[MyAppleMenu] Jul 2, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Jul 2 18:59:01 EDT 2010

**** Disney Buys Tapulous, Maker Of Game Apps <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/02/technology/02tap.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Jenna Wortham, New York Times

The Walt Disney Company said on Thursday that it had bought Tapulous, a start-up company that makes music-based games for the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.

With the number of downloads through Apple’s App Store topping five billion, many companies see mobile applications as a promising business. Big companies like IAC/InterActiveCorp, Amazon.com and now Disney have bought start-ups that have track records in the market.

**** Apple Calls At Least One Reported Jobs E-mail Fake <http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20009430-260.html>
Erica Ogg, CNET News

Jobs has been e-mailing an awful lot if all the reports are to be believed, but this is the first time that Apple has called one of the reported correspondences a fake.

It's time for Steve Jobs to use a digital signature. Can he do it on his iPhone and iPad?

**** Blu-ray Apparently Isn't Coming To Macs <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20009391-17.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
Don Reisinger, CNET News

**** HoudahSpot 3.0 Brings File-tagging To Spotlight Search <http://www.macworld.com/article/152458/2010/07/houdahspot_3.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Marco Tabini, Macworld

Houdah Software has introduced version 3.0 of HoudahSpot, a Spotlight replacement that allows users to perform powerful, complex searches on their filesystems.

**** Why Apple's iPhone 4 Bumper Case Is A Rip-off <http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2010/07/iphone-4-bumper-case-review-solution-or-rip-off.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Aurich Lawson, Ars Technica

If Apple ever decided to sell the Bumpers in a pack like it used to do with the old iPod socks, it wouldn't be a bad way to switch up your phone colors on a whim. Until then, buyer beware: you need to really want one in order to feel satisfied with the purchase.

**** Multiple Class Action Suits Filed Over iPhone 4 Antenna <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/07/multiple-class-action-suits-filed-over-iphone-4-antenna-flaw.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Chris Foresman, Ars Technica

Not to be left out, a New Jersey resident and a Massachusetts resident both filed similar independent lawsuits in California.

**** Test Results: iPhone 4 Battery Life <http://www.macworld.com/article/152460/2010/07/iphone4_battery.html?lsrc=rss_main>
James Galbraith, Macworld

The results show that the iPhone 4 does indeed last an appreciably longer time.

**** Helping FaceTime Coexist With Your Firewall <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/07/01/helping-facetime-coexist-with-your-firewall/>
Mel Martin, TUAW

Got the FaceTime blues? It could be your router's firewall settings. Apple has posted a support document noting that some routers using firewalls, security software or other restrictive settings will require a settings change.

**** Apple's Interactive iAds Begin To Appear In iPhone Apps <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/07/01/apples_interactive_iads_begin_to_appear_in_iphone_apps.html>
AppleInsider

While ads began to appear in some applications, not all of the iAd network has have gone live.

**** "Just Avoid Holding It That Way" <http://www.slate.com/id/2258797/?from=rss>
Farhad Manjoo, Slate Magazine

If the advantage of having Jobs speak for the company is his ability to rise above PR-speak, the disadvantage is that he sometimes spins the truth to an absurd degree.

**** Why iAd Won’t Meet Steve Jobs’ Expectations <http://gigaom.com/2010/06/30/why-iad-wont-meet-steve-jobs-expectations/>
Colin Gibbs, GigaOM

There are far too many established, innovative players for Cupertino to capture nearly half the space by the end of the year.

**** Apple's iPhone 4: More Than Hype <http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2010/06/iphone-4-review.html>
Mark Milian, Los Angeles Times

With a growing army of competitors, the iPhone is no longer the strange visitor from the future it was three years ago. But it keeps pace with the competition and exceeds in some respects, sporting the full package of an elegantly made, easy-to-use smart phone that still bears a great deal of influence on the rest of the industry.

**** I4: Broken Glass (Update: Apple Fixed It) <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/i4-broken-glass-update-apple-fixed-it/7406>
Jason D. O'Grady, ZDNet

**** Apple Safari 5 <http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/review/1719836/apple-safari>
Lawrence Latif, Inquirer

With Safari 5 it's clear that Apple is aiming to improve its browser with largely unseen features. The most obvious feature, Reader, isn't particularly new but where Apple is really pushing the boat out is with its HTML5 support, Safari developer programme, domain name service (DNS) tweaks and support for hardware acceleration.

**** The Apple-AT&T Class Action Suit Should Have Come Years Ago <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/the-apple-at-t-class-action-suit-should-have-come-years-ago/36450>
Sam Diaz, ZDNet

Why did it take so long for an iPhone owner to drag these two companies into court? After all, reception has consistently been bad on the iPhone in some regions for as long as the two have been selling it.

