[MyAppleMenu] Jul 6, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jul 6 18:59:01 EDT 2010

**** Transferring An iPhone Restore File <http://www.macworld.com/article/152498/2010/07/transfer_iphone_restore.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** Pair Of App Store Studies Show Apple Is The Devs' Choice, For Now <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/07/05/pair-of-app-store-studies-show-apple-is-the-devs-choice-for-no/>
Mike Schramm, TUAW

**** Why Suing Apple Hasn’t Worked And Never Will <http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/07/04/apple.often.ignores.lawsuit.effects/>
Electronista

Yes, lawsuits get the attention of the media and they force Apple to respond at some point, but time and again, they fail to deliver any measurable reward for those that are bringing the lawsuit against an organization. And even then, the reward doesn't come for months or years until the court finally has time to make a decision -- by which point the lawsuit could be a non-issue.

**** Is AT&T Capping iPhone Upload Speeds? Inquiring Minds Want To Know <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/07/05/is-atandt-capping-iphone-upload-speeds-inquiring-minds-want-to-kn/>
Erica Sadun, TUAW

So why the sudden change?

**** Is An iPad A Useful Business Tool? <http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/small-business/3888045/Is-an-iPad-a-useful-business-tool>
Alexandra Cain, Business Day

The new Apple iPad is a curious device. While many small business owners are sceptical about its use in a business context and are still trying to understand why they need yet another piece of technology, others are evangelical about its benefits.

**** Government Spends Thousands On iPhone Apps <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/10514367.stm>
BBC

BBC News has learnt that the Government has spent tens of thousands of pounds developing iPhone applications.

A Freedom of Information (FOI) request revealed that development costs ranged from £10,000 - £40,000.

**** Apple iPhone 3G Is 'Most Recycled' Phone <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/mobile-phones/7874631/Apple-iPhone-3G-is-most-recycled-phone.html>
Telegraph

Sell My Mobile, a mobile phone recycling price comparison site, reports that the iPhone 3G, Apple’s second-generation handset, is the most popular phone to be recycled in the UK this month, with owners getting up to £170 in exchange for their unwanted iPhone.

**** Apple May Face EU Antitrust Probe <http://www.loopinsight.com/2010/07/06/apple-may-face-eu-antitrust-probe/>
Jim Dalrymple, The Loop

**** Chrome Starts Learning Which Way Is Up <http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20009679-264.html?part=rss&amp;subj=news&amp;tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
Stephen Shankland, CNET

Google has begun work on a new item on a long list of technologies designed to make applications running on the Web more competitive with those that run natively on a machine's operating system: an interface to know which way is up.

**** In Search Of Coconut Milk <http://dilbert.com/blog/entry/in_search_of_coconut_milk/>
Scott Adams, Dilbert.com

My assignment was to pick up a few items from the grocery store. You should understand in advance that I'm not the designated shopper in our family. I suffer from a condition called CFS (Can't Find Shit).

**** Your Money Or Your Logic <http://wordplay.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/05/numberplay-your-money-or-your-logic/?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Gary Antonick, New York Times

Would you pay $20 for an envelope containing either $10 or $40?

**** "Losing Our Cool": The High Price Of Staying Cool <http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2010/07/05/losing_our_cool_air_conditioning_ext2010/index.html>
Ryan Brown, Salon

How air conditioning changed the American landscape, transformed our politics, and is endangering our health.

**** Wissahickon Schist <http://www.slate.com/id/2259548/?from=rss>
Karl Kirchwey, Slate Magazine

**** LTA Checks Overhead Bridges At Least Once A Year <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1067707/1/.html>
Hetty Musfirah Abdul Khamid, Channel NewsAsia

The Land Transport Authority (LTA) says it has a comprehensive maintenance system for all overhead bridges. It gives this assurance amid concerns over the safety of old bridges, after a crane struck one such bridge.

**** I Am Singaporean IV – Never Good Enough <http://sturmdesjahrhunderts.wordpress.com/2010/07/05/i-am-singaporean-iv-never-good-enough/>
Die neue Welle

What is wrong is the very reason why he should not be a politician. Lim Swee Say is a straight-talker – he shoots off his mouth without sending his thoughts through Central Processing. What he has said ia something which everyone actually knows, i.e., that one can always be better, but never wants to hear in cleartext, since it reduces happiness.

