[MyAppleMenu] Feb 26, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Feb 26 18:59:00 EST 2010

**** Tits And Apps <http://daringfireball.net/2010/02/tits_and_apps>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

Apple sees the App Store as an aspect of its brand. Developers see the App Store as the entirety of the Cocoa Touch platform. This is a significant conflict.

It’s entrepreneurism to be willing to take your chances in the market. It’s healthy skepticism to worry about being locked out of the market after you’ve already invested heavily in building your product.

**** Al Gore A Lightning Rod At Apple Shareholder Meeting <http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-10459872-260.html?part=rss&amp;subj=news&amp;tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
Erica Ogg, CNET News

The presence of the climate change clarion and former vice president on Apple's board sets the tone for debate over the company's environmental strategy.

**** One Way To End A Stuck Time Machine Backup <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=46a83844caf474b46a7a8ec489a1b813>
Macworld

Have you ever seen Time Machine get stuck during a backup run -- constantly showing a tiny percentage completion, for instance? If so, this hint may help; it explains how to gracefully exit that situation, using two simple Terminal commands.

**** Apple: The Wizard Of Awe <http://www.canadianbusiness.com/technology/companies/article.jsp?content=20100301_10018_10018>
Canadian Business

How Steve Jobs weaves his own version of reality, and why we keep buying into it.

**** Apple Releases RAW Compatability Update 3.1 <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20000100-37.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
Josh Lowensohn, CNET News

Apple adds RAW image file support for 11 additional cameras for use in Aperture 3 and iPhoto '09.

**** Palm Disaster Shows That Apple Is Screwed Without Steve Jobs <http://www.businessinsider.com/palm-is-proof-that-apple-is-screwed-without-steve-jobs-2010-2>
Dan Frommer, Business Insider

Palm is basically Apple, Jr. And if a bunch of Apple geniuses can't kick butt on their own at Palm, how are they going to kick butt without Steve at Apple?

One small comforting factor: Palm's competitor includes Google, Microsoft, and Apple.

**** There's An App For That, Too — Tampa Cops Find Stolen iPhones With GPS <http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/crime/article1075489.ece>
Kim Wilmath, St Petersburg Times

"So I was in Tampa, and I was on a roller coaster, and somebody stole my phone. Long story short, I used GPS, tracked the guy down and put him in jail."

**** Review: Thoughts For Mac <http://www.cultofmac.com/review-thoughts-for-mac/31600?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+cultofmac%2FbFow+%28Cult+of+Mac%29>
Giles Turnbull, Cult of Mac

Thoughts is a desktop notebook app for Mac OS X, designed to look and behave like a real world paper notebook or journal.

**** The Fall And Rise Of Bundle-Based Businesses <http://db.tidbits.com/article/11030?rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tidbits_main+%28TidBITS%3A+Mac+News+for+the+Rest+of+Us%29>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

So yes, bundles will survive, but those that do will survive for the right reasons, and those reasons have to do with meeting customers' needs and desires more than facilitating economies of scale and higher price points. That in turns means that companies relying on bundled products need to figure out business models that serve both the bundled and the unbundled product. Otherwise they'll eventually slide into unbundled oblivion.

**** iTunes Sex Gate Continues: Hooters Girls App Back On Sale <http://www.cultofmac.com/itunes-sex-gate-continues-hooters-girls-app-back-on-sale/31659?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+cultofmac%2FbFow+%28Cult+of+Mac%29>
Nicole Martinelli, Cult of Mac

**** Apple Reveals Plans To Open 25 Retail Stores In China <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/02/25/apple_reveals_plans_to_open_25_retail_stores_in_china.html>
AppleInsider

At Apple's annual shareholders meeting at its campus in Cupertino, Calif., Thursday, the company revealed it intends to open 25 stores in the nation of China.

**** Apple's Jobs Says Must Think "Big" On Cash Hoard <http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN259833320100225>
Gabriel Madway and Alexei Oreskovic, Reuters

Apple Inc CEO Steve Jobs said his company has to "think big" and its $40 billion cash hoard offers flexibility, suggesting that he had no immediate plans to spend the money on a share buyback or dividend.

Faced with questions at the annual shareholders meeting over what Apple would do with its cash -- which stands at about one-fifth of its market capitalization -- Jobs said having the money at hand offers security for the company.

**** Why Can’t PCs Work More Like iPhones? <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/25/why-cant-pcs-work-more-like-iphones/>
Nick Bilton, New York Times

Apple’s iPhone and computer operating systems are both based on the Unix operating system. Why not use the iPhone interface as the basis for a new round of Apple computers?

**** Plants Vs. Zombies Breaks Records On The iPhone <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/02/25/plants-vs-zombies-breaks-records-on-the-iphone/>
Mike Schramm, TUAW

PopCap has released some sales information on their latest iPhone game, Plants vs. Zombies, and it's a runaway hit: the game has sold over 300,000 copies in just the nine days it's been out on the App Store, which means the company has garnered over $1 million in sales already.

