[MyAppleMenu] Dec 21, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Dec 21 18:59:00 EST 2010

**** Foursquare Adds Photos, Comments To Location Check-ins <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/12/20/foursquare-adds-photos-comments-to-location-check-ins/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

The free app has just been updated and now adds two fun features -- adding photos and comments to check-ins. This is handy, since I currently have to use multiple apps to a) check in and b) send photos of delicious food to friends. Now it's all possible in one app. There's also a history page on the Foursquare website where you can see all of the places that you've visited.

**** Apple Releases iAd Producer <http://www.loopinsight.com/2010/12/20/apple-releases-iad-producer/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+%28The+Loop%29>
Jim Dalrymple, The Loop

Apple on Monday released a new app called iAd Producer, giving developers a quick and easy way to make iAds for apps in the App Store.

**** Does The App Store 20MB 3G Download Limit Matter? <http://bonobolabs.com/does-the-app-store-20mb-3g-download-limit-matter/>
Bonobo

So we spend hours cutting, trimming and squishing and finally got it down to 19.9MB, we patted ourselves on the back and submitted. Two weeks later Apple approved the app, we checked and it was 20.1MB!

Ah well we thought, won’t make that much of a difference will it? Yes it did, 40% drop in sales.

**** Mac OS X Dock Positions <http://brooksreview.net/2010/12/dock-positions/>
Ben Brooks, The Brooks Review

The only thing I can think of is that being left handed the left edge feels most natural for me.

**** CoconutBattery Review <http://www.macworld.co.uk/macsoftware/reviews/index.cfm?reviewid=3253778&olo=rss>
Karl Hodge, Macworld UK

**** Making The Most Of The iTunes Column Browser <http://www.macworld.com/article/156388/2010/12/itunes_column_browser.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

When you want to find a specific song or album in your iTunes library, you can use the Search field at the top-right of the application’s window and type part of its title. But one efficient way to access the content in your iTunes library is to use the iTunes Column Browser.

**** Random Shutoff Results In 'Shutdown Cause' Error <http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20026221-263.html>
Topher Kessler, CNET

**** It’s Official: EA Owns The App Store – Now What Do We Do? <http://iphone.ezone.com/?p=984>
Ezone

**** Big Retailers Discount Price Of Apple's iPhone For Holidays <http://www.nasdaq.com/aspx/stock-market-news-story.aspx?storyid=201012201737dowjonesdjonline000332&title=big-retailers-discount-price-of-apples-iphone-for-holidays>
Ian Sherr, Dow Jones

**** Apple Shutting Down Mac OS X Downloads Section Of Apple.com On Jan. 6, 2011 <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/12/20/apple-shutting-down-mac-os-x-download-site/>
Michael Grothaus, TUAW

**** Apple Releases New Santa-themed iPhone 4 Ad <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/12/21/apple-releases-new-santa-themed-iphone-4-ad/>
Michael Grothaus, TUAW

**** Apple Expects To Sell One Millionth New Apple TV This Week <http://www.loopinsight.com/2010/12/21/apple-expects-to-sell-one-millionth-new-apple-tv-this-week/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+%28The+Loop%29>
Peter Cohen, The Loop

It appears that the Apple TV is a “hobby” no longer. Apple announced Tuesday that it expects sales of its recently redesigned Apple TV to top one million units later this week.

**** Apple Releases iPhoto 9.1.1 <http://www.loopinsight.com/2010/12/21/apple-releases-iphoto-9-1-1/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+%28The+Loop%29>
Jim Dalrymple, The Loop

**** Outlook 2011 Review: Exchange Parity Comes To Mac OS X <http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2010/12/outlook-2011-review-exchange-parity-comes-to-mac-os-x.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Jonathan M. Gitlin, Ars Technica

We now have feature parity with our Windows-using colleagues, as well as a couple of features they don't have. The app isn't clunky or ugly, and as long as you can live with the limitations regarding multiple computers and the lack of CalDAV support, I see little reason not to upgrade from Entourage.

**** Apple Boots WikiLeaks App From App Store <http://www.macworld.com/article/156593/2010/12/wikileaks_app.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Gregg Keizer, Computerworld

**** Setting Your iPad To The Correct Time May Be Harder Than You Think <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/12/21/setting-your-ipad-to-the-correct-time-may-be-harder-than-you-thi/>
Mel Martin, TUAW

**** Adobe Acrobat X: Do You Feel Safe Yet? <http://www.macworld.com/article/156540/2010/12/acrobatsecurity.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Rich Mogull, Macworld

Despite all the vulnerabilities, and the mass exploitation of Reader and Acrobat on Windows, the actual risk to a Mac user today is immeasurably low. We just aren't seeing the attacks. But since there is no technical obstacle to exploiting a Mac running a vulnerable version of Acrobat or Reader, I still suggest keeping your eyes open for that dreaded day when some outlaw finally gets bored with the Windows platform.

**** Navmii Releases Free Turn-by-turn GPS App For iPhone, iPad <http://www.macworld.com/article/156566/2010/12/navmii_navfreeusa.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Serenity Caldwell, Macworld

The company’s Navfree USA app, released last Friday for the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad, features all the bells and whistles of a good GPS program—spoken turn-by-turn directions, automatic rerouting, and 1.6GB of offline map data—and it’s all available for free.

