[MyAppleMenu] Nov 28, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Nov 28 18:59:00 EST 2010

**** Audio Tool WireTap Anywhere Hits V2.0 <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/11/27/ambrosia-software-audio-tool-wiretap-anywhere-hits-v2-0/>
David Quilty, TUAW

Ambrosia Software has released WireTap Anywhere 2.0, an upgrade to the company's professional audio routing and mixing software. Following up on the 2008 release of version 1.0, this upgrade claims that "hardwired is out; softwired is in" and allows users to capture, map, and independently adjust audio channels from any combo of applications or input devices and route it to the audio processor application of your choice.

**** Why Does Apple Offer Free Engraving? <http://elidourado.com/blog/free-engraving/>
Eli Dourado

The real reason Apple offers free engraving is to weaken the secondary market.

**** 5 Cloud-Oriented Operating Systems Available Now <http://www.readwriteweb.com/cloud/2010/11/5-cloud-operating-systems.php?utm_source=feedburner>
Klint Finley, ReadWriteWeb

**** Zero-sum World: Politics, Power And Prosperity After The Crash By Gideon Rachman – Review <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/nov/28/zero-sum-world-rachman-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
John Kampfner, Guardian

More is surely required to revive an economic and political model whose allure has waned around the world. That said, Rachman has produced a commendable potted guide to the travails of the post-cold war world.

**** How I Got Lost In Translation And Found My True Calling <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/nov/28/maureen-freely-translation-orhan-pamuk?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Maureen Freely, Guardian

We all work for the dozen or so publishers which remain committed to fiction in translation even as the walls of fortress English grow and grow. If the art of literary translation continues to thrive in this country, it will be thanks to them, and also to the British Centre for Literary Translation, which is training the new generation, and the Translators Association, which speaks up for us when we're exploited, and the Independent foreign fiction prize, whose organisers work hard to take our best efforts to a larger audience.

Why do any of us bother, when the odds are so against us? Because it's fun to discover new books and new writers. It's gratifying to see at least some of them do well. For me, it makes a welcome change from my old life, when I mainly looked after number one, wasting acres of times fretting about bylines and book sales and column inches. Somehow, this feels more romantic and far more worthwhile.

**** Property Cooling Measures Taking Effect? <http://sg.yfittopostblog.com/2010/11/28/property-cooling-measures-taking-effect/>
Alicia Wong, Yahoo!

Public housing prices have started to fall since the property cooling measures were introduced in end-August this year – a sign that the measures have taken effect, according to national development minister Mah Bow Tan.

“I would say the cooling measures have started to take effect. But the overall impact is still too early to tell. I think we’ll wait a few months more,” he said.

**** What Does "Freak Election Results" Mean? <http://singaporealternatives.blogspot.com/2010/11/what-does-freak-election-results-mean.html>
Goh Meng Seng, Singapore Alternatives