[MyAppleMenu] Jul 21, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Jul 21 18:59:00 EDT 2010

**** Apple Sees Record Revenue On Mac, iPad, iPhone Sales <http://www.macworld.com/article/152825/2010/07/apple_3rdquarter_results.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Philip Michaels, Macworld

Record Mac sales and a strong debut for the iPad helped Apple generate $15.7 billion in sales and a profit of $3.25 billion during the company’s fiscal third quarter. Apple’s sales figures, revealed as part of the company’s third-quarter earnings announcement Tuesday, mark a quarterly record.

Apple sold 3.47 million Macs during the three-month period ended June 26, 2010—another quarterly record for the company that topped the previous high sales mark by 100,000 units. Mac sales increased 33 percent over the 2.6 million units Apple sold in the third quarter of 2009. Oppenheimer noted that Apple’s 33-percent sales growth topped the 22-percent growth rate market research firm IDC projects for the overall computer market.

**** Apple: "international Numbers Are Absolutely Killer" <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/07/20/apple_international_numbers_are_absolutely_killer.html>
AppleInsider

Apple's chief operations officer Tim Cook said Apple's "international numbers are absolutely killer," citing particularly strong growth in Asia, Europe and Japan. Cook noted 144% growth in China and near double growth in Hong Kong sales.

**** Apple Denies Creating Artificial Product Shortages For Hype <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/07/20/apple_denies_creating_artificial_product_shortages_for_hype.html>
AppleInsider

Speaking to analysts and members of the press following the release of the company's quarterly earnings report, chief operating officer Tim Cook said Apple does not intentionally build a small number of units to generate hype. Gene Munster with Piper Jaffray prompted the discussion when he asked Cook why Apple is always running out of products after a launch.

**** Apple App Store's Security Track Record Unblemished After Two Years <http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9179424/Apple_App_Store_s_security_track_record_unblemished_after_two_years?taxonomyId=17>
Kenneth van Wyk, Computerworld

Apple's App Store contains over 225,000 applications for the iPhone, the iPod Touch and now the iPad, which have been downloaded over 5 billion times. To date, we've had zero virus or worm incidents in the wild. I say that's a pretty darned successful run so far.

**** Apple’s Billion Dollar Data Center Will Be Done This Year. iTunes In The Cloud, Anyone? <http://techcrunch.com/2010/07/20/apple-data-center/>
MG Siegler, TechCrunch

I mean, just look at this thing. I find it hard to believe that it’s for MobileMe.

**** Flashlight App Secretly Lets You Enable iPhone Tethering <http://www.macworld.com/article/152835/2010/07/iphone_flashlight_tethering.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

The only question now is when Apple will pull Handy Light from the store, and perhaps whether Steve Jobs will send some heavies to the developer’s house to deliver a knuckle sandwich.

**** Wow. Wired Report Shows Apple Knowingly Engaged In False iPhone Advertising <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/foremski/wow-wired-report-shows-apple-knowingly-engaged-in-false-iphone-advertising/1428>
Tom Foremski, ZDNet

This is a story about Apple heroically standing up to AT&T yet the result is an iPhone that can’t deliver on the services advertised by Apple.

**** It Took Serious Hounding To Get Apple To Show “Black Lab” <http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/20100720/it-took-serious-hounding-to-get-apple-to-show-black-lab/?mod=ATD_rss>
John Paczkowski, Wall Street Journal

Of course, this is precisely what Apple wants me to say. And based on Apple’s unusually frank and detailed elaborations, it rings true. Smartphone antenna design requires compromises.

The trouble is, the public doesn’t expect compromises from Apple.

**** The Future Of The Mac Is The iPad <http://www.applematters.com/article/the-future-of-the-mac-is-the-ipad/>
Hadley Stern, Apple Matters

**** A Prettier Way To Browse The Social Web <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/21/a-prettier-way-to-browse-the-social-web/?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Claire Cain Miller, New York Times

Flipboard, a start-up that is unveiling its iPad app on Wednesday, builds a personalized magazine full of updates, photos and articles shared by a reader’s friends or by people they choose to follow on Twitter and Facebook. Soon it plans to incorporate material from other sources, such as Flickr, Foursquare, Yelp and perhaps e-mail messages and attachments.