**** Chee: Have Clear Guidelines Of What Constitutes Speech <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/3883-chee-have-clear-guidelines-of-what-constitutes-speech>
Singapore Democrat Party

Dr Chee Soon Juan asked for clear guidelines from the courts as to what constitutes a speech. The SDP leader made this call in his closing submissions today to District Judge Jill Tan.

**** Some Commuters Were Unaware Of Closure <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC100706-0000098/Some-commuters-were-unaware-of-closure>
Ng Jing Yng, Today

The six-hour closure of Bukit Timah Road began at 2pm on Saturday, to facilitate the removal of affected portions of the bridge, but even as evening came, some motorists heading in that direction were still unaware about the situation.

Some commuters at affected bus stops were also left none the wiser that the buses they were waiting for had been diverted. And they are fuming about their experience over the weekend.

**** Ferrying Workers By Lorry: Cost Not A Reason <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_549983.html>
Sha Najak, Transient Workers Count Too, Straits Times

National servicemen are transported in trucks with canopies as well as seatbelts. Foreign workers are transported in lorries without seat belts and often without canopies too.

**** Carrefour Said To Seek Buyers For Southeast Asia Units <http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-07-05/carrefour-said-to-seek-buyers-for-southeast-asia-units-update-.html>
Cathy Chan and Andrew Roberts, Bloomberg

Carrefour SA, Europe’s biggest retailer, plans to exit Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand and is seeking offers for its operations in the Southeast Asian countries, according to four people familiar with the matter.

**** DBS Rules Out Sabotage <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_550091.html>
Straits Times

DBS has ruled out sabotage in its largest ever system breakdown on Monday, which crippled its entire consumer banking services for at least seven hours.

**** In Defence Of Decency <http://juhauitto.blogspot.com/2010/07/in-defence-of-decency.html>
Juha Uitto

It seems indisputable from the evidence of places like Switzerland, Japan, Singapore and, yes, my country of origin, Finland, that wealth and its relatively even distribution, high levels of education throughout the population, and a strong government are good for the environment and well-being of the people.

**** A Fallacy – The Singapore Dream – We Are All Just GDP Oompa Loompas <http://nabbedd.wordpress.com/2010/07/06/a-fallacy-the-singapore-dream-we-are-all-just-gdp-oompa-loompas/>
It's all about Amelioration

The government sees Singapore as a globalized city, it’s time that we should see ourselves as globalized citizens too or forever be that Oompa Loompa trapped in a well.

**** Singapore Keeps Experimenting <http://muhammadcohen.wordpress.com/2010/07/05/singapore-keeps-experimenting/>
Muhammad Cohen

**** Malaysian FM: “If I Save One Life, It Will Give Me Great Satisfaction” <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/07/malaysian-fm-“if-i-save-one-life-it-will-give-me-great-satisfaction”/>
Choo Zheng Xi, The Online Citizen

**** DBS Could Face MAS Action <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_550092.html>
Straits Times

DBS could face possible action from the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) over its banking systems failure on Monday, which left scores of customers and businesses fuming. Responding to media queries, MAS suggested that supervisory action might be taken to ensure a bank's compliance to IT guidelines.

**** Malaysia Seeks Singapore Pardon For Trafficker <http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hxGG7bPTxotzvB3jfaEAV1kNC0pQ>
AFP

Malaysia will plead with neighbouring Singapore to spare the life of a drug trafficker who has been sentenced to death in the city state, according to reports Tuesday. Both Malaysia and Singapore have tough anti-drug laws and rarely seek clemency for nationals facing drug charges in the the other country.

**** Get Your Basics Right First, DBS <http://leechongmeng.wordpress.com/2010/07/05/get-your-basics-right-first-dbs/>
Investment Marathoner

Just last week, Lee Kuan Yew raised the possibility of merger of local banks. But. if a merger is to be carried out, DBS will probably be out of the picture with its latest debacle.

**** Shame, This Ugly Singapore Slam <http://trulysingapore.wordpress.com/2010/07/05/shame-this-ugly-singapore-slam/>
Truly Singapore

So when you ask us to choose what is right, we need not choose love or hate, we can simply choose indifference. Because we have the right to feel indifferent to an event that genuinely does not tug at our heartstrings. We refuse to accept the cheapening of what it means to be Singaporean to be forced upon us.

