[MyAppleMenu] May 7, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri May 7 18:59:00 EDT 2010

**** How Apple Put The User First To Make A Billion Dollars Fast <http://blogs.computerworld.com/16061/how_apple_put_the_user_first_to_make_a_billion_dollars_fast>
Jonny Evans, Computerworld

The iPad has changed the game. Which is why it has become the fastest product launch in history.

**** Apple-Adobe Feud: Is Flash As Bad As Jobs Says? <http://www.cio.com/article/592835/Apple_Adobe_Feud_Is_Flash_as_Bad_as_Jobs_Says_?source=rss_news>
Tom Kaneshige, CIO

It seems Adobe is in the process of fixing many of the technical hurdles, if it hasn't already. So why can't Apple wait for Adobe?

Okay. No more iPhones until Adobe fixes everything. :-)

**** What iPads Did To My Family <http://chucksblog.emc.com/chucks_blog/2010/05/what-ipads-did-to-my-family.html>
Chuck Hollis

I don't think I'll be buying any more desktops going forward. I don't think I'll even be buying any more laptops going forward.

**** WWDC 2010 Sold Out <http://www.9to5mac.com/node/16602?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
9 To 5 Mac

**** Apple iPad May Cannibalize iPod Touch, Notebooks <http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Desktops-and-Notebooks/Apple-iPad-May-Cannibalize-iPod-Touch-Notebooks-847279/>
Nicholas Kolakowski, eWeek

**** For Apple, The Best China Strategy Was Not Having One <http://blogs.forbes.com/china/2010/05/06/for-apple-the-best-china-strategy-was-not-having-one/?boxes=Homepagelighttop>
Paul Denlinger, Forbes

China Mobile is the largest mobile telecom operator in the world (more than 522 million subscribers as of March 2010), and it was not used to not having its way in business negotiations with any company.

Except for Apple. With Steve Jobs, they met their match.

**** iPad International Availability Set For May 28 <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/05/07/ipad-international-availability-set-for-may-28/>
Michael Rose, TUAW

**** Review: QuicKeys 4 <http://www.macworld.com/reviews/product/501802/review/quickeys_4.html?expand=true&lsrc=rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

Licensing and protection issues aside, QuicKeys is a powerhouse macro application that can do wonderful things for your workflow. It's not the easiest utility to use, but if you take the time to learn its intricacies, you'll make your Mac a more productive (and less tedious) machine.

**** Apple iPad In Short Supply At Company's Retail Stores <http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-05-07/apple-ipad-in-short-supply-at-company-s-retail-stores-update1-.html>
Connie Guglielmo and Rochelle Garner, BusinessWeek

Apple Inc. retail stores in 13 U.S. cities said they sold out of all three versions of the iPad 3G, which went on sale last week, and had no information about when they will get more to sell.

**** Nokia Sues Apple Again For Patent Infringement <http://www.loopinsight.com/2010/05/07/nokia-sues-apple-again-for-patent-infringement/>
Jim Dalrymple, The Loop

Nokia on Friday filed another patent infringement lawsuit against Apple, claiming the iPhone 3G devices infringe on five of its patents.

**** Google's Goggles Gets Instant Text Translation <http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-20004335-248.html?part=rss&amp;subj=news&amp;tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
Josh Lowensohn, CNET News

**** Raiders Of The Night Kitchen <http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/05/05/raiders-of-the-night-kitchen/?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Leanne Shapton, New York Times

This morning, I wake at 4 and can’t get back to sleep. By 5, I am up, with my dog. As I stand outside in the chill and he pads around in the dark, I decide to make brownies.

**** Bad Call <http://www.thesmartset.com/article/article05061001.aspx>
Miriam N. Kotzin, The Smart Set

Don't lament everything lost to technology.

**** Searching For Neal Cassady In San Miguel de Allende <http://www.worldhum.com/features/travel-stories/searching-for-neal-cassady-in-san-miguel-de-allende-20100503/>
Peter Ferry, Worldhum

When I first get here, the only thing I know with certainty about Neal Cassady’s time in San Miguel de Allende is that he died ignominiously just outside of town in 1968. And although that tie is admittedly tenuous, it’s curious to me that people in this artists’ colony who are surely used to outcasts and iconoclasts seem reluctant to claim him. At least at first.

**** The Horror Of NPR's Copycat Story <http://www.salon.com/life/feature/2010/05/06/npr_plagiarism/index.html>
Mary Elizabeth Williams, Salon

Did a "Morning Edition" segment lift its ideas from a satirical viral video?

**** Reform GIC And Temasek <http://callantham.org/blog/2010/5/6/reform-gic-and-temasek.html>
Callan Tham, Trapper's Swamp

**** NAC Cuts Wild Rice Funding <http://callantham.org/blog/2010/5/6/nac-cuts-wild-rice-funding.html>
Callan Tham, Trapper's Swamp

A society that refuses to be critical of itself will never have a thriving arts scene.

