[MyAppleMenu] Jan 2, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jan 2 18:59:00 EST 2010

**** Apple's iDecade <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/dec2009/tc20091231_183323.htm>
Arik Hesseldahl, BusinessWeek

In a 10-year span when so much went wrong, the maker of the iPod and Mac got a lot right.

**** Why Apple Was My Company Of The Decade <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgigaom.com%2F2010%2F01%2F01%2Fapple-company-of-the-decade%2F%3Futm_source%3Dgigaom%26utm_medium%3Dnavigation&usg=AFQjCNHrmVLACnflG-AXK0hLqvpnbMdr4w>
GigaOm

As the next decade of the 21st century rolls around, it is becoming obvious that the battle between Google and Apple is going to dominate the headlines for years to come.

**** Our Coffee, Ourselves <http://www.inthesetimes.com/article/5311/our_coffee_ourselves>
Richard Greenwald, In These Times

The rise of Starbucks reveals how we really live, and it ain’t pretty.

**** The Master And His Emissary: The Divided Brain And The Making Of The Western World By Iain McGilchrist <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/jan/02/1?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Mary Midgley, The Guardian

This is a very remarkable book. It is not (as some reviewers seem to think) just one more glorification of feeling at the expense of thought. Rather, it points out the complexity, the divided nature of thought itself and asks about its connection with the structure of the brain.

**** Mind Reading <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=a14a43fcf2102382ec89b51394acaa6c>
Alison Gopnik, New York Times

A French cognitive scientist explains the phenomenon of literacy and its effects on the mind.

**** The Naked And The Conflicted <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=310df72a2e55c4f03011e7cda21cb9d5>
Katie Roiphe, New York Times

We denounce the Great Male Novelists of the last century for their sexism. But something has been lost now that innocence is more fashionable than virility, the cuddle preferable to sex.

**** Nightmare For Soccer Junkies <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2010/1/2/focus/5402229&sec=focus>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

Singaporeans are finding it hard to accept that the whole world – rich and poor, big and small – can watch the World Cup, but not their country, which is one of Asia’s richest.

It is more than just about sports or television. It is a story of what is good and bad about Singapore.

**** Mixed-marriage Babies Now Given Race Choice <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2010/01/02/mixed-marriage-babies-now-given-race-choice/>
Yawning Bread

Five minutes is all it takes to realise that in an age when people have unprecedented mobility, marrying and reproducing across racial and ethnic boundaries, the best response is to drop the race label altogether. Trying to modify the failing system the way the ICA is doing is just making a bigger joke of the whole shebang.

But the bureaucrats at ICA can't do the smart thing, can they? Because race is intertwined with our politics. There is not only the politics of second language in schools, there is the politics of race quotas in public housing, and more race quotas in elections. These issues are outside ICA's purview; they can't extinguish race labelling because of these other demands.

**** The Most Under-Reported Story Of 2009: The Straits Times Is Liberalising <http://us.asiancorrespondent.com/secret-blog/the-most-under-reported-story-of-2009-the-straits-times-is-liberalising>
Liau Chuan Yi and Norvin Chan, Asian Correspondent

**** Reporting On The Great Leader Is A Dangerous Business <http://us.asiancorrespondent.com/the-asia-file/reporting-on-the-great-leader-is-a-dangerous-business>
Ben Bland, Asian Correspondent

In Singapore, as in any authoritarian state, the task of reporting the utterances of the Great Leader is a perilous one for any journalist.