**** A Genuine Slice Of Malaysia In The Heart Of Singapore <http://uk.asiancorrespondent.com/the-asia-file/a-genuine-slice-of-malaysia-in-the-heart-of-singapore>
Ben Bland, Asian Correspondent

**** Future Generations Will Pay For The Sins Of PAP <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/07/future-generations-will-pay-for-the-sins-of-pap/>
Ng E-Jay, The Online Citizen

After the PAP has milked the Singapore system for what it is worth, I fear that future generations of Singaporeans will be faced with a hollowed out economy and slow growth rates that will not match their expectations. I fear that many people, especially those just embarking on their careers, will not be able to afford to retire peacefully when they grow old. They will be faced with an overcrowded city, lack of job opportunities, rising inflation, and poor economic prospects.

**** Tesco, Big C, Dairy Farm, Japanese Supermarkets Keen On Carrefour SE Asia Assets -Sources <http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100706-701520.html>
P.R. Venkat and Costas Paris, Dow Jones

Leading supermarket chains are interested in the assets of French hypermarket Carrefour SA in Singapore, Thailand and Malaysia, two people with direct knowledge of the deal said Tuesday.

**** Trade Talks Between Singapore And EU Well On Track <http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/news/333358,singapore-eu-well-track.html>
DPA

Trade negotiations between Singapore and the European Union are on track with an agreement expected by next year, an EU official said Tuesday.

**** Demography, Not Immigration, Part 3 <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2010/07/06/demography-not-immigration-part-3/>
Yawning Bread

We clearly need to raise such a worker’s income from S$1,500 a month to S$3,000 as part of a wholistic approach to our demographic crisis. But how? The latest mantra is productivity improvement. But even though it will make a difference, I frankly do not see this as sufficient to close the gap.

**** S'porean Detained Under ISA, 2 Others On Restriction Order <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1067829/1/.html>
Mustafa Shafawi, Channel NewsAsia

A 20-year-old Singaporean Muhammad Fadil Abdul Hamid has been detained for two years under the Internal Security Act (ISA). The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) said he is a full-time national serviceman in the SAF.

Muhammad Fadil was detained under the ISA on April 4.

**** How Many Wolves Are There In Singapore Sheep? <http://military-life.blogspot.com/2010/07/how-many-wolves-are-there-in-singapore.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2FOnPU+%28Military+Life%29>
Military Life: Memoirs of a Conscript in the Lion City

How sure are we about the loyalty of conscripts? Perhaps it is timely to review if a fully-volunteer system replace conscription that feeds the Army's insatiable appetite for the two plus ten years of annual ICT from male citizens.

**** Islandwide ATM Disruptions To DBS-POSB Machines Caused By Systems Outage: IBM <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1067846/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

Monday's islandwide DBS-POSB ATM disruptions were the result of a systems outage said the bank's vendor IBM.

**** Singapore's Top Dissident Keeps Talking <http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/LG07Ae01.html>
Muhammad Cohen, Asia Times

Chee Soon Juan just won't shut up. The Singapore establishment's most frequently harassed dissident has been fired, jailed, sued, beaten mercilessly - in elections - barred from traveling, and, he claims, drugged. But Chee still keeps making noise as leader of the Singapore Democratic Party (SDP).

**** MFA Spokesman's Comments In Response To Media Queries On The Case Of Yong Vui Kong <http://app.mfa.gov.sg/2006/press/view_press_email.asp?post_id=6183>
Ministry Of Foreign Affairs, Singapore Government

In response to media queries on the case of Yong Vui Kong, the MFA spokesman said that MFA is aware of the media reports on the issue. However, MFA has yet to receive any request for clemency from the Malaysian government.

**** BP Approaching SWFs Over Strategic Stake-UAE Source <http://af.reuters.com/article/energyOilNews/idAFLDE6650IA20100706?sp=true>
Amena Bakr and Nicolas Parasie, Reuters

British oil company BP has approached sovereign wealth funds with a view to securing a strategic investor to fend off takeover bids while it deals with its massive U.S. oil spill, a senior UAE source said on Tuesday.

BP executives have held talks with a number of sovereign wealth funds (SWFs) including Abu Dhabi, Kuwait, Qatar and Singapore, the source told Reuters under condition of anonymity.

**** Government Expects To Spend S$387m On YOG <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1067861/1/.html>
Mustafa Shafawi, Channel NewsAsia

The Singapore government now expects to spend S$387 million on the inaugural Youth Olympic Games (YOG). It was initially estimated to cost about S$122 million.