[MyAppleMenu] Nov 1, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Nov 1 18:59:01 EDT 2010

**** iOS Daylight Saving Time Bug Hits Europe (And The Us Too?) <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/11/01/iphone-daylight-saving-time-bug-hits-europe/>
Chris Rawson, TUAW

With the switchover to Standard Time in Northern Hemisphere nations, European and Middle Eastern countries that have switched are now experiencing the same problem we saw in New Zealand and Australia, but in reverse: Europeans' recurring alarms are going off an hour later following the switch to Standard Time.

**** The New MacBook Air Is Much Improved <http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_16459389?nclick_check=1>
Troy Wolverton, San Jose Mercury News

For its light weight and blazing fast speed, I think the Air is more than worth the trade-offs.

**** Shopping At Apple's On-Campus Company Store <http://www.macworld.com/article/155295/2010/11/applecompanystore.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Stephanie Kent, Macworld

To me, taking a normal item—a t-shirt, say, or a water bottle—and slapping an Apple logo onto it doesn’t magically make it special. But don’t tell that to the hordes crowding the Apple Company Store in Cupertino, California.

**** Outlook 2011 Keyboard Shortcut Cheat Sheet <http://www.macworld.com/article/155037/2010/11/outlookkeyboard.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Joe Kissell, Macworld

Your fingers may have to learn some new habits. A number of common keyboard shortcuts changed between Entourage 2008 and Outlook 2011, and some even took on the opposite meaning!

**** Make A Smooth Switch To Outlook 2011 <http://www.macworld.com/article/155029/2010/11/outlookswitch.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Joe Kissell, Macworld

Switching to Outlook need not be traumatic, but it’s different enough that you may be disoriented at first, or have trouble figuring out how to do a few basic tasks. These tips will get you started.

**** Apple Tracking An Issue With Defective Monster Headphones? <http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/01/apple-tracking-an-issue-with-defective-monster-headphones/>
Paul Miller, Engadget

Apple is apparently blaming the "conductive flanges" used in many of Monster's earbuds for erratic stopping and starting of playback on Apple devices.

**** GarageBand '11 Is Worth Diving Into <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/11/01/diving-into-garageband-11/>
Brett Terpstra, CNET

This release will be of great value to anyone who wants to be able to quickly create professional-sounding audio, whether for iMovie soundtracks or your next homebrew album. The new features add great power without sacrificing simplicity.

**** Did Apple Pay Big Bucks In iAds Settlement? <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20021361-37.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
Greg Sandoval, CNET

A trademark lawsuit filed against Apple by a Web advertising firm over the term "iAds" was quietly settled in July. No one has disclosed exactly how the case was resolved but Apple now owns the "iAds" trademark, and last week a company peripherally involved in the suit posted a note to the Web that said Apple paid a "seven-figure settlement."

**** Lost The Remote? Another Reason To Use An App <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/01/technology/01remote.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Joshua Brustein, New York Times

**** A New Search Engine, Where Less Is More <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/01/technology/01search.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Claire Cain Miller, New York Times

Rich Skrenta, Blekko’s co-founder and chief executive, says that since Google started, the Web has been overrun by unhelpful sites full of links and keywords that push them to the top of Google’s search results but offer little relevant information. Blekko aims to show search results from only useful, trustworthy sites.

**** And When I’m Gloomy, You Simply Gotta Listen To Me <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/01/books/01book.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Michiko Kakutani, New York Times

The story of Frank Sinatra’s rise and self-invention and the story of his fall and remarkable comeback had the lineaments of the most essential American myths, and their telling, Pete Hamill once argued, required a novelist, “some combination of Balzac and Raymond Chandler,” who might “come closer to the elusive truth than an autobiographer as courtly as Sinatra will ever allow himself to do.”

Now, with “Frank: The Voice,” Sinatra has that chronicler in James Kaplan, a writer of fiction and nonfiction who has produced a book that has all the emotional detail and narrative momentum of a novel.

**** Pork Barrel Politics – Again? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/11/pork-barrel-politics-again/>
The Online Citizen

**** Indemnity Forms Unfair To Participants <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC101101-0000067/Indemnity-forms-unfair-to-participants>
David Kwok Ng Kan, Today

Does this mean that the organisation or school will be absolved of all responsibilities and liabilities for any accidents or fatalities that occur during the trip or expedition? Is the indemnity form a legal document in the first place?

**** A 30-Per-Cent Deviation Is Too Wide <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC101101-0000035/A-30-per-cent-deviation-is-too-wide>
Eugene K B Tan, Today

If relatively larger countries with more uneven spreads of population can do with 5- to 10-per-cent deviation, our 30-per-cent deviation seems "overly-generous" in small and compact Singapore.

**** Why Singapore Can't Produce A Zuckerberg <http://news.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20101101-245030.html>
Joy Fang, My Paper

Pundits cite factors such as the nation's limited pool of resources and, more importantly, its kiasu climate of being afraid to fail or lose face.

**** 毁约是商业纠纷,也是道德问题 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/yl101101_001.shtml>
陈纶峰, 联合早报

也许有人会觉得“出卖”一词太重了。或者我们退一步说,这孩子在过了桥之后,撕破脸皮露出真面目?只是证明老师的眼光愚钝,自己画皮之艺超群?无论怎么说,培育出只会读书不会做人的孩子,都是件令人伤心难过的事。

**** High-End Pet Services Catching On In Asia <http://www.cnbc.com/id/39922054/>
Cris Prystay, CNBC

High-end services for pets - dogs in particular - have seen a surge in demand in Asia, in tandem with growing middle class with bigger disposable income. From day care to dog cafes to pet spas, pooches from Singapore to Japan to China are having it good.