**** Parallels Gets Down To Bare Metal With New Server Software <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/02/25/parallels-gets-down-to-bare-metal-with-new-server-software/>
Brett Terpstra, TUAW

Parallels has announced a new version of Parallels Server for Mac called the Mac Bare Metal Edition. It's optimized to provide better performance for virtual machines running on an Xserve, and allows multiple, isolated virtual machines to run simultaneously on the same server.

**** iPad Apps Could Put Apple In Charge Of The News <http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/02/ipad-magazines-newspapers/>
Brian X. Chen, Wired News

Publishers should think twice before worshipping the iPad as the future platform for magazines and newspapers. That is, if they value their independence from an often-capricious corporate gatekeeper.

**** Why Apple's App Store Policies Are Wrong <http://www.eweekeurope.co.uk/comment/why-apples-app-store-policies-are-wrong-5531>
Don Reisinger, eWeek

Admittedly, it’s a tough balance. And Apple’s position on not wanting to offend others makes some sense. But what doesn’t make sense is exactly how its App Store works. What constitutes an “objectionable” app? What sorts of apps are more likely to be accepted than others? We might think we know the answer, but as the past week has shown, we probably don’t.

**** 10 Mac Tweeters Not To Miss <http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9162238/10_Mac_tweeters_not_to_miss?source=rss_opsys>
Michael deAgonia, Computerworld

If you're a Mac fan, you'll quickly find that there are a lot of Apple-focused tweeters out there. As a Mac expert and aficionado, I thought I'd share a few who I've found to be worth my Twitter time. Here's a list of 10 tweeters, both well-known and obscure, whose Mac tweets keep me informed and engaged. In this list, a tweeter's popularity is less important than the usefulness of his tweets.

**** Read It Later Turning Bookmarks Into News Pages <http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-20000096-248.html?part=rss&amp;subj=news&amp;tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
Josh Lowensohn, CNET News

Read It Later is launching a service called digest that turns your saved bookmarks into a constantly updating news page that's sorted by topic.

**** Mavis Gallant's Dreams Of Escape <http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/the_tls/article7030472.ece>
Alex Clark, The Times

Her early stories explore the shifting worlds of the rootless and the dispossessed.

**** Better Living Through Tape Delay <Parallels has announced a new version of Parallels Server for Mac called the Mac Bare Metal Edition. It's optimized to provide better performance for virtual machines running on an Xserve, and allows multiple, isolated virtual machines to run simultaneously on the same server.>
Bill Smee, Slate Magazine

Why live sporting events are for suckers.

**** A Delicious Free-For-All <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/24/dining/reviews/24wine.html>
Eric Asimov, New York Times

A good selection of Belgian-style ales is like the very best kind of buffet, offering an assortment of flavors, aromas, styles, strengths and types. You want strong ale, sour ale, sweet ale, dry ale, golden, dark, wheat, fruity and malty. When we set out to draw a stylistic standard for a planned tasting of Belgian golden ales, it seemed as if we’d taken on an impossible task. But glory does not come to those who quit easily.

**** Turn Off The Lights On March 27 <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC100226-0000126/Turn-off-the-lights-on-March-27>
Neo Chai Chin, Today

WWF Singapore is now inviting the public to switch off their lights on March 27 from 8.30pm to 9.30pm for this year's Earth Hour.

**** Why Not Introduce Bike Lanes Across Singapore? <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC100226-0000120/Why-not-introduce-bike-lanes-across-Singapore?>
Thomas Fontaine, Today

We have adapted to the sidewalks to avoid the reckless driving that allows us no quarter on the roads.

Bicycles belong on the roads, not the sidewalks. If you are not good enough in defensive riding against reckless drivers, don't cycle. Walk!

**** Why The Saturday Mail Was Dropped <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_495124.html>
Tay Poh Choo, Singapore Post, Straits Times

We have put in place mitigating measures to ensure that inconveniences, if any, are minimised. In this instance, we will be extending the collection timings by an hour on Fridays, starting from May 15.

If there is only one, you don't put a 's' behind the word 'measure'. Even Primary 2 students know that.

**** What Is Missing In The Productivity Debate <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=3865>
Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

We are getting nowhere with the current productivity debate because the government has refused to acknowledge the root cause of poor productivity growth and the proposed measures will only serve to entrench the status quo and deepen our problems.

**** Simplify Taxation <http://tankinlian.blogspot.com/2010/02/simplify-taxation.html>
Tan Kin Lian

As we introduce new taxes and make changes, we must also take the opportunity to simplify and streamline our tax system. We need to take a bold step in this direction.

