[MyAppleMenu] Feb 28, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Feb 28 18:59:00 EST 2010

**** Apple Says Children Were Used To Build iPhone, iPod <http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-02-27/apple-says-children-were-used-to-build-iphone-ipod-update1-.html>
Connie Guglielmo, Reuters

Apple Inc. said three of its suppliers hired 11 underage workers to help build the iPhone, iPod and Macintosh computer last year, a violation it uncovered as part of its onsite audit of 102 factories.

The company said it stopped doing business with at least one unnamed supplier after finding repeated violations and “inadequate actions” to address the problems.

**** Brandon Perlow: Apple's Influence On Visual Arts Is Rotting To The Core <http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=12168&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+zdnet%2Fperlow+%28ZDNet+Tech+Broiler%29>
Jason Perlow, ZDNet

Once the preferred platform of visual arts production and digital content creation, the Macintosh’s market share has eroded due to its inability to pace with advances in PC hardware and commodity system pricing.

**** The Free-Appropriation Writer <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=d2ad89786348bca88a1f3cd823a82bf7>
Randy Kennedy, New York Times

Copying passages from another author used to be an unforgivable sin. But remix culture is coming to literature.

**** Walking The Dog By David Hughes <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/feb/28/walking-the-dog-book-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Rachel Cooke, The Guardian

A man's strolls with his pooch prompt all manner of engaging reflections in this innovative book.

**** Dedicated Queue For Stamps <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_495876.html>
Irene Tham, Straits Times

>From Monday, all post offices will have a dedicated counter for stamp sales and registered mail services. It came after The Sunday Times reported that Singpost's foray into retail sales had led to longer queues even for basic postal services.

**** Availability Of Elected MPs <http://tankinlian.blogspot.com/2010/02/availability-of-elected-mps.html>
Tan Kin Lian

**** Singapore: From Asian Dump To Impeccable Cleanness In 50 Years <http://english.pravda.ru/world/asia/27-02-2010/112408-singapore-0>
Pravda

What did Singapore officials have to do to turn a dump into the cleanest Asian city and one of the most flourishing countries in the world in as little as 50 years? Russians became frequent guests in this city-state on the Equator. Wealthy Russians are looking into buying houses on the beach, while politicians and officials are trying to solve the puzzle of Singapore phenomenon.

**** Many Sublet Hawker Stalls <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_496062.html>
Leonard Lim, Straits Times

It is almost akin to speculating in the property market. Head to the National Environment Agency during its monthly tender exercise, submit a bid for one of the vacant hawker centre stalls, and cross your fingers.

If you are successful, you could rent the stall out later for a higher fee, and make a tidy profit of close to $2,000 in some cases.

**** Dare To Be Daft <http://www.insanepoly.com/blog/?p=960>
Insane Polygons

These are trying times for Singapore. If I am going to vote for somebody, than I need that person to have courage, tenacity, passion and integrity. I can’t be voting for some yes man who is in it for himself. So that is why if given the chance I will vote for the opposition because I may not know the man personally, but the act of standing up as a opposition politician already speaks volumes about his character to me.

**** Govt Does Not Decide Characteristics Of Singapore's Markets: SM Goh <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1040578/1/.html>
S Ramesh , Channel NewsAsia

Singapore's wet markets are not utilising land in the best possible way, especially in land-scarce Singapore, says senior minister Goh Chok Tong. He added that it is something to look into in the longer term.

**** The Coming Around Of Chee Soon Juan And SDP? <http://singaporerebel.blogspot.com/2010/02/coming-around-of-chee-soon-juan-and-sdp.html>
Martyn See, Only "Objective" And "Factual" Political Films Please, We're Singaporeans

That the MSM has now come knocking on Chee's door, despite his open criticisms of them, is something of a revelation. More interesting to me, are how the dynamics in opposition politics have suddenly shifted. Now that the press has nudged SDP closer to the mainstream, will it then follow that the absentees of the night's function will be less afraid to associate themselves with Chee and SDP?