[MyAppleMenu] Dec 14, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Dec 14 18:59:00 EST 2010

**** Find My iPhone No Longer Needs Automatic Mail Delivery To Be Enabled <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/12/13/find-my-iphone-no-longer-needs-automatic-mail-delivery-to-be-ena/>
TJ Luoma, TUAW

**** Microsoft Office 2011 Update Fixes Bugs <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/12/13/microsoft-office-2011-update-fixes-bugs/>
Megan Lavey, TUAW

**** iSight Camera Not Working With Flash Sites <http://www.macworld.com/article/156357/2010/12/isight_flash.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** Apple Adds Playlist Publishing, Collaboration To Ping <http://www.macworld.com/article/156352/2010/12/itunes_ping_publish_playlists.html?lsrc=rss_main>
David Chartier, Macworld

When you click the arrow icon on a selected playlist in your iTunes sidebar, a new “Publish Playlist” option entices you to share your meticulously crafted collection with your Ping friends. You can give your published playlist a unique name and description, then drag and drop songs to put them in optimum listening order.

**** A Week Of Air <http://minimalmac.com/post/2301489338/a-week-of-air>
Patrick Rhone, MinimalMac

I’m using it as close to “out of the box” as I can and being very picky about the apps I install. As of this writing I still have over 30GB available.

**** How To Get Rid Of Duplicates In iPhoto <http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/how_get_rid_duplicates_iphoto>
Seamus Bellamy, Mac Life

**** Yojimbo 3 For Mac OS X <http://www.appletell.com/apple/comment/appletell-reviews-yojimbo-3-for-os-x/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+appletell+Appletell>
Bill Stiteler, Appletell

If your desktop is overwhelmed with text notes and screenshots, Yojimbo will make a great personal organizer that allows you to forget about them until you need them, and find them when you do. But despite this being the third version of the app, its functionality is peculiar and it doesn’t take advantage of all the information provided by image files. It’s not a seamless app, and if you want it’s help in organizing your desktop, you’ll have to spend a little time getting used to how it works. It’s a great thing for dumping files into. I just wish it were a little easier to get them out.

**** A Simple And Effective Backup Strategy For Mac OS X <http://www.messagingnews.com/onmessage/ben-gross/simple-and-effective-backup-strategy-mac-os-x>
Ben Gross, Messaging News

**** Apple's Popular Devices Enhance Business Outreach <http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=%2Fc%2Fa%2F2010%2F12%2F13%2FBUE41GPVSK.DTL>
Peter Burrows, Adam Satariano, Bloomberg

With more business people attracted to iPads and iPhones, Cupertino's Apple has been able to grab a share of corporate information-technology budgets without having to make so-called back-office gear.

**** 11-Inch MacBook Air Review: Tiny Awesomeness <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/12/13/11-inch-macbook-air-review-tiny-awesomeness/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

There are two things that I love about this computer already -- the lack of noise and heat.

**** Progress Bar Hangs When Emptying Trash In OS X <http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20025548-263.html>
Topher Kessler, CNET

When you empty the trash in OS X, the system will usually present a progress bar showing the number of files remaining to be removed if the number of items in the trash take longer than a moment to delete. Normally this will only take a few minutes and there is some indication that the trash process is working, such as the number of calculated items increasing, or the progress bar moving across the window; however, sometimes the progress window may appear to hang.

**** Appletell Reviews CloudApp Cloud-based File Sharing For Mac OS X <http://www.appletell.com/apple/comment/cloudapp-review-mac-friendly-free-web-based-file-transfers-and-more/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+appletell+Appletell>
Charles Moore, Appletell

**** Japanese Publishers Threaten To Bite Apple <http://blogs.wsj.com/japanrealtime/2010/12/14/japanese-publishers-threaten-to-bite-apple/>
Daisuke Wakabayashi, Wall Street Journal

Japanese consortium of book, e-book, magazine and digital comic publishers issued a stern rebuke of Apple’s enforcement of copyrights on its App Store. The group said certain works by renowned Japanese authors Haruki Murakami and Keigo Higashino have been illegally scanned and distributed over the App Store.

The consortium goes on to say Apple’s claim that it is not able to check for copyrighted material during the App screening process is “a wholly unconvincing explanation.”

