[MyAppleMenu] Dec 24, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Dec 24 18:59:01 EST 2010

**** Review - Adobe Acrobat X Pro <http://www.applelinks.com/index.php/more/review_adobe_acrobat_x_pro/#When:12:02:00Z>
Gary Coyne, Applelinks

**** Thoughts And Insights On The New MacBook Air (2010) <http://www.designsojourn.com/thoughts-and-insights-on-the-new-macbook-air-2010/>
Design Sojourn

The 13” version is not much heavier or less portable than the 11”, however it is far more comfortable to use. One word of caution though, you should carefully think how the MBA, or any Apple product for that matter, fits into your lifestyle. If you already own a number of Apple products (say an iPad and a MacBook Pro), every time Apple introduces a new product to fill in a gap, the usage scenarios will start to overlap more and more. This means products can end up doubling up its use and you are paying for something you don’t really need.

**** The Grim Threat To British Universities <http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2011/jan/13/grim-threat-british-universities/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nybooks+%28The+New+York+Review+of+Books%29>
Simon Head, New York Review Of Books

The British universities, Oxford and Cambridge included, are under siege from a system of state control that is undermining the one thing upon which their worldwide reputation depends: the caliber of their scholarship. The theories and practices that are driving this assault are mostly American in origin, conceived in American business schools and management consulting firms. They are frequently embedded in intensive management systems that make use of information technology (IT) marketed by corporations such as IBM, Oracle, and SAP. They are then sold to clients such as the UK government and its bureaucracies, including the universities. This alliance between the public and private sector has become a threat to academic freedom in the UK, and a warning to the American academy about how its own freedoms can be threatened.

**** Book Review: 'The English Is Coming!' By Leslie Dunton-Downer <http://www.latimes.com/features/books/la-et-book-20101224,0,417216.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+features%2Fbooks+%28Los+Angeles+Times+-+Books%29>
Leslie Savan, Los Angeles Times

How to find the words to describe this book about the way English is transforming the world and, in the process, being revolutionized? Well, let's flip through until time to say 'Thankbye.'

**** Good Neighbors <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/24/opinion/24obreht.html?_r=1&ref=opinion>
Téa Obreht, New York Times

**** Lim Engages Lawyer To Get Response From SDA <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1100947/1/.html>
Teo Xuanwei, Today

The rift between Potong Pasir member of Parliament Chiam See Tong and his former right-hand man Desmond Lim looks set to deepen, after the latter engaged a lawyer to defend him in disciplinary proceedings initiated against him.

**** 肯尼思: 詹时中一度考虑加入革新党 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp101224_012.shtml>
游润恬, 联合早报

革新党秘书长肯尼思向本报透露,新加坡人民党秘书长、波东巴西区议员詹时中一度曾考虑加入革新党,以在大选时与革新党组成集选区竞选团队。

询及詹时中若加入革新党,他打算如何分享革新党领导权时,肯尼思说:“这只是个初步的想法,我们还没进一步进行讨论。”

**** 贾古玛教授: 如果要我退下,我将毫不犹豫 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp101224_014.shtml>
周殊钦, 联合早报

当记者问他是否将亲自监督这项新五年计划的落实时,贾古玛教授脸带微笑地回答说退任与否,一切交由李显龙总理和人民行动党领导层决定。

**** Speculation Causing Surge In COE Car Premiums? <http://sg.yfittopostblog.com/2010/12/24/speculation-causing-surge-in-coe-car-premiums/>
Alicia Wong, Yahoo!

Could the sudden increase in prices over the last two COE bidding sessions be due to speculation?

**** Singapore Musings <http://thewellspoint.com/2010/12/24/singapore-musings/>
The Wells Point

A couple things struck me as peculiarly Singaporean about some of the student’s reactions to the points I was trying to raise about the challenges involved in today’s hyper-competitive commercial photography market. First, keep in mind that Singaporeans are a notoriously pragmatic bunch.

**** Thick-skin Malaysians! <http://justread-whatever.blogspot.com/2010/12/thick-skin-malaysians.html>
Just Read!

Our diplomats are cool people, it seem. Our leaders, too will do nothing should Singapore jet fighter 'accidently' drops a bomb in Johor or firing at our fishermen.