**** A Disempowered Generation <http://flaneurose.blogspot.com/2010/10/disempowered-generation.html>
Flaneurose

Telling the most mobile, talented and arguably, valuable demographic of your nation to suck it up and deal with it is practically laying out the red carpet for us to emigrate. Why not? Even if we wanted to hang that massive millstone of an HDB mortgage around our collective necks, even that has been priced out of our reach lately.

**** 接任内政部长后 尚穆根要“萧规曹随” <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp101101_014.shtml>
郑景祥, 联合早报

接任内政部长的尚穆根将不会对内政部进行大刀阔斧改革,因为内政部已有一套完整作业方式。

**** Immigration – Still An Issue, 12 Years On <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/11/immigration-still-an-issue-12-years-on/>
Chua Suntong, The Online Citizen

Instead of the adjusting the immigration inflow, the cabinet tried to promote its own version of social integration. Ordinary Singaporeans may wish to ask themselves whether the PAP regime has understood the immigration problem in perspective.

**** 武吉班让区议员张俰宾 表示已准备好随时应战 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp101101_007.shtml>
吴淑贤, 联合早报

**** Lift Upgrading In Hougang <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_597843.html>
Huang Lijie, Straits Times

Over 3,400 flats in 32 blocks in three Hougang precincts will soon get lift landing on every floor under the government's Lift Upgrading Programme. The People's Action Party's man in Hougang, Mr Eric Low, announced this on Sunday when speaking to reporters at a PAP Community Foundation kindergarten graduation ceremony.

**** Explosion In Tuas <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1090622/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

There's been an explosion at a chemical company at 24 Gul Lane.

**** HDB: Homelessness Is Not A Housing Issue <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/11/hdb-homelessness-is-not-a-housing-issue/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

The most important measure of affordability of public housing is arguably, the number of flat owners who cannot pay for their flats. This may also be the least desirable outcome, that every country’s public housing agency try to avoid most.

**** Asking The Wrong Questions. <http://kirstenhan.me/2010/10/30/asking-the-wrong-questions/>
Funny Little World

The comments made by SM Goh are worrying. They highlight even more than usual the disconnect between the government and the people. As we have long suspected, the leaders of our country have no idea what it is like to be a regular ol’ citizen of this country.

**** SMCs Can Collaborate In Many Areas With GRCs, Says Gan Kim Yong <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1090671/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

Giving his comments on the recent announcement by Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong that the Electoral Boundaries Review Committee had been convened, Mr Gan urged his opponents who are planning to take on the Chua Chu Kang division to come with programmes and a vision.

**** Re-Employment Age "Not Impossible" To Go Beyond 67: Manpower Minister <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1090650/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

Mr Gan added it was not impossible for the re-employment age to go beyond 67 years old as life span increases.

"But our focus now is to get the re-employment legislation out so that our workers and employers can have more time to prepare, and the current legislation will look at moving our re-employment to 65 (years old) and then we will look at extending to 67 later on and maybe beyond," he said.

**** M’sia-Singapore Relations Are Strong And Improving <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2010/11/1/nation/20101101133255&sec=nation>
Yuen Meikeng, The Star

Deputy foreign minister Datuk Richard Riot has insisted that the relationship between Malaysia and Singapore is improving, despite Singapore’s minister mentor Lee Kuan Yew’s accusation that Malaysia was sidelining races.

**** Economic Imperialism À La Singapore <http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/fmt-english/opinion/comment/12282-economic-imperialism-a-la-singapore>
Maxwell Coopers, Free Malaysia Today

**** Temasek Denies Link To SGX-ASX Takeover Deal <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/1090719/1/.html>
Millet Enriquez, Channel NewsAsia

In a letter addressed to key Australian media, Temasek said it "plays no part in the governance, operations or investment decisions of the Singapore Exchange".

**** Singapore PM Says Nuclear Power Plant Possible "During My Lifetime" <http://www.platts.com/RSSFeedDetailedNews/RSSFeed/ElectricPower/8128577>
Calvin Lee, Platts

Singapore prime minister Lee Hsien Loong said Monday that nuclear power is a viable, clean source of energy that produces low carbon emissions, and the island state "cannot afford to dismiss the option of nuclear energy altogether." In addition, while a nuclear power project is not scheduled to start any time soon, a nuclear plant could be built in Singapore "during my lifetime," Lee said in response to a question as to when Singapore could consider building a nuclear power plant.

**** Mr Goh Heard The Question, But Was He Listening? <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4302-mr-goh-heard-the-question-but-was-he-listening>
Singapore Democrat Party

For decades we sold our political rights for economic gain. Now we find ourselves at the mercy of our rulers.

**** PAP 2006 Election Manifesto Promise – Success Or Failure? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/11/pap-2006-election-manifesto-promise-–-success-or-failure/>
Andrew Loh / Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

The promise to “redesign old jobs” so that they would “pay more” has not, it would seem, been delivered.

Cleaners and road sweepers, for example, now earn around $650 a month, which is down from around $800 in 2005. Among the general population, Singapore workers had only a 1.4 per cent per annum real wage increase in the last 10 years. 2008 and 2009 saw negative real wage growth, with real earnings falling by 3.2 and 1.2 per cent in those two years respectively – this despite the fact that Singapore workers put in one of the highest number of work hours per week in the world, at 45.9 hours, surpassing South Korea which had the highest work hours in the world in 2008.