[MyAppleMenu] Jul 17, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jul 17 18:59:00 EDT 2010

**** Loosening The iPhone Death Grip <http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/16/loosening-the-iphone-death-grip/>
David Pogue, New York Times

Predictably, Mr. Jobs’s gesture did nothing to satisfy the most vocal Apple bashers, who insist that the 3 million iPhone 4’s sold so far should be recalled. (But to what end? There’s no hardware fix to put in place.)

Most reasonable people, however, will agree that this is a decent good-faith gesture on Apple’s part.

**** Antennagate <http://unweary.com/2010/07/antennagate.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+davidweiss+%28David+Weiss%29>
David Weiss

I think the real reason for the free bumper concession was Apple's legal department.

**** Jobs Calls Bloomberg Story 'Total Bull,' Says NYT 'Making Things Up' <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/07/16/jobs_calls_bloomberg_story_total_bull_says_nyt_making_things_up.html>
AppleInsider

**** Lost iPhone Warrant Withdrawn, Gizmodo Agrees To Cooperate In Investigation <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/07/16/lost-iphone-warrant-withdrawn-gizmodo-agrees-to-cooperate-in-in/>
Mike Schramm, TUAW

**** Apple Takes On Antenna Issues <http://www.macworld.com/article/152758/2010/07/apple_antenna_effective.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

On the whole, Apple successfully addressed criticisms leveled at it by press and reviewers, reassured customers of its great affection for them, and offered a problem-solving case to anyone who wants one, free of charge. If you can forget about Steve Jobs's infamous "don't hold it that way" e-mail, and if you can move past the bizarre "the signal bars are wrong" faux-solution, the company finally managed to come up with a response that addressed the controversy pretty well.

**** Apple Posts iPhone 4 Antenna Comparisons, Test Lab Overview <http://www.macworld.com/article/152759/2010/07/apple_antenna_comparison.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Nicholas Levin, Macworld

**** Apple To Provide Free Cases To iPhone 4 Owners <http://blogs.consumerreports.org/electronics/2010/07/apple-iphone-4-iphone4-free-bumpers-for-antenna-problem-signal-loss-issue-flaw-press-conference-news-consumer-reports-ratings.html>
Mel Martin, TUAW

Consumer Reports believes Apple's offer of free cases is a good first step. However, Apple has indicated that this is not a long-term solution, it has guaranteed the offer only through September 30th, and has not extended it unequivocally to customers who bought cases from third-party vendors. We look forward to a long-term fix from Apple.

**** iPhone 4 Press Conference – The Post-Game Wrapup <http://ihnatko.com/2010/07/16/iphone-4-press-conference-the-post-game-wrapup/>
Andy Ihnatko's Celestial Waste of Bandwidth (BETA)

**** Bugs & Fixes: Two iTunes Tips <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=8f885bdcc2e2a414142cbdaeaff855d6>
Ted Landau, Macworld

**** iPhone 4 Antenna: Unanswered Questions, Unearned Trust <http://feeds.arstechnica.com/~r/arstechnica/apple/~3/LPAg15iTLbE/unanswered-questions-unearned-trust.ars>
John Siracusa, Ars Technica

Apple would have earned a lot more trust if it'd been more forthcoming about what I consider to be the obvious questions about the iPhone 4's use of an external antenna. Apple did point out the "easy target" created by the black line between antennas, but didn't go a step further and talk frankly about any possible trade-offs of the antenna design itself.

**** Inside Apple's Once-secret Wireless Lab <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=4cc37742f651ce6fa9af0f047fe41f9d>
Jason Snell, Macworld

After Friday morning’s Apple press conference about the iPhone 4 and its antenna issues, Apple executives took a small group of journalists (11 all told, including myself) on a tour of the company’s wireless-testing facilities. We were, the executives said, the first outsiders allowed into the area, a spot off-limits to most Apple employees. Even our escorts from Apple’s PR department said they hadn’t been in there before.

**** Sharing Excess Gains: Temasek Replies <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_554520.html>
Myrna Thomas, Temasek Holdings, Straits Times

We recognise there may be some interest to co-invest with Temasek. We are exploring such possibilities, particularly for co-investors who have a long-term investment horizon and the ability to tolerate the volatility. We will share these ideas when we are ready.

As for sharing returns with the wider community, Temasek has committed more than $1 billion since inception to community, philanthropic and public good causes. We have, since 2003, formalised our commitment to set aside a share of our returns for community contributions whenever we deliver returns above our risk-adjusted hurdles.

**** Flash Floods In Low-lying Areas Of S'pore Receded <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1069901/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

The Singapore Civil Defence Force says the flash floods at all affected areas have receded.

There were flash floods in several low-lying areas in Singapore as a result of heavy rain Saturday morning. SCDF officers evacuated some 60 people in about 20 different locations islandwide.

**** Delfi Flooded Again <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_554657.html>
Straits Times

After being hit by the worst flooding in 26 years last month, Delfi Orchard was again flooded on Saturday morning.

A tenant of the building, Ms Shanta Sundarason, said she arrived to work to find the basement three carpark flooded with 'waist-deep' waters. 'It would be nice for the problem to be addressed and dealt with, rather than a sweeping statement from the ministry,' she added.