[MyAppleMenu] Apr 4, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Apr 4 18:59:00 EDT 2010

**** iPad And Multitasking <http://ihnatko.com/2010/04/03/ipad-and-multitasking/>
Andy Ihnatko's Celestial Waste of Bandwidth (BETA)

It disappoints me to see commentators on TV today dinging the iPad for a lack of multitasking. A tech expert whose mission is to communicate tricky technology to civilian audiences can’t let that pitch go by with a flat “no.” You also shouldn’t offer a flat “yes” but at least the statement “the iPad OS multitasks” is technically correct. You’re there to educate. Which means that you don’t want people to come away thinking that (for example) iPod playback stops when you try to get your mail or fire off a Tweet.

**** The iPad's Charging Challenge Explained <http://www.macworld.com/article/150356/2010/04/ipadcharging.html>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

In short, there’s nothing wrong with your iPad; it’s just hungry for power. In this respect, the iPad is a lot like many USB hard drives and Apple’s external optical drive for the MacBook Air: it needs more juice than the typical USB port provides.

**** iPad’s Safari Edges Closer To The Desktop <http://www.macworld.com/article/150313/2010/04/safari_ipad.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

For some sites, iPad browsing is an incredible experience; for others, you’ll find yourself saving URLs to visit later on your Mac. The good news is that, compared to the iPhone, the balance has shifted significantly towards the former and away from the latter.

**** Customers Line Up For First iPads <http://www.macworld.com/article/150326/2010/04/ipad_sales.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Serenity Caldwell, David Dahlquist, Lynn La, Roman Loyola, Marco Tabini, Macworld

Early adopters in New York, Massachusetts, and San Francisco clamor for Apple’s latest device.

**** iPad Teardown <http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad-Teardown/2183/1>
iFixIt

The iPad battery is alot bigger than an iPhone 3G battery. The iPhone battery has about 1/5th the capacity provided by the iPad battery.

**** In The Line For An iPad: A First-person Account <http://www.macworld.com/article/150341/2010/04/ipadwaitline.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Rob Griffiths, Macworld

Saturday morning, I found myself in déjà vu land all over again, as they say. I spent the morning standing in line outside the Washington Square Apple Store in Tigard, Oregon—standing in nearly the same spot as when I queued up for the release of the original iPhone in 2007.

**** One Man's Long Wait For The UPS Guy <http://www.macworld.com/article/150378/2010/04/ipad_waiting.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

Minutes went by, and no iPad arrived. But soon that minute stretched to an hour. And then another.

**** An Estimated 700,000 iPads Bought On Day One - Plus A Steve Jobs Sighting In Palo Alto <http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_14814960?source=most_viewed>
John Boudreau, San Jose Mercury News

A number of Apple apostles did experience more than the thrill of holding a new shiny object: They got a serendipitous jolt of tech royalty. In San Jose, over-nighters and early-risers got to hobnob with Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak, who joined the pre-iPad vigil at 6 p.m. Friday at Valley Fair Shopping Mall. In Palo Alto, Apple CEO Steve Jobs sauntered unannounced into the University Avenue store shortly before noon to drink in the scene.

**** An Initial Miscellany Of The iPad <http://shawnblanc.net/2010/04/initial-ipad-miscellany/>
Shawn Blanc

My first thought was that the iPad actually is the best way to experience the Web. Safari is so fast, and navigating around with your fingertips is so natural.

**** Why Apple Is Still Generating Buzz <http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2010/04/04/why_apple_is_still_generating_buzz/>
Scott Kirsner, Boston Globe

Few companies generate so much ink around new products, or anticipation of what’s coming next. It seemed like a good time to ask designers, entrepreneurs, and executives around Boston — some former Apple competitors, some ex-employees, and some just admirers — what makes the Silicon Valley company so special, and what they’ve learned from Apple and its famous chief executive.

**** Why The iPad Will Change Blogging For Me <http://gigaom.com/2010/04/02/why-ipad-will-change-blogging-for-me/>
Om Malik, GigaOm

In many ways, the iPad’s lack of multitasking ability makes it worthy of focusing on just the task at hand. In my brief usage of the device at the time of its unveiling, I felt a near-complete interaction with an email or a document or a web page. That was near nirvana when it came to consumption of content.

**** iPad App Pricing: A Last Act Of Insanity By Delusional Content Companies <http://charman-anderson.com/2010/04/02/ipad-app-pricing-a-last-act-of-insanity-by-delusional-content-companies/>
Suw Charman-Anderson, Strange Attractor

Looking at the iPad app rollout, you can easily separate the digital wheat from the chaff in the content industries, and you can see those who are developing digital businesses and those who are trying to protect print margins and who see the iPad as a vertical, closed model to control and monetise content.

**** Refined Apple iPad Delivers A Great Experience <http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2011518062_appleipadreview04.html>
Jeff Carlson, Seattle Times

My overall impression is that Apple recognizes that details matter, contributing to a great experience. The iPad goes to great lengths to cater to people who are unfamiliar with computers or who respond better when put at ease.

**** Consumed: Slightly Used - Human Tools <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/04/magazine/04fob-consumed-t.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Rob Walker, New York Times

What can we learn from our (seemingly) pointless tools?

**** Authoritarianism Vs. The Internet <http://www.hoover.org/publications/policyreview/89175117.html>
Daniel Calingaert, Hoover Institution

The race between freedom and repression.

**** Can Animals Be Gay? <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/04/magazine/04animals-t.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Jon Mooallem, New York Times

The science of same-sex pairings in the wild.