**** Indie Mac Gift Pack Offers Discounted Mac Software For The Holidays <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/12/13/indie-mac-gift-pack-offers-discounted-mac-software-for-the-holid/>
Mike Schramm, TUAW

The Indie Mac Gift pack is offering six great Mac apps (Acorn 2, Delicious Library 2, MarsEdit 3, Radioshift, SousChef, and Sound Studio 4) for just $60, a savings of more than $200 if purchased separately at full price.

**** An American iPhone In Paris <http://techcrunch.com/2010/12/13/an-american-iphone-in-paris/>
MG Siegler, TechCrunch

There was something peculiar about my iPhone in Paris. It actually worked. Like it was supposed to. All the time. And it doesn’t take a genius to figure out why: there is no AT&T in Paris.

**** Mac IT Guy: Password Prompts <http://www.macworld.com/article/156369/2010/12/macitguyactivedirectory.html?lsrc=rss_main>
John C. Welch, Macworld

**** Google Voice App Adds iPod Touch, iPad Support <http://www.macworld.com/article/156387/2010/12/google_voice_update.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Dan Moren, Macworld

In addition to the expanded device support, Google added a few other enhancements and bug fixes in this version: for example, enabling Push Notifications will now automatically disable text-message forwarding, preventing you from getting multiple copies of the same message and helping you avoid exceeding your text message limits.

**** Macworld's 2010 App Gems Awards <http://www.macworld.com/article/156310/2010/12/appgems.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Philip Michaels, Macworld

**** Save Text Of Multiple E-mails <http://www.macworld.com/article/156362/2010/12/collect_email_archive.html?lsrc=rss_main>
David Chartier, Macworld

**** Software Aims To Prevent Crime <http://www.technologyreview.com/business/26887/?ref=rss>
Lauren Cox, Technology Review

A growing number of law-enforcement agencies are turning to analytics software to stop street violence before it happens.

**** Would It Be Ok If I Kept My Sweater On? <http://www.papermonument.com/web-only/would-it-be-ok-if-i-kept-my-sweater-on/>
Naomi Fry, Paper Monument

As my friend pointed out when we exited the gallery, a porno where, say, a woman prefers to keep her sweater on and touch her clitoris under the bedcovers would not be much of a porno. This might be true. But just as long as we’re exploring the myriad possibilities for female sexual expression, why not present this option as one among many? Under or over the covers, clothed or unclothed, penetrating or not penetrating – a girl can dream, can’t she?

**** Make Something Happen! <http://www.lrb.co.uk/v32/n23/julian-bell/make-something-happen>
Julian Bell, London Review Of Books

Here then is a protagonist who summons up, through his own vivid cantankerous presence, an early form of modern art culture. That’s to say, a scene that revolves around goods to hawk, strong personalities (Rosa’s letters constantly brandish his own ‘eccentric genius’) and public fora, rather than around site-specific works (frescoes, for example) linked to rooted systems of iconography and patronage. Of course these two styles of operation could coexist. The Rome inhabited by Rosa was also home to Pietro da Cortona, a master-decorator of palaces much as Veronese had been back in the 16th century. Yet there’s a sequential order. In Veronese’s Venice, exhibitions weren’t yet a feature of the scene: if we think about Rosa, we enter a new cultural zone, one that subsequently would be occupied by David, Delacroix and Courbet. His San Giovanni Decollato was a forerunner of the salons of those equally proud, shouty showmen.

**** Arrested Development <http://www.bookforum.com/inprint/017_04/6670>
Kerry Howley, Bookforum

Almost everything written about Paul Goodman refers to him as a "man of letters," a designation interesting only in that it indicates a terrific triumph of self-branding. Goodman very much enjoyed calling himself a man of letters, or sometimes an "old-fashioned man of letters," so stated with an air of declinist resignation, and could be counted on to complain if described as anything less. He produced essays with titles like "The Present Plight of a Man of Letters," the gist of which was that the plight was rather taxing, and that they don't make 'em like Paul Goodman anymore.

**** Are Stieg Larsson And Dan Brown A Match For Literary Fiction? <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/dec/12/genre-versus-literary-fiction-edward-docx>
Edward Docx, Guardian

I realise we are sailing into choppy waters here. With Larsson now dead and so decent a chap, how dare I go up on deck and start explaining – amid the storms of publicity and howl of Hollywood and the relentless sluicing of the sales – that his work is not very good even by the standards of his genre? Well because, in my view, we need urgently to remind ourselves of – for want of better terminology – the difference between literary and genre fiction; because, to misquote the literary essayist Isaac D'Israeli, "it seems to me a wretched national compulsion to be gratified by mediocrity when the excellent lies before us".

