[MyAppleMenu] Aug 3, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Aug 3 18:59:00 EDT 2010

**** E-book Contracts From Apple, Amazon Spur Anticompetitive Inquiry <http://feeds.appleinsider.com/click.phdo?i=bfd128ace00d6f3efaa59c7203f9b2e7>
AppleInsider

A new review of e-book contracts between publishers and content providers like Apple and Amazon aims to determine whether the deals are anticompetitive.

**** App Not Selling? There's A Place To Sell Its Code <http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-20012421-248.html?part=rss&amp;subj=news&amp;tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
Josh Lowonsohn, CNET

iPhone developers looking for an exit have a new place to sell their creation: iPhone Application List's "App Exchange."

**** Your Apps Could Be Leaking Private Info <http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/25921/?ref=rss&a=f>
Robert Lemos, Technology Review

Lookout researchers scanned more than 300,000 mobile applications and performed a deeper analysis of about a third of them. The project revealed that many developers do not disclose an app's data-harvesting behavior in their descriptions. But this may not be deliberate--developers often include third-party software components in their apps without vetting that component's behavior, the researchers say.

**** BBC Staff See Future Role For Apple's iPad <http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipod-itunes/news/index.cfm?newsid=3234030&pagtype=allchandate>
Nick Spence, MacWorld UK

The BBC are investing in Apple's iPad as a mobile device that may eventually replace both the desktop and laptop.

"We're seeding the organisation with the devices. We put some iPads into production and some into management and other roles to see if people would be able to give up their desktop," said the BBC's chief information officer John Linwood.

**** Sophos Brings Enterprise-level Encryption To The Mac <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=b95b9a51db1b7ffa15d6dc4cf027bf94>
David Chartier, Macworld

SafeGuard uses AES 256-bit encryption to encrypt Mac volumes, including the boot drive and any separate data drives. The encryption and decryption processes are transparent to the user, and SafeGuard allows for secure multi-user power-on authentication (POA), which requires a valid login in order to boot the system.

**** Apple Posts Digital Camera Raw Compatibility 3.3 Update <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=4e8a19dd087b31cc08941ccf233d1fb5>
David Dahlquist, Macworld

Version 3.3 is a minor update that extends RAW image format compatibility to Aperture 3 and iPhoto ’09 for eight new cameras: Canon PowerShot SX1 IS, Olympus E-PL1, Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2, Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10, Samsung NX10, Sony Alpha DSLR-A390, Sony Alpha NEX-3, and Sony Alpha NEX-5.

**** Office 2011 Pricing Penalzies Owners Of Multiple Macs <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=16598da44c9c0cc7f13ecba6944f767d>
Rob Griffiths, Macworld

So to fully license my five-Mac household—even though I’m the only user of Office—I’m looking at either $298 for two copies of the three-install Home and Student versions, or (gasp!) $757 for the Home and Office version (a single-install version at $199, and two two-install versions at $279 each). It feels like Microsoft is penalizing those who own multiple Macs simple because they own multiple Macs.

**** iPad Pushes Apple Into Top Mobile Ranks <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20012449-64.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
Brooke Crothers, CNET

The unstoppable sales juggernaut that is the iPad has pushed Apple past Dell, Lenovo, and Toshiba into the No. 3 slot for laptop shipments, according to a Deutsche Bank analyst.

**** There's Magic On Your Desktop <http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/03/theres-magic-on-your-desktop/?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Nick Bilton, New York Times

After a few days of use, the trackpad started to feel like a natural transition for computers as they enter a new era of multitouch, but it did take some getting used to.

**** Rumors In Astrophysics Spread At Light Speed <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/03/science/space/03kepler.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Dennis Overbye, New York Times

One culprit here is the Web, which was invented to foster better communication among physicists in the first place, but has proved equally adept at spreading disinformation. But another, it seems to me, is the desire for some fundamental discovery about the nature of the universe — the yearning to wake up in a new world — and a growing feeling among astronomers and physicists that we are in fact creeping up on enormous changes with the advent of things like the Large Hadron Collider outside Geneva and the Kepler spacecraft.

**** NumberPlay: Seat Six <http://wordplay.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/02/numberplay-seat-six/?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Gary Antonick, New York Times

You and a friend walk up to a table. You have your eye on one of its two chairs. Your friend sits first. What are the chances you get the seat you wanted?

**** Photos And Reflections From Arctic Alaska <http://scientistatwork.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/02/photos-and-reflections-from-arctic-alaska/?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Steve Zack, New York Times

Scientists at work in their offices, responding to e-mail, editing documents and returning phone calls — not the most stirring reading on the Web. But I do have more than 1,500 images from our recent Utukok River trip a few clicks away on my computer screen. It makes the wildlife viewing and memories, if not the mosquitoes, stirring.