**** S'poreans Must Not Create An Image That New Immigrants Are Not Welcomed: SM Goh <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1047693/1/.html>
S.Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

Singaporeans should not create the image that immigrants are not welcomed in the country. Speaking at a gathering for new residents in Marine Parade on Saturday, Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong also urged new Singaporeans and permanent residents to play their part to make their community a better place to live in.

**** Chee Soon Juan Calls Reports That He Ousted Chiam See Tong A "Blatant Lie" <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1047698/1/.html>
S Ramesh , Channel NewsAsia

Secretary-general of the Singapore Democratic Party (SDP), Dr Chee Soon Juan, has described local press reports that he had ousted former leader Chiam See Tong from the party as a "blatant lie".

**** 从U频道新闻结束说起 <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl100404_006.shtml>
符诗专, 联合早报

对当年支持报业传讯优频道新闻的观众及笃信媒体事业要有竞争才会有所表现的国人而言,这样的结局难免让人唏嘘。可换个角度来看,优频道及整合之后的U频道新闻过去近10年的奋斗,对长期风平浪静的新加坡媒体业来说,却是难得的精彩篇章。

**** Censored In Singapore <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/04/opinion/04pubed.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Clark Hoyt, New York Times

Singapore is tiny, with a population of around five million, but it has outsized economic power as a financial hub, making it an important source of news. For The Herald Tribune, the economic stakes are large: more than 10 percent of its Asian circulation is in Singapore. It prints papers there that are distributed throughout the region. It sells advertising to companies throughout Asia that want to reach readers in Singapore.

Google faced a similar painful dilemma in China. With potentially billions of dollars at risk, it stuck to its principles, and The Times applauded editorially. I think Google set an example for everyone who believes in the free flow of information.

**** Young Singaporean Businessmen See Potential In Iskandar Malaysia <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2010/4/4/nation/5992667&sec=nation>
The Star

Young Singaporean entrepreneurs in small and medium industries (SMIs) are optimistic about investing in Iskandar Malaysia, especially in supporting businesses such as the services and logistics sectors.

**** Al Jazeera English Dropped From SingTel Mio TV From April 1st <http://dlzj.wordpress.com/2010/04/03/al-jazeera-english-dropped-from-singtel-mio-tv-from-april-1st/>
Icarus Flew Too High

Perhaps Al Jazeera has rattled the nerves of the ruling elite with a host of programs scrutinizing the socio-economic problems in Singapore, more so than any other news channel (including the venerable BBC World News).

**** 新加坡‧一句“把垃圾丟到新加坡”‧Facebook掀罵戰 <http://www.sinchew.com.my/node/155520?tid=2>
星洲日報

竟有人設立這樣的網站,叫馬來西亞網友“把垃圾丟到新加坡”!

**** StarHub Sees Content Costs Staying High <http://news.asiaone.com/News/The%2BBusiness%2BTimes/Story/A1Story20100401-208059.html>
Winston Chai, Business Times

An intended benefit of government intervention may not materialise after all, as Singapore's largest pay-TV operator says that content acquisition costs could stay high despite the new cross-carriage ruling. 'It doesn't mean that once (content) is non-exclusive, it (prices) will go down,' StarHub chief operating officer Tan Tong Hai said yesterday. 'Some providers still attach a premium to their content.'

**** Raiding The Homeless – Part Two <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/04/raiding-the-homeless-–-part-two/>
Andrew Loh, The Online Citizen

While the minister for MCYS was promising the moon to poorer S’poreans, officers from his ministry and Nparks were raiding the homeless at Changi Beach, clearing them away before Al Jazeera came calling.

**** Removing Trunk Services For Buses <http://flaneurose.blogspot.com/2010/04/removing-trunk-services-for-buses.html>
Flaneurose

Reducing the variability in journey time is an unalloyed "good thing". But what concerns me is that our public transportation system may not be completely set up for a hub and spoke system.

**** A Grave Injustice <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2010/4/4/focus/5987567&sec=focus>
Roger Tan, The Star

As a Malaysian, I am touched by the determination and resolve of the people and government of Singapore in their pursuits for justice for our countryman Tong. In this regard, our government must support the Singapore government by putting pressure on the Romanian government to waive Ionescu’s immunity and ensure that Ionescu will stand trial in Singapore for causing Tong’s death and grievous injuries to two others.

**** The Little Red Dot In The East <http://www.businessworld.in/bw/2010_03_27_The_Little_Red_Dot_In_The_East.html>
Kandula Subramaniam, Businessworld

'Looking East To Look West' examines the complex relationship between Singapore and India elaborating the role of Lee Kuan Yew's Mission India and the implications of India's 'Look East' policy.

**** Bread Talk: We Do Not Want To Hire Singaporeans <http://www.temasekreview.com/2010/04/04/bread-talk-we-do-not-want-to-hire-singaporeans/>
The Temasek Review

Perhaps it is time for the PAP to consider changing its name to “Phor-eigner Action Party” (”phor” meaning to please in Hokkien) to better reflect its mission statement and vision for Singapore – that it is acting more in the interests of foreigners than Singapore voters.

**** Gastronomic Odyssey <http://beta.thehindu.com/arts/magazine/article365186.ece>
Nimi Kurian, The Hindu

There is much to do in Singapore: shopping, sightseeing and, of course, checking out the wide variety of restaurants that offer a range of epicurean delights.

**** Election Battle Lines Form As Opposition Increases Visibility In Constituencies <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1047828/1/.html>
Satish Cheney, Channel NewsAsia

The battle lines are starting to appear, as anticipation of a General Election grows. They include the group representation constituencies (GRCs), which the opposition parties have started to show interest in.

**** Press Muse – Calling STOMP’s Bluff <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/04/press-muse-calling-stomps-bluff/>
The Online Citizen