[MyAppleMenu] May 2, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun May 2 18:59:00 EDT 2010

**** iPad Spending: Don’t Sell Me Single App Publications! <http://steveouting.com/2010/05/01/ipad-spending-dont-sell-me-single-app-publications/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+steveouting+%28SteveOuting.com%29>
Steve Outing

There’s no way that I’m going to pay for individual magazines as individual iPad apps! This approach completely misunderstands the device. First, the single-edition iPad purchase is fleeting; psychologically, I resist buying iPad apps that are read or viewed once and then deleted (since if I don’t and I continue buying iPad Time editions, my iPad screen will fill up with Time icons for various editions).

**** Platform Control <http://www.markbernstein.org/Apr10/PlatformControl.html>
Mark Bernstein

And somewhere in the recovery was a moment when Apple stood on a hill, before the setting sun, and shook its fist at the heavens and vowed that it would never be hungry (and powerless) again Never again would another company decide whether the Macintosh lived or died.

**** Apple Is Losing Control — And That’s A Good Thing <http://gigaom.com/2010/05/01/apple-is-losing-control-and-thats-a-good-thing/?utm_source=gigaom&utm_medium=most-commented>
Kevin Kelleher, Gigaom.com

In the early days of the web, ISPs faced a similar choice and decided not to control what customers could read. Apple will always favor a closed architecture that lets it offer a web experience on its terms. But in time, even its curated experience will look more more like the messy reality we see on the web today.

**** The Mac As A Gaming Platform, The New Era <http://www.tomshardware.com/news/valve-steam-mac-mac-games-imac,10022.html#xtor=RSS-181>
Wolfgang Gruener, Tom's Hardware

Apple’s march into gaming and its continued marketing pitch about how well the handheld devices work with certain games can only help Valve to expand this vision to the traditional desktop. Indeed, Valve may even help Apple make the Mac a much more attractive gaming platform and create more hardware choices for Mac buyers.

**** Altered States <http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2010/05/02/altered_states/?rss_id=Boston+Globe+--+Ideas+section>
Michael J. Trinklein, Boston Globe

The strange history of efforts to redraw the New England map.

**** The Pink Floyd Night School <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/02/opinion/02edmundson.html>
Mark Edmundson, New York Times

“So, what are you doing after graduation?”

In the spring of my last year in college I posed that question to at least a dozen fellow graduates-to-be at my little out-of-the-way school in Vermont. The answers they gave me were satisfying in the extreme: not very much, just kick back, hang out, look things over, take it slow. It was 1974. That’s what you were supposed to say.

**** An Elastic Band Here, A Clothes Peg There, Part 1 <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2010/yax-1103.htm>
Yawning Bread

There's something very arbitrary about it, and arbitrary rules are open to abuse and never engender respect. And Parliament is worth nothing if it enjoys no respect.

**** 语言不是唯一的身份 <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl100502_002.shtml>
周兆呈, 联合早报

**** Human Rights Lessons From Singapore <http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/fmt-english/opinion/comment/5103-singapore-to-get-lessons-on-human-rights>
Maxwell Coopers, Free Malaysia Today

There is no doubt like democracy, human rights does mean different things to different people.

And what people develop by sheer grit and hard work such as to attain a higher standard of living cannot be divorced from the fact that societies are at liberty or in fact at their very own discretion to choose the models they want.

**** Van Nguyen's Light Not Extinguished By Death <http://www.smh.com.au/national/van-nguyens-light-not-extinguished-by-death-20100501-u0do.html>
Gary Tippet, The Age

Neither woman wants to deny the seriousness of heroin trafficking, but they say the death penalty is out of all proportion to the crime and punishes not just the executed, but their families - and, in a sense, the future.

''On my last visit to Van, I couldn't understand how I was standing opposite a perfectly healthy person - completely repented and who had transformed into a beautiful young man with a heart filled with much goodness and compassion - and knowing it was the last time I would see him before he would be hung by a noose … deliberately and unrelentingly killed by the state. It didn't make sense,'' says Bronwyn.

**** Interpol Request To Deliver Cowboys Director To Bali <http://www.thebalitimes.com/2010/05/01/interpol-bali-director/>
The Bali Times

The maker of a documentary about the goings-on between Indonesian men and foreign women holidaying in Bali is to be summoned to the island via Interpol, Bali Police said.

Director Amit Virmani, who lives in Singapore, neither had a permit to work in Indonesia when he made the film nor required permission to film in the country, violations that could see him jailed for up to a year and fined, police have said.

**** AWARE ‘Reinvigorated’ Since Saga, Says President <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/05/aware-reinvigorated-since-saga/>
Wong Chun Han, The Online Citizen

**** The Shark’s Fin Dilemma: Old Traditions Die Hard <http://guanyinmiao.wordpress.com/2010/05/02/the-shark%e2%80%99s-fin-dilemma-old-traditions-die-hard/>
Guanyinmiao's Musings

A hard-handed approach by environmentalists in persuading Singaporeans, especially Chinese families, to immediately stop consuming shark’s-fin soup might not be particularly beneficial; given that it is a dish with tremendous cultural significance.

**** An Elastic Band Here, A Clothes Peg There, Part 2 <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2010/yax-1104.htm>
Yawning Bread

**** Is Straits Times A Government Mouthpiece? <http://singaporerecalcitrant.blogspot.com/2010/05/is-straits-times-government-mouthpiece.html>
Singapore Recalcitrant

One will have to be cynical to believe that there is press freedom in Singapore. This, at best, depends on the charitable whim of the powers that be.

**** CPF Restoration: Good Or Bad News? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/05/cpf-restoration-good-or-bad-news/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

In healthcare funding terms, this is what many countries fear most and try very hard to avoid – that the current generation is paying for older generations and depleting their healthcare funding.

If this trend continues, our current healthcare funding mechanism under the Medisave system may become unsustainable in the future, as the current generation grows older with very little funds left.

**** Land-locked Singapore Shows The Way On Smart Growth <http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/real_estate/archives/2010/05/land-locked-sin.html>
Jim Wasserman, Sacramento Bee

For several days now I have seen how the other half lives - in Singapore - and it's enviable, everything that SACOG has been talking about for years in Sacramento.