**** Apple Lets Google Sell Targeted Ads <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704525704575341233044488898.html?mod=googlenews_wsj>
Yukari Iwatani Kane And Amir Efrati, Wall Street Journal

Apple Inc. doesn't appear to have barred Google Inc. and others from selling targeted ads inside iPhone and iPad applications, after implying several weeks ago that it might do so.

Software developers say their new and updated applications are getting approved by Apple, even though the apps are enabled to serve ads by third-party ad networks such as Google's Mobile Adsense and AdMob.

**** iPhone's Exchange Woes Aren't Over <http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9178805/iPhone_s_Exchange_woes_aren_t_over?taxonomyId=86>
Nancy Gohring, IDG News Service

Apple posted the workaround earlier this week. But according to a Microsoft blog post on Thursday, Apple appears to be working on a more complete solution. "Apple has assured us that a fix is being worked on, though they have not commented on a release timeline for the fix," Adam Glick, senior technical product manager at Microsoft, wrote in a blog post Thursday.

**** Hands-on With IMovie For iPhone 4 <http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2010/07/hands-on-with-imovie-for-iphone-4.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

If you're dead serious about creating the next big Sundance masterpiece, iMovie probably won't be worth the $5 download. For those who just want to stick a basic title, some theme music, and some aesthetically inoffensive transitions into their iPhone movies, however, it's not a bad piece of software.

**** Turning The iPhone Glitch Into Gold <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jun2010/tc20100630_314087.htm>
Adam Satariano, BusinessWeek

When complaints surfaced that the antenna wasn't working properly on the iPhone 4, Apple (AAPL) told users to hold the device differently or put it in a protective case. Some owners called the response insensitive. Makers of iPhone accessories, on the other hand, welcomed it.

**** Some iPhone 4 Cameras Have Yellowing Problem <http://www.macworld.com/article/152434/2010/07/iphone4flashissues.html>
Heather Kelly, Macworld

The iPhone’s 5-megapixel camera will take crisp daylight and brightly lit indoor photos that show colors accurately, but then have issues correctly capturing images in low light with, or without, the LED flash.

**** Review: iStat Menus 3 <http://www.mactropolis.com/software/software-reviews/review-istat-menus-3/>
Alex Jordan, Mactropolis

**** Translation From Apple’s Unique Dialect Of PR-Speak To English Of The ‘Letter From Apple Regarding iPhone 4’ <http://daringfireball.net/2010/07/translation_iphone_4>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

Don’t fuck this thing up for us. We mean, have you seen the Retina Display?

**** Letter From Apple Regarding iPhone 4 <http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/07/02appleletter.html?sr=hotnews.rss>
Apple

Upon investigation, we were stunned to find that the formula we use to calculate how many bars of signal strength to display is totally wrong.

**** Apple Says iPhone 4 Algorithm Is To Blame, Not Antenna <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/07/apple-says-iphone-4-algorithm-is-to-blame-not-signal.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

Apple has issued an official statement about the iPhone 4 antenna issue, attributing the problem to a mistake in the formula that calculates the number of bars to display. Apple says that a software update will be available "within a few weeks" that will correct the issue, not only for the iPhone 4, but also the 3GS and 3G.

**** A Kitchen Countertop With A Brain <http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/25694/?ref=rss&a=f>
Tom Simonite, Technology Review

A depth-sensing camera and palm-top projector turn an ordinary work surface into interactive one.

**** Why Do Babies Smile? <http://www.slate.com/id/2258663/?from=rss>
Nicholas Day, Slate Magazine

Smiling may be how we begin to communicate about the world outside of us, rather than how we express our inner state.

**** Architecture In The Age Of Gehry <http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2010/08/architecture-survey-201008>
Matt Tyrnauer, Vanity Fair

It is rare that a single building can be judged a transformational work.

**** Parental Instead Of Maternity <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_548385.html>
Rachel Chang, Straits Times

Converting maternity leave to parental leave, which would allow either parent to take paid time off to care for a newborn baby, would 'possibly be a step in the right direction', Dr Vivian Balakrishnan said at a dialogue on Wednesday.

**** Banning Lorries For Transport Is Wrong <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_548456.html>
Tan Lek Lek , Straits Times

If army personnel can be transported by lorries, why not workers?

**** A Last Look At Kallang As It Was <http://thelongnwindingroad.wordpress.com/2010/07/01/a-last-look-at-kallang-as-it-was/>
The Long and Winding Road » A last look at Kallang as it was

Having already said farewell to the Grand Old Lady, it is appropriate to also bid goodbye to some of the views of which we have for so long identified with the area around the stadium…

**** Men Of Virtue In The Holy Order Of PAP <http://feedmetothefish.blogspot.com/2010/07/men-of-virtue-in-holy-order-of-pap.html>
Feed Me To The Fish

How dare they use such terms when they are nothing but a bunch of greedy mercenaries who pay themselves millions to be in the holy order! To describe oneself in such an altruistic manner while leaving the people no choice but pay the king's ransom to the holy order's paycheck is really 'siah sway'.

