to affect government decisions.

**** Singapore Pte Ltd <http://home.wangjianshuo.com/archives/20100921_singapore_pte_ltd.htm>
Jian Shuo Wang

Obviously, Singapore has a clear strategy to attract and keep the world's best talents. How about China?

**** Drama Box Singapore And A Question Of Censorship On Its 20Th Anniversary <http://www.thebachelorgirl.com/2010/4443/drama-box-singapore-and-a-question-of-censorship-on-its-20th-anniversary/>
TheBachelorGirl.com

The allegation of censorship from the government agency of not allowing three new works from Drama Box to be performed in the open may not necessarily be without merit.

**** Singapore Leader Backs Yuan's Rise <http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&fd=R&usg=AFQjCNG5f7a_Aqv1SgJ8N6A0sdSoEp2hDQ&url=http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704129204575505552259447656.html>
Patrick Barta, Wall Street Journal

Singapore prime minister Lee Hsien Loong said a faster appreciation of China's currency would be "helpful" for the region, but cautioned that further pressure from foreign governments might make it harder for Beijing to let the yuan rise.

**** Can Minimum Wage System Work In Singapore? <http://www.transitioning.org/2010/09/22/can-minimum-wage-system-work-in-singapore/>
Gilbert Goh, Transitioning.org

Our country may also be the only few in the world that relies almost entirely on foreigners to run its construction and hospitality sectors due to the cost factor. I have yet to also see how cheaper labour in the construction sector is being translated into affordable housing for the country.

**** Govt To Form Panel To Discuss Rapid Transit System With Singapore <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2010/9/22/nation/7077431&sec=nation>
Christina Tan And P. Aruna , The Star

Transport minister Datuk Seri Kong Cho Ha said Malaysia and Singapore had reached a bilateral agreement to jointly develop the light rail system during a meeting between prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak and his Singapore counterpart Lee Hsien Long.

He said the 1.5km rail system connecting Johor Baru and Woodlands was expected to be completed by 2018 as part of efforts to “increase connectivity” between the two countries.

**** KL-S'pore High-speed Rail Link Project May Come Back <http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2010/9/22/business/7079354&sec=business>
Risen Jayaseelan , The Star

Among the larger projects that could come about as a result of the Economic Transformation Programme (ETP) are the building of the mass rapid transit (MRT) system and the once-shelved high-speed rail between Kuala Lumpur and Singapore.

**** Consider Implementing Minimum-Wage Policy <http://news.asiaone.com/News/Mailbox/Story/A1Story20100922-238414.html>
Huang Shoou Chyuan, My Paper

I hope the authorities will consider implementing a minimum-wage policy. Otherwise, Singapore's gross-domestic-product growth rates would just be meaningless numbers to our urban poor, who are beginning to think that the world is passing them by and that they have become strangers in their own land.

**** 八成摊主选择休息或退休 大巴窑8巷不建临时巴刹了 <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp100922_005.shtml>
刘丽仪, 联合早报

本地唯一位于反对党选区内的湿巴刹——大巴窑8巷小贩中心兼巴刹,订于11月间翻新,但超过八成摊主基于临时巴刹的兴建费太高以及地点不佳,不愿付费兴建临时巴刹,宁愿选择休息或退休,使临时巴刹兴建计划告吹。

**** Future Use Of Malayan Railway Land Parcels To Be Reviewed Under URA Concept Plan <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1082746/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

Future use of the three land parcels of Malayan Railway land in Tanjong Pagar, Kranji and Woodlands and three other parcels in Bukit Timah will be reviewed under the Urban Redevelopment Authority Concept Plan and Master Plan exercises, said the Ministry of National Development (MND).

**** Cannot Cite Unfair Prosecution <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_581778.html>
Khushwant Singh, Straits Times

Organic vegetable farm Bollywood Veggies failed to convince a district court on Wednesday that it should decide on whether the farm had been unfairly prosecuted by the Building Control Authority (BCA).

**** Don't Pop The Champagne Bottle Yet <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2010/09/dont-pop-champagne-bottle-yet.html>
Singapore Notes

What is billed as the "Final chapter in a long arrangement" is far from concluded. The hard driving Malaysian negotiating team is steadfastly refusing to pay the development charge, an outlay which Singapore developers are so used to accepting without the slightest murmur of protest.