**** Singapore Shows The Way <http://www.lloydslist.com/ll/home/blogView.htm;.065acf6a61c52eed94766d1ba7da5d95d4ecd58a?blogId=20001019222>
Janet Porter, Lloyd's List

Singapore has made no secret of its wish to become a global maritime hub offering a complete range of services and has been taking a close look at what centres elsewhere, including London, have to offer.

**** Sands Uncertain About Singapore's Performance <http://www.macaudailytimes.com.mo/macau/9511-Sands-uncertain-about-Singapores-performance.html>
Macau Daily Times

**** Uniquely Singapore: PAP Ministers Raising Their Own Pay By A Hefty 8.8% Ahead Of The Next Election <http://www.temasekreview.com/2010/02/25/uniquely-singapore-pap-ministers-raising-their-own-pay-by-a-hefty-8-8-ahead-of-the-next-election/>
The Temasek Review

What have they done exactly to justify their obscene salaries?

**** Could This Be The Driest February On Record? <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC100226-0000070/Could-this-be-the-driest-February-on-record?>
Today

This month could turn out to be the driest February ever recorded in Singapore, if current conditions continue. The National Environment Agency said only 5.3 mm of rainfall has been recorded so far, compared to 18.7 mm in the same period last year.

**** Ten Reasons Why PAP May Lose More Seats In The Next Election <http://www.transitioning.org/2010/02/24/ten-reasons-why-pap-may-lose-some-more-seats-in-the-next-election/>
Gilbert Goh, Transitioning.org

The issue of foreigner workers may just be the main catalyst that push Singaporeans to demand for change. People are pragmatic and if their economic neds are not met, they may simply go for the jugular.

Forced out by foreigners in their work places and feeling second-class in their own country, Singaporeans may now throw caution to the wind and vote for an alternative.

**** MFA Spokesman's Comments In Response To Media Queries About The Comments Made To The Media By Dr Silviu Ionescu <http://app.mfa.gov.sg/2006/press/view_press_email.asp?post_id=5823>
Singapore Government

As we have said many times, if Dr Ionescu was not the driver as he claims, then he should take the opportunity to attend the Inquiry to give his account of the events and pose questions to the witnesses, in order that the true circumstances surrounding the accidents may be determined. Singapore's legal system is well known internationally for its integrity and transparency. The Coroner will make a finding based on the evidence presented before him.

Dr Ionescu's comment that "Someone died. It's not something solitary, but happens all over the world. There are bigger stories out there" is shocking. We trust the Romanian authorities do not share Dr Ionescu's irresponsible and callous attitude.

**** MFA Spokesman's Comments In Response To Media Queries On The Decision On Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's Appeal <http://app.mfa.gov.sg/2006/press/view_press_email.asp?post_id=5822>
Singapore Government

It is of course very disappointing that her appeal did not

succeed. A dialogue among the Myanmar authorities, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi

and all other political groups ahead of this year's elections offers the best prospects for national reconciliation and the long-term political stability of Myanmar. We believe that all Myanmars, irrespective of political affiliation, must share these goals which are also in the interests of the entire region. We thus hope that the Myanmar authorities will, in their own interests, allow her to participate in the political process in a meaningful way as soon as possible.

**** Singapore Manufacturing Buoys Economy <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704479404575088663013515270.html?mod=WSJ_latestheadlines>
P.R. Venkat, Wall Street Journal

Singapore's manufacturing output rose at a record pace in January, buoyed by strong gains in the electronics and biomedical sectors, indicating that the export-dependent nation is on track toward a broad-based economic recovery.

**** 新加坡賭場瞄準海外 <http://www.yzzk.com/cfm/Content_Archive.cfm?Channel=kk&Path=3104955231/09kk2.cfm>
郝美莉, 亚洲周刊

新加坡首家賭場開業,首週就迎來近十五萬訪客。經營賭場的大馬雲頂集團主席林國泰的目標是打造適合家庭玩樂的綜合遊樂區,將市場瞄準全亞洲。獅城開賭場將對澳門構成競爭,但在賭場規模及多元化方面,仍待超越澳門。

**** Former Diplomat Unlikely To Attend Hit-and-run Inquiry In Singapore <http://www.monstersandcritics.com/news/asiapacific/news/article_1536804.php/Former-diplomat-unlikely-to-attend-hit-and-run-inquiry-in-Singapore>
DPA

A former Romanian diplomat in Singapore is unlikely to return to the city-state for a coroner's inquiry into the car-accident death of a Singaporean but said he is determined to clear his name and would be writing to the government.

**** After Temasek, More Singapore Bonds Likely <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704625004575089141725385782.html?mod=googlenews_wsj>
Ditas Lopez and P.R. Venkat, Wall Street Journal

Recent bond sales in Singapore by Temasek Holdings Pte. Ltd. have stoked renewed interest in the island state's local-currency debt market and could presage brisk issuance this year.