[MyAppleMenu] May 10, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon May 10 18:59:00 EDT 2010

**** Apple's Gianduia: False Alarm Or Flash-Killer? <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2363557,00.asp>
David Murphy, PC Magazine

Gianduia allows one to write Web apps in a kind of Objective-C environment to recreate OSX-, iPhone-, or iPad-like interfaces within a Web browser. It's a framework, not a Flash-killer—at least, not now.

**** A Musical Revolution, With A Cost In Fidelity <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/10/business/media/10audio.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Joseph Plambeck, New York Times

The last decade has brought an explosion in dazzling technological advances — including enhancements in surround sound, high definition television and 3-D — that have transformed the fan’s experience. There are improvements in the quality of media everywhere — except in music.

**** Apple To SIM-Lock Japanese iPads <http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9176468/Apple_to_SIM_lock_Japanese_iPads>
Martyn Williams, IDG News Service

Apple appears to have reversed course in Japan on a key feature of its iPad 3G: It won't offer a version capable of being used with different cellular carriers there.

All Japanese models will be SIM-locked to Softbank Mobile, Apple's iPhone partner in Japan, Apple said late Monday. The company confirmed the presence of a SIM lock but couldn't immediately explain why it was enforcing the restriction in Japan.

**** Apple Lowers German iPad Prices After Screwup & Consumer Uproar <http://appadvice.com/appnn/2010/05/apple-lowers-german-ipad-prices-screwup-consumer-uproar/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AppAdvice+%28AppAdvice%29>
Alexander Vaughn, App Advice

Apple announced that German iPad prices will be a bit higher than average. The reason for that, as explained by Steve himself, was a newly introduced €15 copyright tax that Apple added to every model. The thing is; that wasn’t right.

We’re not going to hold a grudge Steve, but think twice next time before you tell customers to “educate themselves“.

**** iPad Usability: First Findings From User Testing <http://www.useit.com/alertbox/ipad.html>
Jakob Nielsen, Useit.com

iPad apps are inconsistent and have low feature discoverability, with frequent user errors due to accidental gestures. An overly strong print metaphor and weird interaction styles cause further usability problems.

**** Review: Illustrator CS5 <http://www.macworld.com/reviews/product/464055/review/illustrator_cs5.html?expand=true&lsrc=rss_main>
Pariah S. Burke, Macworld

**** Tocqueville In America <http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/books/2010/05/17/100517crbo_books_wood>
James Wood, New Yorker

The grand journey, retraced and reimagined.

**** The Drunkenness Of Noah <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2010/05/17/100517po_poem_graber>
Kathleen Graber, New Yorker

**** Free Fruit For Young Widows <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2010/05/17/100517fi_fiction_englander>
Nathan Englander, New Yorker

**** Private Equity <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2010/05/17/100517po_poem_black>
Sophie Cabot Black, New Yorker

**** The Scar <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2010/05/17/100517po_poem_wheeler>
Susan Wheeler, New Yorker

**** MOE Says "No Intention" Of Reducing Importance Of Mother Tongue Subject <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1055452/1/.html>
Hoe Yeen Nie, Channel NewsAsia

The Ministry of Education (MOE) said it has "no intention" of reducing the importance of the mother tongue subject at the PSLE.

This comes after education minister Ng Eng Hen met with organisers of a petition against proposed changes that could see the subject take on a smaller weighting at the national examinations.

**** Alliance Talks On Or Off? <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC100510-0000077/Alliance-talks-on-or-off?>
Leong Wee Keat, Today

Are negotiations for an alliance between the Singapore Democratic Alliance and the Reform Party on or off? Depends on which party you ask.

**** Death Penalty, A Trade-off <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC100510-0000060/Death-penalty,-a-trade-off>
Teo Xuanwei, Today

The mandatory death penalty for serious drug offences here is a "trade-off" the government makes to protect "thousands of lives" that may be ruined if drugs were freely available, law minister and second home affairs Minister K Shanmugam said yesterday.

"You save one life here, but 10 other lives will be gone. What will your choice be?"

