[MyAppleMenu] Nov 7, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Nov 7 18:59:00 EST 2010

**** Apple's On The March Again, So How Worried Should We Be? <http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/nov/07/apple-steve-jobs-mac-apps>
John Naughton, Guardian

Most people who buy Apple laptops are more like iPhone users than they are like geeks (who like to tinker with their computers). So most will prefer to have a crippled operating system running their laptops too. And another bastion of freedom will have fallen to Mr Jobs. QED and fade to black.

**** Apple And I.B.M. Aren’t All That Different <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/07/business/07unboxed.html?_r=1&partner=yahoofinance>
Steve Lohr, New York Times

I.B.M. and Apple can be viewed as the yin and the yang of high-tech innovation, as two companies with more in common than is generally understood. There is a lot of eureka invention and deep science in I.B.M.’s varied businesses, industry experts say. And Apple’s continuing success, they add, is explained in good part by its ability to make innovation a managed system, more machinelike.

**** Switched On: The iPadification Of Mac OS <http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/07/switched-on-the-ipadification-of-mac-os/>
Ross Rubin, Engadget

Apple hasn't yet offered extensive details on how these iPad calques will work in Lion; there doesn't seem to be any requirement for users to use these in Lion. But the hope is that Apple will blend them into the Mac OS rather than graft them on. Just as with the new MacBook Air, the key is to recognize what is relevant and what is not.

**** Not So Smart After All! Warning To iPhone Users As Clocks Go Back In U.S.... But Glitch Means Alarm App Will Not Update <http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1327405/Fall-Back-Time-Change-2010-Warning-iPhone-users-clocks-US.html>
Daily Mail

Owners of Apple's iPhone are being warned to manually reset the alarms on their smartphones as the clocks go back this weekend amid warnings a glitch in the gadget will fail to set the alarm clock off on time.

Users in Australia and Europe have already taken to the internet in outrage after their alarms went off an hour later than they should have when the clocks went back there last weekend.

**** Tom Lubbock: A Memoir Of Living With A Brain Tumour <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/nov/07/tom-lubbock-brain-tumour-language?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Tom Lubbock, Guardian

This is about my dying: and how my life got here.

**** The Obelisk By EM Forster – Review <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/nov/07/the-obelisk-em-forster-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Anna Winter, Guardian

These quietly subversive stories deserve to reach a new audience.

**** Countries With The Most Trusted Media <http://www.pressrun.net/weblog/2010/11/countries-with-the-most-trusted-media.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rana+%28Pressrun.net+%28originally+Blowin%27+in+the+Wind%29%29>
Pressrun.net

Gallup, in fact, ran an article discussing the discrepancy between its findings and the 2007 Global Press Freedom rankings from Freedom House, a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization.

**** Election Fever Raging <http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/fmt-english/opinion/comment/12516-election-fever-raging>
Maxwell Coopers, Free Malaysia Today

>From the looks of how things are in the city-state; it is in anybody’s guess to ask why the next six months shouldn’t be called opportune.

**** AirAsia, SIA Reinstate Jakarta Flights <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1091859/1/.html>
Joanne Chan, Channel NewsAsia

Some airlines have resumed flights to and from Jakarta, based on the latest movement of the volcanic ash cloud from Mount Merapi in Indonesia. Two AirAsia flights took off on Sunday morning, while Singapore Airlines has reinstated four flights.

**** Clutching At Straws – Shanmugam’s Hollow Defence Of PAP Media Myths <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/11/clutching-at-straws-shanmugam’s-hollow-defence-of-pap-media-myths/>
Pritam Singh, The Online Citizen

Shanmugam’s ill-advised remarks – like the attempts of many politicians throughout history to justify press-control and manipulation in favour of the incumbent leadership, authoritarian regimes and to minify alternative views – confirmed an unhealthy PAP paranoia that is effectively retarding the evolution of a tolerant and socially attuned Singapore society. Taken to its logical end, this paranoia and irrational fear of the media can cloud good judgment and may end up irreversibly inhibiting the intellectual development of the very society the PAP claims to protect.

**** The Homeless Suffer From Mental Illness? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/11/the-homeless-suffer-from-mental-illness/>
Ravi Philemon, The Online Citizen

It is important for legislators like Ms Penny Low (Member of Parliament for Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC) to be properly informed about issues like homelessness and not hold on to preconceived biases and/or prejudices (if she did make such a statement) so that they will not unfairly discriminate between their constituents – so that legislators like her can initiate and support appropriate policies which will benefit the disadvantaged and the needy.

**** "More Than Happy" To Stand In Single Member Ward, Says Grace Fu <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1091900/1/.html>
Joanne Chan, Channel NewsAsia

Senior minister of state for national development and education Grace Fu said she was "more than happy" to stand for election in a single member ward should her party require her to. She added she had been studying and learning from more experienced party members in preparation for the upcoming General Election.

**** Public Feedback Backs Proposed Re-hiring Law <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1091913/1/.html>
Satish Cheney, Channel NewsAsia

Respondents in a recent public consultation exercise were supportive of the proposed re-employment legislation, said manpower minister Gan Kim Yong.

**** Singaporeans Getting Fatter <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1091906/1/.html>
Hetty Musfirah Abdul Khamid, Channel NewsAsia

The latest National Health Survey shows the obesity rate has increased from 6.9 per cent in 2004 to 10.8 per cent this year.

**** Teo Ser Luck Welcomes Election Contest <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1091922/1/.html>
Satish Cheney, Channel NewsAsia

**** Australian And Singapore Exchanges: Two Don’t Become One <http://www.euromoney.com/Article/2709891/CurrentIssue/80126/Australian-and-Singapore-exchanges-Two-dont-become-one.html>
Euromoney

This isn’t – yet – a merger of stock exchanges. It’s a merger of two companies. The two ideas are very different.

**** Singapore Eyes Industries In Iran Outside Sanctions <http://gulfnews.com/business/economy/singapore-eyes-industries-in-iran-outside-sanctions-1.707805>
Bloomberg

Singapore's minister for foreign affairs said his country is eager to expand cooperation with Iran in industries unaffected by international sanctions against the country.

**** Tesco And Dairy Farm Bid For Carrefour Assets: Sources <http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6A61DC20101107>
Denny Thomas And Mark Potter, Reuters

Carrefour, the world's No. 2 retailer, had set a November 5 deadline for second-round bids in an auction which is expected to fetch $1 billion, the sources said.

**** Alan Shadrake Faces Singapore Jail Term For Criticising Use Of Death Penalty <http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/nov/07/alan-shadrake-singapore-death-penalty?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Justin McCurry, Guardian

Shadrake has admitted one minor inaccuracy in his book, but insists the rest of the material is "devastatingly accurate"."They know the book is accurate, which is why they're going to all this trouble," he said.

And while the British high commission in Singapore has offered only "words of comfort" since his arrest, he says he has received countless messages of support from ordinary Singaporeans. "The authorities overreacted without thinking through the consequences and the anti-Singapore hysteria that followed," he said. "And that is growing all the time."

**** Rice Exchange In Singapore To Safeguard World's Poor <http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/rice-exchange-in-singapore-to-safeguard-worlds-poor/story-e6frg8zx-1225949212614>
Leo Lewis, The Australian

Singapore should become the global hub of rice futures and spot trading to defend Asia's billions from price swings and food riots. It would also guard against shortages of the crop that feeds half the world, according to some of the world's foremost authorities on food supply.