[MyAppleMenu] Jul 4, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jul 4 18:59:01 EDT 2010

**** BGR: Apple Is Wrong, That Steve Jobs Email Exchange Was Real <http://techcrunch.com/2010/07/03/bgr-apple-jobs-email/>
Jason Kincaid, TechCrunch

Now BGR has posted a followup story maintaining that the email exchange was real, save for that one misattributed message, and they’re basically calling Apple’s PR team liars.

**** FaceTime And Why Apple's Massive Integration Advantage Is Just Beginning <http://techcrunch.com/2010/07/03/facetime-and-why-apples-massive-integration-advantage-is-just-beginning/>
Steve Cheney, TechCrunch

Below the surface of hardware / software, Apple is on the cusp of differentiating on a much deeper level, a result of its strategy to vertically integrate at the component level. The advantages of integrating so deeply are subtle but incredibly powerful.

**** Parisians Storm Apple's Newest Store <http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/07/03/parisians-storm-apples-newest-store/>
Philip Elmer-DeWitt, Fortune

Set in a restored bank across Rue Halevy from the gilded Palais Garnier -- longtime home of the Opera de Paris -- the store eschews the usual bland Apple retail ambiance in favor of the site's original architectural detail -- the mosaic tile floor, the marble columns, the curving balustrade, the wrought-iron spiral staircases, the long narrow skylight.

**** iTunes Accounts Hacking More Widespread Than Initially Thought. The Facts, And What You Should Do. <http://thenextweb.com/apple/2010/07/04/appstore-hack-itunes/>
The Next Web

We’ve received and discovered a number of reports of accounts being hacked and used to make purchases on iTunes.

**** Fine Distinctions <http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2010/07/04/fine_distinctions/?rss_id=Boston+Globe+--+Ideas+section>
Jan Freeman, Boston Globe

Can we really tell ‘genuine’ from ‘authentic’?

**** Bukit Timah Bridge Incident – Commuters Left Stranded <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/07/bukit-timah-bridge-incident-commuters-left-stranded/>
The Online Citizen

I think the entire experience casts a huge doubt over our public transport system’s ability to deal with “unforeseen circumstances”.

Although there was crisis management in the form of diverting traffic, the lack of accountability and communication just reeks of irresponsibility and ineptness to me. In the near-six hours of crisis, it seems that some people did not respond critically.

**** Opposition Party Fined For Selling Party Newspaper <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/07/opposition-party-fined-for-selling-party-newspaper/>
The Online Citizen

“An officer called me up and told me that there is only licence for individuals who are from the low income group to do mobile hawking,” NSP secretary-general, Mr Goh Meng Seng, told The Online Citizen. “Apparently there isn’t any license for political party like ours to conduct our political outreach. However, our activity is deemed as ‘illegal hawking’. I told him to write to me officially to state his stand. I have not received his official letter so far.”

**** LTA Weighing Options On Crane-hit Pedestrian Bridge <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1067543/1/.html>
Liang Kaixin, Channel NewsAsia

Authorities have not yet decided what to do with a pedestrian bridge that was damaged by a crane on Saturday. The Land Transport Authority (LTA) told MediaCorp that it will assess the extent of damage and weigh its options before making its decision.

**** Face-Off Over Health Care <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703802404575342513739843180.html>
Peter Stein, Wall Street Journal

The tale of rival Indian and Malaysian bidders for a Singapore-based health-care chain might be described as "same hospital bed, different dreams."

**** Riding The Rails Of Malaysia, In Singapore <http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2001294,00.html?xid=rss-world&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+time%2Fworld+%28TIME%3A+Top+World+Stories%29>
Neel Chowdhury, Time

The Tanjong Pagar station has long been an irritation to Singapore, a physical reminder of Malaysia's former sovereignty over the island nation.

**** Lee Kuan Yew: PAP Will Give “Priority” To Citizens <http://www.temasekreview.com/2010/07/04/lee-kuan-yew-pap-will-give-priority-to-citizens/>
The Temasek Review

It is obvious that Lee has not been reading the papers lately which are full of reports of construction workers, cleaners, masseurs and even prostitutes being given PRs and citizenships by the PAP. How these “foreign talents” are better “educated’ and will bring “new skills” to Singapore is anybody’s guess.