[MyAppleMenu] Feb 20, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Feb 20 18:59:00 EST 2010

**** Me.com Gets More iPhone Friendly, Adds Find My iPhone Access <http://appadvice.com/appnn/2010/02/me-com-gets-more-iphone-friendly-adds-find-my-iphone-access/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AppAdvice+%28AppAdvice%29>
Alexander Vaughn, App Advice

If you now point Mobile Safari to me.com, you’ll be offered with the instructions to configure MobileMe on your iDevice, links to the iDisk and Gallery apps, as well as on-the-go access to the great Find My iPhone feature.

**** Movist Plays Your Movies When QuickTime Can't <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=89ec4cea47e7642a380522530e8f3041>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

Movist is an alternative to OS X's QuickTime Player for viewing videos; like VLC, it's based on FFmpeg, so it lets you play a number of media formats that QuickTime can't handle.

**** Apple iPhone Emissions Land In The Middle Of The Pack <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=6096&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+zdnet%2FApple+%28ZDNet+The+Apple+Core%29>
David Morgenstern, ZDNet

The Environmental Working Group this week released its latest radiation ratings for cell phones and smart phones. Apple's iPhone models can be found in the middle of the pack, unlike a number of its competitors.

**** Chronicle 3 <http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/review/chronicle_3/>
Nancy Gravley, The Mac Observer

The recently introduced Chronicle 3, allows you to keep a record of your monthly bills, reminds you when they are due, keeps a payment history, and automatically charts your payments. It is also extremely easy to use.

**** News And Notes From Expo's Mobile Applications Showcase <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=d0457081ea94373465dae65fe2f3525c>
Philip Michaels, Macworld

It wasn’t find one of the busiest places on the show floor at last week’s Macworld Expo. That would be the Mobile Applications Showcase where around six dozen or so iPhone app developers held court, displaying their efforts before a steady parade of Expo attendees.

**** Why Apple’s New Ban Against Sexy Apps Is Scary <http://techcrunch.com/2010/02/19/apple-ban-sex/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Techcrunch+%28TechCrunch%29>
Jason Kincaid, TechCrunch

Now Apple is moving in the other direction, and it’s setting a scary precedent. It’s showing that it’s comfortable throwing out applications that developers have spent their time and money building, without even bothering to give them advance notice. It’s one thing to have an application get denied when it’s first submitted — it’s another thing entirely to have the rug pulled out from under you once your app has thousands of downloads and customers.

This is, in my opinion, precisely the reason why Amazon need to try very hard to make the Kindle (hardware) stay relevant, even if most of the money is actually made on the e-books themselves.

**** Want A Supercomputer? You May Already Have One On Your Desktop <http://www.infoworld.com/d/hardware/want-supercomputer-you-may-already-have-one-your-desktop-661>
John Brandon, Computerworld

More and more, your desktop can do what a supercomputer does -- and more possibilities will unfold in the next decade.

**** Carnivorous Plants <http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2010/03/carnivorous-plants/zimmer-text>
Carl Zimmer, Photograph by Helene Schmitz, National Geographic

They lure insects into death traps, then gorge on their flesh. Is that any way for a plant to behave?

**** A Bouquet Of Science <http://www.nybooks.com/articles/23707?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nybooks+%28The+New+York+Review+of+Books%29>
Jeremy Bernstein, The New York Review of Books

In French cooking there is the notion of the amuse-gueule. These are tasty bits one has before the main meal in order to prepare the palate for the real thing. That is what this book is—a collection of amuse-gueules. One hopes that the reader will go on to sample the real thing.

**** Trekking With Wolves <http://travel.nytimes.com/2010/02/21/travel/21snowshoeing.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Greg Breining, New York Times

In the winter, northern Minnesota becomes a lonely place, a wilderness to explore on snowshoes, where the only company is often four-legged.

**** Singapore Looks For A Softer Side Of Growth <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/20/business/global/20art.html>
Sonia Kolesnikov-Jessop, New York Times

Singapore may be best known as a hub of electronics manufacturing and transportation, but as it plans for its next stage of economic growth, its leaders are looking toward a radically different sector: the arts.

**** 新加坡名胜世界开业 没带旺新山反卷走游客 <http://www.zaobao.com/yx/yx100220_006.shtml>
联合早报

新加坡圣陶沙名胜世界的赌场开业,并未带旺与新加坡一水之隔的新山,反而是当地游客涌到新加坡赌场一日游。

新山旅游业者说,新加坡并没有提供一揽子旅游配套,将到新加坡赌场的外国游客带到新山或柔州其他地区旅游,而新山业者也没有类似配套。换言之,新加坡赌场开业后,对促进柔州旅游业的助益不大。

**** Blurring State And Party Lines <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2010/2/20/focus/5702058&sec=focus>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

In his outspoken way, Lee Kuan Yew admitted that all grassroots organisations (with nearly 30,000 community workers) which interact and organise activities in the estates were actually part of his party. “... Everywhere they (the Chinese) go, they see the PAP – in the RCs (residents’ committees), CCCs (citizens’ consultative committees), and the CCs (community clubs)."

The confirmation that these are part of the PAP could become an embarrassment to his younger ministers as the message sinks in.

**** Comments To Wanbao About Singapore’s Social Welfare System <http://geraldgiam.sg/2010/02/comments-to-wanbao-about-singapores-social-welfare-system/>
Gerald Giam

A well-designed welfare system will provide citizens with peace of mind and an assurance of a decent safety net if they fall (e.g., lose their job), while still focusing on getting those who are able to work back into the workforce.