Firstly, are we resorting to treating lost lives as a mere 'trade off'? Secondly, are there even evidence that there is a credible trade-off, especially when compared to alternatives such as life-long imprisonment?

**** Evaluating Singapore’s “Bilingualism” <http://guanyinmiao.wordpress.com/2010/05/10/evaluating-singapores-bilingualism/>
Guanyinmiao's Musings

MOE, instead of seeking ways to address the slide, seems to favour the easy way out. This will not do if we still want our students to excel in the international platforms, with the possibility of greater and stiffer competition.

**** Consider Fine-tuning Plastic Bags Rebate Scheme <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC100510-0000052/Consider-fine-tuning-plastic-bags-rebate-scheme>
Tong Jee Cheng, Today

Why not learn from Ikea? If the rebate strategy works, Ikea would not be charging for the carrier bags.

Different people have different objectives and different definitions of "works".

**** How TV Debates Make A Difference <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_524600.html>
Ng Zhao Yang, Straits Times

With regard to the point that the British debates did not make the parties' manifestoes clear to the public, televised debates were meant to bring the election to the viewer, and hence it would not be possible to introduce the parties' entire manifestoes in the short time allocated. Instead, the three party leaders spent a considerable amount of time debating issues that were important to the public and had the opportunity to make their stance on these issues very clear.

**** 世界杯联播划一收费的商榷 <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/sl100510_001.shtml>
联合早报

两家公司联手去投标,而制订划一的价格表面上看来是理所当然,但深想一层,这种作法传达出的信息令人担忧。消费者不禁要问,这次的联播是否开启两家付费电视将来在划一收费方面的合作风气?如果是的话,这显然与政府今年初出手干预付费电视市场的目的背道而驰。

All regulations will have unintended consequences. We should be mindful of that, and constraint from having unnecessary regulations.

**** The Holistic Approach To Eradicating Homelessness <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/05/toc-editorial-the-holistic-approach-to-eradicating-homelessness/>
The Online Citizen

No one would deny that those who find themselves homeless might have made some bad decisions. However, turning them into refugees of society for their mistakes is not the natural or conscionable conclusion of a culture of self reliance.

**** 傅海燕:民众对母语课题反应  是给母语教育打强心针 <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp100510_004.shtml>
联合早报

教育部高级政务部长傅海燕说,大家近来对母语课题的反应和讨论,对母语教育来说算是打了一剂强心针,大家的反馈政府都会考虑。“政府一直都在非常细心地聆听,大家的反馈我们都会考虑在内,请大家不要慌张、激动,总理会在短期内针对这个课题发言。“

**** Fuzzy Logic On The Death Penalty <http://groundnotes.wordpress.com/2010/05/10/fuzzy-logic-on-the-death-penalty/>
Groundnotes

Until one can empirically isolate the causal factor for our low levels of drug abuse, one cannot state with any confidence, as Shanmugam does, that it is down to the death penalty.

**** Capital Punishment In Singapore For Drug-related Offences. <http://rogerpoh.wordpress.com/2010/05/10/capital-punishment-in-singapore-for-drug-related-offences>
SpotlightOnSingapore

Singapore seems to think its prosecution of offenders is flawless, implying the impossibilityof any error in the legal process. Is such a draconian law really an effective deterrent? Judging from the increasing numbers of drug-related offences, I don’t think so.

**** Responding To The Minister's Comments On The Mandatory Death Penalty <http://magnezium.blogspot.com/2010/05/responding-to-ministers-comments-on.html>
Magnezium

The first two arguments, therefore, stand on shaky ground. I wouldn't take someone's life if I knew I stood on shaky ground. I don't think I am unique in this respect, either.

**** Cabbies Keen To Swing By MBS With Surcharge But Concerned With Long Queue <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1055648/1/.html>
Jessica Yeo & Ting Kheng Siong, Channel NewsAsia

Cabbies are concerned that the queue could get longer once the surcharge kicks in. Many said they'll go to the Integrated Resort for passengers but are worried that there won't be enough area for them to wait.

**** Intra-city Shuttle Bus & Bicycle Scheme Recommended For City Buzz <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1055656/1/.html>
Satish Cheney, Channel NewsAsia