**** School Bus Fees To Go Up <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC101214-0000206/School-bus-fees-to-go-up>
Seet Sok Hwee, Today

School bus operators are expected to increase fees by between 10 and 20 per cent next year - due to the increase in oil and rubber prices, as well as insurance premiums.

**** 行不通的公共组屋政策 <http://singaporealternatives.blogspot.com/2010/12/blog-post_14.html>
吴明盛, Singapore Alternatives

**** Karpal: Singapore’s Allegations Of Anwar’s ‘Set-up’ Is In Contempt <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2010/12/14/nation/7617340&sec=nation>
Lisa Goh, The Star

The leaked US diplomatic cable stating that opposition leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim’s sodomy charge and trial “was a set-up job” and that he had “walked into it” is sub judice and a contempt of court, his lawyers said. Anwar’s counsel Karpal Singh said that it was “no doubt, contempt of court”.

**** Singapore’s Disdain Exposed <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2010/12/14/nation/7617664&sec=nation>
Mergawati Zulfakar, The Star

The general feeling among officials is that their Singapore counterparts do have condescending traits.

As the closest neighbour with supposedly warm ties, Singapore would do well to show some kind of regret over the remarks made by its officials.

**** Comments That Endorse Discrimination Of Migrant Workers <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/12/toc-focus-week-comments-that-leads-to-discrimination/>
Vanessa Ho, The Online Citizen

**** Singapore’s Education System: Moving Beyond The Status Quo <http://guanyinmiao.wordpress.com/2010/12/14/singapore’s-education-system-moving-beyond-the-status-quo/>
Guanyinmiao's Musings

**** PAP Leaders Step Up Branch Visits <http://sg.yfittopostblog.com/2010/12/14/pap-leaders-step-up-branch-visits/>
Faris, Yahoo!

**** The Time Stopped At 10:25 <http://boojunfeng.wordpress.com/2010/12/14/the-time-stopped-at-1025/>
Boo Junfeng

**** WikiLeaks: Wisma Putra Gives S'pore Protest Note Over Comments <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2010/12/14/nation/20101214161037&sec=nation>
The Star

Singapore's high commissioner to Malaysia T. Jasudasen was summoned by Wisma Putra over unjustified comments made by Singapore officials on Malaysia's leadership.

Foreign minister Datuk Seri Anifah Aman summoned the Singapore diplomat Tuesday and handed him Malaysia's official protest note over comments made by senior officials of the Singapore foreign ministry concerning the leadership of Malaysia and the situation in the country.

**** Singapore: Government That Works? <http://blog.benscole.com/2010/12/singapore-government-that-works.html>
Benjamin Cole, Google's Man in Africa

The government is largely autocratic and yet there is remarkably little corruption, an interesting contrast to some other countries I can think of. The government is also hugely paternalistic in its regulation of "morally hazardous" behaviors.

**** Wikileaks Leaves The World Topsy-turvy <http://www.mysinchew.com/node/49511?tid=14>
Lim Mun Fah, Sin Chew Daily

The question now is not that "someone behind you is saying something about you", but rather the question is that, after making irresponsible remarks, the other party is still making sarcastic comments, saying "If you are going to get angry about this, then you will never be happy."

But as the party who has been "bullied", if Malaysia wanted to retaliate, I am afraid that it would also be in a dilemma, because, as George Yeo put it, the phenomenon of "you talk about me, I blabber about you" will continue to occur.

**** Political Liberalisation And The Risk Of Religious Politics <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2010/12/14/political-liberalisation-and-the-risk-of-religious-politics/>
Yawning Bread

What we need as we open up, is a shoring up of consensus among citizens (as opposed to top-down fiat) that appeals to religion should have no place in our politics, and citizens themselves have to police this social contract vigilantly. We also need to develop a comprehensive secular discourse on all matters of public interest; there should be no need to resort to religious solutions for public affairs.

**** MFA Press Statement <http://app.mfa.gov.sg/2006/press/view_press_email.asp?post_id=6622>
Ministry Of Foreign Affairs, Singapore Government

Minister for Foreign Affairs George Yeo called Minister Anifah later in the day to clarify Singapore's policy of not commenting on leaks.

On the specific complaints raised by the Malaysians, what Singapore officials were alleged by WikiLeaks to have said did not tally with our own records. One purported meeting did not even take place.