**** August: Let's Get Rid Of It! <http://www.slate.com/id/2262351/?from=rss>
David Plotz, Slate Magazine

August is the Mississippi of the calendar. It's beastly hot and muggy. It has a dismal history. Nothing good ever happens in it. And the United States would be better off without it.

**** "The Rooster King" <http://www.slate.com/id/2262620/?from=rss>
Jay Hopler, Slate Magazine

**** Night Parking Charges Double.... <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2010/08/night-parking-charges-double.html>
Diary of A Singaporean Mind

If a non-SPT holder needs a parking lot in the vicinity because he is visiting his girlfriend or works the graveyard shift, he won't have any other choice except to park there even if they double the charges to $4.

**** Protecting The Rights Of Migrant Workers In Singapore <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/the-party/young-democrats/3992-protecting-the-rights-of-migrant-workers-in-singapore>
Charles Tan, Singapore Democrat Party

In the May TWC2 and HOME report (access the executive summary here, the NGOs claimed that despite enhanced legislation such as increasing mandatory hospitalisation insurance coverage, foreign workers still face barriers in reporting mistreatment.

**** 13 Errors In Fare System Spotted <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC100803-0000093/13-errors-in-fare-system-spotted>
Neo Chai Chin, Today

Yesterday, LTA said there were another 12 discrepancies in distance-based fares after checks were done with the public transport operators. The last of these errors were rectified on July 27, three weeks after the new fare system kicked in.

The greatest discrepancy discovered was for SBS Transit Service 170, from Johor Baru Checkpoint to Larkin Terminal. The initial computed distance of 9.5km has been corrected to 7.1km.

**** Is Singapore's Economic Growth Sustainable? <http://seekingalpha.com/article/218109-is-singapore-s-economic-growth-sustainable?source=feed>
Joshua Hong, Seeking Alpha

The main concern is that stagnant or falling productivity will eventually lead to a static economy; an example of this is Japan’s recession in 1989. To improve productivity, Singapore should invest more in education. As of now, Singapore invests roughly 2.9% of its GDP in education, a low number compared to other developed countries. The country tends to import foreign workers instead of investing in Singaporeans and nurturing talent.

**** 音乐剧《雨季》和《炒饭天堂》重演 冷饭”能炒出热香? <http://www.zaobao.com/fk/fk100803_001.shtml>
周文龙, 联合早报

为何本地戏剧界不约而同重炒“冷饭”?这是对过去音乐剧作品的肯定,还是因本地原创音乐剧的选择太少?

**** Domestic Costs Drive Inflation, Not Import Prices <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2010/08/03/domestic-costs-drive-inflation-not-import-prices/>
Yawning Bread

**** S'pore Must Defend Integrity Of Institutions Of Justice & Law Enforcement: DPM Wong <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1073061/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

"If we do not do so and allow vicious falsehoods to perversely masquerade itself as the truth, we will eventually lose our moral authority and with it, our effectiveness to achieve our mission to keep Singapore safe and secure."

**** The Youth Olympic Games – Why The Great Apathy? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/08/the-youth-olympic-games-why-the-great-apathy/>
Ng E-Jay, The Online Citizen

Has our nation really become so superficial, focusing only on winning medals and enhancing our international reputation in the short term, rather than on nurturing our precious stock of human capital for the long run?

Is this why so many Singaporeans have become disinterested in the Games, because they sense the superficiality of it all and the fact that the government will easily set them aside once they are deemed of lesser value compared to the foreigners that can be easily imported?

**** Lapses & Weaknesses In Management Of Public Funds In Some Ministries, Govt Agencies <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1073094/1/.html>
Hetty Musfirah Abdul Khamid, Channel NewsAsia

Lapses and weaknesses in the internal controls over the management of public funds have been found in several ministries and government agencies. This was revealed in the Auditor-General's report for the financial year 2009/2010 released on Tuesday.

But the lapses were not as severe as those highlighted in last year's report, which involved millions of dollars that could have been spent more prudently.

**** KTM Land : Singapore Snookered Us Again? <http://syedsoutsidethebox.blogspot.com/2010/08/ktm-land-singapore-snookered-us-again.html>
Syed Akbar Ali, OutSyed The Box

**** Singapore Survey 2010: Beyond LKY <http://www.timeoutsingapore.com/art/galleries/singapore-survey-2010-beyond-lky>
Time Out Singapore

So what will the future look like after LKY? The answers will be revealed over the course of 20 artworks that will be exhibited or performed, with the majority of them specially created for the show.

**** 45 Feelings Of Gratitude <http://sporadicscribblings.wordpress.com/2010/08/02/45-feelings-of-gratitude/>
Sporadic Scribblings