**** ST Wants Chee To Retract Comments, Witholds Publishing His Replies <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/3681-st-wants-chee-to-retract-comments-witholds-publishing-his-replies>
Singapore Democrat Party

"You know as well as I do that if I did not consent to your editing, my replies would not be published as has been the case in the past (see here). I had no choice but to agree to your terms before your readers can read my replies. With no other newspaper companies to contend with, you have the monopoly on what you allow Singaporeans to read."

"But I don't have to concur with your censorship. I retain the right to publish on the SDP's website the portions of my reply which you have taken out."

**** Cab Levy At IRs Slammed <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_523643.html>
Maria Almenoar, Straits Times

Commuters and transport experts are up in arms over what they say is the indiscriminate manner in which taxi companies are applying location surcharges.

Their reactions follow an announcement by the six taxi companies that a $3 surcharge would be levied from next week on cab rides from the Marina Bay Sands (MBS) integrated resort. This follows a similar move in January at the other IR, Resorts World Sentosa (RWS).

LTA failed to ensure there is real competition when deregulating taxi fares.

**** Rebate Presents Win-win Situation <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC100507-0000056/Rebate-presents-win-win-situation>
Howard Shaw, Singapore Environment Council, Today

The final decision was for a rebate because the BYOB originated as a voluntary scheme, so a natural progression to an incentive (of offering a rebate) would be more effective in winning the hearts of the public in changing their behaviour.

**** Are More Singaporeans Financially Stressed? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/05/are-more-singaporeans-financially-stressed/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

**** Ionescu Asks For Cancellation Of Arrest Warrant <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC100507-0000115/Ionescu-asks-for-cancellation-of-arrest-warrant>
Today

The former charge d'affaires at the Romanian Embassy in Singapore, Silviu Ionescu, asked the Bucharest Court of Appeal on Wednesday to cancel the arrest warrant against him.

**** Lanes, Lots For Cyclists <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC100507-0000144/Lanes,-lots-for-cyclists>
Ong Dai Lin, Today

Some of their suggestions echoed popular calls that have been rejected time and again by the Government; other proposals may be downright unpopular, admitted the focus group appointed by the Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) to review its Concept Plan 2011.

Either way, green transport will have a key role in building a sustainable city, said the 30-member group.

**** A Free Day In Singapore <http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/10_20/b4178083148412.htm>
Cheryl Lu-Lien Tan, BusinessWeek

Where to find a taste of the old city-state, from Malay stalls to old-fashioned confectioneries.

**** 'Potential Synergy Between Iskandar And Singapore' <http://www.btimes.com.my/articles/rup04g/Article/>
Rupa Damodaran, Business Times

Malaysia's Iskandar Development Region (IDR) can complement Singapore, said Citi, but the US investment bank has raised concerns on the speed of project implementation and their commercial potential. So far, Singapore investors have committed to invest RM2.68 billion in IDR, mostly in the manufacturing sector.

**** Gastronomic Feast At Singapore's World Gourmet Summit-Burp! <http://lifestyle.inquirer.net/fashionandbeauty/fashionandbeauty/view/20100507-268461/Gastronomic-feast-at-Singapores-World-Gourmet-Summit-burp>
Maurice Arcache, Philippine Daily Inquirer

World-class creations by the world’s most acclaimed chefs -what more could we ask for?

**** CPF Rate Hike Not Enough <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_523692.html>
Zakir Hussain, Straits Times

While most Singaporeans welcome the move to raise the employers' Central Provident Fund (CPF) contribution rate, more than half feel the 1 percentage point increase is not enough. This is the finding of a poll of almost 200 people by government feedback unit Reach.

**** Effects Of Recent Electoral Changes <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2010/yax-1107.htm>
Yawning Bread

**** Romanian Court Rejects Ionescu Request To Cancel Arrest Warrant <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1055033/1/.html>
Mustafa Shafawi, Channel NewsAsia

Former Romanian Charge d'Affaires to Singapore, Silviu Ionescu, has failed in his attempt to get the arrest warrant issued against him cancelled.

**** “干部培训”非要“出国走一遭”吗 <http://news.xhby.net/system/2010/05/07/010745274.shtml>
武洁, 扬子晚报

**** S'pore & Johor Officials Discuss Expiry Of 1961 Water Agreement <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1055099/1/.html>
Joanne Chan, Channel NewsAsia

**** Singapore Visual Artist Revives Magic Of Cinema <http://malaysia.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20100507/tap-exhibition-singapore-mingwong-c3bb44c.html>
Sugita Katyal, Reuters

Visual artist Ming Wong's exhibition at the Singapore Art Museum isn't just about cinema: it's also a peep into the unique hybrid culture of Singapore and its three main ethnic groups -- Chinese, Malay and Indian.

**** 8000余官员留学新加坡的荒唐和险恶用心 <http://www.bayuq.cn/n329581c42.aspx>
岳喜源, 巴渝圈

国内的8000余官员到新加坡去学习什么?是学习资本主义的人压迫人人剥削人的资本主义私有化制度吗?还是去学习资本主义的吃喝玩乐的腐朽堕落思想?

**** SingTel, StarHub Win World Cup Broadcast Rights <http://www.totaltele.com/view.aspx?ID=455298>
Dow Jones

Both companies didn't mention how much they have paid for the broadcast rights.