[MyAppleMenu] Apr 10, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Apr 10 18:59:00 EDT 2010

**** Twitter For iPhone <http://blog.twitter.com/2010/04/twitter-for-iphone.html>
Twitter Blog

We're thrilled to announce that we've entered into an agreement with Atebits (aka Loren Brichter) to acquire Tweetie, a leading iPhone Twitter client. Tweetie will be renamed Twitter for iPhone and made free (currently $2.99) in the iTunes AppStore in the coming weeks.

**** Apple Kneecaps Competitors And Partners <http://rc3.org/2010/04/09/apples-kneecaps-competitors-and-partners/>
rc3.org

Apple already has very wide latitude in deciding which apps will be approved for the store. If apps are low quality, they can be declined. And Apple can always issue more guidelines to application developers based on the content of the apps rather than on which tools were used to build them, requiring companies who create libraries to help produce iPhone applications to meet certain standards in terms of look, feel, and functionality in order to be included. It’s not necessary to cut everyone off.

**** Reading Between The iPhone OS 4.0 Lines <http://daringfireball.net/2010/04/reading_between_the_iphone_os_4_lines>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

The number one priority at Apple is to grow mobile market share faster than Android. Anything that is not directly competitive with Android is on the back burner.

**** Apple's Prohibition Of Flash-built Apps In iPhone 4.0 Related To Multitasking <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/04/09/apples_prohibition_of_flash_built_apps_in_iphone_4_0_related_to_multitasking.html>
AppleInsider

The primary reason for the change, say sources familiar with Apple's plans, is to support sophisticated new multitasking APIs in iPhone 4.0. The system will now be evaluating apps as they run in order to implement smart multitasking. It can't do this if apps are running within a runtime or are cross compiled with a foreign structure that doesn't behave identically to a native C/C++/Obj-C app.

**** Developers Unearth More Features In iPhone OS 4.0 <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/04/devs-say-iphone-os-40-is-a-treasure-trove-of-features.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

Thursday's announcement immediately turned up evidence that Apple might be adding a flash to the iPhone's camera, thanks to functions named VCaptureDevice.hasFlash, AVCaptureDevice.flashMode, and AVCaptureDevice.hasTorch. Apple is allegedly investigating LED flash options, which would make such a feature very BlackBerry-like. Additionally, the latest iPhone SDK continues to contain hints about a front-facing camera as well as iChat support.

**** Apple Takes Aim At Adobe... Or Android? <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/04/apple-takes-aim-at-adobe-or-android.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Peter Bright, Ars Technica

Apple's current—and in our opinion, objectionable—position is now close to the complete opposite of its initial stance. From promoting openness and standards, the company is now pushing for an ever more locked-down and restricted platform. It's bad for competition, it's bad for developers, and it's bad for consumers.

**** You're Getting More Ads, And You're Gonna Like It <http://www.slate.com/id/2250234/?from=rss>
Farhad Manjoo, Slate Magazine

Why is Steve Jobs trying to convince us that iPhone ads are a good thing?

**** iPad Envy <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=782bf292209aadd436a6ff0e423e5afc>
Rob Walker, New York Times

We shouldn’t make fun of early adopters for their vanity; we should thank them for being our guinea pigs, and enthusiastic ones at that.

**** Apple And The iPad: It’s 1968 All Over Again <http://www.thepomoblog.com/index.php/apple-and-the-ipad-its-1968-all-over-again/>
Terry Heaton’s PoMo Blog

So the fact that it is Apple that’s trying to put the toothpaste back into the tube with its “i” series of devices and ecosystems is truly stunning, if you take a step back and look at the bigger picture.

But for all that’s happening, I think it is Wozniak’s spirit that will prevail, for once having tasted freedom, it’s pretty hard for people to go the other way.

**** More Fuzzy E-Book Numbers, This Time From Apple <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/09/more-fuzzy-e-book-numbers-this-time-from-apple/?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Brad Stone, New York Times

In releasing e-book numbers that mean little, Apple is taking a cue from its rival, Amazon.com.

**** Apple's New iPhone App Rules: Unreasonable And Unjustifiable <http://www.pcworld.com/article/193916/apples_new_iphone_app_rules_unreasonable_and_unjustifiable.html>
JR Raphael, PC World

**** Jobs Bans Non C Libraries. Insane Restraint Of Trade <http://whydoeseverythingsuck.com/2010/04/jobs-bans-non-c-libraries-insane.html>
Hank Williams, Why Does Everything Suck?

I have no question that this will be tested in court. I don't think there has ever been a case like this because only Apple could make such a ridiculous attempt to control how developers work. But what is interesting here is that allowing this provision to go to trial may put the entire App Store concept under a legal microscope. Because it seems to me there is a reasonable risk that not only is 3.3.1 restraint of trade, but that the entire "you can only sell apps on iPhones and iPod touches that we approve" thing is found to be restraint of trade. Wouldn't that be tasty.

**** What A Bad Week It's Been For Apple's Adversaries <http://www.pcworld.com/article/193921/what_a_bad_week_its_been_for_apples_adversaries.html>
Tom Kaneshige, PC World

Apple has had one of the most spectacular weeks in mobile tech history, taking dead aim at Adobe, Amazon and now Google.

**** Don’t Forget, There Is A Browser On That iPad <http://bijansabet.com/post/510354750/dont-forget-there-is-a-browser-on-that-ipad>
Bijan Sabet

The web wins again!

**** Duet For Two Pens <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/11/books/review/Howard-t.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Richard Howard, New York Times

How the communion of writer and translator bridges generations, cultures and languages.

**** The Sour House <http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/articles/17HAN09/Article/index_html>
Matthew Hollis, The Guardian

**** Chee's Convenient Exclusion <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_512773.html>
Lina Chiam, Singapore People's Party, Straits Times

**** Foreigner First Practice Rankles <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?col=insightdownsouth&file=/2010/4/10/columnists/insightdownsouth/6019576&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

**** Mini CIQ For Pedestrians In JB To Start Next Year <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2010/4/10/nation/20100410143847&sec=nation>
Farik Zolkepli, The Star

Construction of the proposed mini Customs, Immigration and Quarantine (CIQ) complex for pedestrians in Johor Baru, is expected to start by next year, says Johor Baru MP Datuk Shahrir Samad.