[MyAppleMenu] Aug 22, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Aug 22 18:59:01 EDT 2010

**** Who Was Lining Up At The Apple Store Today? <http://scripting.com/stories/2010/08/21/whoWasLiningUpAtTheAppleSt.html>
Dave Winer, Scripting News

Here's how it was explained to me by someone who says they understand what I saw at the 5th Ave Apple store this morning.

**** Mac Gems: Free Inkscape Offers Powerful Drawing Tools <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=306c99d2a75a0f9fe40365ddf21c80a1>
John Brandon, Macworld

**** Sarah Silverman: The Bedwetter | Book Review <http://feeds.guardian.co.uk/~r/theguardian/books/rss/~3/kTz90qMwKrI/sarah-silverman-bedwetter-book-review>
Stephanie Merritt, The Guardian

"Look, there's not much useful to take away from this book," says Sarah Silverman, halfway through her memoir. "It's largely stories of a woman who has spent her life peeing on herself." This is not entirely true; at least, like the rest of this fascinating if frustrating memoir, it offers a glimmer of truth wrapped in a joke designed to keep the reader at arm's length.

**** Starbucks Re-opens After Flood <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_569391.html>
Jamie Ee Wen Wei, Straits Times

It opened its doors at 7am yesterday, after a major two-month renovation. The store was hit by a flash flood which partially submerged it on June 16, and again on July 17.

It is the second establishment in Liat Towers to re-open since the Orchard Road flood in June. Fast food restaurant Wendy's re-opened on July 30, after a $500,000 clean-up.

**** Singapore Bling <http://www.theaustralian.com.au/story/0,1,27573180-5002031,00.html>
Susan Kurosawa, The Australian

Jet into this tiny island nation for a few days, as I do last month, and you'll soon forget Singapore slings at Raffles Hotel and the rosy glow of colonial nostalgia; the new Singapore is all bling and bustle, cranes on the spiky skyline and lemongrass martinis served by mainland Chinese waiters beside cantilevered rooftop pools.

**** Unchecked Migration Could Swell Singapore, Halve Haiti <http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Unchecked+migration+could+swell+Singapore+halve+Haiti/3425517/story.html>
Jordi Zamora And Karin Zeitvogel, AFP

Singapore, New Zealand, Saudi Arabia and Canada would see their populations triple if everyone who wants to move there were allowed to, a poll released Friday by Gallup shows.

**** S’poreans Shedding Clothes, And Inhibitions <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2010/8/22/focus/6896821&sec=focus>
Cheryl Tan, The Star

Young Singaporeans are becoming more open about having nude photographs taken of themselves to mark special occasions such as weddings and birthdays.

**** 胡忠信:台湾政客掀“新加坡热”的真正意图 <http://news.ifeng.com/taiwan/1/detail_2010_08/22/2049616_0.shtml>
台海网

台湾政界以新加坡为师,固然有值得学习、取经之处,说穿了难道不是“选举挂帅”,意图在台湾政党恶斗的蓝绿泥沼之外,能打开一条“中间路线”?新加坡日前获国家竞争力排比世界第一,有其长期累积的主客观因素,绝不是“选举口号”所能望其项背。