[MyAppleMenu] Nov 13, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Nov 13 18:59:00 EST 2010

**** Apple: Their Tablet Computer History <http://liquidpubs.com/blog/2010/11/08/apple-their-tablet-computer-history/>
Liquidpubs

Now that Apple has released the market-leading iPad, with a barrage of other tablet computers and dedicated eReaders flooding the market, it’s worthwhile to look back and see where all of this came from. The focus will be on Apple, and their history with tablet computers.

Apple’s history with tablet computers dates back to at least 1979. A good stock of the following pictures and associated captions/background information are themselves derived from the book, AppleDesign, The Work of the Apple Industrial Design Group, by Paul Kunkel/Photos by Rick English (1997).

**** The Day Steve Jobs Dissed Me In A Keynote <http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/11/steve-jobs-dissed-me/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wired%2Findex+%28Wired%3A+Index+3+%28Top+Stories+2%29%29>
Derek Sivers, Wired

Whatever. Fucking Apple.

**** Apple Releases Printer Driver Updates For Mac OS X <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/11/12/apple_releases_printer_driver_updates_for_mac_os_x.html>
Daniel Eran Dilger, AppleInsider

The update package installs the latest printer, fax and scanner drivers specific to the devices the user has installed. The driver update does not appear unless the 10.6.5 update has been applied.

**** A First Look At Apple's iPad With iOS 4 <http://www.fastcompany.com/1702285/ipad-ios-4-first-look>
Chris Taylor, Fast Company

You know that old wives' tale about how we only use 10% of our brain's potential? It isn't true, but up until now, I felt like I was using my iPad at 10% of its potential. A new software update goes a long way towards increasing that number.

**** The Hazel Effect <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/11/garden/11RickMoody.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Rick Moody, New York Times

Still, for me this entire question — the question of home — has shifted dramatically in the last year and a half for a simple and felicitous reason: the birth of my daughter, Hazel.

**** After Visiting Hours <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/nov/13/hilary-mantel-operation-hospital?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Hilary Mantel, Guardian

Three or four nights after surgery – when, in the words of the staff, I have "mobilised" – I come out of the bathroom and spot a circus strongman squatting on my bed. He sees me, too; from beneath his shaggy brow he rolls a liquid eye. Brown-skinned, naked except for the tattered hide of some endangered species, he is bouncing on his heels and smoking furiously without taking the cigarette from his lips: puff, bounce, puff, bounce. What rubbish, I think: actually shouting at myself, but silently. This is a nonsmoking hospital. It is impossible this man would be allowed in, to behave as he does. Therefore he's not real, and if he's not real I can take his space. As I get into bed beside him, the strongman vanishes. I pick up my diary and record him: was there, isn't any more.

**** The Interrogative Mood: A Novel? By Padgett Powell – Review <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/nov/13/interrogative-mood-padgett-powell-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Steven Poole, Guardian

Is my review of a novel composed entirely of questions itself going to be composed entirely of questions? What do you think? What is this novel composed entirely of questions about? Is it "about" anything? How are we to imagine the scenario? Do certain lines and section-breaks in the novel, one coming after the question "Do you have anything you'd like to say?" imply unheard answers by another character? If we assume the questioner is speaking his questions out loud, what are we to make of the moment when he says he was writing one? Is this interrogation taking place in a military base, or a padded cell, or in Purgatory? Who are the other people present who never speak either but are implied exactly once? Or is this all in the questioner's head? And if so, how did we get inside his head? How can we get out?

**** The Saturday Poem For Remembrance Day: "Bugle" <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/nov/13/saturday-poem-bugle-ivor-gurney?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Ivor Gurney, Guardian

**** A History Of The World In 100 Objects By Neil MacGregor – Review <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/nov/13/history-world-hundred-objects-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Mary Beard, Guardian

Brilliant on radio, Neil MacGregor's 100 objects also make a marvellous book.

**** The Mind Of A Disease <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/14/books/review/Weiner-t.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Jonathan Weiner, New York Times

Many doctors become storytellers too, and Mukherjee has undertaken one of the most extraordinary stories in medicine: a history of cancer, which will kill about 600,000 Americans by the end of this year, and more than seven million people around the planet. He frames it as a biography, “an attempt to enter the mind of this immortal illness, to understand its personality, to demystify its behavior.” It is an epic story that he seems compelled to tell, the way a passionate young priest might attempt a biography of Satan.