**** “You May Wish To Get Involved In…Political Organizations” <http://geraldgiam.sg/2010/07/you-may-wish-to-get-involved-in-political-organizations/>
Gerald Giam

Without a vibrant political atmosphere on university campuses, it is an uphill task to get our leaders of tomorrow to see the value in investing time to fight for causes that have national impact.

**** Distance-based Bus, Train Fares From Tomorrow <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC100702-0000104/Distance-based-bus,-train-fares-from-tomorrow>
Today

Bus and train fares will be calculated based on distance travelled and the type of service taken to get to a destination.

**** The Singapore Quandary <http://www.mysinchew.com/node/41148>
Lim Sue Goan, Sin Chew Daily

The society is very open to allow topless shows, but its politics is being tightly controlled. An overly controlled country will face difficulties in finding qualified political successors. Kuan Yew's set of political thinking may be a disaster to the country once he is no longer around to make correct judgments.

**** Singapore Plans To Fight Road Congestion With Satellites <http://www.businessweek.com/idg/2010-07-01/singapore-plans-to-fight-road-congestion-with-satellites.html>
Sumner Lemon , IDG

**** The New Republic: Lessons From China And Singapore <http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128235453>
Martha C. Nussbaum, NPR

In Singapore, nobody even attempts to use the new techniques when teaching about politics and contemporary problems. "Citizenship education" typically takes the form of analyzing a problem, proposing several possible solutions, and then demonstrating how the one chosen by government is the right one for Singapore. In universities, some instructors attempt a more genuinely open approach, but the government has a way of suing professors for libel if they criticize the government in class, and even a small number of high-profile cases chills debate.

It is time to take off the rose-colored glasses. Singapore and China are terrible models of education for any nation that aspires to remain a pluralistic democracy. They have not succeeded on their own business-oriented terms, and they have energetically suppressed imagination and analysis when it comes to the future of the nation and the tough choices that lie before it.

**** 六月雨量是去年同期11倍 <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp100702_007.shtml>
胡洁梅, 联合早报

国家环境局昨天受询时说,今年六月份的总降雨量是240.5毫米。这个雨量在过去100多年来的六月份雨量记录中,排行第19高。

**** Keeping S'pore Flood Free Not Worth It But Losing $140 B Is <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/3873-keeping-spore-flood-free-not-worth-it-but-losing-140-b-is>
Singapore Democrat Party

What evidence is there that litter choked the drains and caused the floods to occur? Isn't Singapore one of the most litter-free cities in the world where even chewing gum is banned? The PM must show proof that the floods were a result of litter clogging the drains. Otherwise he should stop trying to distract Singaporeans from the real issue which is that it was poor planning by the government that caused the floods.

The truth is that the prime minister is conveniently deflecting the blame onto the people because this Government feels that it can do no wrong and, therefore, is above accountability.

No one expects Singapore to be flood-free, but we expect the PAP to be humble and apologise when it has failed to do its job properly instead of making cockamamie excuses like flash floods occuring only once every 50 years or that a blocked culvert caused Orchard Road to flood or that litter clogged up our drains.

**** The Great Crush Load Challenge <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/07/the-great-crush-load-challenge/>
Leslie Lee, The Online Citizen

I would like to see the local mainstream media take up Ms Saw’s challenge to see if it is indeed possible (taking safety and some degree of comfort into account) to fit a maximum of 1,500 people into a single train service.

**** SMRT Vandal Oliver Fricker: Is Caning Really A Deterrent In Singapore? <http://rogerpoh.wordpress.com/2010/07/02/smrt-vandal-oliver-fricker-is-caning-really-a-deterrent-in-singapore/>
SpotlightOnSingapore

Are Singaporeans so lacking in education and civic-consciousness in the 21st century that they need laws on caning to behave?

**** NSP Press Statement: Fare Increase In Disguise <http://singaporealternatives.blogspot.com/2010/07/fare-increase-in-disguise.html>
Goh Meng Seng, Singapore Alternatives

We strongly condemn PTC for its attempt to implement such a fare system which is in fact an outrageous hike in fare in disguise.

**** So That We Pay Even More? <http://yawshinleong.blogspot.com/2010/07/so-that-we-pay-even-more.html>
Yaw Shin Leong

While I am not against technological improvements, I propose that the monies be better spent on giving our roads systems a long overdue overhaul instead.

**** Watch Out For Singapore Property Steps <http://blogs.wsj.com/marketbeat/2010/07/02/watch-out-for-singapore-property-steps/>
Frankie Ho, Wall Street Journal

A rise in Singapore private home prices by more than 10% so far this year to levels above the 1996 peak has raised affordability concerns, and may trigger more government measures to cool the property market, says CIMB.

**** SMRT To Introduce More Bus Services That Run Parallel To Train Lines <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1067236/1/.html>
Leong Wee Keat, Sona Remesh, Channel NewsAsia