**** Apple's Pricing Shows Another Sign Of Heavy Competition <http://www.marketwatch.com/story/apples-agressive-pricing-a-sign-of-competition-2010-07-20>
MarketWatch

Apple Inc. may have reported blow-out numbers for its third fiscal quarter on Tuesday, but the company gave an interesting indication of the heavy competition it is facing in the mobile-device category.

**** Review: Contribute CS5 <http://www.macworld.com/reviews/product/464070/review/contribute_cs5.html?expand=true&lsrc=rss_main>
Tom Negrino, Macworld

**** Bad Translation Makes Fundamentalists Of Us All <http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belief/2010/jul/20/translation-arabic-language-fundamentalist-muslim?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Marie Dhumières, The Guardian

Fundamentalist Muslims, devout Muslims, moderate Muslims, part-time Muslims, Christians, Atheists – no one has an entire conversation without saying at the very least "Inshallah", which literally means "God willing" and comes from the idea that you never know what God's plan is. It can be used as much as you want, even if you're not really thinking about God's plans at that very moment.

**** The Universe Owes Me A Daughter <http://www.salon.com/life/feature/2010/07/20/daughter_parenting_boys_open2010/index.html>
Rachel Coyne, Salon

When I was in the fifth grade I named my first daughter. I picked "Bailey" and lavished upon this completely imagined child an entire fictional life. Thoughts of the how or when or why she was conceived never entered my 12-year-old mind. I never bothered to dream up a father for her. She appeared whole — nearly the same age as I was at the time — and allowed me to mother her. I pictured myself older, thinner, beautiful and independent. She traveled with me to the markets in Prague and Africa and to meet the president. I wrote books in my spare time, and together we made collaborative collage art that hung on the walls of the Met.

**** The Web Means The End Of Forgetting <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/25/magazine/25privacy-t2.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Jeffrey Rosen, New York Times

We’ve known for years that the Web allows for unprecedented voyeurism, exhibitionism and inadvertent indiscretion, but we are only beginning to understand the costs of an age in which so much of what we say, and of what others say about us, goes into our permanent — and public — digital files. The fact that the Internet never seems to forget is threatening, at an almost existential level, our ability to control our identities; to preserve the option of reinventing ourselves and starting anew; to overcome our checkered pasts.

**** Court Proceedings Initiated Against Author <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC100721-0000088/Court-proceedings-initiated-against-author>
Zul Othman, Today

Court proceedings have been initiated against British writer Alan Shadrake because of certain passages in his book, which the Attorney-General's Chambers (AGC) says "scandalise the Singapore Judiciary".

In court documents obtained by MediaCorp yesterday, the AGC is alleging that several passages in Shadrake's book contain allegations and insinuations that the Singapore Judiciary "in determining whether to sentence an accused person to death, succumbs to political and economic pressures" and therefore "lacks independence".

Shadrake also insinuated that the Judiciary "has been facilitating the suppression of political dissent and criticism in Singapore through the award of heavy damages in defamation actions brought without legal basis by the People's Action Party", the AGC says.

**** Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word <http://siewkumhong.blogspot.com/2010/07/sorry-seems-to-be-hardest-word.html>
Siew Kum Hong

Making the same mistake again only suggests that nothing has been learnt from the first mistake, and that is unforgivable. Not confronting the truth squarely and admitting errors simply means that the problem has not been openly acknowledged and so will not be fixed.

**** Dr Lim Hock Siew <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=4214>
Wong Wee Nam, Sgpolitics.net

Dr Lim Hock Siew may or may not be a sage but he must be a remarkable man. He was stored away for 20 years and then led a quiet life for the next 28 years. Yet when he made his speech at a book launch, he created enough anxiety for the video to be banned.

Truly remarkable!

**** Marina Barrage's Role Questioned <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_555804.html>
Tam Ah Hock, Straits Times

Can PUB explain how effective it has been in controlling flooding in Singapore? In fact, we see more floods after the barrage was built.

**** Residents Jittery Over What The Next Storm Will Bring <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC100721-0000097/Residents-jittery-over-what-the-next-storm-will-bring>
Leong Wee Keat, Today

Three days after their basements were flooded, residents of this Bukit Timah development still do not have electricity supply to their homes.

**** Legalising Same-sex Marriage: Argentina Beats Singapore <http://thinkingbetterthinkingmeta.blogspot.com/2010/07/legalising-same-sex-marriage-argentina.html>
Sam Ho, Sam's thoughts

I am perplexed that there exist Singaporeans who believe self-identified homosexuals are dangerous people, hence deserving of criminalisation, censorship, defamation and abuse.

