[MyAppleMenu] May 17, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon May 17 18:59:00 EDT 2010

**** How To: Creating Custom iBook Covers <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/05/16/how-to-creating-custom-ibook-covers/>
Michael Grothaus, TUAW

If you've ever added custom album artwork to an iTunes song, you get the basic idea of how to change the cover art of a Project Gutenberg book in your iTunes library.

**** Vietnam Tells Companies To Curb iPhone Imports To Trim Trade Deficit <http://www.thanhniennews.com/2010/Pages/20100507180250.aspx>
Bloomberg

Vietnam’s Ministry of Information and Communications told companies not to import “too many” of Apple Inc.’s iPhone as the government tries to cut purchases of luxury items to narrow the trade deficit.

**** Apple's iPhone Replaces Blackberry For Some Bankers <http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE64G0SI20100517>
Kevin Lim and George Chen, Reuters

British bank Standard Chartered is replacing the Blackberry, currently its standard corporate communication device, with the iPhone, a move that could eventually result in thousands of its bankers switching to the Apple device for business communication on the go.

Bankers at other financial institutions such as HSBC Holdings Plc and Morgan Stanley have so far been restricted to the Blackberry as the standard device issued by their firms for business communications. Despite some indications of change, it may take time for a broader switch to take place, mainly because of security concerns, according to financial professionals and information technology analysts.

**** Review: After Effects CS5 <http://www.macworld.com/reviews/product/464054/review/after_effects_cs5.html?expand=true&lsrc=rss_main>
Jeff Foster, Macworld

**** New Inks Could Mean Cheaper OLED Screens <http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/25337/?ref=rss&a=f>
Katherine Bourzac, Technology Review

DuPont has developed a printing process to bring down the cost of high-performance displays.

**** Exhaust <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2010/05/24/100524po_poem_williams>
C. K. Williams, New Yorker

**** A Glossary Of Chickens <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2010/05/24/100524po_poem_whitehead>
Gary Whitehead, New Yorker

**** What Is A Philosopher? <http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/05/16/what-is-a-philosopher/?hp>
Simon Critchley, New York Times

There are as many definitions of philosophy as there are philosophers – perhaps there are even more. After three millennia of philosophical activity and disagreement, it is unlikely that we’ll reach consensus, and I certainly don’t want to add more hot air to the volcanic cloud of unknowing. What I’d like to do in the opening column in this new venture — The Stone — is to kick things off by asking a slightly different question: what is a philosopher?

**** Pink Doted! <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/05/pink-doted/>
Ho Rui An, The Online Citizen

If the inaugural event last year presented a compelling show of solidarity, this year’s Pink Dot brought it farther by conveying a palpable sense of community as 4000 people – almost double the number last year – gathered for what is perhaps the largest show of support for diversity and inclusiveness in Singapore.

**** Criminal Lawyers Concerned Over Clause In Proposed Criminal Procedure Code <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC100517-0000027/Criminal-lawyers-concerned-over-clause-in-proposed-criminal-procedure-code>
Zul Othman, Today

Despite the public consultation phase, the two sides still differ on the clause in the Criminal Procedure Code Bill that covers the admissibility in court of an accused person's statements. While MinLaw maintains that there are sufficient safeguards to protect accused persons, the Association of Criminal Lawyers of Singapore (ACLS) argues that the bar can be set higher.

As ACLS understands the proposed changes to the rulebook, statements made to police officers (above the rank of sergeant) or to any law enforcement agency can be admitted as evidence in trial even if the accused was, for example, drunk; or not told that he was not obliged to make the statement; or that the statements could be used against him.

**** Why Should Death Sentences Be Mandatory? <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC100517-0000039/Why-should-death-sentences-be-mandatory?>
Conrad Raj, Today

While the death penalty and other tough measures like caning may seem barbarous to many, I feel as deterrents to serious crimes they have few equals. But why should such sentences be mandatory? It is as if the circumstances leading to every crime are the same. Too many offences here carry a mandatory sentence.

Yes, tough measures are needed to deal with heinous crimes, which includes poisoning the minds and bodies with forbidden drugs, but is the ultimate penalty warranted for every such crime?

**** It Is Very Seductive, But Yield Not To Temptation <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/3709-it-is-very-seductive-but-yield-not-to-temptation>
Singapore Democrat Party

Democracy can be a pain because it may slow down the decision-making process. But the checks-and-balance and transparency the system provides means that the interests of the people come first, not the ruling elite's. It means that the people have control over where the country is headed.

Moving speedily in a posh and suped-up race car sure beats driving a lumbering and heavy tank. But it won't be much fun when you are headed towards the edge of a cliff and you find that the brakes aren't working and steering wheel has been removed.

**** Generalisations With Capital Punishment In Singapore <http://guanyinmiao.wordpress.com/2010/05/17/generalisations-with-capital-punishment-in-singapore/>
Guanyinmiao's Musings

Essentially, the execution of a drug pawn has little significance in addressing the larger drug trafficking issues; conversely, it has disproportionate emotional ramifications on the individual’s family and friends.

**** Workers’ Party Youth Wing Youthquake HDB Public Forum <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/05/workers-party-youth-wing-youthquake-hdb-public-forum/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

**** No Apology For Cornering Govt: WP Chief <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_527391.html>
Low Thia Khiang, Straits Times

I agree the issue is not simple and is sensitive. It reflects the kind of Singapore and Singaporeans we want in the long term, and concerns not just the immediate livelihood of Singaporeans. That was why I spent time researching the issue and did not jump into the fray at the height of public discontent.

However, it is inevitable that if the issue is not resolved satisfactorily, I will have to escalate it to a political level, as I am not convinced of the need and justification for lowering the MTL weighting at the Primary School Leaving Examination.

**** 多名高级警官被贪调局传召问话 <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp100517_006.shtml>
赖诗琳, 联合早报

多名警官正在接受贪污调查局调查,但由于当局拒绝透露详情,目前不清楚他们所牵涉的案件。

根据一般程序,贪调局介入调查时,除了传召被投诉者问话,也会传召其他人,以了解情况和收集资料,因此被传召录口供的警官不代表一定有嫌疑,可能只是协助调查的证人或向贪调局提供资料。

**** Singapore Export Growth Accelerates, Boosting Economic Rebound <http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-05-17/singapore-export-growth-accelerates-boosting-economic-rebound.html>
Shamim Adam, Bloomberg

Singapore’s exports rose at the fastest pace since 2005 in April as a recovering global economy lifted shipments by electronic makers.

**** Death Penalty For Drug Offences Decline But Hundreds Still Executed <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/05/death-penalty-drug-decline-hundreds-still-executed/>
The Online Citizen

**** MPs To Ask Questions On Mother Tongue Issue In Parliament <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1057197/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

The Mother Tongue issue will be debated when Parliament sits on Tuesday. Members have filed five questions on the subject for oral answer.

**** MPs To Propose Changes To Maintenance Of Parents Act <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1057229/1/.html>
Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

A team of 10 Members of Parliament is spearheading efforts to propose changes to the Maintenance of Parents Act to give the law more bite. Among the changes being considered is that of giving the Commissioner of Maintenance of Parents access to housing and salary records of children.

**** Lasers, iPods, For A Singapore Funeral Of A Lifetime <http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=10663847>
Edgar Su, Reuters

Death need not be a grim affair, especially for the living, and at a new columbarium in Singapore, the deceased can depart, rock concert style.

**** Singapore Makes Two Deals To Boost Its Film Industry <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703315404575250063863666150.html?mod=WSJ_latestheadlines>
Dean Napolitano, Wall Street Journal