[MyAppleMenu] Jan 9, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jan 9 18:59:00 EST 2010

**** Apple Plans New Prototype Store In Downtown Palo Alto <http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_14147621?nclick_check=1>
Will Oremus, Daily News

Apple is quietly preparing to move its downtown Palo Alto store to a new, larger space just a block away on University Avenue, The Daily News has learned.

There it will build an Apple Store that project developers referred to in planning documents as "a new prototype for the company." The facade will be entirely transparent at ground level, vast skylights will flood the store with natural light, and trees will grow inside, fed by the sunlight from above, according to a proposal submitted to the city's architectural review board.

**** "If Monks Had Macs" Available For Free <http://db.tidbits.com/article/10896?rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tidbits_main+%28TidBITS%3A+Mac+News+for+the+Rest+of+Us%29>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

It's always sad when something comes to an end, but thanks to its creator, Brian Thomas, the groundbreaking multimedia project "If Monks Had Macs" that started 21 years ago will live on as a free download.

**** Thoughts On What An Apple Tablet Should Be – Or Not <http://www.suntimes.com/technology/ihnatko/1980077,ihnatko-apple-tablet-microsoft-010710.article>
Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times

Before lunchtime I closed my eyes, commended my soul to God, and bought roundtrip airfare to San Francisco for the last week of January.

**** A Deluge Of Devices For Reading And Surfing <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/09/technology/personaltech/09reader.html>
Brad Stone and Nick Bilton, New York Times

**** Cut This Story! <http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/201001/short-writing>
Michael Kinsley, The Atlantic

One reason seekers of news are abandoning print newspapers for the Internet has nothing directly to do with technology. It’s that newspaper articles are too long.

**** Read It And Weep <http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/jan/09/books-of-year-lucy-mangan?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Lucy Mangan, The Guardian

'If 100 books a year is already my limit, that means that I will be lucky to get through another 3,000 before I die'.

**** Poems For A Baby <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/jan/09/nick-laird-poems-baby?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Nick Laird, The Guardian

I just became a dad a month or so ago, and I've been trying to write a poem or two for the baby. Amid the muslins and mountains of nappies, the writing hasn't been going so well, but the reading around's been interesting.

**** The Perils Of ‘Contact Me’ <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/books/review/Yagoda-t.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Ben Yagoda, New York Times

In the age of e-mail, it has become easy — perhaps too easy — for readers to get in touch with authors.

**** MOE To Review Admission Rules For Special Needs Students <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_475110.html>
Lim Huay Chih, Ministry of Education, Straits Times

A special education school student who sat for the PSLE and qualified for a course at the secondary level should approach MOE to facilitate his admission. If there are no vacancies in a secondary school of his choice, MOE will facilitate his admission to a suitable school near his home.

**** SMRT, It's A Shame To Pull The Plug On Crime Library <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_475107.html>
Murali Sharma, Straits Times

SMRT is one of the most visible corporate entities here. What will Singaporeans and foreign visitors think of it now? It is time for SMRT to give back to the society which sustains it.

**** 对大选的四个期待 <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl100109_012.shtml>
游润恬, 联合早报

传统媒体跟政党一样,其实也在摸索应如何应付新媒体所带来的挑战。一种看法是新媒体所反映的只是一小部分人的“民情”,互联网上又充斥着容易误导人的不正确观点或对政府的莫名敌意。因此,传统媒体有必要扮演平衡和捍卫真理的角色,以进一步解说政策以纠正广大读者的误解,并拿出更具代表性的论点去进行驳斥。

**** McDonald's Pulls Pig Toy <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_475296.html>
Leow Si Wan & Chuang Bing Han, Straits Times

Fast-food giant McDonald's has stirred up a controversy by omitting pig characters from its latest toy promotions.

**** Singapore Hit By Container Slump <http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/fefff230-fcbf-11de-bc51-00144feab49a.html?nclick_check=1>
Kevin Brown, Financial Times

The sharp fall in traffic inflicted substantial pain on PSA International, the state-owned group that runs five of the terminals, which suffered a 13.1 per cent fall in throughput for the year to 25.14m TEU.

**** The Meat Market <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703481004574646233272990474.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_RIGHTTopCarousel>
Alex Tabarrok, Wall Street Journal

In a race to prevent thousands of needless deaths a year, countries from Singapore to Israel are launching innovative new programs to boost organ donation.

**** Burger King Singapore To Acquire 35 Restaurants From Bon-Food <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/1029442/1/.html>
Jonathan Peeris, Channel NewsAsia

Burger King Singapore on Friday said it has reached an agreement to acquire 35 restaurants in Singapore from franchisee Bon-Food. This represents the bulk of the 40 Burger King restaurants that Bon-Food currently operates.

**** Are We Design Literate? <http://www.dasingapore.com/?p=423>
Lim Sio Hui, Designers Association Singapore

**** Local Talents Take A Beating <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?col=insightdownsouth&file=/2010/1/9/columnists/insightdownsouth/5432308&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

Like a relentless tsunami, high-tech gimmicks from abroad keep flooding Singapore to the detriment of homegrown innovative capabilities.

**** Going To Jail Is Least Of Chee Siok Chin's Concerns <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/3274-going-to-jail-is-least-of-chee-siok-chins-concerns>
Singapore Democrats

How is Singapore a First World country when its laws are so backward and the media is controlled? More importantly, can Singapore cope in the future when laws oppress Singaporeans to such a frightening degree?

**** Still Concerned By Rising Costs <http://www.todayonline.com/Business/EDC100109-0000094/Still-concerned-by-rising-costs>
Wong Siew Ying, Today

Even as the Singapore economy shows signs of recovery, companies are still concerned about rising business costs and inflation. But economists believe excess capacity around the world may somewhat cushion the impact.