[MyAppleMenu] Aug 28, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Aug 28 18:59:00 EDT 2010

**** Mac Gems: Decipher VoiceMail Saves iPhone Voicemail Message To Your Mac <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=82ae51b257f821dcc2c5a27612851bfa>
Roman Loyola, Macworld

Decipher VoiceMail is a program made specifically for voicemail retrieval from your iPhone backup. When you launch the program, it automatically finds your iPhone backup and voicemail files. It then displays a window that lists the voicemail files.

**** Apple Promises To Pay iPhone Developers Sooner, Regularly <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=bde83173bbed26ef56881f3b3b7995b1>
Nick Spence, Macworld UK

Apple has posted a note on its iPhone Dev Center Website promising to pay developers sooner and more frequently in future.

**** Mariner Software Releases Narrator 2.1 <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=bc2984114251137c040f56be2ce32b87>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

**** Lab Tests: New Quad-core And Eight-core Mac Pros <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=165ac43f92ae64444c2a3633c790788b>
James Galbraith, Macworld

Looking at individual test results, we see that the eight-core system is much faster at the those higher-end applications that take full advantage of multiple cores. MathematicaMark, for example, scored nearly 44 percent higher on the eight-core system than the new four-core system. Cinebench was 28 percent faster on the eight-core system.

**** Review: IScrapbook 3.0.4 <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=c3ede92ed3306da9014e52379a30d13f>
Katherine Murray, Macworld

With the vast array of changes in iScrapbook 3.0.4 and the expanded constellation of Smart Templates, iScrapKits, and page and album designs geared toward helping you create amazing pages easily, the $50 single user edition of the software is definitely worth the price.

**** Microsoft Co-Founder Launches Patent War <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703294904575385241453119382.html?mod=e2tw>
Dionne Searcey, Wall Street Journal

The 57-year-old software guru on Friday sued much of Silicon Valley, claiming Internet giants such as Google Inc., Facebook Inc. and eBay Inc. have built their businesses around what he says is his technology.

**** Bugs & Fixes: Solving A Mac Pro Sleep Problem <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=d75cc0af06196ac7bba598e5f1e1d43d>
Ted Landau, Macworld

**** Sell Your Own Music On iTunes With Indaba <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=ce292de9c55136e0d14f83e13c538a64>
David Dahlquist, Macworld

Indaba Music, a Website that lets musicians collaborate and make music online, has revamped its site to include a number of new services and features, including the ability for artists to sell their music on iTunes.

**** Don't Tell The Creative Department, But Software Can Produce Ads, Too <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=3ff198cb0fc6e2551b6a27018ed4d4eb>
Stiart Elliott, New York Times

For decades — maybe even since computers began arriving in workplaces in the 1960s — there have been predictions that machines will be able to perform the creative tasks that usually require human beings. An agency in Paris is offering a new twist on those venerable forecasts, to make a point about the creative process.

**** The Empty Family <http://feeds.guardian.co.uk/~r/theguardian/books/rss/~3/Z2pRIKkB7-o/colm-toibin-short-story>
Colm Tóibín, The Guardian

I have come back here. I can look out and see the soft sky and the faint line of the horizon and the way the light changes over the sea. It is threatening rain. I can sit on this old high chair that I had shipped from a junk store on Market Street and watch the calmness of the sea against the misting sky.

**** Being Wrong: Adventures In The Margin Of Error By Kathryn Schulz <http://feeds.guardian.co.uk/~r/theguardian/books/rss/~3/gWAUWR9DhVk/being-wrong-kathryn-schulz-review>
Stuart Jeffries, The Guardian

In this lovely book about human mistakes the sickeningly young, forbiddingly clever and vexingly wise American journalist Kathryn Schulz doesn't cite Aristotle, but he is a kindred spirit. Where Aristotle saw the value in a painful, ostensibly demeaning emotion, Schulz argues passionately for the value of error. The experience of being wrong, she argues, helps to make us better people, with richer lives.

**** The Language Of Exile <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=030e9bd122d0dd1be46f68ec6ea55cdf>
John Simon, New York Times

The Czech novelist Milan Kundera’s new essayistic book, “Encounter,” his fourth, is alternatingly elegiac and celebratory. An émigré from the Communist horror of what was then Czechoslovakia, he settled in Paris and proceeded to write in French. But he discovered in France “the sense that we have come to the era of post-art, in a world where art is dying because the need for art, the sensitivity and the love for it, is dying.”

**** Her Darkest Places <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=07eac9d715683f69d68bcb2ad4adb352>
Terrence Rafferty, New York Times

A lot of writers, both in and out of the horror genre, know how to create a sense of dread. What makes Jackson’s sensibility so distinctive is that her brand of dread tends to be self-aware and even, at times, self-amused. There’s often a tinge of embarrassment to her characters’ fear, simply because it’s so tenuous, so apparently sourceless: they can’t tell if what’s troubling them is something or nothing.

**** Using Guns And Cuffs For Communications Management In Singapore <http://thinkingbetterthinkingmeta.blogspot.com/2010/08/using-guns-and-cuffs-for-communications.html>
Sam Ho, Sam's Thoughts

Time and again, there will be overreactions and the media will report stories of people being arrested or called into question by the police. These are symbolic in the sense they represent what will happen to the rest of us if we tried to contribute to the democratic process. This is enough for my parents to tell me "politics is dirty" and "don't ever get into politics" and "your life can be taken away from you". We are all scared dogs. Scared dogs will obey and not blog shit about the ruling party.

**** Junk Mail Loophole <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_571768.html>
Irene Sim-Zeiler, Straits Times

Everyone knows that fliers are a safety issue and a fire hazard. Isn't it time we stopped this mess gathering outside our doors?

**** MHA: We Didn't Misinterpret Letter <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_571976.html>
Toh Yong Chuan, Ministry of Home Affairs, Straits Times

What we cannot agree with is Home's assertion that all illegal workers in Singapore should be treated as 'undocumented migrants' and that they should be exempt from liability for offences they may have committed under the Immigration Act.

**** If Abdul Malik Is A Potential Arsonist, Lee Kuan Yew Is A Potential Axe-murderer. <http://singaporeanskeptic.blogspot.com/2010/08/if-abdul-malik-is-arsonist-lee-kuan-yew.html>
Singaporean Skeptic

**** An Officer And A Gentleman <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2010/08/officer-and-gentleman.html>
Singapore Notes

One would have thought Enche Abdillah deserved praise for presenting a more positive image of the protectors of the law.

**** NSman Grilled Over Blog <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_571999.html>
Bryan Huang, Straits Times

An NSman with the Singapore Police Force has been called up for questioning by his reservist unit over comments he made on his blog on the handcuffing of a photojournalist in July.

Temasek Review, an online blog site, said Mr Abdillah Zamzuri, 26, disagreed with how the police handled the cuffing of Lianhe Wanbao photojournalist Shafie Goh, which took place during a flash flood on July 16. He also said that the officer 'acted stupidly' and that they should be sued.