**** BusyMac's BusyToDo Syncs To-dos With MobileMe Calendar <http://www.macworld.com/article/156585/2010/12/busytodo.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Dan Moren, Macworld

It’s a question as old as the iPhone itself: how come we can sync calendar events between our Mac and our iOS devices, but not to-dos? BusyMac’s new BusyToDo app is the spackle for that particular hole—as long as you’re using Apple’s MobileMe service, that is.

**** Replacing Apple Downloads With The Mac App Store <http://stclairsoft.com/blog/2010/12/21/replacing-apple-downloads-with-the-mac-app-store/>
St Clair Software

**** Bejeweled 3 Review <http://www.maclife.com/article/reviews/bejeweled_3_review>
Susie Ochs, Mac Life

**** Why Apple Removed A WikiLeaks App From Its Store <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/21/why-apple-removed-wikileaks-app-from-its-store/?src=tptw>
Miguel Helft, New York Times

Trudy Muller, an Apple spokeswoman, said the company had removed the app “because it violated our developer guidelines.” Ms. Muller added: “Apps must comply with all local laws and may not put an individual or group in harm’s way.”

**** Searching For The Future Of Television <http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/26930/?ref=rss>
Robert D. Hof, Technology Review

Google and the geeks from Silicon Valley aim to revolutionize the 70-year-old TV industry. Conquering the Internet was easy in comparison.

**** The Courage Of Jill Costello <http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1178822/index.htm>
Chris Ballard, Sports Illustrated

After a promising junior season as a coxswain at Cal, she learned she was in the late stages of cancer. The next year was her best.

**** Bite Me <http://www.slate.com/id/2278240/>
Jesse Bering, Slate

An evolutionary case for cannibalism.

**** Writing At Night <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2010/dec/21/writing-at-night?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Matt Shoard, Guardian

The shortest day – or longest night – of the year it seems an apt moment to consider the enduring appeal to authors of the hours of darkness.

**** A Happy Nation Of Grumblers <http://trulysingapore.wordpress.com/2010/12/20/a-happy-nation-of-grumblers/>
Yours Truly Singapore

**** Let The Issues Be The Battleground <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC101221-0000144/Let-the-issues-be-the-battleground>
Timothy Lin, Today

Elections fought as much on issues affecting Singaporeans as on political will or personality can only result in a better slate of leaders for Singapore, and more robust socio-economic policies that will benefit all Singaporeans.

**** Govt Agency Outsources Work To Inmates <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1100355/1/.html>
Mustafa Shafawi, Channel NewsAsia

A government agency is providing offenders opportunities to pick up office skills. Inmates will learn data-entry skills during their incarceration thanks to a partnership between the agency, Vital.org, and the Singapore Corporation of Rehabilitative Enterprises (SCORE).

Vital.org, the government back-office for shared services such as HR, payroll, finance and training services, is the first government department to partner SCORE on such an initiative.

**** Singapore Stays Calm Amidst WikiLeaks Storm <http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/fmt-english/opinion/comment/14481-singapore-stays-calm-amidst-wikileads-storm->
Maxwell Coopers, Free Malaysia Today

**** A Team Operating At Less Than Full Strength <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2010/12/team-operating-at-less-than-full.html>
My Singapore News

**** Teamwork And Leadership: Lessons From TOC’s Face To Face Forum <http://dlzj.wordpress.com/2010/12/21/teamwork-and-leadership-lessons-from-tocs-face-to-face-forum/>
Icarus Flew Too High

What the WP chose to do at forum reveals a few things about the party and its rivals for power.

**** Temasek Holdings' Indonesia Assets May Be Seized <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/1100389/1/.html>
Chris Howells, Channel NewsAsia

The Indonesian Anti-Monopoly Agency said it is set to seize assets of Temasek Holdings in Indonesia, according to a report in the Koran Tempo newspaper.

The report said the Singapore investment company had failed to pay fines after being found guilty of breaching anti-competition laws in 2007.

**** Indonesia's Anti-trust Agency Seeks $13 Mln From Singapore <http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSL3E6NL0NO20101221>
Janeman Latul And Saeed Azhar, Reuters

Indonesia's anti-trust agency (KPPU) is seeking ways to seize assets worth 120 billion rupiah ($13 million) from Singapore's Temasek Holdings over an outstanding fine of the same amount, a KPPU commissioner said on Tuesday.

The company said it was not officially aware of the move. "Temasek has not received official notification from the Supreme Court," said Mr Goh Yong Siang, Senior Managing Director, Strategic Relations at Temasek.

**** How Stupid Do They Think We Are? <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4442-how-stupid-do-they-think-we-are->
Singapore Democrat Party

The PAP will go to whatever lengths and craft however silly responses just to ensure that Singaporeans do not become knowledgeable on socio-political issues and involved in activities that are initiated by civil society and the Singapore Democrats.

This is how Singapreans are dumbed down and starved of intellectual stimulation, reduced to automatons allowed only shopping and other banal recreational activities.