**** 业者反应:雅柏中心翻新后生意不如从前 <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp100721_021.shtml>
联合早报

花了17个月翻新的雅柏中心虽然更大、更宽敞,但有店主表示生意较以前逊色。

**** 修改地铁线资助架构 <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp100721_016.shtml>
联合早报

快捷交通系统(修正)法案昨天在国会提出一读,以修改地铁线资助架构以及赋予陆路交通管理局更大权力,为衔接无间的综合式公共交通系统铺路。

**** Reveal PM Lee's Terms, 'worried' Azmin Urges Najib <http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&fd=R&usg=AFQjCNGbZOXCF7yAW40ZglEKW0HIoQ5Utg&url=http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/fmt-english/politics/barisan-nasional/7205-reveal-pm-lees-terms-worried-azmin-urges-najib>
Free Malaysia Today

Responding to prime minister Najib Tun Razak's statement that Malaysia will conclude its deal with Singapore by September, PKR vice-president Azmin Ali said it was odd that Singapore agreed with Malaysia on several contentious issues if they (Singapore) were not getting what they want.

**** The New Cross-Border (Book) Trade Between Malaysia And Singapore <https://airkosong.com/_/2010/07/20/the-new-cross-border-book-trade-between-malaysia-and-singapore/>
Airkosong.com

Booksellers in Malaysia, time for your contribution to the freedom of Singaporeans now, and make money from it.

**** 对新加坡社会和谐的初步认识 <http://news.china.com.cn/rollnews/2010-07/21/content_3346673.htm>
曹爱华, 人民网

社会和谐是现代化国家高度文明的重要标志,是经济持续发展的必要条件。新加坡是在上世纪60年代,脱离马来西亚,英军宣布撤离,经济基础脆弱,失业率高;政治党派纷争,矛盾重重;思想意识形态多元、种族冲突严重的背景下建立的新生国家。他们致力于社会和谐建设取得的成功经验给我们带来了一些有益启示。

**** Check Carefully Who You Murder In Singapore <http://theimpudentobserver.com/world-news/check-carefully-who-you-murder-in-singapore/>
Fred Stopsky, The Impudent Observer

It is unusual to be charged with “contempt of court” prior to entering a court and being charged with a crime, but this only goes to demonstrate a double standard does exist.

**** The Great Singapore Flood, Parliament And How about “Sorry?” <http://lostinsingapore.com/2010/07/the-great-singapore-flood-parliament-and-how-about-sorry/>
Lost In Singapore

**** Singapore Wooing UEC Holders <http://www.thesundaily.com/article.cfm?id=49630>
Kong See Hoh, The Sun

Singapore has been making concerted efforts to woo Malaysian Chinese independent school leavers in recent years.

Among others, the island republic waives entrance examinations and doles out scholarships, permanent residency or even citizenship to absorb the crème la de crème of the Malaysian Chinese education.

**** Drugs, Death, Censorship, And Singapore <http://econlog.econlib.org/archives/2010/07/drugs_death_cen.html>
Bryan Caplan, EconLog

Singapore doesn't just execute drug dealers; it censors and arrests those who expose the ghoulish process.

**** Waking Up In Singapore <http://www.jewishjournal.com/opinion/article/waking_up_in_singapore_20100720/>
Reuven Firestone, The Jewish Journal

There is a lot bubbling up in the Muslim world these days, and contrary to the expectations of many of us, the news is not all bad. Don’t be put off by the hijabs and the turbans. Women make up a dynamic part of the young Muslim leadership in Singapore, and they challenged the scholars in the Q-and-A in a way that I would like to see in my own students. Speaking of waking up from a deep sleep and wondering where I am, we should all wake up and see the Muslim reality beyond the stereotypes. And we need to respond to the outstretched hands of the growing community of Muslims in the United States and abroad who are working toward making this world better for everyone.

**** SDP - Competent. Constructive. Compassionate. (Part I) <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/perspective/vantage/3948-sdp-competent-constructive-compassionate-part-i->
Singapore Democrat Party

**** MM Lee Says No Amount Of Engineering Can Prevent Flooding <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1070718/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

The minister mentor acknowledged that Singapore and Singaporeans expect everything to be perfect in the country and he said the leaders tried their best to do just that.

Mr Lee added: "Somethings are beyond (that); it's an act of God unless you want to lose half the roads and have canals."