**** Back To The City <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/14/books/review/Salvatore-t.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Joseph Salvatore, New York Times

In 1974, Armistead Maupin, then a young journalist, covered a story on a Safeway supermarket in San Francisco that had become a popular pickup spot. Local customers, gay and straight, were not, as it turns out, shopping only for wheat bread and alfalfa sprouts, nor were they willing to talk to a reporter. Undaunted, Maupin created his own spokeswoman: a fictional young Midwesterner named Mary Ann Singleton.

**** The Lost Art Of Argument <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703514904575602383410188868.html?mod=WSJ_Books_LS_Books_5>
Lee Siegel, Wall Street Journal

Polemic seems to have gone the way of the typewriter and the soda fountain. The word was once associated with the best practitioners of the form: Voltaire, Jonathan Swift, George Orwell, Rebecca West. Nowadays, if you say "polemic," you get strange looks, as if you were referring not to refined argument, especially written argument, but to some sort of purgative.

**** No Racial Undertones <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_602793.html>
Straits Times

home affairs minister K. Shanmugam on Friday strongly dismissed any notions that the recent gang attacks had racial undertones. He also gave assurances that gang activities were not on the rise. Police statistics show that the number of youth arrested for rioting has been stable.

**** 新加坡重“理”不重“文”的问题 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/yl101113_006.shtml>
廖浚朝, 联合早报

笔者近日与本地学生合作做课业报告,其间发现新加坡学生一些有趣的“习性”,一言以蔽之──欠缺批判力。究其原因,笔者认为是新加坡大学教育着重“知其然”的实用知识,而欠“知其所以然”的思考训练,而这一结果正是重“理”不重“文”的结果。

**** Singapore Offers Window On Shifting Power In Asia <http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/11/12/EDUH1GB9C3.DTL>
Lois Kazakoff, San Francisco Chronicle

While the U.S. economy is plodding, and the dollar is weakening, Singapore's economy is so hot that its government recently moved to strengthen the Sing dollar to cool inflation.

**** Deja Vu Over Teen Violence <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?col=insightdownsouth&file=/2010/11/13/columnists/insightdownsouth/7419696&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

Recently, however, teenage gangs seemed to have started to flex their muscles in various neighbourhoods; that could be blamed partly on the widening gap between rich and poor.

**** Don’t Be A Sore Loser, Dr M <http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/breakingviews/article/dont-be-a-sore-loser-dr-m-lee-wei-lian/>
Lee Wei Lian, Malaysian Insider

Two things really bug me here — why didn’t Dr Mahathir acknowledge Singapore’s world-class policies many of which are worth emulating and why didn’t he do a post-mortem on his own as a leader who is accountable for Malaysia’s past performance that contributed to the present situation? After 22 years in power, he should be able to come up with a better reason of why Malaysia is getting its ass whooped by Singapore than “they don’t have fair distribution of wealth between races”.

**** PAP Needs A Mufti, Not Singapore Muslim Community <http://www.temasekreview.com/2010/11/13/pap-needs-a-mufti-not-singapore-muslim-community/>
The Temasek Review

In all, the policy of PAP to have itself appoint a head to lead and decide for the Muslim community’s religious issues has only isolated the community and also due to the gulf the position has created the issues that needs to be resolved remains unresolved for decades.

**** Primary School Admission Is Not Fair, But Inevitable: MM Lee <http://sg.yfittopostblog.com/2010/11/13/primary-school-admission-is-not-fair-mm-lee/>
Ewen Boey, Yahoo!

However, he was quick to point out that the Primary School Leaving Examinations (PSLE) help to level the playing field as children gain entry into secondary schools based on their own merit.

**** SGX, SEL. Temasek, GIC, MOF, CPF – Caught In A Tangled Web? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/11/sgx-sel-temasek-gic-mof-cpf-caught-in-a-tangled-web/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

Given the conflicts of interest that have now been raised in the international media, in the light of the proposed acquisition of the Australian Stock Exchange by SGX, I would like to suggest that MAS consider selling its SGX stake and return the money to the Singapore government or back into our national reserves.

**** 街头党和客工 裕廊东追逐互殴 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp101113_010.shtml>
联合早报

公众舆论申斥街头党涉及白沙火拼导致一人死亡,及在武吉班让砍伤多个青年的案件言犹在耳,另一伙相信也是街头党的青年前晚却对一群客工发难。

**** Birthday Celebration At Central Public Library, 12 Nov 2010 <http://ramblinglibrarian.blogspot.com/2010/11/birthday-celebration-at-central-public.html>
Ivan Chew, Rambling Librarian