[MyAppleMenu] Apr 25, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Apr 25 18:59:00 EDT 2010

**** Inertial Scrolling Should Be Possible On All Multi-touch Trackpads <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/04/24/inertial-scrolling-should-be-possible-on-all-multi-touch-trackpa/>
Chris Rawson, TUAW

**** Israel Lifts Ban On Apple’s iPad, Communications Ministry Says <http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-04-24/israel-lifts-ban-on-apple-s-ipad-communications-ministry-says.html>
Calev Ben-David, Bloomberg

Israel has lifted a ban forbidding tourists and citizens from bringing Apple Inc.’s iPad into the country, the Communications Ministry said in an e-mailed statement.

**** Testing The iPad’s Trip-Worthiness <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/25/travel/25prac.html?ref=technology>
Bob Tedeschi, New York Times

I haven’t had the chance to road test the iPad while vacationing, but after two solid weeks spent testing it on a virtual vacation — a multi-continent jaunt through backwoods, beach and city without leaving my couch — here’s my verdict: if you have an extra $500 to $700 to spend on one, plus another $100 or so for some great apps, it’s worth the plunge.

**** How The iPad Will Change The iPhone Game Industry <http://techcrunch.com/2010/04/24/how-the-ipad-will-change-the-iphone-game-industry/>
Alex Ahlund, TechCrunch

The iPad is a device that may be misunderstood for a while. It’s certainly not revolutionary in the typical sense, but its subtle influences may eventually justify that characterization. We can surely expect to see even more casual users jumping on the band wagon and certainly a spike in casual game development for the device. As the product evolves, becoming more powerful feature-rich, it may become even more ubiquitous than we expect. This will be an extremely interesting space to watch within the coming months and years.

**** How Apple Chic Whips Rivals <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20003321-64.html?part=rss&amp;subj=news&amp;tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
Brooke Crothers, CNET News

On top of the allure of the aluminum designs, MacBooks are sequestered, at retail, in their own special space--whether it be Fry's or Best Buy (what Best Buy calls "Apple Shops"), very visibly separated from the crush of Windows 7 machines. This, in turn, leads consumers to partition Apple products in their minds: Apple versus "others."

**** Woz Accidentally Gets Apple Engineer Fired For Showing iPad <http://www.cultofmac.com/woz-accidentally-gets-apple-engineer-fired-for-showing-ipad/39931>
Leander Kahney, Cult of Mac

While Woz was waiting in line to buy the iPad last month, an Apple test engineer showed him a prototype iPad. It was just a few hours before the device went on sale. Woz, who is still an Apple employee, fired up the Numbers app. Little did he know, the unit was 3G test prototype, and was not to be shown or used outside of secure areas at the company HQ.

**** Five iPhone App Design Mistakes, And How To Fix Them <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/04/25/voices-that-matter-iphone-five-iphone-app-design-mistakes/>
Eriica Sudan, TUAW

**** Separate Truths <http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2010/04/25/separate_truths/?rss_id=Boston+Globe+--+Ideas+section>
Stephen Prothero, Boston Globe

It is misleading — and dangerous — to think that religions are different paths to the same wisdom.

**** Alex's Adventures In Numberland By Alex Bellos <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/apr/25/alex-bellos-adventures-numberland-mathematics?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
David Bodanis, The Guardian

David Bodanis grapples with inventive new ways of making the world add up.

**** Pardon My French <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/25/arts/25abroad.html>
Michael Kimmelman, New York Times

So what does French culture signify these days when there are some 200 million French speakers in the world but only 65 million are actually French?

**** Micro Financing - Workable Model In Singapore? <http://tattooedbanker.blogspot.com/2010/04/micro-financing-workable-model-in.html>
Tattooed Banker

**** Subsidy For Public Transport <http://tankinlian.blogspot.com/2010/04/subsidy-for-public-transport.html>
Tan Kin Lian

I feel that taxis should also be considered as public transport and should receive some subsidy, although not to the same extent as for buses and trains. This will make taxi fares less costly and encourage more people to take taxis, rather than to drive private cars.

**** CPF Has Worked Well For Singaporeans’ Retirement? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/04/cpf-has-worked-well-for-singaporeans%e2%80%99-retirement/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

**** Sands To Open Big Bet In Asia <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703441404575205901790694036.html?mod=rss_whats_news_us>
Jonathan Cheng and Alexandra Berzon, Wall Street Journal

With a floating garden that overlooks Singapore's glitzy waterfront from about 200 meters in the air, the Marina Bay Sands is an architectural showstopper. It is also a massive US$5.7 billion bet on the future of Asian gambling.

**** Singapore Boosts Local Farming For Food Security <http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gUZ9O7tzkfGCYcNnTuUtopklyNzw>
Bernice Han, AFP

Soaring food prices in 2008, driven by a global supply crunch, reminded Singapore of its vulnerability and prompted the government to take a fresh look at its agricultural policies and support investors willing to go into farming.